Wyoming Antelope 2012: the first post - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
scoutdog5
Chromer

Default Wyoming Antelope 2012: the first post

There seems to be an increasing interest in Wyoming antelope, so I will get off my butt and start posting info you can use for this year. Tonight, some of the basics.

All of Wyoming is on a draw for non-residents for antelope. Having said that, there are a ton of left over tags every year, and you can typically buy a tag the day you want to start hunting in some units. If you know you want to go this year, however, the best thing to do is put a plan together, and put in for the draw. The deadline for entering is mid March, and results are not posted until early July.

There are three types of antelope tags in Wyoming, Regular draw, Special Draw and reduced price antlerless. The only difference between regular and special is the price, regular costs approximately $ 300.00, special approximately $ 540.00. If you are willing to pay the higher fee, you can draw most units with zero points. Reduced price antlerless costs $ 40,00 bucks, I think. I believe there is also a non-resident youth tag that costs less, but could be wrong about that.

In the draw, the hunt number is the unit number with an identifying number. 31-1, for example, is Unit 31, the 1 means any antelope. the number 6 is typically antlerless. Sometimes, the number 1 signifies buck only, but most unit tags are either sex.

For the most part, Wyoming does not issue separate bow tags. You draw the tag you want, then pay for an archery endorsement, and can hunt with a bow during the month of sept. On many units, the rifle season also opens in September, so check that out before planning a trip. You can also use a cross bow in wyoming with an archery endorsement.

Seasons vary widely across the state. Some open in August, others not until October. Most units have seasons at least 3 weeks long. Pressure is very high the first week, can still be significant the second week, mostly quiet after that. Of course, a lot of antelope have been killed by the third week, but we have never had any problems finding bucks.

In some units, you can have two any antelope tags, plus up to 4 reduced cost antlerless tags. That is a lot of processing unless you do it yourself, so think that through before buying tags.

IMPORTANT: Although you have to put in for the draw in March, Wyoming does NOT determine season length and/or tag numbers til June, so it is possible, particularly if there is a bad winter, that tag numbers will be greatly reduced between when you apply, and when the draw occurs. For that reason, if you really want to go, have a second and third choice in the draw.

Okay, that is all for tonight, in the next couple of days I will post unit info for many of the units, including points needed to draw and public land options. After that, I will post with detailed info about how the draw works, and some strategies to draw good tags while saving your points.

By the way, I will not be posting info on Wyoming deer. Have maximum points, and still don't have a clue how to use them. Wyoming, like other western states, is in a downward spiral for mule deer.

Scoutdog

scoutdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
Trick
King Salmon

Default Re: Wyoming Antelope 2012: the first post

Excellent post......If not this year, next year for sure.
Member #200 and something?
CCA NRA OFF Member
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
erich541
Steelhead

Got me thinking about going after them speed goats.I would love to go on a wyoming hunt,but usually don't have any one to go.Maybe some time in the next couple years I can get a couple Ifishers together to help split travel cost.Sounds like a lot of fun!!
erich541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #4
chromebright
Tuna!

If I draw my elk tag this year I'm putting in for a deer and antelope tag in the same general area. The trifecta would be awesome and very doable in that country.
chromebright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
crossroads
Tuna!

Great post, my wife and I have been looking at going for the last 2 years. Maybe this will be the year? Thank you for the info! Kevin
crossroads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
kelso
Steelhead

I'm looking at going again this year after a 2 yr. absence. Everybody needs to go on a Antelope hunt. Take a kid, they will have more fun on a Wyoming Antelope hunt than any other trip. Looking forward to reading the remaining posts about Wyoming Antelope. I have only been once, and have alot to learn. Most fun on a hunt that I have ever had.
kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Always wanted to go, this will be a big help and an excuse to buy another rifle. In it for the meat, great eating critters.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
longbow
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdog5 View Post
There seems to be an increasing interest in Wyoming antelope, so I will get off my butt and start posting info you can use for this year. Tonight, some of the basics.

All of Wyoming is on a draw for non-residents for antelope. Having said that, there are a ton of left over tags every year, and you can typically buy a tag the day you want to start hunting in some units. If you know you want to go this year, however, the best thing to do is put a plan together, and put in for the draw. The deadline for entering is mid March, and results are not posted until early July.

