Salmon Drift Fishing Rod: Recommendations - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
DylanG
Chromer

Default Salmon Drift Fishing Rod: Recommendations

After finishing my first season fishing for fall chinook in the rivers I realized that I am extremely under gunned for fishing rods. I lost a couple fish simply because i could not horse them away from obstacles, specifically a huge chromer I hooked last weekend fishing the Kilchis River.

So my question is if I were to upgrade to a heavier drift fishing rod what would it be? Full set up reel and rod set up?? For reference Im currently drift fishing with a G-Loomis 1025c rated 8-17lb with an ambassadeur 4600 CL3 10lb maxima high vis line. Thanks in advance.

Dylan

DylanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
smoky
Chromer

Default Re: Salmon Drift Fishing Rod: Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanG View Post
After finishing my first season fishing for fall chinook in the rivers I realized that I am extremely under gunned for fishing rods. I lost a couple fish simply because i could not horse them away from obstacles, specifically a huge chromer I hooked last weekend fishing the Kilchis River.

So my question is if I were to upgrade to a heavier drift fishing rod what would it be? Full set up reel and rod set up?? For reference Im currently drift fishing with a G-Loomis 1025c rated 8-17lb with an ambassadeur 4600 CL3 10lb maxima high vis line. Thanks in advance.

Dylan
That 1025C is a great rod in a GL3 graphite. It was the first Loomis I ever bought. Actually the first rod I ever bought when I moved out here about 14 yrs ago.

Used it (from the bank) for Steelhead, COHO, and fall fish.

Slightly heavy for Steelhead, perfect for 8-20# COHO, but a little light for a large fall fish.

If you are drift fishing and have the $. Look for an HSR1025C in an IMX.
I know by defintion it is a "Hot Shot Rod" but the IMX graphite makes it superb for drift fishing. Looks like they only make it in a GL2 these days ( which makes sense because you dont need IMX sensitivity to pull plugs) but you might be able to find a used one.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

My fave for chinook is a 10-20 cert pro 8' 9" lami. I can pitch up to 3 oz of weight comfortably. 4oz is uncomfortable, but do-able for springers. For fall bruisers I want more rod, so I use a 12-25 lami, and I just purchased a new to me lami kenai king I havnt seen yet for drifting. I have used my big lamis with 2" pencil lead and 15lb line and had no issues. I think a rod rated 12-25 is probly what your lookin for. The problem with a rod rated that heavy is the weight after casting all day you can start to feel it in your shoulders. If it was me, I would be looking at an IMX or GL3 or a high end lami like a xmg or at least a cert pro. Sensitivity is everything and the rods ive listed have plenty. Let us know what you settle on. Good luck, Drifter.

Last edited by Drifterman; 12-16-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Drifterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
smoky
Chromer

Quote:

Dylan

Another option for alot less money would be an SAR1084CGL2. You wont get the sensitivity of an IMX or GL3 but you will be able to turn big fish with that rod.

Plus you can do so much with that rod.

It was designed for "mooching" herring. That it was I use it mainly for at Buoy 10 and the salt. But it is also a great fall fish bobber rod.

Think I saw one in the calssifieds for a decent price.
smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
SteelhdNut
Tuna!

I am a Lamiglas G-Series fan for life.
If drifting for salmon I prefer the G1310 and consider it plenty big enough for any fish up to about 40 lbs. Any bigger a brute and it's bending at the cork. It has a great backbone with a soft enough tip to pick up the slight bite. The G-series load up nice and even while drifting or pulling divers.
There are several Gloomis offerings that are really great; although I am not familiar enough with the line to steer you the right direction. Not to mention it was always a bit hard for me to absorb the big price tag that went with them.
I have sixteen G-series Lammy's and have never had any issues; and these rods get punished !
Old 12-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
roosevelt
King Salmon

hsr 1021, you can get them gl2,3 or imx. great salmon drift rod. good tip for the bite and lots of power.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Bigworm
Chromer

I have a G series as well..

Any 9'-9'6 10-20lb rod is a good choice. I do like a rod that's longer than the standard 8'6 because you have more rod to load up on when you hook a big fish. The 8-17lb is just too light if you hook anything big IMO. Took me 45min to land a 35-40lb nook on an IMX 8-17.

