Elk Heart and Onions - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
Gun Rod Bow

Default Elk Heart and Onions

It is the night for my families traditional feast of elk heart and onions. We cut meat as a family and the next night we eat elk heart. My daughter who is away at college is missing out, she's bummed.

I was blessed to kill a spike on what for me and other friends proved to be a tough archery hunting year.

Had some interesting horse follies. My back up saddle horse didn't want to be a pack horse and bucked hard enough to shred my panier bags....My saddle horse after a long ride in wanted a drink and walked up to the edge of a pond and dropped his head to drink, and his feet slowly slide forward until he was over center and he fell in a pond deeper than him with me abord...I stayed on while he thrashed then swam to the opposite side...next morning I hobbled #2 and turned loose #1 to let them graze...then I fell asleep...I woke up and hour later and they were gone!

Tracked them a mile from camp, #2 had his lead line wrapped up in the hobbles with his head between his knees but was still hopping after #1 when I caught up with them.

Anyway, tough year, meat in the freezer, good memories. We all survived.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Wreckless
King Salmon

Default Re: Elk Heart and Onions

Sounds like a typical hunting trip to me. Although I've never horse hunted, I've been around horses a lot. Sometimes they just don't do what they are supposed to!!!

Heart & onions MMMMMMmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the trip & the family time!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
spottedhawk36
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
It is the night for my families traditional feast of elk heart and onions. We cut meat as a family and the next night we eat elk heart. My daughter who is away at college is missing out, she's bummed.

I was blessed to kill a spike on what for me and other friends proved to be a tough archery hunting year.

Had some interesting horse follies. My back up saddle horse didn't want to be a pack horse and bucked hard enough to shred my panier bags....My saddle horse after a long ride in wanted a drink and walked up to the edge of a pond and dropped his head to drink, and his feet slowly slide forward until he was over center and he fell in a pond deeper than him with me abord...I stayed on while he thrashed then swam to the opposite side...next morning I hobbled #2 and turned loose #1 to let them graze...then I fell asleep...I woke up and hour later and they were gone!

Tracked them a mile from camp, #2 had his lead line wrapped up in the hobbles with his head between his knees but was still hopping after #1 when I caught up with them.

We are having elk heart and onions too lol
Old 09-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
nitrobass
Ifish Nate

Right on Way to enjoy all of the elk!

I like one big meal of heart/liver and onions each year. No more than that, but that meal is always memorable.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
spottedhawk36
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobass View Post
Right on Way to enjoy all of the elk!

I like one big meal of heart/liver and onions each year. No more than that, but that meal is always memorable.

I tried a piece of liver last night, cut a piece off to try then gave the rest to my father in law. i just fryed it in a pan and i didnt like it. how do you guys cook your liver? i probably didnt cook it right.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Gun Rod Bow

I'll eat a deer liver under duress. Elk liver tastes just like beef liver to me <not so good>. I keep heart on about everything. Liver on deer, and if I can't find someone to give it too, might eat it.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
nitrobass
Ifish Nate

If its an older elk normally I toss the liver - too many flukes and spots. Yearling elk I've never had any issues with. I havent seen nearly as much 'character' on a deer liver.

I dont get fancy with the liver, or heart. Slice it thin, soak it in cold water or milk for awhile if convenient, roll it in seasoned flour then toss it in some butter/oil with a pile of onions.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Joe
Sturgeon

My wife like the onions part of liver and onions real well but not the liver part. This year with our sons bull she suggested liver and heart. Great combo! Usually I just flour the heart and dip it in horseradish but smothered in onions will be the rule from here on out.

Congrats on the bull!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
arlie
Chromer

I made my old family recipe of pickled heart
arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlie View Post
I made my old family recipe of pickled heart
Not that I'll try it, cuz thin strips, coated in egg, Panko and fried is awfully good....but I am curious about this recipe, and also which culture it comes from.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Critter Getter
Chromer

For me , mustard on the liver and heart while frying is the very best way I've eaten it and it's good ,especially on the liver. Antelope and deer is the best , thin sliced soaked in water ,change water couple of times , in milk the final time .
Critter Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 AM   #12
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Nothing like a pan full of heart & liver smothered in onions.
Sounds like you had an eventfull season.
Sorry about the horse troubles....I'm tell'n ya, mules are the way to go.
Hunt'nFish
Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
OldTymer
Steelhead

Quote:

