OR-7 crosses CA border - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Fish & Game Management

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
daiello91
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,601
Default OR-7 crosses CA border

The wolf finally crossed into CA...good riddens don't let the door hit you on the way out!

daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Bait Bucket
King Salmon
 
Bait Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,166
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Halleluyah!
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
TTFishon
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mohawk valley
Posts: 758
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

I wonder how many are out there that they don't know about roaming around?
TTFishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
Brute
Sturgeon
 
Brute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Podunk Or.
Posts: 3,868
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A lone gray wolf has wandered across the Oregon border into California in what wildlife officials hailed Thursday as the historic return of a species not seen in the state in more than 80 years.

Biologists tracked the wolf's position to a few miles south of the state line in Siskiyou County, the California Department of Fish and Game said.

A global positioning system collar was placed on the wolf in February. Since then, the 2-year-old male has wandered more than 300 miles from its original location. Its movement into California was widely anticipated as it approached the border just before Christmas.

"Whether one is for it or against it, the entry of this lone wolf into California is an historic event," said Department of Fish and Game Director Charlton H. Bonham, acknowledging the debate over the spread of wolves in the western U.S.

The GPS data put the wolf in California as of Wednesday. Officials said they would only provide general information about its location, since gray wolves in California are designated a federally endangered species.

The last confirmed wild gray wolf in California was killed in 1924 by a trapper protecting livestock. Conflict between wolves and ranchers across the West remains a key point of tension as reintroduction efforts in recent decades have led to the species' spread.

Biologists said they don't know if the wolf will remain in California or wander back to Oregon or on to Nevada. They said the wide wandering from its pack in Oregon was typical behavior for a young male wolf.

The fish and game department expects other wolves to arrive in California at some point as part of a slow wolf migration linked to the 1995 introduction of a Canadian gray wolf pack to Idaho and areas around Yellowstone National Park. Wolves first re-entered Oregon in 1999.

Multiple wolves in California could lead to new packs becoming established, or they could simply wander on.

"If the gray wolf does establish a population in California, there will be much more work to do here," Bonham said.

While the wolves in California will be under federal protection, state regulators said they have no wolf management plan and no intention to actively reintroduce the animals to the state.
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
flipperdog
Chromer
 
flipperdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Socialistic Oregon
Posts: 774
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

What???
No Plan, but we Oregonians thought you would be so proud of us with our agenda. Boy California is really falling down on the "green" job opportunity. What next, they are not going to let the wolf stay!!!!
__________________
Thank God first!!
flipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
Eagleclaw
King Salmon
 
Eagleclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canby
Posts: 7,277
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Let's hurry and build a fence so he can't come back
Eagleclaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

So far OR-7 has behaved well and is in some remote country and in parts of my old trapline.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
FrogPond
Sturgeon
 
FrogPond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Albany
Posts: 3,826
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

So, I guess he gets to change his name to CA-1
__________________
Josh
#1940

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

“I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.”
― Bill Cosby
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Sauvie's Slayer
Tuna!
 
Sauvie's Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Aloha, Oregon
Posts: 1,053
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPond View Post
So, I guess he gets to change his name to CA-1
Hahahaha love it!!
Sauvie's Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
CptnMorgan
Sturgeon
 
CptnMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Turner
Posts: 4,744
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Time to place checkpoints for reentry into Oregon.

"Sir you have any fruit, vegetable, wolves?"
CptnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
adobe wall
King Salmon
 
adobe wall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 5,869
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

I wonder if they'd like a few more???
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
Cliff D.
Sturgeon
 
Cliff D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colton
Posts: 4,838
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobe wall View Post
I wonder if they'd like a few more???
Plenty more, where that one came from.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 AM   #13
daiello91
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

