school for hatchery technician? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
native steelie
Ifish Nate

Default school for hatchery technician?

so i decided this year that my goal was to go back to school and finish my major in biology. i was wondering if anyone had knowledge whether or not a degree in biology would suffice for a position as a hatchery technician. if not then what other courses would be needed or what schools in oregon have this course. there were many reasons as to why i stopped persuing my goals and now the stars have realigned them self for me to give it another go. this time i want to finish what i started come hell or high water

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
12pulls
King Salmon

Default Re: school for hatchery technician?

Quote:
Originally Posted by native steelie View Post
so i decided this year that my goal was to go back to school and finish my major in biology. i was wondering if anyone had knowledge whether or not a degree in biology would suffice for a position as a hatchery technician. if not then what other courses would be needed or what schools in oregon have this course. there were many reasons as to why i stopped persuing my goals and now the stars have realigned them self for me to give it another go. this time i want to finish what i started come hell or high water
Mount Hood Community College offers a hatchery tech program

http://www.mhcc.edu/Fisheries.aspx
12pulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
native steelie
Ifish Nate

im definitely going to look into that. first i need to get my pre req's out of the way and see about the transferability. im still a ways out but id like to get everything lined up.

any other information is much appriciated
Old 11-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
FishBranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by native steelie View Post
im definitely going to look into that. first i need to get my pre req's out of the way and see about the transferability. im still a ways out but id like to get everything lined up.

any other information is much appriciated
Better to finish BS in Biology, Oregon hatchery tech jobs pay next to nothing, better to go be a biologist or a hatchery tech for feds or some other state, or native organization.
FishBranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
boilerbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBranch View Post
Better to finish BS in Biology, Oregon hatchery tech jobs pay next to nothing, better to go be a biologist or a hatchery tech for feds or some other state, or native organization.
Have to echo that. The techs I've seen get paid next to nothing but they are overseen by biologists who seem to drive better cars
boilerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
sandyriversteel
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerbay View Post
Have to echo that. The techs I've seen get paid next to nothing but they are overseen by biologists who seem to drive better cars
Well yes while they don't make a ton of money, they get their bennies another way. I have had 3 friends go through that program at mhcc. After a one year internship , they all got hired right away. All those houses on hatchery property are their along with the stipend to live there for next to nothing. Their rent is something stupid, like 100$ a month. Along with any state qor federal job, the benefits ie medical, dental, 401, all that are kick ass! Just something to think about. Btw let me know if you want more info, my mom works in admissions and send me a pm if you want any more info. Good luck.
Chris

On a side note, I personally rather have a job I love not making a ton a money over a job I make a ton, but hate going to work everyday .
sandyriversteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
deerbeware
Coho

I would agree with some of the others about the pay for those jobs. I started out in the F&W jobs and had time to hunt and fish but barely enough money to pay the bills. Yes the bennies are decient but 11 or $12 an hour is barely enough get by these days. They are fun jobs for a little bit of time but not having much money just makes it hard to go enjoy the outdoors. Hunting and fishing is a expensive addiction.
deerbeware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
native steelie
Ifish Nate

ya i can understand where you guys are coming at about the pay. consider this. i already make less now then what these jobs are offering and work 10x harder. my current job is very physical and with my back injury over a year ago thats now getting any better helps makes my descision that much easier. all day i grade, sort, carry and stack lumber ranging from 9" to 28' long more or less in the later of the ranges of length. while i have learned the right techniques over the last 2 years its still quite enduring and im completely exhausted at the end of every day to the point that when i get home all i want to do is lay down and it puts a toll on me that i have to drag myself out of the house on the weekends because im still recuperating from the previous work week. i dont like this much . at 10.75/hour and endless empty lies of promotions and promises that fall through id rather get out there and do something i like and move up. i've always said its better to learn and move up then get stuck with something you dont understand while your subordinates are walking you through. nothing more i cant stand then a new boss coming in not understanding anything while you're the one with the responsibilities. i've seen this happen more then id like and i dont want to be that guy. starting out at a fishery technician seems to me to be the right start and having a major in biology is a start in the right direction for room to move up, yes, no, maybe? i have one year and 65 credits towards this goal so i see no reason not to finish it.

instead of letting this get off topic here id like to say i really appreciate the information and im looking into all of it. MHCC isnt too far it's only a hour drive. i used to work in bend everyday and commuted as far as lapine from madras every day. but being on such a low income commuting might take its toll. what kind of housing is around that area? im not really looking into living on campus as a fyi.

the ducks are starting to line up
Old 11-18-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Twitch
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbranch View Post
better to finish bs in biology, oregon hatchery tech jobs pay next to nothing, better to go be a biologist or a hatchery tech for feds or some other state, or native organization.
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
jckisutch
Steelhead

