Wearing Waders in a Boat - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 12-12-2002, 12:02 PM   #1
tailchaser
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Wearing Waders in a Boat

I wear hip waders, but don't attach them to my belt when I'm in my boat. Just in case you have to jump out and grab the boat next to shore or something. Sometimes I even wear my rubber boots, but rarely waders in the boat. It's a lot more comfortable for one to be in nice rain gear instead.

tc

tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:02 PM   #2
Firedog
Ifish Nate

Like wet williy said it depends on what I plan on doing. If I am drifitng Oxbow to Dabney on the Sandy I wear mine because I will be in and out of the boat for most of the day. I f I am on a river where I can stay in the boat to fish all day I wear rain gear. Mainly because it is more comforable than waders. Like mentioned before if it is a concern than wear a PFD. I always wear mine when going through dificult water anyway.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:04 PM   #3
Ken Drifter
Tuna!

I wear mine when its really really cold. Otherwise I just wear raingear and that keeps me fairly warm.
member #326
North River Mafia "Seahawk Chapter" Powered by Hondas.
"Stupidity can be deadly" Team Shimano & Lamiglas
Ken Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:06 PM   #4
KillerDave
Steelhead

Um...Neoprene waders float. I've taken several unplanned swims in mine while kayaking. I'm glad to have them.

The greatest danger in the winter is the sheer shock of the cold water. When that cold water hits your skin, it takes 5 or 10 seconds just to take a breath. Waders or no waders, if you're not wearing a PFD and you panic, you are in serious trouble.
KillerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 12:12 PM   #5
4Salt
Steelhead

That's another bonus with quality breathable waders, they double as rain gear very well. If you want to get out and wade, you're set. You have so much more mobility in them as well, so even if you did fall in by some chance, swimming in them would be far easier (and safer) than neoprenes, rain gear, or hip boots. IMHO of course. :smile:

[ 12-12-2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: 4Salt ]
Old 12-12-2002, 12:31 PM   #6
SteelieSteve
Tuna!

Always have worn my waders in the boat. You never know when you may have to get out to fish or move the boat over shallow spots. I've had a few tumbles but have yet to float downriver feet up. Neo's for more than 20 years too.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #7
RichH
Ifish Nate

I always wear my neoprenes in the boat since I tend to get in and out of the boat a lot, either to fish or to land a fish.

No divers and bait for wild steelhead!!!!

Some people just have better things to do than have a big wang contest on Ifish every day.
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 01:05 PM   #8
BigSpinner
Steelhead

Last fall behind the guide shop on the wilson. My Dad and me were fishing for fall chinook. When a kid about 15 or so went to cross the river to fish the lower hole. Well he fell in and almost died. The guys on the other side held hands and went out after him. The kids head went under right as the guys got him with a net. There were a lot of wet guys on the other side but they saved that kids life. If the water is too strong don't cross fishing it not everything. A belt does help but you could still die very easy. Reading the water is a skill that could save your life and not just wading out. It is so sad to see people die doing something they love so much so everyone please be safe.

Jeremy,
BigSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 01:52 PM   #9
cannonball
Steelhead

Only when I posed for the Women in Waders Calender!
cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 01:58 PM   #10
Thumper
King Salmon

Helloooooo. Wear a PFD!!! All the time. Simple.

Time for CCA to now start focusing on cormorants and Caspian terns. Let's save a few million smolts!

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:00 PM   #11
Keta

I wear them when moose hunting (I guess duck too).
Old 12-12-2002, 02:20 PM   #12
Redbull
Chromer

They don't find too many dead fishermen wear their LIFE JACKETS! [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]

Hanging out with Liverwrecker made me gray

Redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:33 PM   #13
Fish Hound
Cutthroat

Thanks for all the good input.

The PFD thing hits home with me. It might be a little cumbersome but I'd rather be alive and a little uncomfortable, than the alternative.
Fish Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:55 PM   #14
cannonball
Steelhead

For the last week they have been combing the Columbia near the Reach for a fisherman that left his PDF on board to go ashore. In 50 degree waters, noone would last! Sad, but true. Something WARM could have given him the vital few minutes needed to save himself. This time of year is CRUTIAL to have a buddy. There is NOTHING more to add. :depressed:
cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:57 PM   #15
Redbull
Chromer

For about $45 bones you can get an ExtraSport (several different models) at REI or Alder Creek Kayak on Hayden Island. It's kind of like a seat belt - now you feel naked without it.

