Prayers- - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Angler's Chapel

Old 10-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Default Prayers-

My dog Kilchis is paralyzed and very ill. They think it is either a tumor (cancer) or a disc problem.

He needs prayer, yes, but I think more than that, I will need it.

I know it's weird to ask for a prayer for a dog, but last night my friend Tammy and I laid hands on him and prayed. It is what it is.

But-- I am so afraid for me. He is my best buddy, and the best friend I've ever had. He is with me at all times. (Yes, even in the girls room!)

He's my best fishing buddy and the friend that I have fished with longer than anyone. Longer, and more often! (Daily!)

He is compassionate, he understands every word I say, and I'm just afraid of my broken heart.

I just feel lost. Surgery would be expensive, and he is 10 years old. I kind of think that it's time to let him go, but Bill insists on surgery. I'm the owner, though, so I have to make the decision.

They will do tests tomorrow to find out if it's cancer or a disc problem.

I just pray that it's something similar and can resolve easily.

But, most of all, I need to prepare my heart for the time that he does go.

He's just a very special friend to me. I've had dogs before, and I can't say any one of them is more special than the other, but for some reason, I'm just so afraid of this one going.

So afraid, and so very sad. I can't quit crying, and he's still here.

Will I be alright? I am honestly scared!

Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
shinnookums
Steelhead

Default Re: Prayers-

Nothing wrong with asking for prayer for a dog. I will pray.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
CGRFish
Chromer

Old 10-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Thanks. I sure appreciate it. I know that people have real concerns here, and this is kinda silly... but I do love my Kilchi-my cute so.

I can't get him off his bed, this morning. It sure is time to make a decision.

J
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Old 10-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
HntnFsh
King Salmon

I will pray Jennie.

I understand how you feel.My brother in law just ahd to put his lab down at 14 years old.What a tough decision to make.To some of us,our dogs are an integral prt of our family.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
letsfish
Ifish Nate

For you and Kilchis
letsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
Critr Gitr
Ifish Nate

Location: Veneta (The Gateway to Elmira) West of The Peoples Republic of Eugene

I read this late last night and woke up this morning with you and Kilchis floating to the top of my prayer list. It is hard seeing them get old and I understand your emotions all too well since I had to say goodbye to my friend of 13 years 2 weeks ago today. We almost lost our other lab 2 months ago but LP surgery has made her a new dog so keep the faith.

HE
will show you how to proceed -- keep the faith.

My wife suggested (after having a good cry for you and Kilchis) you visit the following web site that helped us understand this whole dog/people relationship thing....

http://www.pet-loss.net/index.shtml

Katie Lynn 22' Sea Legend HT
Team Squid Marks
Oregon Master Hunter

Critr Gitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Lou
Ifish Nate

So sad.
Support your Veterans!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Dale Gocken
Steelhead

My dear Jennie,it is OK to pray for your pet, he is not a dog he is your flesh and blood. Marilou and I will pray for God,s will. Four years back i lost my yorkie buddy, the loss put me in the hospital for several days. Yes ,you will feel bad ,and you need God,s help, we will pray for you, we are so sorry,you must try to stay strong for the family, remember ,you have all of us praying for you, and loveing you,,and now, God Bless you and your loved ones, we love you----Dale & Marilou Gocken, Centralia,Wa
Dale Gocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Not good. Kilchis has an invasive, aggressive spinal tumor that is malignant. IT goes right along and inside the spinal column.

I have to put the handsome gentleman down.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennie@ifish View Post
Not good. Kilchis has an invasive, aggressive spinal tumor that is malignant. IT goes right along and inside the spinal column.

I have to put the handsome gentleman down.
So sorry, Jennie. Be somewhat comforted that you gave Kilchis as much love and caring as he gave you. Sounds like he had a very happy life.
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Critr Gitr
Ifish Nate

Location: Veneta (The Gateway to Elmira) West of The Peoples Republic of Eugene

I am so sorry Jennie - from all your writings I would say that you loved Kilchis unconditionally and he in return -- we should all be thankful of the lessons that you and he have helped to teach us.

Praying blessings on your family ... All good things come from the Lord and to Him they shall return.

Job 12:7-10 - "But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind."

Katie Lynn 22' Sea Legend HT
Team Squid Marks
Oregon Master Hunter

Critr Gitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

Old 10-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #14
viigfish
Chromer

You are in my prayers. Our 10 year old lab had something very similar a few months ago. It was a most difficult decision to end his suffering. I still have a hole in my heart. But I know I did the right thing. Remember the good times they will be with you always.