I'd bet money you'll never be able to hunt them just like cougars down in CA.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
sshaffer
Coho
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 56
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Technology is amazing, nov.14 in n.cal. who is getting paid to PUSH/track/rangeride/give accurate timely GPS coords. or does this all add up in a timely order from 300mi. or 700mi. Crater lake K falls dates and times. Between the THREE'S in charge, the NEWS, and NETT (5) total where does the real truth lie??????? IS it OR-7 catch up and see!!! l<>l
sshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
long_shot
Ifish Nate
 
long_shot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sheridan
Posts: 2,160
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshaffer View Post
Technology is amazing, nov.14 in n.cal. who is getting paid to PUSH/track/rangeride/give accurate timely GPS coords. or does this all add up in a timely order from 300mi. or 700mi. Crater lake K falls dates and times. Between the THREE'S in charge, the NEWS, and NETT (5) total where does the real truth lie??????? IS it OR-7 catch up and see!!! l<>l
What???
long_shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
ehunter
King Salmon
 
ehunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hillsboro Oregon
Posts: 8,070
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

If CA is so excited for one wolf why don't we offer to trap all the wolves that come from Oregon and haul them to CA. I would be happy to volunteer
__________________
Team Purist If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
sshaffer
Coho
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 56
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_shot View Post
What???
Just read all posts here,news-headlines,odfw and F&G and track for yourself. Let us know how your math works out on times, dates,miles and where he will end up??? With a mate if he leaves a good trail or has a good nose!!! l<>l
sshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
nehalemguy
Sturgeon
 
nehalemguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernonia
Posts: 4,281
Default

I understand part of what you are saying. Some news reports describe OR-7's travels as 300 miles, others as 700 miles. But who's counting.

E
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #19
Rimrocks has a birthday Rimrocks
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Out back.....
Posts: 1,595
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Love it!!!!

"Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind.....how many years will it be before some So. Cal. Wolf activist get's it's pet gutted by a wolf......clock is ticking.

This is just toooo good.

Tick Tock.
Rimrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #20
blackcaphunter
Chromer
 
blackcaphunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 751
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

I hear there is a trail cam pic of him floating around.
blackcaphunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #21
Bigkntry
Steelhead
 
Bigkntry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 105
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Here is the story and trail cam pic
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/05/416...-it-stays.html

51Yo9_Xl_4.jpg
Bigkntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #22
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigkntry View Post
I can't keep from thinking it's nice to see a wolf in our woods. OR-7 is just south of my old trapline and has passed through it.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
fishstik
Tuna!
 
fishstik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: S.W. Washington
Posts: 1,463
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTFishon View Post
I wonder how many are out there that they don't know about roaming around?
I know of one i found last monday 5 miles in behind a gated road, i will generalize and say south skamania county...
__________________
Shopping at Cabelas with my wife is like hunting with a game warden!
Hawk fan forever! GO HAWKS!
TEAM "I caught a fish I wanna be a guide"
CCA Member! I.D.#1367098
fishstik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #24
gottafish
King Salmon
 
gottafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Troutdale
Posts: 8,047
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstik View Post
I know of one i found last monday 5 miles in behind a gated road, i will generalize and say south skamania county...
Im sure OR-7 was not alone
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
Bill Rogue V.
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Redmond, Oregon
Posts: 4,722
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Let's just hope he takes a liking to the Golden State.
Bill Rogue V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Let's just hope he takes a liking to the Golden State.
And finds an "alternant lifestyle" Rottweiler to shack up with.

Even though OR-7 passed through a friends sheep ranch west of Fort Klamath a few weeks ago he has been well behaved and I think it's interesting to have a wolf in Klamath County again. I want to see my second Oregon wolf, the last one I saw in the upper basin/Klamath County was on the Sycan in the late 50's. I wouldn't mind LEGALY trapping wolves again too. We went out last week looking for tracks (and trying to call in a lion) but I think we are too far north for OR-7 now.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #27
nehalemguy
Sturgeon
 
nehalemguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernonia
Posts: 4,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalemguy View Post
I understand part of what you are saying. Some news reports describe OR-7's travels as 300 miles, others as 700 miles. But who's counting.

E
Now NBC is saying 1000 miles!!!!!