I do A LOT of sailboat racing and wind surfing. A cummfy life jacket makes all the difference.

Live to fish another day.

Bull

Hanging out with Liverwrecker made me gray

Redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 03:00 PM   #16
nerta
Steelhead

:smile: Wear then only if you have a PFD! I've filled mine twice and was glad I had the PFD. :grin: :grin:
Old 12-12-2002, 08:18 PM   #17
Nookie Monster
Steelhead

I like wearing my neoprenes. I always wondered what it would be like swimming in them. I found out firsthand, like KillerDave, and have taken a few swims.
The first swim was on the Deschutes when I cheesed Wapanitia (sp?) in my 8' cat. The rescue crew throwing the lifeline missed me by quite a ways so I had to do a significant swim to the rope. The neoprene waders acted like a second life jacket on my lower body, they allow a higher float in the water. I had a wader belt on and a spray jacket on over the top of the waders. I was amazed at how little water I took on for the amount of swimming I did, just a trickle of water came down my chest area.
The second time I went swimming in my waders, I went over Carter Falls on the upper Clack. I ran the falls on the worst line I could have taken (not intentionaly). I ran the pouroff just fine, stayed upright and in my boat, but when I got into the hole, there was no getting out. The river had ahold of me and sucked me straight down. I popped up about 30 feet downstream and looked back upstream to see if I could see my boat. I spotted my boat just in time to see it get caught in the reversal and sucked under again. About five seconds later the river spit my boat about 15 feet straight up into the air. For being completely submerged for those few seconds, I took on very little water again.
I have no problem whatsoever doing a swim with my waders on. I look at them as an extension of my life jacket. Speaking of life jackets, I'm with Thumper, wear your PFD. There is no reason not to. If you see me on the river, any river, I will have my PFD on. Always. No exception. If we are on the river at the same time, it won't be hard to recognize me. I will be wearing my PFD, have my Golden Retriever with me, and he will be wearing his PFD also.

Some people fail to realize that a tree is a living thing; not that different from a tall leafy dog that has roots and is very quiet.
Nookie Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:37 PM   #18
Lepper
Ifish Nate

It really depends.. for example, tomorrow drifting in our nice coastal weather and wind I am planning on wearing my 5mil neoprenes... reason beig I know what the take out spot looks like and my hip waders aren't high enough to drag the baot through the mud. I also find I can move aroudn a lot easier in my waders then my rain pants..
Old 12-12-2002, 09:33 PM   #19
Gizmo Man
Ifish Nate

From the experiences I have had checking my waders, float coats, hip boots, seat cushion and kpock life ring in a swimming pool (and we did this with a club and 18 members with a life guard) you will find that waders and boots do not fill up with water when you are immersed in water. They fill up when you reach land or are able to stand when gravity takes over and the boots fill from the water in your clothes. (you will get some leakage but most will come when your clothes drain into the boots.)

If you think about when you wet wade how the water compresses your pant legs against your leg this is what happens.

Next summer, go find a pool and experiment with your safety equipment and boots that you wear and learn what it does it water and how to use it to ward off cold water exposure.

I have no problems wearing neopreme waders in a boat, with a belt. If you fall in the water, they will float you, and keep the cold water away from you.

Remember that hypothermia is a killer. You only have a limited amount of time if you do go for a swim in the water. If you rescue someone from cold water, make sure you warm them up and do not leave them if possible. If you go in, make sure you get warm as quickly as possible. (Carry a change of clothes and a small propane heater in your car or boat for such emergencies.)

The best advise I can give, is to take the time to learn about water safety before you need to find out.

Also if you do go for a swim, get on your back, and try to trap as much air in your boots as possible.

If you are in hip boots, the top of the boots will act as sea anchors if you try to kick with your legs, tiring you out. Plus you will not get very much kick with the rubber boot. No webbing to push you (duck feet)

Get on your back, Pick a spot down stream to float to (don't try to swim up stream) Use your arms, which means you must let go of the rod to save your butt. You can replace the rod.