There are three types of antelope tags in Wyoming, Regular draw, Special Draw and reduced price antlerless. The only difference between regular and special is the price, regular costs approximately $ 300.00, special approximately $ 540.00. If you are willing to pay the higher fee, you can draw most units with zero points. Reduced price antlerless costs $ 40,00 bucks, I think. I believe there is also a non-resident youth tag that costs less, but could be wrong about that.

In the draw, the hunt number is the unit number with an identifying number. 31-1, for example, is Unit 31, the 1 means any antelope. the number 6 is typically antlerless. Sometimes, the number 1 signifies buck only, but most unit tags are either sex.

For the most part, Wyoming does not issue separate bow tags. You draw the tag you want, then pay for an archery endorsement, and can hunt with a bow during the month of sept. On many units, the rifle season also opens in September, so check that out before planning a trip. You can also use a cross bow in wyoming with an archery endorsement.

Seasons vary widely across the state. Some open in August, others not until October. Most units have seasons at least 3 weeks long. Pressure is very high the first week, can still be significant the second week, mostly quiet after that. Of course, a lot of antelope have been killed by the third week, but we have never had any problems finding bucks.

In some units, you can have two any antelope tags, plus up to 4 reduced cost antlerless tags. That is a lot of processing unless you do it yourself, so think that through before buying tags.

IMPORTANT: Although you have to put in for the draw in March, Wyoming does NOT determine season length and/or tag numbers til June, so it is possible, particularly if there is a bad winter, that tag numbers will be greatly reduced between when you apply, and when the draw occurs. For that reason, if you really want to go, have a second and third choice in the draw.

Okay, that is all for tonight, in the next couple of days I will post unit info for many of the units, including points needed to draw and public land options. After that, I will post with detailed info about how the draw works, and some strategies to draw good tags while saving your points.

By the way, I will not be posting info on Wyoming deer. Have maximum points, and still don't have a clue how to use them. Wyoming, like other western states, is in a downward spiral for mule deer.

Scoutdog

I would have to disagree somewhat about the mule deer. While trends in a number of units are down there is still very good deer hunting to be had with the potential for a 170"-190" deer in a number of units. Even with the current trend Wyoming still far exceeds the quality of deer hunting here in Oregon. Also, don't overlook the whitetail hunting there. This is just my opeinion on what I have seen and researched.
longbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
Dr.Black-tail
Steelhead

You can also apply for points only after the draw has happened. Wyoming's Mule Deer herds have seen better days. With the winter of 2010-11 Wyoming lots a majority of fawns and a 50% herd die off.
Dr.Black-tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Thank you for posts like this one. Although the info is no secret I think it is a huge help when someone lays it out all nice for others.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutdog5 View Post
There seems to be an increasing interest in Wyoming antelope, so I will get off my butt and start posting info you can use for this year.

Scoutdog
Scoutdog is there any chance you would consider disgussing this in private messages, or at least wait until somebody asks about it? I, among others, worked super hard to obtain all this the hard way and without welfare and last year I didn't draw a 100% chance tag thanks to a mysterious increased interest. I love it that we help each other on ifish, but we also try to not hurt each other, right? If for every one person that is handed a new opportunity, there is at least one other who loses his opportunity, is it really helping? Helping who?

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Joe Schmo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnygx View Post
Thank you for posts like this one. Although the info is no secret I think it is a huge help when someone lays it out all nice for others.
DS. It is a big heklp when ScoutDog lays it out for people, like Eastmans) but the truth is that the info is out there and readily available for those who want to go look it up.
However he simply makes it easier for lazy(er) people to get general info on tags. However if'n they're that lazy are they really going to put in for the hunt? Maybe. Are they gonna hunt as hard as you and I? Definitely not!! Anyway that's my so I'll prepare to get ripped...

PS: When I used the term "lazy" I was referring to Mr. I just drew the Wilammette tag, does anyone know where to hunt guy...
Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
fishin' is livin'
Ifish Nate

I have a total of ONE hunt over there, but for all of those who are saying " I've been thinking about going.." DO IT!!!

It will open your eyes in terms of the amount of animals you will see, you won't waste another dollar in Oregon if hunting Antelope is your goal. I was hesetant at first because I was unfamiliar with the area...a couple pm's with a couple guys and some calls to the Fish and wildlife, and I was set.