E
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
Gun Rod Bow
 
Gun Rod Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 10,168
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

At the ODFW Commission meeting last Friday someone asked if CA was going to repay OR for their tracking collar.
__________________
Now Jeff wants to be like me
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #29
Bait Bucket
King Salmon
 
Bait Bucket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,166
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
At the ODFW Commission meeting last Friday someone asked if CA was going to repay OR for their tracking collar.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #30
flipperdog
Chromer
 
flipperdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Socialistic Oregon
Posts: 774
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

I believe California is broke, so it will have to be an IOU!!! Not.
__________________
Thank God first!!
flipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #31
waterbobber
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yakima area
Posts: 2,925
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehalemguy View Post
Now NBC is saying 1000 miles!!!!!

E
Isn't one number the total miles traveled based on the GPS while the other is the lineal distance traveled? I don't find a total travel distance of 1000 miles over 3 months all that surprising for a lone young male.
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #32
nehalemguy
Sturgeon
 
nehalemguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernonia
Posts: 4,281
Default

The article does not specify but I suspect it's probably total miles traveled. If you think about it, there are probably wolves, coyotes, etc., that travel that many miles and more without ever leaving their home territory.

E
nehalemguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #33
SILVERSINK
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tigard Ore
Posts: 1,584
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Another one of our young ones heading south to get a valley girl
SILVERSINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #34
EagleEye
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sherwood
Posts: 253
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Reported today that he has now moved out of Shasta and into Lassen County.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
EagleEye
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sherwood
Posts: 253
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

For those who are interested on following this wolf's travels here is a link from Claifornia fish and game.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/nongame/wolf/
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #36
fhs willamette
Chromer
 
fhs willamette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 650
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
For those who are interested on following this wolf's travels here is a link from Claifornia fish and game.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/nongame/wolf/
Looks like he's headed for Reno.
fhs willamette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #37
Straydog
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Grants Pass, Oregon
Posts: 7,726
Default OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

Quote:
A young gray wolf's search for a mate apparently won't take him to the northern Nevada desert where the annual Burning Man festival is staged.

The wolf known as OR-7 came within 15 miles of the Nevada line near Susanville, Calif., early last week before he decided to head back west away from the nation's most arid state, said Mark Stopher, spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game. It had been headed toward the Black Rock Desert where the eclectic art and music festival is held each summer, wildlife officials said. ...................

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...from_nort.html
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #38
daiello91
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

Probably said..."oh (fill in the blank)" for several reasons, and turned back. I have no doubt he'll end up dead (natural causes or otherwise) before mating.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #39
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
I have no doubt he'll end up dead (natural causes or otherwise) before mating.
I hope not, he is in an area that would be good for wolves, the south Warner Mountains. If he heads north again it's only 50 or so miles from where I saw the wolf in the late 50s. The Sycan/Gearhardt area would be another good place to let a small number of woves get established.

OR-7 has been a well behaved animal so far. No reported livestock killed when he was in the Fort Klamath Area, a part of Klamath County that has a lot of cattle. It even passed thru a friends sheep ranch without killing any stock.

More wolves will follow OR-7 scent trail soon.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #40
daiello91
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
I hope not, he is in an area that would be good for wolves, the south Warner Mountains. If he heads north again it's only 50 or so miles from where I saw the wolf in the late 50s. The Sycan/Gearhardt area would be another good place to let a small number of woves get established.

OR-7 has been a well behaved animal so far. No reported livestock killed when he was in the Fort Klamath Area, a part of Klamath County that has a lot of cattle. It even passed thru a friends sheep ranch without killing any stock.

More wolves will follow OR-7 scent trail soon.
Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't. He may have been too focused on traveling to hunt much at this point.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #41
EagleEye
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sherwood
Posts: 253
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Currently he is hanging out on what must be a food source based on what the California web site is showing. He had made a good move back to the west but has turned around again and headed back to the east to where he still more than likely has something to eat. I believe he will back track at some point here shortly and be in Oregon before too long. I would think that if he has not found any sign of wolves where he is at now he would go home where he knows other wolves will be. It is still the mating season so I'm sure he will be covering some country in the near future.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #42
Cliff D.
Sturgeon
 
Cliff D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colton
Posts: 4,838
Default Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't. He may have been too focused on traveling to hunt much at this point.
Just because you haven't robbed a bank doesn't mean you won't, Dom. You may have been too focused on marriage to rob much at this point.
Sounds kind of silly when put this way. Don't you agree ?
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 AM   #43
daiello91
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff D. View Post
Just because you haven't robbed a bank doesn't mean you won't, Dom. You may have been too focused on marriage to rob much at this point.
Sounds kind of silly when put this way. Don't you agree ?
What sounds silly is comparing a creature with comprehensive reasoning abilities to an instinct based creature.

