i am Just Sick - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
VBsteelheader
Coho

Default i am Just Sick

I had a buddy who shot a bull on the last day of the season. We finally found it today, after bumping it last night. We were in contact with the state police, letting them know what we were doing the entire time. When we found it dead today, they told us to give the GPS location and to leave it lay. The elk expired sometime last night and had some spoialige, but beside the point i cannot belive that they told us to leave it. It makes me sick. My buddy did the right thing in tracking what he shot for two days, not giving up in the many down poors. I truly seen what a waste it was. Any thoughts..... Has this ever happened to you?

VBsteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
SwellRider
Tuna!

Default Re: i am Just Sick

that just don't make sense, you were in contact with them through out so they should know you didn't illegally take it out of season. so apparently what there saying is, if you can't be sure to retrieve your animal by the end of the day of the last day of the season then don't shoot it? don't understand that. wonder if there just gonna investigate then let you take it? by then it would be wasted anyway for sure! if you find any more out let us know, defenetly sicking
Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Gun Rod Bow

Sounds to me like you guys did the right thing all the way through.

I'd like to hear an explanation by OSP if this is accurate. Seems like OSP would be guilty of "wanton waste".

Even if they claimed the salvageable meat, it shouldn't have been wasted.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
High Life
Tuna!

As the season was coming to an end Sunday evening I thought the same thing.What if i made a bad shot on an elk?would I be able to back out and recover the animal the next morning?should i contact OSP and let them know I shot the animal legally and that I was packing it out from the previous day.Good job to your buddy for not giving up and trying to recover the animal.Not sure why OSP wouldn't allow him to salvage the meat off of it especially with him being in contact with them.
High Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
hunting-addict
Tuna!

Yeah that dosent make sense to me either...

From start to finish it sounds like you guys did the right thing. I would have called them immediately and let them know what the deal was and keep looking for the elk. I'm still confused about why they would tell you to leave it though?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Not Sponsored
Tuna!

You are allowed to pack after a hunt is over.
Not Sponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Brute
Sturgeon

Sorry to hear about this. What a shame.

Something like that happened to my brother in-law back in the Eights. While rifle hunting he killed an elk on the last day of the hunt late in the evening. He got it gutted and the head off and back to camp to get help well after dark. We were not going to get it out before the next morning.
Called OSP to tell them what was going on and are location. They were there waiting for us as we brought it out the next day. The OSP checked him for a valid tag and looked over the elk and said Thank You to him for calling them and letting them know what was going on. Luckily everything went well for him.

Last edited by Brute; 09-28-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
jeffotto
Chromer

Angry Re: i am Just Sick

Again, this states regulating authorities (at times) just make no sense to me. Some of the things we see and fall victim to make my stomach turn. Everything from the mismanagement of cougars to the turn of a head when ranchers heard game onto private for fee hunters really sets me off!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
upland bird hunter
Steelhead

Well thats horrible if you ask me. you should have the rights to the game.
upland bird hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
baltz526
King Salmon

48hrs after season close, to get an already dead animal out. With the elk still alive on monday it has created the issue. OSP is just following the letter of the law.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
Ben Hur
Tuna!

Good post Baltz, extending a season for one and everyone will shoot as late on the last day and maybe push their luck to get an arrow in an animal. Staying within the season as specified is important also.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
rimrock
Sturgeon

It makes total sense to me. If these situations became the allowable norm, all anyone would have to do is call OSP and say, "hey I am chasing a wounded elk" and get to hunt two or three extra days during the season. No, I am not saying that is what happened here, but if this became a new policy I am sure people would exploit it and make up wounded animal claims to get more hunting time on an elk they are after.

In this case it's a bummer, in the big picture it makes total sense and OSP is doing the right thing.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
OldTymer
Steelhead

A very accomplished bow hunter that I know had a similar experience. He shot a bull the last hour of the last day of season. It was a liver shot and he knew he was gonna have to leave the bull overnight to expire going after him that night would risk losing the bull. He called OSP gave the location and told the story of what happened. They met him up there in the morning expected the bull thanked him and told him to have a nice day. Like balz526 said sounds like they were just following the law to the letter being's that the bull was alive and kicking on Monday.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #14
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Law enforcement does not make the rules ...... they enforce them.
The season was over sunday. The bull was still alive monday. Law enforcement does not have the authority to "extend" the season for anyone - end of story.

