Razor Clams - How long will they keep before cleaning? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
task
Steelhead

Default Razor Clams - How long will they keep before cleaning?

Planning to go razor clamming this Friday and Saturday if conditions permit. Wondering if I dig clams Friday evening and keep them in iced salt water, how long will they keep without cleaning? More specifically, will they keep until I get home Sunday morning?

Can anyone direct me to a link where I can check out surf, swells and overall conditions for Long Beach?

Thanks!

task is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
MegaByte
Sturgeon

Default Re: Razor Clams - How long will they keep before cleaning?

Iced salt water without an aerator will not keep the things alive. They will die. I would never leave a clam uncleaned for more than a day. Often I will dig a limit on a Friday for example and clean them the following day and keep them refrigerated in a container that allows them to have air. Do not put them in a sealed container. As far as ocean conditions, try this:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...cstType=marine
MegaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
freespool
King Salmon

Surf prediction doesn't look promising Fri. 14.5ft Sat. 26.5ft Sun. 18ft.
Way to big for me.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
fishandcrawl
Chromer

Yes, they will last for a day/day and half. Keep refrigerated in a uncovered container without water. Better yet take them out of the shell with hot water then put them in the refrigerator uncleaned until you get home. That way they won't get long necked. Only takes a few minutes to take them out of the shell and no mess.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
woodboy
Coho

I've kept razors alive for 4 days before in the crisper bin in the fridge. The thing is, even though they were alive when I cleaned them, they sucked as table fair. They were tough and didn't taste nearly as good as the ones I clean the same day. I've also poured hot water on razors, iced and bagged them whole, un-cleaned for processing the next day, IMO still not a close second to cleaning them right away. Salt water and a bucket or bag equals dead clams in the shell, dead clams in the shell should never ever be eaten IMO. I've eaten thousands of razors in my life and never gotten sick. I've also never kept them in water or directly on/in ice. Be very careful if you do venture out for the tide this weekend.
woodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Roguefish
Steelhead

Razors are so easy to clean you might as well clean them asap.
Roguefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
JWKeller
Steelhead

Here is another surf condidtion report with buoy data: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Foreca...US56.KPQR.html

I agree that it is looking bad for this weekend. 20' seas, 35 knot winds, not much fun on the beach.
JWKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #8
MattPark
Sturgeon

I dig a lot of razors, and I can't tell any difference between clams cleaned immediately to cleaned 24-36 hrs later. Don't put them on ice, the ocean here isn't 32 degrees, just keep them cool-ish. Try to reproduce the temp of the water they came from.

Whatever you do, dont soak them in water, cleaned or alive. There isnt a bigger party foul than taking a perfectly good razor and turning it into a water soaked, stretched out pile of clam.
MattPark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
task
Steelhead

Thanks for the input and links.

I the past, I have left clams in salt water for at least a couple of hours thinking that the clams will "pump" the sand out of themselves. Is this a false assumption?
task is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
freespool
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by task View Post
Thanks for the input and links.

I the past, I have left clams in salt water for at least a couple of hours thinking that the clams will "pump" the sand out of themselves. Is this a false assumption?

Yes.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is online now   Reply With Quote