It's currently breeding season, its a fact wild male species eat much less during such times. When he settles into an area do you honestly believe he'll ignore the easiest of food choices in preference for more difficult wild game? Come on now, the patterns of the wolves currently in E. OR speak for themselves. He's much more likely to predate than not to predate.

Last edited by daiello91; 02-01-2012 at 03:50 AM.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #44
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

I agree, OR-7 has not killed livestock YET.

He was traveling when he passed north of Fort Klamath and not with a pack, even a wolf will hesitate to take down a large animal when not hunting with it's pack.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #45
Cliff D.
Sturgeon
 
Cliff D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colton
Posts: 4,838
Default Re: OR 7 backing off on Nevada venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
What sounds silly is comparing a creature with comprehensive reasoning abilities to an instinct based creature.

It's currently breeding season, its a fact wild male species eat much less during such times. When he settles into an area do you honestly believe he'll ignore the easiest of food choices in preference for more difficult wild game? Come on now, the patterns of the wolves currently in E. OR speak for themselves. He's much more likely to predate than not to predate.
Just being "Devil's advocate" on this one, Dom.
We all know what will happen, once he settles down.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #46
daiello91
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Center for Biodiversity has started its cries for wolf protection (ie money requesting emails) in California.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #47
flipperdog
Chromer
 
flipperdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Socialistic Oregon
Posts: 774
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

You are way off! Wolves in Californica do not eat meat!! Yes and they eat "bearies" and pink Tofu. You are way off!!
__________________
Thank God first!!
flipperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #48
FishingTheWest
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,075
Default Video footage of OR-7

http://vimeo.com/34725701
__________________
"The little hand says it's time to rock n' roll."
FishingTheWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #49
haysrg669
Steelhead
 
haysrg669's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 296
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A lone gray wolf has wandered across the Oregon border into California in what wildlife officials hailed Thursday as the historic return of a species not seen in the state in more than 80 years.

Biologists tracked the wolf's position to a few miles south of the state line in Siskiyou County, the California Department of Fish and Game said.

A global positioning system collar was placed on the wolf in February. Since then, the 2-year-old male has wandered more than 300 miles from its original location. Its movement into California was widely anticipated as it approached the border just before Christmas.

"Whether one is for it or against it, the entry of this lone wolf into California is an historic event," said Department of Fish and Game Director Charlton H. Bonham, acknowledging the debate over the spread of wolves in the western U.S.

The GPS data put the wolf in California as of Wednesday. Officials said they would only provide general information about its location, since gray wolves in California are designated a federally endangered species.

The last confirmed wild gray wolf in California was killed in 1924 by a trapper protecting livestock. Conflict between wolves and ranchers across the West remains a key point of tension as reintroduction efforts in recent decades have led to the species' spread.

Biologists said they don't know if the wolf will remain in California or wander back to Oregon or on to Nevada. They said the wide wandering from its pack in Oregon was typical behavior for a young male wolf.

The fish and game department expects other wolves to arrive in California at some point as part of a slow wolf migration linked to the 1995 introduction of a Canadian gray wolf pack to Idaho and areas around Yellowstone National Park. Wolves first re-entered Oregon in 1999.

Multiple wolves in California could lead to new packs becoming established, or they could simply wander on.

"If the gray wolf does establish a population in California, there will be much more work to do here," Bonham said.

While the wolves in California will be under federal protection, state regulators said they have no wolf management plan and no intention to actively reintroduce the animals to the state.
Wandered or took a helicopter ride???????????
__________________
Mountain Man
Look below to see what lurks in Oregon
http://www.ifish.net/gallery/showgal...0/ppuser/39873
haysrg669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #50
daiello91
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysrg669 View Post
Wandered or took a helicopter ride???????????