Mt.Hood Comm. College is the best for obtaining an AS Degree in Fisheries Technologies. The program is literally half book & lab work, & the other half is is hands on. Electro-fishing, trap-net setting & pulling, all kinds of stuff. It's a very tough program- start of first year we had 35 people in the class. Start of second year we were down to 15. Of that 15, 7 of us actually graduated. You will learn everything from developing & managing broodstocks- to hands on liberation of trout you've reared in the hatchery all second year. Incredible program with an excellent instructor- Todd Hanna. The industry is a mess at present, however with this degree, you can work for the local water agency, Parks Dept, all kinds of places you can take tgis degree. Good luck whatever you decide.
jckisutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Fish School
Steelhead

I go there right now and it's an amazing program! From field trips to guest speakers there is always something outside of the book work. Yes a bio degree is going to bring home the bacon, it is not need to get a job as a tech. Mt.hood is the only place in the state that has a fisheries program. Yes Oregon state has stuff it's not the same. Talk with Todd Hanna he has been there teaching 14 years.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Hawgbuster
Steelhead

One will always regret not getting the Biology degree and the extra doors it opens. The cheap rent on housing may feel like a benefit, but when one retires, where do you live. Rent is always a lost investment. Get a degree from OSU, buy your own house, make more money.

And for working at the hatchery, the spawning salmon on freezing days, lifting feed sacks, scrubing ponds, and dealing with the public is not always fun, especially over the years. Get a degree and manage the hatchery, fisheries, research, etc, and get the rewards finiacially too.
Hawgbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
lucasmorter
Chromer

i have a pamphlet about the hatchery teck program at mhcc, i went to school there and was gonna take this class. if you want this little booklet pm me your address and i will mail it to ya
Old 11-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
eat, sleep, fish
Tuna!

Consider getting your fisheries and wildlife degree through OSU. They even offer it through their Ecampus so you can take all of the classes online.

I got burnt out during my initial stint, but have just re-enrolled through ecampus to finish up the last 50 credits for my degree. There's also lots of financial aid available for your income level. Just be sure to send in your Fasfa before February.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #15
ClearCreek
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgbuster View Post
One will always regret not getting the Biology degree and the extra doors it opens. The cheap rent on housing may feel like a benefit, but when one retires, where do you live. Rent is always a lost investment. Get a degree from OSU, buy your own house, make more money.

And for working at the hatchery, the spawning salmon on freezing days, lifting feed sacks, scrubing ponds, and dealing with the public is not always fun, especially over the years. Get a degree and manage the hatchery, fisheries, research, etc, and get the rewards finiacially too.
I would advise you to take Hawgbuster's advice very serious, esp. the last sentence. My guess is he has been there and knows what he is talking about!!!

ClearCreek
ClearCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #16
triggergk
Steelhead

I looked into this not too long ago and I do believe that Hood River CC also has a fisheries program. Just another option.
triggergk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
billjr64
Sturgeon

Go for broke native steelie, finish that degree and start your own business. Way more money than working at a fish factory, pm me how I know if you`d like. Bill
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #18
SandyRiverFisher
Ifish Nate

Finish the biology degree. You can do it in Bend.
SandyRiverFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #19
Dead Drift
Steelhead

I graduated from MHCC Fisheries program in 1988. It was and I'd assume still is a very reputable program. I never worked at a hatchery after graduating with my Associates degree, but I did manage to work for ODFW and US forest Service as a Fisheries Tech & Biologist Aide for 8 years before voluntarily changing careers and becoming a full time fishing guide (it's a long story that involves an ex in Oregon and a college buddy in Alaska ). I don't regret my decision to pursue the MHCC program or leave the career and try something new. I do miss the stable employment and benefits but I don't mind working as my own boss.
The MHCC program is a good way to get your foot in the door, and like any industry, it is up to you to make of it what you can.
Good luck on whatever path you choose.

DD
Dead Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
lucasmorter
Chromer

isnt MHCC the only one in oregon with its own on campus hatchery? there is a trout pond in the school parking lot too that is open for kids only half the year. pretty cool program from the looks of it.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
native steelie
Ifish Nate

for those of you that have attended the mhcc class for the fishery technician job. do you have any available numbers of the cost of the courses. also where did you stay during your time at the school? right now im of course enrolled into osu cascades and COCC to get my remaining pre reqs out of the way. apparently if your out of school for a certain amount of time you have to do them again and i just passed the deadline
Old 11-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
KingFisher85
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pulls View Post
Mount Hood Community College offers a hatchery tech program

http://www.mhcc.edu/Fisheries.aspx

KingFisher85 is offline   Reply With Quote