You also say the elk already had some spoilage. When game officers salvage an animal they have to certify it is safe to eat. Game officers are trained and certified by the Oregon Dept of Agriculture to inspect game meat. That training dictates that all of a partially spoiled animal will be condemned. Should someone get sick, the State is liable for the consequences of that donated meat ---- especially if the meat inspection rules and procedures are ignored.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
VBsteelheader
Coho

thanks to everyone who posted. I Know that law enforcment has to do their job, and it is true that the season had ended. By allowing us to keep the elk, would open a can of worms, but it also feels wrong when it happens to you or a buddy. I just wish that the outcome was a whole lot better. I know that we did the right thing by letting OSP know what we were doing the entire time, and for my buddy to never give up. I know a lot of guys that would have thrown in the towel ofter the first day. Thanks to everyone again for your thoughts. I just felt like ranting about it last night. Thanks
VBsteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
WoodyinMosier
Steelhead

As a group we at OHA should look at other states like Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and other states on how they handle this issue. Then make recomdations to ODFW.
WoodyinMosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyinMosier View Post
As a group we at OHA should look at other states like Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and other states on how they handle this issue. Then make recomdations to ODFW.
I would agree with this.

It is also ilegal to pursue game onto private land. If you can call OSP and show where the animal was shot on public land, then traveled onto private, OSP can intervene with the landowner (I said can, not will) and allow retrieval. This seems to me to be a similar situation as long as OSP was aware from the close of season.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #18
Thehunter
Chromer

Some one needs to be charged with WASTE of game.....There is a dead elk that was shot....
Thehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #19
TaggedOut
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeb View Post
Law enforcement does not make the rules ...... they enforce them.
The season was over sunday. The bull was still alive monday. Law enforcement does not have the authority to "extend" the season for anyone - end of story.

You also say the elk already had some spoilage. When game officers salvage an animal they have to certify it is safe to eat. Game officers are trained and certified by the Oregon Dept of Agriculture to inspect game meat. That training dictates that all of a partially spoiled animal will be condemned. Should someone get sick, the State is liable for the consequences of that donated meat ---- especially if the meat inspection rules and procedures are ignored.
what a joke, can't believe the out come of this these guys should have been given awards for actually working to retrieve thier animal. They shot the bull during hunting season end of story.
TaggedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
Dextreme
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehunter View Post
Some one needs to be charged with WASTE of game.....There is a dead elk that was shot....
Who do you suggest being charged? The officer instructing them to leave it?
Dextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
Straydog
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextreme View Post
Who do you suggest being charged? The officer instructing them to leave it?
Or the guy that didn't make a shot adequate to quickly and humanely dispatch his prey?
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #22
Thehunter
Chromer

I would suggest OSP. They have the rights to harvest this animal and it can go to the food banks.

I would like to know what region was this OSP call made to?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
uhmw
Sturgeon

We never hunt on the last day.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
Thehunter
Chromer

Here is my issue. An elk was shot the last day. It's dead. The shooter and OSP know it's dead.

The animal is wasted. There is two at fault OSP & the hunter.

It's just a matter of who can get a better lawyer.

I'm going to send this to a OSP guy out of Bend. He is a good guy. Just interested on his take.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #25
Dextreme
Chromer

Quote:
The animal is wasted.
It maybe wasted in terms of being consumed by humans....but the forest critters are celebrating with full bellies.
Dextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #26
Thehunter
Chromer

AMEN my brother......

Way to look at the positive side of things.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
crabbait
King Salmon

No one is "at fault", that's hunting. You do the best you can, rifle or bow.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
Nature Harvester
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
Thats why I say they should open a general hand gernade season!
Nature Harvester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #29
Thehunter
Chromer

It is if the animal can't be retrieve. In this case two parties left it......

If you shoot an animal in season and you don't retrieve it you will be charge with WASTE OF GAME...
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #30
SuperSport
Coho

Quote:
Here is my issue. An elk was shot the last day. It's dead. The shooter and OSP know it's dead.

The animal is wasted. There is two at fault OSP & the hunter.

It's just a matter of who can get a better lawyer.

I'm going to send this to a OSP guy out of Bend. He is a good guy. Just interested on his take.
Try to read closer next time Hunter...

As was said originally, the animal was still alive on Monday, meaning he did not kill it during the season, period.

It was wounded during season.

Also
What does who can get a better lawyer have to do with it? I don't think they indicated there was a lawsuit being filed.

Slow down the responses and read before hitting ENTER.

It is to bad it didnt work out for the animal and the hunter in the end but your posts seem as though you are missing or ignoring the real details and just ranting for the heck of it.
SuperSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #31
Duckwheat
Tuna!

Quote:

I agree with this statement. I lost a deer and nearly had an elk get away from me. It made me think about my shots a lot. I think it actually made me a better hunter in the end run. If you do the same thing over and over without a correction, then you cannot fix that.

It does suck to lose one. It was over 30 years ago I blew the leg off a buck and lost it. I can remember every detail.

DW

Part time Motivational Team Leader and Life Coach.
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
SouthernCharm
Chromer

Sorry to hear about the loss. Having lived and hunted in Wy/CO, I know for fact that if you call them with the same situation, they would of met you at the hunting location, investigated, assisted and dispatched the animal if necessary. Too bad, that didn't happen in this case and hopefully, someone with game commission will follow up.

Good Luck fishing and hunting everyone Be Safe!
SouthernCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #33
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Quote:
...... it can go to the food banks.
Not in this situation. Per the OP, the elk was partially spoiled when the hunters finally located it. Therefore it could not be certified as fit for human consumption, and could never be donated to a food bank.

Last edited by Teeb; 09-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Teeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #34
blackdog
Ifish Nate

The reality is that this is just a really cruddy situation. Kudos for the hunter for doing his best to follow up on his shot and retrieve his animal and kudos to OSP for enforcing the laws. When the bull didn't expire immediately, it was already a bad situation. The fact he ultimately died two days later just makes it worse.

If OSP allows the hunter to harvest this animal it opens up a whole pandora's box of 'what if's'. What if the animal was wounded on the last day and the hunter was able to track it down on Monday. Still alive he makes the call to shoot it again thinking he's doing it a favor and putting it out of it's misery. Should that be legal as well? How do you know it wouldn't have lived? I certainly can't say for certain what this particular hunter would have done had he had such a chance to do so on Monday, but how's OSP supposed to enforce that? 'Suuuuure, Officer, I swear it was already wounded when I shot him out of season.'
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #35
3stix
Coho

This is why I never hunt past opening day.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #36
huntntrap
Chromer

what day would he validate his tag for?? anything before the last day they seen it alive would be wrong. so this elk was not killed during season!!!
huntntrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #37
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
The reality is that this is just a really cruddy situation. Kudos for the hunter for doing his best to follow up on his shot and retrieve his animal and kudos to OSP for enforcing the laws. When the bull didn't expire immediately, it was already a bad situation. The fact he ultimately died two days later just makes it worse.

If OSP allows the hunter to harvest this animal it opens up a whole pandora's box of 'what if's'. What if the animal was wounded on the last day and the hunter was able to track it down on Monday. Still alive he makes the call to shoot it again thinking he's doing it a favor and putting it out of it's misery. Should that be legal as well? How do you know it wouldn't have lived? I certainly can't say for certain what this particular hunter would have done had he had such a chance to do so on Monday, but how's OSP supposed to enforce that? 'Suuuuure, Officer, I swear it was already wounded when I shot him out of season.'

Well said blackdog. A bad situation for sure, likely no one really a fault here, animals jump the string, step or turn at just the wrong time and the if a guy hunts long enough, he may even release an arrow or bullet he wishes to have back.