Giz...
Old 12-12-2002, 09:40 PM   #20
djb
Chromer

ok, ive got a question. What is a wading belt?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:46 PM   #21
Mojo
Ifish Nate

In 1983 I set the world record for the 100 meter Freestyle in hip boots(at -13 degrees). Since that date, I've been a firm believer in PFDs and Waders. Yep both. If you float feet up (waders) and add a PFD (cranium up), you'll float head and feet up. Breating and kicking for the bank.

'Nuff said (IMO).
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 10:13 PM   #22
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

Almost always wear my breathable waders. I also always wear my PFD.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:44 PM   #23
Fish Hound
Cutthroat

Default Wearing Waders in a Boat

I'm going to risk asking a stupid question here...

Do you usually wear your neoprenes or breathable waders when in a driftboat or when boating in general? Even though I wear a wading belt, I'm always a little paranoid about my waders filling with water in the event of an unplanned swim near midstream.

I know they come in real handy in low water conditions when you need to drag the DB and are good protection from the rain. Any thoughts?
Fish Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:51 PM   #24
Wet_Willy
Chromer

I seldom wear waders in my driftboat, just raingear unless I plan on getting out to fish or drag. Personal experience with neoprenes when I fell down in a river bank fishing is that you float, FEET UP. Tough to get your feet back down to get up but good floatation even though they got water inside them. The belt helps slow it down but they still fill up. I would think the other types could kill you under the wrong circumstances. My neighbors son growing up drowned while wearing chest waders in a boat when he fell overboard. I don't have anything other than neoprenes but I would think the gore-tex type would fill up and be a hinderance to swimming (the belt would help but not prevent water from entering if you spend any length of time in the water). If you wear them in a boat and are concerned, look into a inflatable collar or belt. Like I said, I don't generally wear them in a boat but when I do, they are neoprenes (with a belt). Lots of guys do it so I'm sure there are one or two on this board with personal experience with the other types of waders.
Hope that is helpful.
Bill
Wet_Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:55 PM   #25
skrimmy
Ifish Nate

Yikes, based on Wet Willy's response, that doesn't seem to be a stupid question at all, rather a darned good one. I can't wait to see other responses as I am looking to get a drift boat in a couple of months and the information will be handy. Thanks!

skrimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:56 PM   #26
drift fishing fool
Steelhead

ive worn mine in the boat pretty much every time there is a forecast for rain. i have some 5mm neo's, so they keep me pretty warm, and when fishing they come in handy. if you hook a native i think its a lot easier on them to beach them(if in a good are to do so) than to put them in a net. wearing waders makes this process much easier.

[ 12-12-2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: drift fishing fool ]
drift fishing fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 06:33 AM   #27
cully
Ifish Nate

djb, a wading belt is a simple strap of canvas or nylon webbing that has a plastic quick release buckle on it. You wrap it around the outside of your waders and then buckel it. It closes off the top half from the bottom half of your waders. cost about 5 bucks tops.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:08 AM   #28
Great White Sturgeon Hunter
Steelhead

I wear my waders all the time, butlike others have replied, get a flotation vest. I purchased one with a CO2 air bag. Wouldn't leave home without it.
Great White Sturgeon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 12:31 PM   #29
GutZ
Chromer

I like to wear my breathables in the DriftBoat. I have a very nice PFD. It is a Stearns Voyager. Very Warm.

I have taken one other precaution, and that is to paint CALL 911 on the soles of my wading boots. This message is also on the bottom of the Drift Boat. :tongue:

It's good to have friends.
It's Better to have friends with boats!
GutZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 11:16 PM   #30
Sturgeon 42
Chromer

big spinner I went after a kid down at the wilson guide shop that tried to cross the river, he had hip waders on and they filled full, and started to go down the river to the deep hole. I reacted quickly and jumped off the bank and grabbed him while i was on my knees sliding down river others grabbed my back and helped me drag him in.....I had neoprenes on with rain gear zipped up and wasnt worried about going down stream at all.....The youg man thanked me a lot..........I said anytime.... :smile: :smile: :smile: