Wolves on Hebo Mtn??? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Fish & Game Management

Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
long_shot
Ifish Nate

Default Wolves on Hebo Mtn???

!!!!!!DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!!!

I have some friends that were running hounds up by Hebo Mtn last night and apparently ran into some wolves, I guess they ran across the road in front of them. From what I was told they also talked with a ODFW employee up their that said they have planted 2 pairs in that area and have been tracking them from Agency Cr. to Hebo Mtn.

Please do not bash me, but this is not the first report I have gotten about wolf/wolf track sightings in the area. My girlfriend is from that area so we hear a lot from her friends and family. Can anyone on here verify any of this?

long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Wolves on Hebo Mtn???

How deep were they planting them?
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Central OR Bowhunt
Tuna!

Wow wow wow, Hebo MT on the coast range?

If they want them on this side of the state at least transplant them in Portland.
Central OR Bowhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Dr.Black-tail
Steelhead

Sounds like the cats out of the bag. There have been wolves there for awhile
Dr.Black-tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_shot View Post
From what I was told they also talked with a ODFW employee up their that said they have planted 2 pairs in that area

And where is their funding coming from?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

I cannot possibly think of a reason why ODFW would be planting wolves anywhere without being completely transparent about it.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
long_shot
Ifish Nate

Hey guys I have no clue, this is just what I have been told. I cannot answer any questions because I don't know the answers. I do know of 2 different houndsmen who refuse to run their dogs up their because of these supposed wolves. I also know of a person who grew up in the country and swears on his life that he seen 4 wolves last winter up Pumpkin Seed Rd in his back yard. This guy called me the next morning and told me about it, I had NEVER talked to him about wolves EVER before, heck we had never even talked about hunting. So I just thought I would pass this info on. Not one of these sources has any reason to lie to me.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
treeguy
Steelhead

maybe they will migrate to Forest Park , so all of the " Portlanders " can see them

oh well ......
treeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Orion
Tuna!

Long Shot,

I certainly can't verify the story, and I have no intention of shooting the messenger. Having said that, I just can't imagine that the ODFW has a "Black Ops budget" for planting and tracking wolves. While some may question decisions made by ODFW , I just can't get my head around the idea that they could decide to plant wolves and try to keep it quiet. It's bad enough that they are in Oregon at all. Planting wolves in dairy country would be a bad decision of epic proportions.

Orion

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

I certainly am no expert in this arena but a couple of things come to mind...I have heard alot of discussion in the past about hybrids. Could it be hybrids that owners let go? And secondly, if that wolf #7 or whatever could migrate from way over in E. Oregon and is currently being tracked in northern Cali...certainly possible for a pair or two to make it to the coast range, isn't it? Or does ODF&W have tracking devices on every wolf?

I'm with the Forest Park idea...for wolves AND cougar. Probably already cougs in Forest Park.
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
long_shot
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Long Shot,

I certainly can't verify the story, and I have no intention of shooting the messenger. Having said that, I just can't imagine that the ODFW has a "Black Ops budget" for planting and tracking wolves. While some may question decisions made by ODFW , I just can't get my head around the idea that they could decide to plant wolves and try to keep it quiet. It's bad enough that they are in Oregon at all. Planting wolves in dairy country would be a bad decision of epic proportions.

Orion
I cannot really say that I do believe them, but at the same time I cannot say I don't. I guess it is just one of those things that one would have to see with there own eyes. I certainly hope that this is not true, but if it is then I am with the Forest Park crowd......How funny would that be!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Vans
Steelhead

Oh come on.
Vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Bill Monroe
King Salmon

This thread belongs on the fishing forum...

"Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting
So much as just finding the gold."
Robert Service

Bill Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Big Unit
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Monroe View Post
This thread belongs on the fishing forum...

BU
Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
RayandMandi
Chromer

Last year I found this track.......went for about 1/2 mile crossing on and off the road with a lone set of elk tracks. This was above agency creek and the closest other vehicle or boot tracks we saw were well over 5-8 miles away?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
RayandMandi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #16
a12seccrx
Tuna!

I sure hope not!! I'm not looking forward to the day I feel that I need to carry a side arm while fishing the upper Nestucca!!!!
a12seccrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsOutdrs View Post
...does ODF&W have tracking devices on every wolf?
Making the assumption that the question is: "Does ODF&W have tracking devices on every wolf currently residing within the borders of the state of Oregon?"

According to the testimony given at the ODFW Commission meeting on Friday, January 6, 2012: "Not at the present time".

Certainly would be useful for a number of different reasons.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #18
Fifthgenhunter
Steelhead

Yet another AMAZINGLY great reason....

NOT TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU MIGHT THINK!
Fifthgenhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #19
fishcatcher541
Chromer

I certainly wouldn't put it past ODF&W... Someone please tell me the last good thing ODF&W has done for Big Game in Oregon?
fishcatcher541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #20
nehalemguy
Sturgeon

That explains the black helicopters I saw the other day!
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
flipperdog
Chromer

What is it with these racey black helos that we see flying around the Wenaha unit as well. Looks like a jazzed up Bell 206B. Do we not have an economic problem in this state? Why are we spending money we do not have?
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #22
huntgrouse
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandMandi View Post
Last year I found this track.......went for about 1/2 mile crossing on and off the road with a lone set of elk tracks. This was above agency creek and the closest other vehicle or boot tracks we saw were well over 5-8 miles away?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Ray-
A track made by a wolf will really make you stop and wonder. This track was made by a juvenile and its still bigger than what I've seen from other dogs.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
Groovy
Steelhead

Smile Re: Wolves on Hebo Mtn???

There have been no wolves "planted" anywhere in Oregon

come on joe that is exactly what we were all told a decade ago, then all of a sudden it was " ya we planted wolves in oregon, but we are keeping quiet about it". we all know that we can't trust our state agencies to be honest and truthful to the public on this subject, if wolves were not planted on mt.hebo i am sure that there is a person or two with the aroma of natural incense drooling over the idea.
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
Vans
Steelhead

I saw one up a Browns Camp.....
Vans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #25
chipmayes
Steelhead

Any time you deal with a state or government agency such as fish and game that is slowly being made up of non hunting and fishing employees you will never get the truth from and as long as this re introduce predator program going on you will still ne getting those off the record talks with game cops about the never ending shoot, shovel and shut up talks. If the people in charge would realy be straight with what there realy are or aren't doing we wouldn't be needing this thread.
chipmayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #26
SandyRiverFisher
Ifish Nate

There is no " re introduce predator program", and "game cops" have nothing to do with fish and game agencies, at least not in Oregon.

Lots of folks on this board and elsewhere need to stop taking wildlife management advice from police officers, and legal advice from ODFW employees.
SandyRiverFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
Au-en-boy
Steelhead

I have PERSONALLY seen a pair of wolves up on Hebo from about 85 yards. They were stalking the very same deer that I was hunting - the deer ended up blowing out and headed for the next county. The wolves dropped down the canyon and out of sight, but I had them in sight and in the scope for some time. No, it wasn't just a fleeting glimpse, more like 15 - 20 seconds, with multiple looks for anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. And I am POSITIVE they were wolves and not yotes or hybrids - WAYYY too big, like 100 pounds too big.

So you "experts" can tell yourselves what you want, just keep reminding yourselves that the government would never lie to you. Not just keep details from you, but downright LIE to keep their butts covered.
Au-en-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

I believe you.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

Please remember that you have to sign your real name if you are complaining about a person, business or government entity. And also remember this is a "one strike and you are out" forum.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
salmonfisher77
Ifish Nate

Hopefully around 6'!
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbobber View Post
How deep were they planting them?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au-en-boy View Post
I have PERSONALLY seen a pair of wolves up on Hebo from about 85 yards. They were stalking the very same deer that I was hunting - the deer ended up blowing out and headed for the next county. The wolves dropped down the canyon and out of sight, but I had them in sight and in the scope for some time. No, it wasn't just a fleeting glimpse, more like 15 - 20 seconds, with multiple looks for anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds. And I am POSITIVE they were wolves and not yotes or hybrids - WAYYY too big, like 100 pounds too big.

