Columbia reopens (sport before nets) - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Fish & Game Management

Old 06-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Default Columbia reopens (sport before nets)

Only one commercial season set so far, Sunday night.

Pay attention to the last report...Ocean fishing for fin-clipped chinook is reportedly red hot from the mouth, off Astoria, north to at least Ocean Shores. Those have got to be inbound Columbia fish...

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...s_to_chin.html

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
wayout
Sturgeon

Default Re: Columbia reopens (sport before nets)

From the article - does this mean we can keep 2 chinook?

"A run of 91,200 summer chinook is expected to enter the river, peaking at Bonneville Dam through the end of June and tapering through July. Anglers will be allowed to keep up to two fin-clipped chinook salmon or steelhead. NOTE: All sockeye salmon, regardless of size, are considered adult salmon within the two-daily bag limit; they need not be fin-clipped, however."
Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Sgt.Slaughter
Sturgeon

I keep hearing of sockeye in the columbia but the only place I've gotten one is Merwin.....dam your soft mouths..I'll take your big brother anyways
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayout View Post
From the article - does this mean we can keep 2 chinook?

"A run of 91,200 summer chinook is expected to enter the river, peaking at Bonneville Dam through the end of June and tapering through July. Anglers will be allowed to keep up to two fin-clipped chinook salmon or steelhead. NOTE: All sockeye salmon, regardless of size, are considered adult salmon within the two-daily bag limit; they need not be fin-clipped, however."
Yes, as long as they're fin-clipped.

Robert Service

Old 06-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Woodpecker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe View Post
Yes, as long as they're fin-clipped.
Why not stick with one fish and extend the season a little, CCA in action once again. July 1 seams a little premature to me. What about steelhead after July 1?
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
Woodpecker
Chromer

OK, July 2
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
classicriverrunner
Steelhead

thanks bill
classicriverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Uglygreen
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
Why not stick with one fish and extend the season a little, CCA in action once again. July 1 seams a little premature to me. What about steelhead after July 1?
Actually, the two weeks sports get is due to the fact that the LCR gill net fleet doesn't fish selectivly for Summer Chinook, something CCA is trying to change. And the two weeks would be even shorter if sports didn't fish selectivly, a change pushed by NISA three years ago.
Uglygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #9
CKthumper
Tuna!

And if the run shows as projected, there will likely be an extension. Given the number of Chinook caught by steelhead fishermen on a lower river beach, and the surge at Bonneville yesterday, there is some chance that is going to happen.

Here's a thought: Those lower river Chinook will be springers on Friday, but will be summers the whole way to McNary on Saturday.

Why not open the river in stages? Say June 1 below the Longview bridge, June 8 below I-5, Bonneville June 15, etc.? Management certainly cannot claim such a scenario would be too complicated for us to understand, given the fragmented seasons we already endure.....

This question is particularly poignant because I released two clipped Chinook yesterday, both of which were hooked in the tongue and bleeding profusely....

What say the experts? Is there any chance those fish are still alive?

BTW, lots of Sockeye available. Saw one guy land five. Some were only 16" long though...
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
Bonecrusher 0.338
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglygreen View Post
Actually, the two weeks sports get is due to the fact that the LCR gill net fleet doesn't fish selectivly for Summer Chinook, something CCA is trying to change. And the two weeks would be even shorter if sports didn't fish selectivly, a change pushed by NISA three years ago.
A lot of the Chinook we catch in June are large un-clipped fish, why don't they hold off on the commercial fishing?
Old 06-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

It's probably inevitable this subject would turn to netting, so I'll post this then suggest to the mods it be moved into the gillnet forum.

First, The summer chinook run is largely hatchery, so there's no reason to not allow at least some commercial fishing. And despite all opinions to the contrary, there's no way the nets will sweep everything out of the river.
In fact, the commercial season may not be all that well attended since at least some of them are up in the north 40 (Alaska).
As for the large mesh allowed, the river is full of summer steelhead right now and they're typically smaller and far more numerous than winters, so the states don't like to subject them to smaller tangle nets...not to mention all the sockeye as well.

Robert Service

Old 06-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
salmonbob
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher 0.338 View Post
A lot of the Chinook we catch in June are large un-clipped fish, why don't they hold off on the commercial fishing?
YEP. When you anglers release those larger fish sat and sun just know they will mostlikly end up in a lower Columbia net or above dam tribal net,that is if they are not mortal wounded after we remove the hooks. So stupid we don't have set rules for all user groups. fyi it was not dfw decision to go selective. I have reason to believe it was CCA AND NISA who got that one through. just my opinion.
salmonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

All I can remember was an aggressive campaign [by sports groups] to stop the killing of non-endangered wild Summer fish and the Compact agreeing with that. Sometimes you have to be careful what you ask for. They made the rule stick to sportsmen and not to commercials. I can still taste sour grapes. Dumb move.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
cosmo
Ifish Nate

The reason the seasons are short down here is that the bulk of in-river harvest on these fish is reserved for fisheries above Priest Rapids dam as dictated by Washington.