Unless you have verifiable proof just stop right there.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #51
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
Unless you have verifiable proof just stop right there.
He was not airborne when he crossed my friends ranch west of Fort Klamath, tracks prove it.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #52
Cliff D.
Sturgeon
 
Cliff D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colton
Posts: 4,838
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
He was not airborne when he crossed my friends ranch west of Fort Klamath, tracks prove it.
Unless you have verifiable proof, then just stop right there.
"If the Bruno Magli don't fit, you must aquit !!".
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #53
Rank Amateur
King Salmon
 
Rank Amateur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vernonia Or.
Posts: 12,131
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Looks like they might be starting to loose the signal. If he keeps crossing those highways it is just a matter of time!
__________________
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass without consideration."- Izaak Walton

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #54
EagleEye
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sherwood
Posts: 253
Wink Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Hide threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
  • CA DFG News 8:44 am on February 20, 2012

    Feb. 20 back in Siskiyou County

    Feb. 20, 2012: OR7 has traveled a great distance over the weekend. He traveled from the south end of Shasta County all the way to the northern boundary with Siskiyou. He then traveled approximately 42 more miles north/northwest and is now in northeast Siskiyou County.


Looks like he will be back in Oregon in the next day or two. Sounds like he is following his path he took into Cali back home. Someone should be there giving him a welcome home.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #55
jimhs
Coho
 
jimhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Baker City, Oregon
Posts: 70
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

I personally don't believe that wolf traveled that far that quick all by himself. I think he got a ride down to southern Oregon in a pickup or helicopter.

And the classroom biologists tell us that he is down there looking for a mate? And that he'll never find one down there. Or will he? How long will it take before the environmentalists start pushing to have at least one more female wolf put down there for him to find a breed with???
jimhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #56
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhs View Post
I personally don't believe that wolf traveled that far that quick all by himself. I think he got a ride down to southern Oregon in a pickup or helicopter.
Travel like this is common with young wolves when driven from it's pack by the alpha male. Confirmed wolf tracks have been found along OR-7 path and now it looks like it is backtracking it's sent trail, something hard to do if a helicopter was used.

The worse thing here is other wolves will follow OR-7's path.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #57
daiello91
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
Travel like this is common with young wolves when driven from it's pack by the alpha male. Confirmed wolf tracks have been found along OR-7 path and now it looks like it is backtracking it's sent trail, something hard to do if a helicopter was used.

The worse thing here is other wolves will follow OR-7's path.
Yeah, this wasn't transported by vehicle. The GPS data is public information.

I've seen many collared males from different species travel long distances during breeding season. This isn't some crazy new thing. It happens all the time.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #58
Blacktail Slayer
Sturgeon
 
Blacktail Slayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,633
Default Re: OR-7 crosses CA border

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
Yeah, this wasn't transported by vehicle. The GPS data is public information.

I've seen many collared males from different species travel long distances during breeding season. This isn't some crazy new thing. It happens all the time.


Nothing new I haven't seen with other wolves and mountain lions. I have seen the GPS data of a lion that crossed rivers, highways, all kinds of terrain while traveling through 4 different states.
__________________
Team Spot-Hogg
Adam Raymond
Blacktail Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #59
huntercgr
Super Moderator
 
huntercgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Dry Side
Posts: 14,005
Default He's baaaack

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...oregon_at.html

I'd be interested to see his route down to California, and how close his return back followed it.
huntercgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #60
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: He's baaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercgr View Post
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...oregon_at.html

I'd be interested to see his route down to California, and how close his return back followed it.
We have good tracking snow, I might head down to the funnel he traveled through east of the Klamath Canyon and see if we can find some old tracks. I'd bet he shows up in the Fort Klamath area soon.
__________________

Support OCEAN for the future of Oregon saltwater fishing OCEAN
Pro Staff, Hogg's Hardcore Tuna Tackle 362 SW Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)887-6845
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.98676 seconds with 81 queries