Best all around camping/fishing - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
reel guru

Default Best all around camping/fishing

I am starting to brainstorm for a new place to camp/fish this coming spring. I only know of a couple places where I can have my boat in the water at the campsite/campground. I would like to fish for largemouth and have always fished tenmile. However Tenmile sucks for tent camping and having your boat at your site(non-existent). I have considered hitting up brownlee but have heard none of the camping areas at this lake offer this type of luxury. I would also like to fish for some species in the same trip that will be tasty table fare(a.k.a.- crappie,catfish, kokanee, etc.). I have fished billy chinook, prineville, and don't wish to be stuck with stunted table fare fish. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

reel guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Native Fisher
King Salmon

Default Re: Best all around camping/fishing

Diamond lake?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
HenHunter2
Coho

Wickiup
Crane prarie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HenHunter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
reel guru

Is there zero access on Brownlee for the camp/boat option? I've been to crane/wickiup. Diamond has no bass/warmwater fish. How about Triangle Lake?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Snapset
Ifish Nate

There are options for tent/boat camping on Brownlee. That would be my first choice. Green Peter and Owyhee would round out the top 3.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
codeman
Tuna!

Definately owyhee. Huge largemouths to catch, nice smallies, giant channel cats, and hundreds of crappies a day. 55 mile long res with hardly any road access, perfect for boat camping. mid may is fantastic.
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #7
Crappie Chaser
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel guru View Post
Is there zero access on Brownlee for the camp/boat option? I've been to crane/wickiup. Diamond has no bass/warmwater fish. How about Triangle Lake?
At full pool Woodhead Park on the Idaho side just upriver from Brownlee dam has nice campsites near the water. I think it's first come, first served. No reservations.
Crappie Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
reel guru

Ok. Stupid question, is there any campgrounds where I can have my boat in the water on Oregon side. Farewell Bend? I've never been to Brownlee and would like to plan a productive trip to there or Owyhee. Thanks for all the help. I have a 14 ft. aluminum boat with a 15 hp. I can get up and move just not at mach speed. I would really like to be able to catch great quality fish without having to travel all day.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
HenHunter2
Coho

Wickiup
Crane prarie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HenHunter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
Snapset
Ifish Nate

You could beach your boat at Farewell Bend, but it wouldn't be very close to your campsite. The Graveyard area and Spring campground would allow you to be closer to where you beach your boat. Farewell bend is the most well developed campground on the south end of Brownlee. If you can do without running water and toilets, there are literally hundreds of rocky beaches to camp on all up and down Brownlee.

Woodhead park on the Idaho side and Richland arm on the Powder arm are 2 better developed campgrounds that will allow you to camp closer to your moored boat. They are both designed more for the RVers though, in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
FelonFinder
Tuna!

Guru, why do you want to stay on the Oregon side? If you are going to travel from PDX to E. Oregon, and if you want a decent camping experience (meaning the softer side, with showers and crappers), I would not avoid the Idaho side. Woodhead really is a very nice camp ground. Nice launch, nice facilities, nice topography. Plus, from there, you can get crappie, catfish, bass, whatever. If you're going to put the time and effort into going across the state, consider that from the boat you can fish Brownlee with your Oregon license. If you want to fish from the bank, it's worth it to buy the Idaho day license or possibly the annual license. But it sounds like you're fishing from your boat so you should be fine. The park manager told me that if I fished from my boat, even if it was beached, it would be cool, while camped at Woodhead. I have been carded a few times on foot on the Idaho side so keep that in mind as well. It is well patrolled.
FelonFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Green Eyes
Tuna!

The mouth of the John Day, Lepage Park has docks, camping etc. Smallmouth fishing, or go upriver to Phillipe (sp) Park, boat in only with docks and showers etc. If you stay there you can then motor up to the narrows, smallies plus a short hike to the falls for some killer catfishing. Beware of the winds as sometimes they can really whip it up!
Green Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
HammerinHonkers
Steelhead

If you get to woodhead on a weekday you can probably get a camp site where you can put your boat on the dock that's away from the launch. Thats what we did and it worked great. The boat was less than 75 yards from the camp and you could see it at all times. Woodhead is a great camp ground as well. There were probably 6-8 campsites that would have worked for this, of course some were a little closer than others.
HammerinHonkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

For March, I like Oxbow or Hells Pools and Prineville Res, Haystack Res.

Haystack can be fun for spring break, Madras, Redmond & Bend aren't too far away if the Girls want to go shop'n while I fish.
But you need to get one of the spots by the launch in order to have your boat within sight.
HUnt'nFish
Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
retaliate
King Salmon

Brownlee has some camping, both pay, & free with Boat moorage right next to your camp, if you have a small enough Boat, or some way to moore a Boat without it banging on the shoreline with a wake from a passing Boat, we use a old tire to keep our 15' aluminum Boat out of harms way, only the pay sites have showers, & electriticy, & all sites with boat moorage will fill up fast during the peak season, espically on the weekends, Owyhee res. is limited to Owyhee state park if you need showers, & or electriticy, we stayed at mc cormack camp(Owyhee st pk) last spring, & parked our motorhome in a tent space...cause it was closer to the water, where our boat was parked, others parked their Boats next to ours in the small cove on the north side, other Boat moorage camping to the south also, all fill up fast during peak season, & weekends, plenty of free primitive camping all along Owyhee res. by Boat, some drive in access also, but are a long drive on rough dirt roads, where trailers are not reccomended.