Last edited by Bigworm; 12-16-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Bigworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Thucker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
hsr 1021, you can get them gl2,3 or imx. great salmon drift rod. good tip for the bite and lots of power.
The HSR1021 is a great step up from the 1025 in terms of power. My buddy has one of those, I had the option of going with either one, I went with the 1025C because I prefer the slightly softer rods.
Thucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
veilside180sx
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigworm View Post
I have a G series as well..

Any 9'-9'6 10-12lb rod is a good choice. I do like a rod that's longer than the standard 8'6 because you have more rod to load up on when you hook a big fish. The 8-17lb is just too light if you hook anything big IMO. Took me 45min to land a 35-40lb nook on an IMX 8-17.
I think you meant 10-20 lb rating.
veilside180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Timber
Chromer

[QUOTE=roosevelt;3929463]hsr 1021, you can get them gl2,3 or imx. great salmon drift rod. good tip for the bite and lots of power.[/QUOTE
Spot on. The GL 3 has it all light sensitive and all the power you need. And the tip is light enough to cast a fairly light weight if needed.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilside180sx View Post
I think you meant 10-20 lb rating.
My bad.. thanks for pointing that out!
Old 12-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #12
DylanG
Chromer

[quote=Timber;3929750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
hsr 1021, you can get them gl2,3 or imx. great salmon drift rod. good tip for the bite and lots of power.[/QUOTE
Spot on. The GL 3 has it all light sensitive and all the power you need. And the tip is light enough to cast a fairly light weight if needed.

Im looking on the g loomis website and cannot find a hsr 1021 gl3. Do they still make that rod? The hsr 1021c gl3 sounds like what i might be looking for as i need a rod that will be able to cast a fairly light weight because most of the rivers i fish are on the smaller to medium size. Would the gl2 cast the same as the gl3?

Thinking about matching it with a ambassadeur 7000i c3, any thoughts on that?

Last edited by DylanG; 12-16-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Been in your same situation - I used to fish the 1025c in IMX for Kings and landed fish up to 40 lbs with it - awesome rod. I now fish the 1045c and love it. I thought about going to the HSR 1021c for the same reason you mentioned - wanted more power and was tired of getting my ass kicked by hot fish. If you have fished the 1025c and feel under-gunned, you may want to look at the 1021. I chose not to as it felt "clunkier" to me and not as enjoyable to fish with all day. The 1045c is so much fun to fish with and is so sensitive, I would have a hard time going to the 1021. Yes - I still get my butt kicked by the occasional fall Chinook, but here's what sealed the deal for me. When I started watching the other guys around me - the ones fishing the 10-20 and 12-25 rated rods - they were losing just as many fish as me, maybe even more. When you're fishing 10-12 lb test, there is only so much pressure you can put on a big fish no matter how pwerful your rod is. Sure...I lose a few chromers, but I am in it for the fun anyway. This is in relatively calm water - normal flows. If you are talking high water you probably should bump up to the 1021 or 1086, but I assume that is not the case since you mentioned you were fishing 10lb test. Hope that helps.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #14
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

[quote=DylanG;3929802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post

Im looking on the g loomis website and cannot find a hsr 1021 gl3. Do they still make that rod? The hsr 1021c gl3 sounds like what i might be looking for as i need a rod that will be able to cast a fairly light weight because most of the rivers i fish are on the smaller to medium size. Would the gl2 cast the same as the gl3?

They no longer make the GL3. In terms of reels, do yourself a HUGE favor and match it with a lightweight, low profile baitcaster like a Curado E, Chronarch E, or Revo STX. WOuld be a shame to spend all that money on a lightweight, sensitive rod then slap a clunky, heavy round reel on it. My $.02.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

I have never owned a 7000i c3 but that seems like a lot of reel. I really like the 5600 and the 6500 c4 and c3's. I have banked up to 30# fish with my 5600 without feeling under gunned. If it were me I would step up to 15 or 20 lb test line, in keeping with a heavier rod. It sounds to me like your on the right track though.

Last edited by Drifterman; 12-16-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
bigfishaddiction
Tuna!

