Hydrofoils, Stabilizers, Fins for Cavitation Plate - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 02-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Bushnell1
Steelhead

Default Hydrofoils, Stabilizers, Fins for Cavitation Plate

What ever you call them, has anyone had good or bad experiences with these on larger boats and outboard motors?

I had one the 25 Mariner on my little 13 foot Boston Whaler, It worked great to plane the boat out quick. It was a SE Sport 300. I never had a complaint with it.

I put a Whale Tail XL Stabilizer on the 90 Yamaha that was on my 20 foot Gregor. It worked great, planed out way quicker then before the fin. Had no complaints.

I now have a 22 foot Key west with a 225 Honda. This is a lot bigger motor and a lot bigger boat. What I am looking for is to get the boat to plane out quicker and have few other draw backs.

Has anyone had experience with these, positive or negative?

Cheers,

Jacob Bushnell

Bushnell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Stayin' Afloat
Coho

Default Re: Hydrofoils, Stabilizers, Fins for Cavitation Plate

Yes Jacob
I have installed them on two different motors. The first 16ft with a 65hp had a malfunction on the tilt adjustment, the boat had a serious porpoise issue. The second motor, I installed it even with a good trim control. That seemed to
Help with hole shot. The motor We have now is a new four stroke with
Plenty of power, so it will stay stock for now.
Yes it helped with both hole shot and porpoising.
Dan
Stayin' Afloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Eric S
Ifish Nate

Skip the little tiny fin stabilizers on the outboard in a boat that size, they don't do all that much, as the ratio between total hull surface area v. area of the stabilizer is just too big.

You will be MUCH happier getting a set of hydraulic or electric adjustable trim tabs. They allow you to plane faster, plane slower, alter your angle of attack in a choppy sea, and balance any loads port and starboard. They are the standard for hulls over 20 feet, and you will never regret the decision to put them on. They are easy to put on the boat as well, just need a day, a drill, some 3M 4200 sealant, and patience.

A good example is my old boat, loaded with people and ice, could plane with 140hp at 12 kts, and stay on plane as low as 8kts with the tabs holding her.

E
Eric S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
First Due
Steelhead

Thanks for posting this Question. I've often wondered the same thing, as my boat takes forever to get up on plane. Not sure if I need to upgrade my trim tabs to bigger ones or not.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Bushnell1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Skip the little tiny fin stabilizers on the outboard in a boat that size, they don't do all that much, as the ratio between total hull surface area v. area of the stabilizer is just too big.

You will be MUCH happier getting a set of hydraulic or electric adjustable trim tabs. They allow you to plane faster, plane slower, alter your angle of attack in a choppy sea, and balance any loads port and starboard. They are the standard for hulls over 20 feet, and you will never regret the decision to put them on. They are easy to put on the boat as well, just need a day, a drill, some 3M 4200 sealant, and patience.

A good example is my old boat, loaded with people and ice, could plane with 140hp at 12 kts, and stay on plane as low as 8kts with the tabs holding her.

E
Eric,

I have trim tabs, are you suggesting to burry the trim tabs (all the way down) to get on plane every time you take off? I have like the fins on my other boats.
I dont see a down side of the fin, do you?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Eric S
Ifish Nate

Jake, what size tabs are on your boat? Also, if you are having that much trouble getting on a plane, I kinda think there's more to the story if you are having slow planing WITH trim tabs. I's say you should be able to plane easily with the tabs down 10-20%.

The tabs I had installed were 9" x 24", which are huge. That meant I was effectively putting not only an additional 9" of length on the hull, but I had 48" of controllable surface. You may have undersized tabs on her.

Picture in your head an airplane on takeoff. With flaps, you reduce takeoff speeds and generate more lift. A fixed plate on the outdrive will give less surface area, and not have nearly as much variation in angle of attack as the trim tabs will.

E
Old 02-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
stone crab
Chromer

Keep your motor trimmed down the whole way will help hole shot also.