And I always add....keep your finger off the trigger!! I got a little excited and took my two does out of the first group....then my buck was the next one I saw...I was done by noon.
fishin' is livin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
Joe Schmo
Tuna!

I'm thinking about doing it... Building points never hurts while you're sitting around thinking about going on a hunt someday
Joe Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
wanafish
Chromer

Anyone thinking of going can easily do a search and get all of scoutdogs old posts and others that have contributed as well. I went for the first time last year and knew things were going to be diifferent, especially when crossing into Wyoming we heard an advertisement on the radio from the Wyoming game department begging people to buy antelope tags. Knew we were no longer in Oregon. Had a great time filling our tags and enjoying multiple opportunities everyday. Can't wait to go back and do it again.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Trick
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
Scoutdog is there any chance you would consider disgussing this in private messages, or at least wait until somebody asks about it? I, among others, worked super hard to obtain all this the hard way and without welfare and last year I didn't draw a 100% chance tag thanks to a mysterious increased interest. I love it that we help each other on ifish, but we also try to not hurt each other, right? If for every one person that is handed a new opportunity, there is at least one other who loses his opportunity, is it really helping? Helping who?
I really can see your point and when I'm trying to fish my favorite hole or hunt my favorite cut it is irritating to say the least when it is stuffed with others.

But, on the flip side we have been bleeding hunters nationwide for years. For every one that we loose it is safe to assume that two joined PETA or the US Humane Society. The post isn't terribly explicit on where to exactly hunt....just giving general guidelines from what I took from it. If it keeps more people interested in supporting our heritage I'm all for it.
Member #200 and something?
CCA NRA OFF Member
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
scoutdog5
Chromer

Longbow, all I will say about the deer hunting is that Guy Eastman has publicly called for the Wyoming dept of wildlife to eliminate over the counter tags for residents, and dramatically cut tags in most areas. Given his family has hunted and filmed big bucks in Wyoming since the 50's, I am confident that his evaluation of the situation is accurate.

Dave Smith, you raise a valid point, and I certainly would not post this information on other websites, such as Monster Muleys or bowsite. I do think, however, that ifishers, who are stuck with some of the poorest quality hunts in the west, although there is plenty of opportunity, should all have the chance to experience a quality hunt with lots of animals at some point in their life.

I also have an ulterior motive. The more Oregonians who hunt antelope in Wyoming, or deer in Colorado, or elk in New Mexico, the more Oregonians there will be to put pressure on ODFW to change the way big game populations are managed in this state.

In my experience, most of the cases where draw odds were substantially reduced occured when the state reduced tags after the entry deadline due to winter kill problems. This can also happen on maximum point draws when significant numbers of people come out of the preference point only pool to apply for a top quality hunt. I would be surprised in those cases if very many of those people were Oregonians, but could be wrong.

The other thing I would say is that, with very few exceptions, if you apply for the special tag instead of the regular, there will be very little change in the draw odds from year to year.

So, I am going to post the draw odds for the regular tags shortly. I always try to respond to PM;s, although I am slow at times.

Thanks

Scoutdog
scoutdog5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #18
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schmo View Post
DS. It is a big heklp when ScoutDog lays it out for people, like Eastmans) but the truth is that the info is out there and readily available for those who want to go look it up.
However he simply makes it easier for lazy(er) people to get general info on tags. However if'n they're that lazy are they really going to put in for the hunt? Maybe. Are they gonna hunt as hard as you and I? Definitely not!! Anyway that's my so I'll prepare to get ripped...

PS: When I used the term "lazy" I was referring to Mr. I just drew the Wilammette tag, does anyone know where to hunt guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick View Post
I really can see your point and when I'm trying to fish my favorite hole or hunt my favorite cut it is irritating to say the least when it is stuffed with others.

But, on the flip side we have been bleeding hunters nationwide for years. For every one that we loose it is safe to assume that two joined PETA or the US Humane Society. The post isn't terribly explicit on where to exactly hunt....just giving general guidelines from what I took from it. If it keeps more people interested in supporting our heritage I'm all for it.
Two great points! Now I'll step aside before I interrupt anymore...... ( and thanks to both you guys for being cool about it ) DS

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
WapitiBob
Tuna!

ScoutDogs posts are informative yet vague. There is enough info to get you started, as they did for me, and with a little digging on our part, some good units can be drawn and points built at the same time.
WapitiBob is offline   Reply With Quote