RV
viigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #15
B Run Banker
Tuna!

its never a good ordeal to put down a bud..but you know its the best thing to do..he helped you through some tough times i think .it gets better so next week gather up some pics and get a piece of those pies you make a cup of jo some kleenexes lol its all about the memories now.and most are probly good ,,funny,,ya dont have to remove all the doggie stuff around the place ,it kinda helps, untill that new puppie comes...
B Run Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Lou
Ifish Nate

Support your Veterans!
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
STRUTTIN-1
Sturgeon

I too have been down this road.Much love and prayers to you and yours.I pray for dogs.They are our 4 legged children.Relie once again on the Lords strenth and ask for guidence.

Jen,your heart will ache.It is the price for love.
STRUTTIN-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #18
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Thank you so much, everyone. You have helped me on my way through this difficult time. Kilchis is gone, as of this morning at 9:47.

This one I couldn't be there for. I just couldn't. They gave him a tranquilizer before hand, and when he fell asleep, I left for the end.

I held Revvie and just cried my eyes out. Still am, in fact...

Jen

Old 10-09-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
STRUTTIN-1
Sturgeon

ifish hug.
STRUTTIN-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #20
Finny Business
Tuna!

Soo sorry to hear about your loss Jennie. Our pets are more than pets to most of us. they are unwaivering companions and family. I hope you find solice in all the memories you shared with Kilchis and carry those cherished memories forward.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #21
samiam
Chromer

So sorry Jennie. There was probably never a dog that was loved so much.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
Couch angler
Sturgeon

You are blessed, you have such a multitude of love to hold on to, and that holds you. Sorry for your loss. It hurts.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #23
CGRFish
Chromer

Sorry for your loss Jenny, and praying for you. The pain of putting my best friend down a few years ago was incredible, and I understand where you are. Shed tears of sorrow, but also tears of joy for the great times you had together, the loyalty and faithfulness we we never see in another human... You will get through this..
Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #24
nwsoftball
Chromer

RIP Kilchis!!!

So sorry for your loss Jennie. After my lab passed 7 years ago, our vet gave us a stone that says "Gone, but never forgotten." So very true. You will never forget your friend and some day he'll be there when you join him.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #25
fishsauce
Tuna!

Sorry for your loss Jennie.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
Troutinator
Tuna!

Dear sweet Jennie,

Know that the reason it hurts so bad is because you loved Kilchis so deeply. There are those who get it and those who never will. I feel sorry for those who don't and never will understand that for some of us do get, they are not just pets... just an "animal". I feel your pain... we just had to say goodbye to one of ours after 13 years. And that "animal" was every bit as much a part of our family as my own son is. And after only 3 weeks I can tell you, it does get easier. Does that mean you miss them any less? No. Does that means the hole in your life is any smaller? No. It simply means you begin to learn how to live with God's plan. And I know this my dear, God loves us. And we will see our cherished family members again in that glorious place. I KNOW IT.

You are in our prayers Jen, for a peaceful heart and wonderful memories in place of the pain of loss.

Rob
Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
blacklab
Steelhead

Dear Jennie,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. You are a caring, compassionate and loving person, as any responsible pet owner should be. You must have the heart of an angel. I now that Kilchis was extremely lucky to have an owner as loving and as caring as you were. My labs have been "my girls" to me as I do not have any children of my own. Some people understand that pets have feelings and can give and receive love. You are definitely one who understands this. God bless Kilchis and God bless Jennie.
blacklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #28
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

Jennie I know exactly what you are facing. My 12 year old lab has been fighting bad hips all her life. I prolonged her life with prednisone and pain pills but they were more for me than for her. She would still be at my side if she were here.

I know there isn't a doggy heaven but I do know that Holly is far better off where she is. I grieve for her daily yet I know I did what was right for her. Watching her be in agony for my behalf was selfish. As hard as it is, I know you will make the right decision. I share your grief and heart break. We will pray for peace in your heart.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #29
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Some tough times for many of us. I had to put my Charlie down on Monday. 13 years old and we suspect liver cancer took him. Best dog I've ever had and I miss the heck out of him. Family is numb right now and there is an empty hole in our hearts.

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #30
Pete
Administrator

Bernie, there are few agonies like the loss of a beloved pet. But for some reason, we are very willing to bring a new fur-friend into our lives, even with the knowledge of the pain of loss that comes with their shorter-than-they-should-be lives. The one thing I've learned is that with each new pet, I am a better pet owner. Lessons taught to me by my past dogs help make my current one's life better. I know your next will be great, but one can never replace the last. They are just "the next".

Peace, brother.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #31
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Thanks Pete

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #32
fishin"G"man
Tuna!

Bernie I had to put my Lab down the week of Christmas after 12 years worth of daily love and devotion. It was VERY hard. I'm with you in grieving and hoping you find peace in knowing your best friend is better off and is not suffering.

Sorry for the loss!
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote