Plunking with herring? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Waterfrontfish
Steelhead

Default Plunking with herring?

I really enjoy plunking in addition to my other bank and wade fishing pursuits. I usually use Spin n Glo's with coon shrimp for my terminal gear but wonder if there is any reason why I couldn't plunk a cut plug herring into the current. I know it's not trolling, but if I can throw it out far enough do you think I might have any luck? Anyone tried it? Thanx, Be Well and Fish On! Mark.

Waterfrontfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
ThunderToad
Tuna!

Default Re: Plunking with herring?

I'm all for trying new things, what have you got to lose for trying it? I never tried to plunk cut plug herring however, I have been plunking spin n glos tipped with a green label herring filets. I do this in tidewater on the coast during outgoing tide. All I've caught this way so far is mudcats.
ThunderToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
K7drifter
Steelhead

You'll probably need a pretty large spin n glo to keep the whole thing off the bottom, but if you can make it work, I bet you'll slay em
Old 10-19-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
jonn5335
Tuna!

I do it in the spring run use a long drift bobber in the middle of a long leader 4-5ft or so and a blue dyed and cured herring on a mooching rig
Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
SpinGlo68
Chromer

I have also pondered this thought.I think a SnG might defeat the purpose of a plug cut but who knows.I have also heard of guys plunking herring behind a bobber just like they do for wobblers.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #6
SpinGlo68
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonn5335 View Post
I do it in the spring run use a long drift bobber in the middle of a long leader 4-5ft or so and a blue dyed and cured herring on a mooching rig
How has that worked for you?How do ya get it out there?Cast?Im wondering...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
FatRap
Steelhead

I used to plunk quite for a bit springers and still do occasionally now that I have my reeders back but plunking cut plug herring was pretty standard for me. Works very well with no adverse effects on herring roll. I would use a #0 or #2 with a standard two hook set-up, two beads between the hooks and glo....
FatRap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
HereDuckyDucky
Tuna!

Fellas on Icicle Creek, near Leavenworth, use whole herring behind a SNG. Works great.

RW
HereDuckyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Waterfrontfish
Steelhead

I'm thinking no Spin n Glo, and just a single plug cut herring on a mooching rig with about 4 feet of leader and 8 ounces of lead.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Finaddict91
Tuna!

I killed a lot of fish on hook with a SNG above a cut plug....
Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #11
K-sigfish
Chromer

If you are willing to do a little fabrication, below is a method that has out produced SNG's by far both from boat and bank for me. I think herring work better on there own than with a SNG in front. Also wine corks hold a tremendous amount of scent and provide more bouyancy than SNG's allowing for bigger baits and a more natural presentation.

step one: drill a small hole length wise through a wine cork (for fast current or large baits use two corks)

step two: tie a bobber stop knot about 18 inches above the herring and slide a bead on the leader above the knot.

step three: slide the cork down the leader to bump up against bead and knot and slide another bead down above the cork followed by another bobber stop.

step four: adjust the cork to desired distance (I like 10"-18") above the bait and slather with your favorite oily scent.

Step five: rig brined cut plug (Brine helps keep them tough to survive casting) and lob cast into position.

step six: SLAY SOME SALMON!!
K-sigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
K-sigfish
Chromer

If you are willing to do a little fabrication, below is a method that has out produced SNG's by far both from boat and bank for me. I think herring work better on there own than with a SNG in front. Also wine corks hold a tremendous amount of scent and provide more bouyancy than SNG's allowing for bigger baits and a more natural presentation.

step one: drill a small hole length wise through a wine cork (for fast current or large baits use two corks)

step two: tie a bobber stop knot about 18 inches above the herring and slide a bead on the leader above the knot.

step three: slide the cork down the leader to bump up against bead and knot and slide another bead down above the cork followed by another bobber stop.

step four: adjust the cork to desired distance (I like 10"-18") above the bait and slather with your favorite oily scent.

Step five: rig brined cut plug (Brine helps keep them tough to survive casting) and lob cast into position.

step six: SLAY SOME SALMON!!
K-sigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
builder
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonn5335 View Post
We did pretty much the same thing when I was a kid out by Fort Stevens for fall fish. We never had any lights out days but we would get a few fish, we caught both coho and chinook on that set up.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Wreckless
King Salmon

In my experience a whole bait works better than a cut-plug.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Doublelung
Tuna!

Never tried it, but it seems like a good idea. Something similar to a wobbler setup is what I was thinking.

Three way swivel, two foot dropper, five foot leader with a barrel swivel at about three feet and a large bobber below that to keep it off the bottom.

I think I'll give it a go at some point.
Doublelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
fishorcroak
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
We did pretty much the same thing when I was a kid out by Fort Stevens for fall fish. We never had any lights out days but we would get a few fish, we caught both coho and chinook on that set up.
So did I. Used to slay coho using this method come September. Never caught any nooks doing this. I always figured it was b/c we wern't out far (deep) enough.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
native steelie
Ifish Nate

caught my very first springer ever plunking a herring using this style of rigging
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=240014
do it every spring and works great
Old 10-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
novice
Chromer

FBR anyone.........
novice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
Doublelung
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by native steelie View Post
caught my very first springer ever plunking a herring using this style of rigging
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=240014
do it every spring and works great
Forgot about that post. Great post, thanks for linking to it.
Doublelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
Waterfrontfish
Steelhead

Wow, some great tips Ifishers! That link to the old post on baiting a whole small herring was great and I'm definitely going to try out the "wine cork" float trick. Can't wait to try these methods out. Plunking's been slow lately on the CR, but will report back with results. Thanks again, Be Well and Fish On! Mark.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #21
Fishing-Fool
Steelhead

Another vote for the whole enchilada....I like anchovies with a helmet called the anchovy special...we have also used the spin n glo by hollowing out the back of it and inserting the head to the body of the spin n glo then insert toothpick to keep it in place. What you need is to eliminate the lower jaw so it doesn't blow out and ruin your spin. Works extremely well!!
Fishing-Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #22
SpinGlo68
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishing-Fool View Post
Another vote for the whole enchilada....I like anchovies with a helmet called the anchovy special...we have also used the spin n glo by hollowing out the back of it and inserting the head to the body of the spin n glo then insert toothpick to keep it in place. What you need is to eliminate the lower jaw so it doesn't blow out and ruin your spin. Works extremely well!!
Wow..thats sounds like a fish killer for sure...So basically the glo is spinning the 'chovie right.The cork idea sounds good too..!