super glue on dog cut ? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
cascaderosey
Tuna!

Default super glue on dog cut ?

I just got home from hunting about an hour ago and the wife is freaking out . The dog has a cut on her side . It's not bleeding but is open up about size of a quarter . Not that deep . If i had don it at work i would prolly duct tape it and go on about my business . It's on her ribs a little past half way back on body . Question , is there any reason i cannot close this with super glue as if it was myself at elk camp ? Don't flame me I had plenty o money for vet bills before the housing market went in the crapper . I know i should run her to the doggy ER but it is not possible right now .

cascaderosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Nunez
Steelhead

Default Re: super glue on dog cut ?

I can understand your feeling of not wanting to rush to the vet to pay him 80 dollars to see the dog, 70 dollars for a 1/4 inch gauze pad, and 50 dollars for a bandaid. I put super glue on my cuts, and the ORIGINAL invention of super glue was for medical purposes so I would say clean it, super glue it, and watch for redness in the coming days.
Nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
KingSlew
Ifish Nate

The main thing is to keep it clean and dry. It will heal from the inside out, even if you don't stich it or glue it. I use super glue on myself all the time and that's what the ER surgeons use too, on smaller cuts.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Do not close up a wound that is not thoroughly clean. An epsom salt solution in a squirt bottle works pretty good. Use clippers to shave the area around the wound so you can see to work. If there isn't an open flap of skin, it may be better to leave it open?
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

I have heard a lot of guy's talk about super glueing a cut on their dog. I just clean it and swab some cut hear on it. Cut heal will help it heal from the inside out.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

The problem with superglue is it lacks the ability to form an adequate scablike top layer that will hold the wound together. Dermabond has a thicker consistency which makes a tough latex like scab over the wound keeping it closed by adhering skin farther away. If you do choose to superglue it, wash it out well first, shave an area 1inch around the cut, dry everything very well, apply the glue to the approximated wound edges, then reinforce with butterfly bandages with a touch of superglue along the outside edges of the butterfly pads. This will act like steristrips and reinforce the wound from coming apart. Let the whole thing fall off on it's own and get an E-collar to keep the dog from chewing on the itchy healing wound. If it gets red, oozes pus, or becomes very tender or swollen, get it to the vet right away since an infection may have occured.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Oregon-Jet
Tuna!

I have done this before on my dog while in the wilderness. Don't close it completely so it can weep a little, and make sure not to get the hair around the wound in it.
Oregon-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunez View Post
I can understand your feeling of not wanting to rush to the vet to pay him 80 dollars to see the dog, 70 dollars for a 1/4 inch gauze pad, and 50 dollars for a bandaid. I put super glue on my cuts, and the ORIGINAL invention of super glue was for medical purposes so I would say clean it, super glue it, and watch for redness in the coming days.
I agree. Just be careful not to glue your own fingers (or eyelids, or lips together in the process of trying to hit a moving dog target

It was developed for closing wounds. I'd clean it really well with some antibacterial soap and water, then maybe some betadine and see if you can close it with super glue.

One of my granddaughters got a cut on her forehead. We took her to urgent care and they closed it with glue
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
The problem with superglue is it lacks the ability to form an adequate scablike top layer that will hold the wound together. Dermabond has a thicker consistency which makes a tough latex like scab over the wound keeping it closed by adhering skin farther away. If you do choose to superglue it, wash it out well first, shave an area 1inch around the cut, dry everything very well, apply the glue to the approximated wound edges, then reinforce with butterfly bandages with a touch of superglue along the outside edges of the butterfly pads. This will act like steristrips and reinforce the wound from coming apart. Let the whole thing fall off on it's own and get an E-collar to keep the dog from chewing on the itchy healing wound. If it gets red, oozes pus, or becomes very tender or swollen, get it to the vet right away since an infection may have occured.
Very good post. This is how I have done it before. Two tips. Use the glue on the butterflies too, makes them stick better. And if the dog won't leave it alone install The Cone Of Shame.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
cascaderosey
Tuna!

Thanks for the thoughts . I closed it up last night . She licked at it once or twice but has not really bothered with it to much overall. I am going to shave a bigger area around the cut today so i can keep a better eye out for swelling or redness . She has been carry on without missing a beet , like she is completely normal . I now just wish i could Id whatever it is that she got cut on in the first place . I'll walk the yard again in the daylight .
cascaderosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
SecondSeason
Tuna!

i carry it in my truck for field side fixing. I have even closed up a wound before it got dirty and kept hunting through the week.

2 things to worry about, dirty wounds never close always leave a small opening to allow dripping or seeping. super glue is the same thing they use in the OR except it cost way less and isn't steirle. Next time carry it with you close it up and keep hunting.

SS
SecondSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Don't forget EMT Gel. This is probably better for cuts in places other than the feet. It isn't very durable but it's really good stuff.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
chukardave1
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Don't forget EMT Gel. This is probably better for cuts in places other than the feet. It isn't very durable but it's really good stuff.
Used it on myself and my dog many times. Carry it in my vest on every trip.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Hotshot's 4 me!!!
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascaderosey View Post
Thanks for the thoughts . I closed it up last night . She licked at it once or twice but has not really bothered with it to much overall. I am going to shave a bigger area around the cut today so i can keep a better eye out for swelling or redness . She has been carry on without missing a beet , like she is completely normal . I now just wish i could Id whatever it is that she got cut on in the first place . I'll walk the yard again in the daylight .

My doberman has got 2 nice cuts in years past... super glue works awesome.... it was invinited for heart surgery so it has to be good for the mut.
Hotshot's 4 me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
erich541
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascaderosey View Post
I just got home from hunting about an hour ago and the wife is freaking out . The dog has a cut on her side . It's not bleeding but is open up about size of a quarter . Not that deep . If i had don it at work i would prolly duct tape it and go on about my business . It's on her ribs a little past half way back on body . Question , is there any reason i cannot close this with super glue as if it was myself at elk camp ? Don't flame me I had plenty o money for vet bills before the housing market went in the crapper . I know i should run her to the doggy ER but it is not possible right now .
After a 2K dollar bill at the Dog ER the other day it is nice to hear of all the good ideas on how to fix a dog up.vets and ers are very expensive,even though I had to take my GSH the other day and am glad I did.Porter got hit by a car and thought I was gonna losse my 16 week old pup.But he his doing fine now.
erich541 is offline   Reply With Quote