Crabbing in Newport 02-25-12 - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Cohokanee Killer
Steelhead

Default Crabbing in Newport 02-25-12

I might have changed my mind about trying to crab if I knew it was the seafood/wine festival in Newport over the weekend. I think they must have gone out and caught every crab in the ocean for it. This was my second worst day of crabbing EVER. We crabbed for almost 6 hours with 9 pots (three of us in the boat) and got 6 keeper crab. We actually caught more cabazon in our crab pots than keeper crab. We had 7 of those things go after our chicken!

The weather was entertaining, though. We had sun and blue-sky patches, rain, hail, and snow, and crazy wind. And it rotated like that throughout the day. Nothing too bad, though. Everyone else must have known the crabbing was going to suck because there was only two or three other boats out the whole day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabazon.jpg (176.0 KB, 360 views)

Cohokanee Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Don't fish e nuff
Chromer

Default Re: Crabbing in Newport 02-25-12

Didn't know it was going to suck, I just stay clear crowds.
Don't fish e nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
KingSlew
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohokanee Killer View Post
I might have changed my mind about trying to crab if I knew it was the seafood/wine festival in Newport over the weekend. I think they must have gone out and caught every crab in the ocean for it. This was my second worst day of crabbing EVER. We crabbed for almost 6 hours with 9 pots (three of us in the boat) and got 6 keeper crab. We actually caught more cabazon in our crab pots than keeper crab. We had 7 of those things go after our chicken!

The weather was entertaining, though. We had sun and blue-sky patches, rain, hail, and snow, and crazy wind. And it rotated like that throughout the day. Nothing too bad, though. Everyone else must have known the crabbing was going to suck because there was only two or three other boats out the whole day.
Those aren't cabazon...lol!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Tide Change
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSlew View Post
Those aren't cabazon...lol!
Thanks for the crabbing report.

Those bait thieves are most likely sculpin, or sometimes commonly called bullheads.

Visit www.OCEANED.org
Tide Change is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
Cohokanee Killer
Steelhead

I wasn't exactly sure what they were, but they look very similar to pics I saw online. Thanks for setting me straight. I'll post some other pics later...not that it really matters, just in case someone wants a different look.

Last edited by Cohokanee Killer; 02-26-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
stormin striper
Fry

Everyone knows that 1 week after commercial crabbers go out sport crabbing is nomore. Why is that when there is a differance in size. Good Question. Any one ever seen a commercial crabber have his load of crabs scrutinezed and maybe fined for a crab 1/8" undersize.The answer is no and the reason? What is the fine for a load of 20,000 lb Crabs all under size I heard 500.00 if so the fine and punishment doesn't meet the crime.
So what was the money for shell license for surely not to protect the sport crabbing for sure.
stormin striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
dutchvon60
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohokanee Killer View Post

crabing on the weeked is tuff
dutchvon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Cohokanee Killer
Steelhead

Here's some more pics of the mystery(to me) fish. I guess it does appear it could be an antlered sculpin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0747.jpg (189.5 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0743.jpg (180.6 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0739.jpg (209.4 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by Cohokanee Killer; 02-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
FirstH2O
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin striper View Post
Everyone knows that 1 week after commercial crabbers go out sport crabbing is nomore. Why is that when there is a differance in size. Good Question. Any one ever seen a commercial crabber have his load of crabs scrutinezed and maybe fined for a crab 1/8" undersize.The answer is no and the reason? What is the fine for a load of 20,000 lb Crabs all under size I heard 500.00 if so the fine and punishment doesn't meet the crime.
So what was the money for shell license for surely not to protect the sport crabbing for sure.
YES, They also spot check the totes at the processors.It's not worth it the deck gets the ticket so it's not worth your pay check.GIVE ME A BREAK WHY I"M I TYPING SOME PEOPLES KIDS.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
flatlander
Chromer

I'm not sure about the fish, but you do have some of the prettiest and cleanest crab pots I have ever seen. On the other hand, how the heck did you manage to find your way to the boat ramp? All I could see was motor homes in the trailer parking area! You must have felt like a Kayaker in a duck pond on opening day.
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Rod-or-Spear
Coho

Thanks for the report. I believe those are buffalo sculpin. http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/projects...losculpin.html
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Cohokanee Killer
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I'm not sure about the fish, but you do have some of the prettiest and cleanest crab pots I have ever seen. On the other hand, how the heck did you manage to find your way to the boat ramp? All I could see was motor homes in the trailer parking area! You must have felt like a Kayaker in a duck pond on opening day.
Thanks, it's no fun to keep the pots in good shape, but I also don't want to have to replace them every few years!

The motorhomes and campers were crazy. When we first pulled in, I didn't think we'd have anywhere to park the truck, but fortunately they left the last few rows for the boat launch. After seeing the lines for the seafood/wine festival, I was glad we weren't there for that. That was nucking futs!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
Barkeater
Steelhead

The wait to get into the Seafood & Wine Festival was 1-2 hrs. We bailed after waiting 15 minutes (mardi gras scene) and had lunch at Gino's. Then had a great weekend in Florence.
Never again.