My go to that has caught me hundreds of Silvers, Steelies and Nookies is a Rogue 9 foot 12 to 25 LB. I landed a 40 pound Nookie using a Curado 200 E-7 with 15 LB Izorline main and 12 LB Izorline leader. I should have been way under gunned but the rod really did all the work. P.S. that was fishing the Lewis from shore and luckily the fish co-operated.
bigfishaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
lastdrift
Chromer

Kilchis is a small river with low flows, i have never used more than 3/4oz drift fishing, most of the time right around 1/2oz or less. I am not sure a heavier rod would do you much good, if you get a ****** off 30lb nook heading for a log jam not much you can do and your line/leader is the weak point anyhow not the rod. loomis 1025 with 17lb line sounds about right for coastal river nooks, i would try the 1165 also, its got a ton of backbone, i run mine with 20lb line no problem.
lastdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #18
hooksetter1
Tuna!

Another vote for the G-1310
Old 12-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #19
Bigworm
Chromer

There is really no need to use light line for chinook. Never met any that were line shy. I use 20-25lb mainline and 40lb leader. Those suckas got some leader fraying teeth!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
roosevelt
King Salmon

[quote=DylanG;3929802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post

i have had both, gl2 will be fine, imx would be worth the cost if you could wing it. i remember lots of days fishing baits of eggs and no weight with my gl2, it casted good. the imx is just.....well...a really nice rod i didn't realize they no longer made the gl3 in that model. i would not put a 7000 c3 on it. a 5500,01 or better yet for a drift rod, a curado 300,01 they are extremely versatile rods, caught a bunch of steelhead on mine, trolled and drift fished, threw spinners for chinooks, caught lots of halibut, up to 240lbs. used to even like it for bobber fishing springers.....i think i may get one tooi sold all of my loomis rods but have not found a rod to fill the 1021's niche.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
69scout
Sturgeon

North Fork Composite 9' 8-17 lb rating. One of the best drift rod that I own. Got plenty of power, light and very sensitive.
Might be a bit on the spendy side but it is well worth the Benjamins...
Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
Blktlslyr79
Coho

+1 on the Revo

BTS

OSU - ΘX
C900 fanatic
Blktlslyr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #23
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
There is really no need to use light line for chinook. Never met any that were line shy. I use 20-25lb mainline and 40lb leader. Those suckas got some leader fraying teeth!
Gotta disagree. Down here we drift fish Kings just like you would Steelhead and like Steelies there are times where the heavier lines won't even get a sniff.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #24
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Drifter View Post
Gotta disagree. Down here we drift fish Kings just like you would Steelhead and like Steelies there are times where the heavier lines won't even get a sniff.
I would venture to say that where your at is not typical salmon drift fishing if your only using 10 or 12 lb test. I am not criticizing your method of drift fishing but in most of the rivers I fish, 10 or 12 for fall kings would most likely break on the hookset, or theres not enough room to play a fish out that long. Most likely that close to the salt I would be using 20(depending on water conditions) for fall chinook, and no less than 15.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifterman View Post
I would venture to say that where your at is not typical salmon drift fishing if your only using 10 or 12 lb test. I am not criticizing your method of drift fishing but in most of the rivers I fish, 10 or 12 for fall kings would most likely break on the hookset, or theres not enough room to play a fish out that long. Most likely that close to the salt I would be using 20(depending on water conditions) for fall chinook, and no less than 15.
You're right...our rivers are often low and clear since they send all of our water to Southern CA, so it's definitely not typical Salmon drift fishing. We're also a ways from the salt so while we do get plenty of chromers they are not fresh from the salt on the last tide. We have a lot of good holes on long gravel bars so plenty of room to play the fish. So I agree with you my method is definitely not for everyone and I am just in it for fun so going light works for me.

Last edited by Nor Cal Drifter; 12-17-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Nor Cal Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #26
Pacific Fisher
Steelhead

Lots of good rod recommendations.
C urado 300 or 301 E series would match up perform well and last a long time.

Craig Bell

Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 12-17-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Pacific Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #27
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
You're right...our rivers are often low and clear since they send all of our water to Southern CA, so it's definitely not typical Salmon drift fishing. We're also a ways from the salt so while we do get plenty of chromers they are not fresh from the salt on the last tide. We have a lot of good holes on long gravel bars so plenty of room to play the fish. So I agree with you my method is definitely not for everyone and I am just in it for fun so going light works for me.
I've fished gin clear low water with 40lb test and just hammered the fish on bobber and eggs. Now last year is when I started believing they really dont care. Before I was using 15-20lb but I was breaking off a lot of big fish. Why does everyone use 40-50lb test in the salt then switch to 15lb test upriver?? Do they suddenly realize what fishing line is? I think if there's a big blob of smelly bait in their face they will bit regardless.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #28
alwaysfishing
Sturgeon