So you "experts" can tell yourselves what you want, just keep reminding yourselves that the government would never lie to you. Not just keep details from you, but downright LIE to keep their butts covered.
What is this lie that we are being told? Who is covering their butt? Conspiracies abound but so far they seem a bit far fetched and lack any sensible explanation. So did "they" plant wolves on Mt Hebo???? Why is this a secret when all other factual info about actual wolves in Oregon public knowledge? Are "they" planning something????????
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #32
Lvhntn
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Black-tail View Post
True statement, 2yrs ago while bowhunting just up agency I came face to face with one at about 15ft, then later the same year my brother and I were glassing for elk and spotted one (maybe the same one) about a mile off. We used a log laying next to it to gauge it's size, and there is no possible way it was a coyote. About 15 years ago when coming back from sighting our guns in, a buddy and I saw one right in the road, again, wayyy too big to be a coyote. My Dad used to tell me when I was a kid that he saw one up agency as well, so, they have been ther a long time. I have heard them howling on many occassions.
Lvhntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #33
gottafish
King Salmon

Several years ago I saw two at ollali lake in the cascades cross the road I went to the forest service and they said just coyotes. I said really They didnt look anything like the 500 plus yots I have trapped in the last 20 years. went to fish and game and they said that they were wolf dogs that some wolf lover ( cant remember the name of said group) group planted and that they issued citations to them for there actions and they were trapping them. I have not seen them since. Now having said that and reviewing this thread, I do believe you all saw a wolf of some sort. they most likley are not the Canadian gray wolf that you think but still. there goal is to end hunting through the wolf and if the ODFW cant do that for them they will do it themselves. Quit blaming the ODFW they are doing what they can. Id start looking a little east to salm based orginization like preditor defence

http://www.predatordefense.org/issues.htm
Or
http://ecotrope.opb.org/2011/10/wolf...-off-the-hunt/

Now Im not saying these orginizations have anything to do with it but one of there members or like minded people could have shurly dreamed of seeing wolves there and bought and bread a pack
http://www.wolfzone1.com/

http://www.starcrosswolves.com/

Its no different then someone stocking a lake with large mouth. Its just my opinion and thoughts. I believe you guys saw a wolf just not a gray wolf and Im sure the odfw had nothing to do with it.
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #34
12pulls
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Black-tail View Post

There has been rumors of wolves up in that drainage for several decades. I have little doubt on the possibility of it being so. We reported wolf sightings well over 12 years ago out of Camp Creek (John Day) long before they caught that Idaho wolf roaming around there. IMO, wolves are not a problem. Poachers and enviormental issues are a much bigger issue to the viability of deer and elk.
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #35
bowhuntert
Steelhead

I have seen them in the Slivies unit. My Uncle seen some we told a forest ranger about it. He said that they are cross breads of the dog yote kind. Must be half great dane. A buddy of mine has pictures of some up in the snow peak area. Not one a pack of about eight. This was about 7 years ago. There here have always been here. TY
bowhuntert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #36
jbohren
Fry

Too Small for a wolf track. I have pictures somewhere of some taken north of McGrath Alaska.
jbohren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
stumpyin08
Chromer

Bowhuntert, Could you post that picture? I've hunted Snow Peak off and on for the last 15-20 years and my brother still lives in Thrill City, and this is the first I've heard of wolves up there. There is a lot of terrain up there to get lost in, so it is possible.
stumpyin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #38
rattler or quacker
Coho

I have no idea but isn't there a Hedo mt on the east side somewhere?
rattler or quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #39
stumpyin08
Chromer

A Google search shows one Mt. Hebo in Oregon.
stumpyin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #40
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpyin08 View Post
A Google search shows one Mt. Hebo in Oregon.
Oh, that Mt Hebo. I thought they were talking about Hebo Mtn. Of course there are tons of wolves here in the coast range on Mt Hebo. I wouldn't bother ever hunting there again.....probably get ate by a wolf or worse not see any game since the super concentration of coastal wolves have cleaned us out. Coastal wolves are the most stealthy of all wolves and so far have avoided ever being photographed nor have they ever left a track that could be confirmed to be made by a wolf. There the sneaky ones.....
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #41
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