It does get really tricky once the season ends. If it had died later that night, and been located the next morning, I suspect all would have been well. But once the bull lived through the night, I don't think there's a happy answer.

VB, thanks for sharing the situation. Thanksfully not too much of our somewhat traditional ifish Monday morning finger pointing here, and some good information for all to consider. I also don't hunt the last Sunday of the seaosn, but because I don't want to be packing meat after the season and after I'm supposed to be back to work. Never considered having to chance a wounded animal the day after the season closes.

RO

I fish because that's what the voices in my head tell me to do.
Reel Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #38
GameHogZ
Coho

Nothing worse than losing an animal. However, If the elk was not killed during season you can't tag the animal.
GameHogZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #39
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate

Yep, The reality is like many animals at the end of a hunting season this elk was still alive and therefore not taken (Reduced to possession) in the alloted time for this tag. It is not the fault of OSP, ODFW or even the hunter. Honestly I don't even know if there is a real lesson to be learned from this unless you want to say that hunters shouldn't hunt the last day but in this case even if he shot it on Saturday it still wouldn't have been reduced to possession until after the close of the season. So then would some of you say that people shouldn't hunt the last weekend? The reality is a person could marginally hit an elk on the first day and it could potentially live through the entire season.

It's unfortunate and ashame a bull had to be wasted but it situation went down to the letter of the law so while some may not like it it is fact the proper outcome.

Last edited by ORsouthpaw; 09-28-2011 at 06:08 PM.
ORsouthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #40
Fried Oyster
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stix View Post
Good point. You might end up spending, like, 25 days tracking a wounded animal.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #41
JerryM
Ifish Nate

OSP Game Troopers don't intentionally waste salvagable meat. I have known them to pack elk out miles through thick brush and creeks just to drive it to town and turn it over for salvage to a shelter or other charity.

This is unfortunate and rare in so much as it took two days for the animal to be found dead. I see the side of OSP and the frustration of the hunters. I guarantee the Trooper who had to make the call was not happy with having to do so.

I commend the hunters for staying after it. If there was no spoilage, we may have read a different story and they stayed after it to make that a possibility.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #42
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

I have also had an "OSP" experience where my animal was skinned and my meat was "salvaged" and packed out of the woods by a couple of troopers. They took the meat directly to a butcher in the area and I was able to enjoy sausage and hamburger for a few months after. I felt like the situation was handled extremely well.
waterfowlin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #43
blueduck
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stix View Post

I sorta agree with you. Sounds like a few of these guys would advocate maybe not hunting at least the last two or three days of the season to avoid some kind of mishap. Since we don't hunt by committee I singularly decide about the shots I take and the only guarantee I get is that I get no guarantee about the outcome. A lot of unintended things can and do happen. Not often, but they do happen. I lost a really nice bull one time. As far as hunting goes it you have hunted for any length of time at all you have either already lost something or you are fixin' to. What I was hearing is don't hunt the last part of the season and don't take any shot that has any risk to it.....well, they all have risk to a certain degree and the armchair quarterbacking is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Most of us do our best, have an idea of what our limitations are, and make sensible choices. Fact is stuff happens. If you don't think it's ever supposed to, don't ever pull the trigger and put the gun or bow away.

Last edited by blueduck; 09-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.
blueduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #44
Thehunter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeb View Post
Not in this situation. Per the OP, the elk was partially spoiled when the hunters finally located it. Therefore it could not be certified as fit for human consumption, and could never be donated to a food bank.

Makes sense
Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #45
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Quote:
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #46
bradly11
Sturgeon

Thats a bad situation, one I hope isnt repeated by anyone. It sounds like all parties involved did the right thing except consume the animal. Sometimes things just happen and we all can make situations like this less likley by being aware of shot placement and practice more. Even then what happened to the OP can happen again. Its just our duty as hunters to be the best marksmen we can be. I want it to be known that in no way am I flaming the OP actually taken this to heart and giving a round of applause for his efforts.
bradly11 is online now   Reply With Quote