lami cert pro X 90 HC or X 86 MTC for the G1000 series a G1314 T or G1342 T

for reel I agree with stated above curado 300 or 301
alwaysfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #29
reelwomenfish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifterman View Post
...and I just purchased a new to me lami kenai king I havnt seen yet for drifting...
I have this rod and absolutely love it!
reelwomenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #30
jwright
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysfishing View Post
lami cert pro X 90 HC or X 86 MTC for the G1000 series a G1314 T or G1342 T

for reel I agree with stated above curado 300 or 301
I Agree!
jwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #31
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelwomenfish View Post
I have this rod and absolutely love it!
Oh good im glad to hear that. I looked them up and it seems to be just what ive been looking for in terms of a heavy drift rod. Besides I couldnt beat the price...
Old 12-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #32
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I've fished gin clear low water with 40lb test and just hammered the fish on bobber and eggs. Now last year is when I started believing they really dont care. Before I was using 15-20lb but I was breaking off a lot of big fish. Why does everyone use 40-50lb test in the salt then switch to 15lb test upriver?? Do they suddenly realize what fishing line is? I think if there's a big blob of smelly bait in their face they will bit regardless.
Bobber and eggs is difffernt - your bobber gives you the natural drift you want. The original post was about a drift fishing rod. Try drift fishing that same glob of eggs with 40 lb test. Curious how you broke off so many fish on 15-20? Drag may be too tight. Only fish I lost last year either came unbuttoned or straightened the hook and I was fishing 12 lb UG.

Last edited by Nor Cal Drifter; 12-17-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Nor Cal Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #33
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Bobber and eggs is difffernt - your bobber gives you the natural drift you want. The original post was about a drift fishing rod. Try drift fishing that same glob of eggs with 40 lb test. Curious how you broke off so many fish on 15-20? Drag may be too tight. Only fish I lost last year either came unbuttoned or straightened the hook and I was fishing 12 lb UG.
I usually drift fish with either 30lb CXX or 40lb Big Game. Big Fall chinook have some wicked teeth. Wish I would have taken pics of my 40lb leaders after fighting just one 25-40lb fish. Frayed to heck!! Bobber fishing I'm using a MEAT stick. Drift fishing I'm using a Lami 10-20lb. Lots of sharp ledges and sharp teeth. I use 12-15 on steelhead, not chinook. Ask the guides what size line they are using on fallies. I would doubt anything under 20lb test.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #34
skunked again
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
Lots of good rod recommendations.
C urado 300 or 301 E series would match up perform well and last a long time.
For my bobber/backbouncce setups here in AK and Tillamook, I have gone to curados. A couple friends use them as well and we have all had great success with them. I especially like the older model...301 DSV. The grey bodied ones. Been running 30lb braid and love it. Oh ya they are on SAR1084C's except the bouncers...they are on the BBR964C's.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #35
plumb2fish
Chromer

I have the GL3 1025 C and I really like to drift fish for fall fish with it. I usually run 15lb main line and depending on flow may use up to 20lb chameleon for leader.
This rod has great sensitivity and plenty of power for small water IMO...also works extremely well for high water nate steelhead....
I have had my tail kicked by fish more than once, however, I don't think using a "bigger stick" would have done anything except pulled a hook or broke my leader...
I like a low profile reel instead of a "round" one for drift fishing
plumb2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #36
hooksetter1
Tuna!

Quote:
I usually drift fish with either 30lb CXX or 40lb Big Game. Big Fall chinook have some wicked teeth. Wish I would have taken pics of my 40lb leaders after fighting just one 25-40lb fish. Frayed to heck!! Bobber fishing I'm using a MEAT stick. Drift fishing I'm using a Lami 10-20lb. Lots of sharp ledges and sharp teeth. I use 12-15 on steelhead, not chinook. Ask the guides what size line they are using on fallies. I would doubt anything under 20lb test.

Bigworm, Northern California is a different fishery than most and light leaders are the standard there. Call up JD Richey or any other NC guide and they can explain, as Nor Cal Drifter has.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #37
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooksetter1 View Post
Bigworm, Northern California is a different fishery than most and light leaders are the standard there. Call up JD Richey or any other NC guide and they can explain, as Nor Cal Drifter has.
Ok. Up here in Oregon it's a different fishery than Northern California. Are they a different species of salmon in N. Cal then we have here in Oregon?
Old 12-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #38
bigfish33
Steelhead

Are the Mag Taper rods any good for drifting?