I find it interesting that folks "report" wolf siting to the USFS, but not ODFW? I find it interesting that with all the potential sitings there's no evidence. I find it interesting that no one's explained why ODFW, or any state agency anywhere, would keep factual data regarding wolf locations a secret. Yes, they probably can't legally reveil exact den sites and up to date radio collar data (they don't provide that for deer and elk either) but there's no reason not to provide documentation of general locations such as Mt. Hebo.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #42
Straydog
King Salmon

Quote:
I find it interesting that folks "report" wolf siting to the USFS, but not ODFW? I find it interesting that with all the potential sitings there's no evidence. I find it interesting that no one's explained why ODFW, or any state agency anywhere, would keep factual data regarding wolf locations a secret. Yes, they probably can't legally reveil exact den sites and up to date radio collar data (they don't provide that for deer and elk either) but there's no reason not to provide documentation of general locations such as Mt. Hebo.
Interesting thoughts. Glad to see you are thinking. Conspiracy theories run deep, eh??

Last edited by Straydog; 01-20-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #43
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
...they probably can't legally reveil ...up to date radio collar data...
An interesting statement, since ODFW Commission Chair Dan Edge brought up the possibility of that exact concept during the 2011 Wolf Management Report portion of the Jan. 6, 2012 commission meeting. Location information is being currently being texted at 5:30am and 5:30pm to certain landowners; he wanted to know if/why this information couldn't be provided to everyone (specifically for the potential of viewing opportunities).
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #44
igotgame
Cutthroat

They will not be happy until everyone stops buying elk tags for a year or two. hit them where it hurts and let them know how most tax paying Oregon Citizens feel...Otherwise they ( ODFW) will do what they want at our expense ( taxes)...Maybe we can get as many wolves as Idaho so the Elk populations go bonk here too!
igotgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #45
igotgame
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12seccrx View Post
I sure hope not!! I'm not looking forward to the day I feel that I need to carry a side arm while fishing the upper Nestucca!!!!
Be more afraid of people and their intentions than wolves. Wolves eat deer/elk but people pray on people, I would still carry in the wood pal !
igotgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #46
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
An interesting statement, since ODFW Commission Chair Dan Edge brought up the possibility of that exact concept during the 2011 Wolf Management Report portion of the Jan. 6, 2012 commission meeting. Location information is being currently being texted at 5:30am and 5:30pm to certain landowners; he wanted to know if/why this information couldn't be provided to everyone (specifically for the potential of viewing opportunities).
Would seem legally that info could not be with held since it is acquired through public funds. Just needs the right people to apply the right pressure (law suit).

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #47
DropTheHammer
Coho

So lets say one is out hunting yotes/game in the hebo region and they come across one of these "wolves". It has no collar and is much larger than a yote, BUT knowing what we know by ODFW publications there should be/are no wolves in this region AND if you were to ask an ODFW official I am sure they would reassure you that there are no wolves in the coast range. What would you believe to be the repercussions for taking the shot assuming that he/she has all necessary licenses and is on the assumption that it is a coyote, but indeed it was a wolf in the coast range?
DropTheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #48
roadsend
King Salmon

I would suggest asking your local OSP game officer.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #49
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntgrouse View Post
Ray-
A track made by a wolf will really make you stop and wonder. This track was made by a juvenile and its still bigger than what I've seen from other dogs.
Remember mud and snow exaggerate the size of prints.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #50
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
Even in mud, unless the hand is very small this track was from a large dog or wolf. Depending on where it was taken I'd suspect dog, feral or domestic, over wolf. Coyotes do not get that large, cats are rounder and usualy show no sign of claws.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #51
huntgrouse
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
Even in mud, unless the hand is very small this track was from a large dog or wolf. Depending on where it was taken I'd suspect dog, feral or domestic, over wolf. Coyotes do not get that large, cats are rounder and usualy show no sign of claws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
That print was made by a juvenile wolf in Denali Nat. Park about 20 minutes before I took that picture. The mud in that picture is fairly firm, my boot prints were sinking about the same depth as that print.

I have seen wolf tracks that are larger (not exagerated by mud or snow) but uploaded this picture as a general example so that some who have not seen many wolf tracks could get and idea of the scale of a wolf track. It's obviously not a cat track, and as Keta stated, other than a realy big domestic dog, we don't have anything down here that big other than from one of our formerly indigenous, newly immigrated hot-button issue dogs.