21' Northriver Seahawk(Maxxum) 175 Suzuki
Boat name "Adrenaline"

"All the worlds indeed a stage, we are merely players, performers, & portrayers, each anothers audience, outside the guilded cage"
Geddy Lee/Neil Peart
retaliate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #16
boblag
Chromer

We park the car at Hewitt Park (Brownlee) and then go look for a primitive campsite by boat. It costs a little to park, but you can come back to stock up, take a shower, etc. and then go back to the campsite. One time we found an open shack to stay in, but usually we set up in a quiet cove.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
cogle
Steelhead

HEWITT PARK AT BROWNLEE IS PERFECT FOR WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.
cogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
pdxmike
Steelhead

Cottage Grove may work for what your looking for. Bass fishing is very good and a lot of trout and bluegill to fish for also. You can camp on the grounds and pull your boat up to the shoreline. I would recommend lloking at thr website and you can view each site to its relationship to the shoreline. If none are available, the upper launch is only a couple minute drive from the campground.
pdxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
billsnp5
Fry

Some one has already mentioned Lepage park at John Day and Columbia river. We love to go to Boardman Park on the Columbia river. It has Full hookup sites alongwith tent sites with restrooms and showers. If you want to leave your boat in water you can leave at dock in marina next to campground.
billsnp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
FelonFinder
Tuna!

LePage is really nice but if you are going to use a tent, be aware that they run the sprinklers on the lawn during the week so you can't camp on the lawn sites during the week. Weekends they turn the sprinklers off at the tent sites on the lawn. I guess you could set up a tent on the RV site @ RV rates during the week if you wanted to go that route.
FelonFinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
Smj
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmike View Post
Cottage Grove may work for what your looking for. Bass fishing is very good and a lot of trout and bluegill to fish for also. You can camp on the grounds and pull your boat up to the shoreline. I would recommend lloking at thr website and you can view each site to its relationship to the shoreline. If none are available, the upper launch is only a couple minute drive from the campground.

Be aware the the Army Corp of Engineers has BANNED alcahol on Dorena AND Cottage Grove Resivoirs AND in their respective campgrounds! So if you like to drink a beer while camping you run the risk of being fined and/or ejected from the camps!

Smj
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
k9gunner
Steelhead

Detroit lake is a nice lake with good fishing, rainbows, chinook, sockeye,catfish and koks are all a possibilty in this lake. It has nice state campground, boat moorage.. Also heard that they were building moorage for the island camping, not sure if they did tha yet..tent camp sites on the island. If there is no moorage, you just beach the boat...
k9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #23
Twysted
Steelhead

We are going to try Prineville Reservoir this year. Haven't been there before but heard the fishing is pretty good. They have camping spots, some rooms, a boat launch, and a small diner at one of the places.

Anyone been there before? What did you think?
Twysted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #24
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smj View Post
Be aware the the Army Corp of Engineers has BANNED alcahol on Dorena AND Cottage Grove Resivoirs AND in their respective campgrounds! So if you like to drink a beer while camping you run the risk of being fined and/or ejected from the camps!

Smj
That is what can coolies are for....what beer?
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
Smj
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
That is what can coolies are for....what beer?
Hunt'nFish
Henry's Ale! That's what they used to call it any way, somewhere along the line they started calling it just "Blue Boar".

We used to go to CG res. for four days every July and camp by the lake. Fish at 4:00am 'till 10:00-11:00 or so and come in. We'd sit in camp watching all the playboats and kids, sipping beers, play cribbage, get a nap, have dinner and then go out after sunset and fish 'till dark. Good times!

I won't take a chance on some over zealous ranger/sheriff/camp host/CAMPER, who knows, giving me a hard time about a beer or three. That's a real sore spot for me, a federal agency banning alcohol, and beer is alcohol, on a federal lake and federal campground. Lousy precedence to set!!

Smj
Old 02-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #26
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Let common sense prevail.
What they don't know won't bother them. Out of sight out of mind.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #27
reel guru

Thanks for all of the awesome suggestions. I know I posted and disappeared(busy,busy). It is looking more and more like Owyhee is the spot. Never been that far over with the Gregor. I am sure it will be a fun time regardless. I am currently in the process of restocking the store. Please come see the new stuff we ordered for the spring when you drop off your reels/rods/airguns/trolling motors/coleman lanterns,stoves etc.... FYI,we are getting very busy with repairs. Get them in sooner than later. Thanks again for the suggestions.
-Ryan
Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #28
plhldrbus
Steelhead

the only thing about owyhee vs brownlee is #of camp spots!weekends at owyhee mid april on gets crowded,but you can usually find somewhere to camp at brownlee.
plhldrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #29
codeman
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhldrbus View Post
the only thing about owyhee vs brownlee is #of camp spots!weekends at owyhee mid april on gets crowded,but you can usually find somewhere to camp at brownlee.

I think its the exact opposite. Brownlee is freaking crowded like crazy anymore. With a boat, most of owhyee is empty of campers.
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #30
plhldrbus
Steelhead

I hav'nt bought oregon license past two years so maybe somthing changed but in may of 010 we went to owyhee but couldnt park the short bus anywhere near the water,ended up at brownlee with a gillion of our best friends but could camp and beach boat. you can boat camp almost anywhere in the west,anytime of the year,but dont think thats what o.p had in mind.
plhldrbus is offline   Reply With Quote