Tight Lines
bigfish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #39
Native Fisher
King Salmon

Quote:
Ok. Up here in Oregon it's a different fishery than Northern California. Are they a different species of salmon in N. Cal then we have here in Oregon?
I watched plumb2fish bring in about a 15lb silver on 8lb flurocarbon

I think the difference is norcal drifter is drift fishing the bait, and is probably getting the hookset right in the snout or corner of the jaw where the teeth won't rub on the line so much. Almost every fish I catch bobber fishing for fall chinook has inhaled the bait and I'm sticking the hook around the tongue or well inside the roof of the mouth.
Native Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #40
hooksetter1
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish33 View Post
Yes!
Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #41
Drifterman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish33 View Post
I have two and I love them both. One is a 1313 8-17 spinning rod, the other is a 10-20 cert pro. The spinning outfit seems to get heavy after awhile, but lots of power and good sensitivity. The cert pro is awsome in just about every catagory. Its very light, sensitive, and plenty of power. If I had to have one salmon steelhead rod for every river I fish and every way I fish, this would be the one. Now I just need to find a curado 300 d, and it would be the near perfect setup.

Last edited by Drifterman; 12-18-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #42
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Same species, maybe a little smaller avg size. Biggest I've landed on my 8-17 rod with 12 lb test is 38 lbs. You can pull alot harder on 12 lb Ultragreen than most people realize. In terms of abrasion resistance and fish teeth, I'm using Maxima Ultragreen - 'nuff said. Bottom line...there is more than one way to do something.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 AM   #43
Bigworm
Chromer

Quote:
Same species, maybe a little smaller avg size. Biggest I've landed on my 8-17 rod with 12 lb test is 38 lbs. You can pull alot harder on 12 lb Ultragreen than most people realize. In terms of abrasion resistance and fish teeth, I'm using Maxima Ultragreen - 'nuff said. Bottom line...there is more than one way to do something.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #44
NorCalSalmonSlayer
Steelhead

Quote:
Agreed. Out of me and 2 other buddies we only had a 20lb'er, 23lb'er , and 27 lb'er out of probably 100 fish caught between the 3 of us. The average chinook I was catching was around 8-10 lbs, and we probably got 10 around 15 lbs. I'm going to try switching to a lighter rod and 15 lb ultragreen for drifting this season. Heck if you fish anything bigger than 12lb on the trinity people look at you like you're crazy. I think 15-20 is good for the sac because you're pulling chinook such a strong current and the average fish is usually pretty good, with the exception of this season of jacks. But back to my point, if you want a new drift fishing rod think about how much weight your going to casting for where you usually fish, take into consideration the size of the fish your going after when looking at the mainline ratings and make a decision on that. IMO if you have your drag set right you could land just about any salmon you can hook into with a 15-20 mainline.

Last edited by NorCalSalmonSlayer; 12-18-2011 at 11:34 AM.
NorCalSalmonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #45
DylanG
Chromer

Thanks a lot everybody for the advice, I ended up buying a G-Loomis HSR 1021c rated 10-20lbs 8'6''. I am very happy with this purchase, although still looking for a reel. Felt the curaods today at my tackle shop, thinking about picking up a 300e then slapping a power handle on it or maybe just getting an abu 5600 c4, but still not given up the idea of maybe getting a calcutta 400b if I can find one at a good price. Very undecided at the moment.

Will post a pic when I actually land something with this rod.

Dylan
Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #46
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Thanks a lot everybody for the advice, I ended up buying a G-Loomis HSR 1021c rated 10-20lbs 8'6''. I am very happy with this purchase, although still looking for a reel. Felt the curaods today at my tackle shop, thinking about picking up a 300e then slapping a power handle on it or maybe just getting an abu 5600 c4, but still not given up the idea of maybe getting a calcutta 400b if I can find one at a good price. Very undecided at the moment.

Will post a pic when I actually land something with this rod.

Dylan
Did you get IMX?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #47
Lcdrifter
Cutthroat

The HSR1021C IMX paired with the CU301E makes a pretty sweet combo.
Lcdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #48
DylanG
Chromer

Did not spring for the IMX, went for the GL2. The guy at my tackle gave me a deal on the rod so it made sense to get it. Besides I spoke with a sales representative for G loomis on the phone and was not very impressed about what he had to say about the IMX rods.