MagLip 3.5 hooks - thinking out loud. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
FishGeek
Tuna!

Default MagLip 3.5 hooks - thinking out loud.

I've been in a conversation with another ifisher for the last couple days regarding the hooks on the new MagLip 3.5 and I've been tinkering with a few options. Some working better than others. I'm pretty sure Buzz nailed it already with the #4 and #3 combo, but hey, a guy's gotta tinker

Of course it goes without saying, factory hooks aren't my bag, so they get the boot no matter what. Still trying to decide what I'm going to run though.

First thing I tried was dual #2's. I think dual #2 trebles will be too tangle prone... so scratch that.

I think I'm leaning towards sticking with size #4 trebles on the belly, and just upgrading to a #2 on the tail and no additional split rings. I could probably be talked into an extra split ring on the tail though.

For single siwash, I have been running this config (dual #1) on U20's for a while, but I have never been totally convinced it was perfect. Maybe I need to look at those shorter siwash's that the doc is always bantering on about and put in a couple more rings.

All 4 options seem to float just fine, so there aren't any buoyancy/overweight issues.

What do you guys think? Can you tell which is my favorite color? I don't think i have ever been this excited about a new plug... crazy.

Brian

NFS = No Fish Society
FishGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
cowlitzriverfisher

Default Re: MagLip 3.5 hooks - thinking out loud.

If it was me I would run a 3 on the belly and a 2 on the back. It seems when I up grade a size on hooks I get a better "walking" action.
cowlitzriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
FishGeek
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzriverfisher View Post
If it was me I would run a 3 on the belly and a 2 on the back. It seems when I up grade a size on hooks I get a better "walking" action.
Thats what I have been thinking. Doesn't look like owner or gami make one though, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere I suppose.

NFS = No Fish Society
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Starfish

I think I'll try a pair of #2 Gamagatsu EWG trebles.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
BrushApe
Tuna!

Siwash way to go but I have a question. On the tail is it necessary to use a split ring? Seems you can just attach siwash w/o split ring and you are guaranteed the hook point will ride up position. I have my warts/mag lips rigged that way and plug seems to run fine. Anyone? David, Doc, enlighten me if I am out to lunch.

BA

Last edited by BrushApe; 02-07-2012 at 10:15 AM.
BrushApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
cowlitzriverfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGeek View Post
Thats what I have been thinking. Doesn't look like owner or gami make one though, so I'm going to have to look elsewhere I suppose.
Gami makes one in a sz 3 while Owner does not!
cowlitzriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
salmon718
Tuna!

I like the siwash setup. This setup works for me. If you are looking to go shorter, give the gami 510's a try.
salmon718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
BrushApe
Tuna!

So what about the tail split ring question???????
Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
FishGeek
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushApe View Post
So what about the tail split ring question???????
I suppose you could, although I don't think it would have a good range of motion. split rings are good at taking away a fish's leverage. I would leave them on myself.

NFS = No Fish Society
Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
fishbrain
Steelhead

i run a split ring on both ends of a six bead chain with a siwash on that. ive noticed after spending some time watching it run instead of fishing that if your tailing hook is right up next to the plug it wags back anf forth, but with the bead chain on it the siwash stays relatively stil because of the bead chain absorbing alot of the back anf forth motion. now it stands to reason that a hook trailing in one spot behind your kwiklip would get bit better than a moving target.
^
yes i know before the flamers get to flamin it was deliberate

Last edited by fishbrain; 02-08-2012 at 06:29 AM.
fishbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #11
ANDYCOHO
Sturgeon

2-#1 Siwash hooks attached to a #10 barrel swivel. Worked good on these 3.5's for me.

Skippering:'The Retriever' & 'ANDYCOHO'
NON-Guided Adventures!
ANDYCOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
BrushApe
Tuna!

Fishbrain, now that you mention it there is a pronounced wig wag of the tail hook from the action of the plug. Still the fish is striking the plug not the hook so shouldn't be that big of a deal but I see your point. Seems with two split rings and a 6 bead chain the hook will be a long way from the plug. Seems a more compact presentation would mean more hook ups. Guess will just have to experiment some more.

BA
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
alwaysfishing
Sturgeon

How about just one Gami Big River sickle #1 in the back
alwaysfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
fishbrain
Steelhead

Quote:
Fishbrain, now that you mention it there is a pronounced wig wag of the tail hook from the action of the plug. Still the fish is striking the plug not the hook so shouldn't be that big of a deal but I see your point. Seems with two split rings and a 6 bead chain the hook will be a long way from the plug. Seems a more compact presentation would mean more hook ups. Guess will just have to experiment some more.

BA
i dunno, thinking about the dynamics it seems less plausible, if the fish hits it head on my hypothesis would be kaput. but if it hits from behind (say after a drive by) the hook staying directly behind the plug would have a better chance to enter the mouth than if it were to one side or the other.
fishbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
KGS
Steelhead

...[QUOTE=fishbrain;3999945]i run a split ring on both ends of a six bead chain with a siwash on that. ive noticed after spending some time watching it run instead of fishing that if your tailing hook is right up next to the plug it wags back anf forth, but with the bead chain on it the siwash stays relatively stil because of the bead chain absorbing alot of the back anf forth motion. now it stands to reason that a hook trailing in one spot behind your kwiklip would get bit better than a moving target.
^
Been rigging my plugs like that for years

Last edited by KGS; 02-08-2012 at 09:02 PM.
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Siwash way to go but I have a question. On the tail is it necessary to use a split ring? Seems you can just attach siwash w/o split ring and you are guaranteed the hook point will ride up position. I have my warts/mag lips rigged that way and plug seems to run fine. Anyone? David, Doc, enlighten me if I am out to lunch.

BA
You may hook'em, but you're gonna lose a bunch during the fight.

With a direct siwash to eyelet connection, you lose a lot of the articulation between the hook and the plug..... giving the fish greater leverage to potentially torque the hook out during the fight.

One split ring adds additional freedom of movement, but leaves the hook in a sideways orientation.

Two split rings adds even more freedom, and also allows the hook point to ride point up. Riding point up is vitally important to me.

If that hook point should wind up somewhere deep inside the mouth, there are a lot fewer vital structures in the roof of the mouth than there are in the floor of the mouth.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

I replaced all of mine with one size larger Owners and changed out the split ring to an Owner #4. I don't like the stock thin-wire split rings. The Owner #4 split ring works well with the K-11s too.

Last edited by Bait Bucket; 02-09-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Buzz Ramsey

The Mag Lip 3.5 is very forgiving when it comes to hook size. Stock, there is a size 4 treble on the belly, and a size 3 treble on the tail. While larger hooks can be used they may tangle.

I'd recommend using a split ring in conjunction with hooks. If you connect a siwash single directly on the hook hanger it will likely result in damaging the hook hanger during the first fish fight. While the hook hangers are stainless steel and very durable they can bend, connecting your hook to a split ring will help avoid damage to the hook hanger.

Buzz Ramsey

Last edited by Buzz Ramsey; 02-09-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Buzz Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
BrushApe
Tuna!

Doc and Buzz, thanks for the input. I think everyone learns just a little more from these discussions. Tight lines everyone. Hey guys, let a few springers get up my way.

Thanks again for all the replies.

BA
Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
Eric rammage
Fry

Angry Re: MagLip 3.5 hooks - thinking out loud.

Definitely change hooks and and split rings as soon as you buy them broke hook on one and split ring came apart on another I hate loosing fish.
Eric rammage is offline   Reply With Quote