Recharging Battery With Outboard Engine To Run TR1 Gold - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Fourteen
Tuna!

Default Recharging Battery With Outboard Engine To Run TR1 Gold

I have technical question about recharging the battery and / or batteries in my boat with my Honda 4 stroke 115 hp . I have 2 with a switch .

I have a Tr1 Gold Auto Pilot and would like to be able to use it more than one day when I am fishing away from any outlets . My question is will my outboard recharge the battery to enable me to get another 7-8 hrs. to run my TR1 a second day ? If so how long will I have to run my 115 Honda engine to get a full charge ? Do I have to run my boat up on plain ? If the 115 is able to recharge my battery / batteries could I just leave it in neutral while I am trolling & using the TR1 ? I also have an 8 HP Honda trolling motor that has a trickle charge when I am running the TR1 . Thanks for any help .

Last edited by Fourteen; 11-11-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Fourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
flatman
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Recharging Battery With Outboard Engine To Run TR1 Gold

best i can guess is that my 115 merc puts out about 7 amps when up towards cruising speed. and my t8 yam about a little less when going full speed.

it seems they dont put out any significant charging i can tell until they get over 1500 or so.

or get a small 1000 honda or yam generator and run it with a 30 amp smart charger for awhile while you are doing nothing on shore.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
tlc2

a 10 min run on that honda should refresh the batteries.. they have an alternator and it puts out 50a at 4500 and 30@1000 rpm... the tr1 only draws about 7 a on average. 17 peak.. with dual batteries and a charging kicker if it wont last more than a day you have issues...
tlc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
BrassMonkey
Chromer

Set a Low Voltage Alarm on your fish finder, once the alarm goes off its time to idle your 115 for 10-15 minutes.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
ripnlips1
Steelhead

Is your T8 electric start or manual pull start? If its an electric start T8 it will put out 6-8 amps. look at which battery the T8 is connected to and use that battery as your primary and the second one as your back up.
ripnlips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
tlc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnlips1 View Post
Is your T8 electric start or manual pull start? If its an electric start T8 it will put out 6-8 amps. look at which battery the T8 is connected to and use that battery as your primary and the second one as your back up.

A PROPERLY installed battery switch would have the T 8 wired to the COMMON line and thus will charge what ever battery or batteries are turned on.... if they arent wired that way the switch is NULL and your boat doesnt technically meet USCG electrical requirements...

ABOVE 800 CA the electrical system is required to have a shut off switch that can turn off the entire electrical system when selected to the off selection save for fused automatic bilge pump float switch and or relay. or other safety systems to save the vessel from damage.. if a charge lead is bypassing the switch then the full capacity of the batteries could potentially be shorted to ground if that lead were to fault to ground. and with the lines being the size they are without protection fire will ensue.. the switch is there for overcurrent protection not just convienence.

Last edited by tlc2; 11-15-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
MacEFL
Tuna!

Re-read Fourteens post. He has a Honda four stroke 8HP. Not a T-8.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
sandrail001
Tuna!

I have a TR-1 Gold on my boat. My kicker is a 9.9 electric start/tilt honda. I ran mine this last Sept for 20+ days with out any issues. This includes running all my electronics, marine radio, ect. ( I also have dual batteries.) I actually left my TR-1 ON for 10 days between fishing trips, batteries were low but started both motors just fine. IMO the TR-1 does not draw enough power to drain your batteries, specially since your kicker has charging capabilities.

ON my intruder I have two KC style lights and the charging system on the honda 9.9 (manual start and tilt) actually keeps up for 30 min period while I am running in a no wake zone. On this boat I only have a single battery. I am very happy with the Hondas.

I feel you should have no issues unless you have two week batteries and or a draw else where.
sandrail001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
tlc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEFL View Post
Re-read Fourteens post. He has a Honda four stroke 8HP. Not a T-8.
does not change wiring or anything ive said, hell it could be a eska or homelite the info doesnt change with brnd... ok so we all confused 2 motors... but the info given does not change