Downriver guys get the shaft
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #15
garyk
King Salmon

Sad to see informative threads about CR salmon management shoved off the main forum and into this corner....

Oh, now I see all the threads about CR management are being lumped here...
IFisher 234

"We want excellence from wildlife managers, but don't want to help. We are very good at one thing - complaining."
Teeb, 11.19.13
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
keizer rapids
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonbob View Post
YEP. When you anglers release those larger fish sat and sun just know they will mostlikly end up in a lower Columbia net or above dam tribal net,that is if they are not mortal wounded after we remove the hooks. So stupid we don't have set rules for all user groups. fyi it was not dfw decision to go selective. I have reason to believe it was CCA AND NISA who got that one through. just my opinion.
Letting them go is the price you have to pay sometimes, sportfisherman can release these fish with a good chance of them surviving it is true that they have a 50/50 chance ending up in a net. From my experiances fishing the summer run 60 to 70% of the fish I catch are springers anyway, if you really want to see any chance of that run coming back why not let them go? Both CCA AND NISA stepped up, and worked together to get this done why is it such a bad thing concidering that a good part of the fish being caught are really WILD springers?
Commercials can't release them as the water is to warm and they'll die anyway, the summer and fall nets seasons are kill fisheries. Any bycatch steelhead/sockeye released have low servival rates(don't believe 18% thats a cold water number) even though large mesh nets are used these fish still get beat up pretty bad.
keizer rapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
Woodpecker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keizer rapids View Post
Letting them go is the price you have to pay sometimes, sportfisherman can release these fish with a good chance of them surviving it is true that they have a 50/50 chance ending up in a net. From my experiances fishing the summer run 60 to 70% of the fish I catch are springers anyway, if you really want to see any chance of that run coming back why not let them go? Both CCA AND NISA stepped up, and worked together to get this done why is it such a bad thing concidering that a good part of the fish being caught are really WILD springers?
Commercials can't release them as the water is to warm and they'll die anyway, the summer and fall nets seasons are kill fisheries. Any bycatch steelhead/sockeye released have low servival rates(don't believe 18% thats a cold water number) even though large mesh nets are used these fish still get beat up pretty bad.
Why do we have to pay this price? "Good chance of them surviving" what does that mean. "Just as good a chance that they won't survive". Why take the chance? The ones that don't end up in a netters net, or a Indians fishery, will probably end up in a hookers net above Priest Rapids. How ignorant can we get, and what is the point?

What run are you referring to when you speak of it coming back? It is back, unless you know something the WDFW, ODFW, HSRG, NMFS, doesn't. Maybe you should let them know, I'm sure they would be interested, as they have spent millions coming up with the data that shows the summer chinook are not to be listed as ESA. The numbers of summer chinook have been increasing at a steady rate since the turn of the century, as have the netters take as well as the hookers take. This years projection is for 90,000 into the columbia system of which the escapement objective is 20,000.

The main difference between springers and summers, as determined by the collective managers, is their place of origin. Once again, if you know something everybody else doesn't, please share.

There is no such thing as a selective fishery. There is a release mortality associated with any catch and release fishery, some worse than others.

There is no biological reason, that I have discovered, for the release of summer chinook in the lower columbia.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #18
keizer rapids
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
Why do we have to pay this price? "Good chance of them surviving" what does that mean. "Just as good a chance that they won't survive". Why take the chance? The ones that don't end up in a netters net, or a Indians fishery, will probably end up in a hookers net above Priest Rapids. How ignorant can we get, and what is the point?

What run are you referring to when you speak of it coming back? It is back, unless you know something the WDFW, ODFW, HSRG, NMFS, doesn't. Maybe you should let them know, I'm sure they would be interested, as they have spent millions coming up with the data that shows the summer chinook are not to be listed as ESA. The numbers of summer chinook have been increasing at a steady rate since the turn of the century, as have the netters take as well as the hookers take. This years projection is for 90,000 into the columbia system of which the escapement objective is 20,000.

The main difference between springers and summers, as determined by the collective managers, is their place of origin. Once again, if you know something everybody else doesn't, please share.

There is no such thing as a selective fishery. There is a release mortality associated with any catch and release fishery, some worse than others.

There is no biological reason, that I have discovered, for the release of summer chinook in the lower columbia.
Your right the numbers have increased since 2000, but the fishery didn't open until 2003/2004 because of low numbers. Like I said in my post tho better then 60% of the fish i've caught before July 1 are SPRINGES not summers. Thats why I don't mind letting the wild ones go. I've never really had any problem finding a couple fin clipped ones to take home

"How ignorant can we get, and what is the point"

I guess the point is alot of the fish caught before July are still Springers not summers and these fish are protected up until June 15th so why not let them go after the 16th? Lots of fishermen can't tell the difference between the 2 so I guess its DFW way of making sure these fish get released. If you really want to know I would suggest you contact DFW and ask them.
keizer rapids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #19
ToneFish
Coho

Anyone know what decision was made this morning about more days for the nets?
Thanx
ToneFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

The meeting was canceled; postponed until Thursday, rather...Summer run is behind prediction...

Robert Service