Trim accordingly once on plane.
stone crab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
First Due
Steelhead

Eric~The light bulb went bright in my head when you explained the trim tabs as extensions to your hull. Longer hull = more planning surface and more efficiency. I think mine are too small. Can i switch out the tabs and keep all the pistons etc?

Sean
Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Eric S
Ifish Nate

They do ranges of sizes for the rams, so the same ram for my 9x24's was used on the 9x12's. You probably can just get the plates, though you may need to move the rams from their current location depending on how much room you have between the mounted ram, the chine, and the outdrive.

E
Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
retaliate
King Salmon

Have a metal edge on my 19' Boat, it works great, faster planning, less porposing, A work buddie put on on his 20/22' Seahawk, cause he was having porposing problems, & it worked great for him also.

21' Northriver Seahawk(Maxxum) 175 Suzuki
Boat name "Adrenaline"

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the gilded cage"
Geddy Lee/Neil Peart
retaliate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #11
havnfun2
Tuna!

is the rule sort of like 1 inch of trim tab per foot of boat?
Eric where have you mounted yout transducer on the stern? would think there would not be much clean water between your trim tabs and motor to put a transducer, you running a thru hull?
what is a metal edge?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
Eric S
Ifish Nate

They typically recommend 9x12 for boats up to 23 feet, but I ran 9x24's on my boat, which are recommended for 24-30 foot boats. I was really happy with them, they did the job well.

The 'ducer fit between the lower unit and the stbd trim tab, nice clean water.

E
Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

I put a Dol-Fin on my 115 Merc attached to a 18.5' Trophy. I wanted to put trim tabs on the boat but the layout of the transom prevented the tabs from going on right. I considered stabilizers but would have to use the small 6" ones and I didn't think they'd do much for what I wanted to do.

Attaching the Dol-Fin was easy and it provided huge improvement. On performance; the hole shots were quicker, it takes 3-400 less RPM's to stay on plane and when trimmed out help the boat runs great in choppy water.

One negative thing; porpoising is more prominent if you trim out too far.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
overfitty
Chromer

Google 'SmarTabs'...
overfitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Bushnell1
Steelhead

I like the smart tabs idea. I already have trim tabs, I guess I did not rea,,y know how to use them thought. I thought they were strictly for trimming the boat when running and lowering the bow when you want to plow through the waves.

So putting them down will make it easier to get onto plane?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Nalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushnell1 View Post
I like the smart tabs idea. I already have trim tabs, I guess I did not rea,,y know how to use them thought. I thought they were strictly for trimming the boat when running and lowering the bow when you want to plow through the waves.

So putting them down will make it easier to get onto plane?
Think of it this way.... unlike a vehicle, a boat and motor on have one gear. Things like trim tabs and engine trim are what you use to adjust how your boat operates throughout the throttle range.

Depending on where your load is located, you very well may start out with your engine trimmed all the way down and your tabs all the way down. Both the thrust of the engine as well as the tabs in the down position help lift the stern up as you climb onto plane. Sort of like first gear. Once up on plane, you then trim motor(s) and tabs up to optimum level for running efficiency as well as side to side leveling.

At lower speeds your tabs can also help keep you on plane, such as when you are in rougher water and on the verge of falling off plane. Proper use of tabs means that you adjust them quite a bit depending on what the ocean conditions are like as well as if you are in a head sea or following sea.

nalucharters.com - Shimano/G.Loomis Pro Staff
Grady White 282- 4 Person Executive Charters

Anybody can catch a tuna in '07

By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea. They, as He, are mightier than me. - M.J.
Nalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
Early&Often
Steelhead

Coming out of the hole with my 22' Grady fully loaded on a tuna day I certainly use the trim tabs all the way down to push the boat up. Trim down motor to the middle until on plane and then work the trim tabs all the way up then trim the motor up until she just cavitates and then drop her down a hair for best speed fuel efficieny, so says my fuel flow meter. Assuming full boat and greasy ocean of course......

Last edited by Early&Often; 02-21-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Early&Often is offline   Reply With Quote