Can't beat heart definitely one of my favorites. Horses are amazing when things go smoothly but when they don't things can get ugly in a hurry. FishOnLoomis and I drew a Snake river mule deer tag a couple years ago. The first day packing in we were about 6-7 miles in when a branch rakes one of the horses spooking the horse. This spooked my horse. The first horse that spooked bucks his rider off. As soon as I jump off my spooked horse it rears up and rips the reigns out of my hands. Both horses go tearing down the trail bucking throwing all of our food, water, and gear including our ammunition everywhere!! We found the horses about 500 yards down the trail scared breathing hard just looking at us. After salvaging as much stuff as we could we fixed our ripped panniers and headed back to an area that had water. Not a great way to start out the trip but it was a fun trip none the less with many memories including that not so great one.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Gun Rod Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
I'm tell'n ya, mules are the way to go.
Hunt'nFish
I've ridden and packed both.

If you are going to use them hard and often, I'd pack mules.

If you are going to do it a few times a year, I'll stick with horses.

As far as riding a mule....

"A man that rides a mule is too broke to buy a horse and too proud to ride a cow"

<don't flip out, just an old cowboy saying I like....and kinda agree with>

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 09-28-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Eagleclaw
King Salmon

for all you guys and gals that eat organs.. i'm going on a rifle deer hunt next week and i don't eat the stuff. does anyone want them? i'll bring back the heart and liver if someone wants to eat it.
Eagleclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Wreckless
King Salmon

[QUOTE=Gun Rod Bow;
"A man that rides a mule is too broke to buy a horse and too proud to ride a cow"

<don't flip out, just an old cowboy saying I like....and kinda agree with>[/QUOTE]

The only time I ever tried to ride a cow , the cow WON!!!!

BTW - Heart stir-fry is GREAT!!!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
Incredible_Bulk
Tuna!

My family and I love the heart meat as well, lots of different ways, but one of the ways we've found that we love the most was through one of our peruvian friends.

Dish is called Anticuchos.

Basically its marinated heart meat kabobed, and it is DELICIOUS.

http://www.food.com/recipe/peruvian-anticuchos-182583

Has the recipe that we've used in the past, it's worth trying. It's specifically designed for heart meat, at least that's the traditional meat used.
Incredible_Bulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #18
225nontypical
Ifish Nate

while i do not eat liver or heart i did save them from my cow and gave them to a good friend of mine that loves the stuff. so at least they got used. i also took the hide in and got 2 nice new pairs of gloves
225nontypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
uhmw
Sturgeon

We eat the heart @ elk camp.
uhmw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #20
crabbait
King Salmon

Dad cut meat for a living and taught me to immediately get the liver into a large pan of very cold salted water. Change the water often and soak for up to 24 hours. Get the blood out. When you are finished changing water and soaking the water should be nearly clear.

Cut the liver into 1/2" think steaks, dredge with flour, salt and pepper.

In a hot frying pan (cast works well) brown the liver on both sides at med/high...a couple minutes per side at most. Then reduce the heat to med/low and add onions w/salt-pepper. Cover with a couple tablespoons of water to get the steam going and cook until the onions are done. Serve.

I have had people swear I was feeding them steak, couldn't possibly be liver. Just try it. Works for deer, elk, etc.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
arlie
Chromer

Quote:
Not that I'll try it, cuz thin strips, coated in egg, Panko and fried is awfully good....but I am curious about this recipe, and also which culture it comes from.
It might be Norwegian but I'm not sure. The pickling is easy, just boil the heart until it is done through. Then cut in half and slice each half in 1/4" slices. place these in quart jars, an elk heart does 2 quarts. Slice some onion and place on top of heart slices. Now the pickle juice is 2 cups vinegar, 1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1tsp pickle spice, 1tsp salt(non-iodized). Boil mixture for a couple minutes and then fill jars. It might take a batch and a half to accomplish this for an elk heart. This is also really good for beef tongue, really good!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #22
fish forever
Steelhead

If you like pickled Elk heart -> try pickled Elk tongue. Use the same recipe. Boil until soft, peel the skin off, and slice thin.

I've tried deer -> too small to be worth the trouble but Elk and Moose are just right.

Also, in addition to onion - try adding jalepenos, garlic, Cauliflower, carrots or just about any crispy fresh vegetable.......

Last edited by fish forever; 09-29-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: missing info
fish forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #23
arlie
Chromer

Fish forever, I was wondering about the tongue on elk too so thanks for posting that. For those who haven't tried it, you're missing out. Back in Wisconsin when my mom would make a batch with whitetail hearts it would only last a day or two and it was gone. Good Stuff!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #24
spottedhawk36
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post
Dad cut meat for a living and taught me to immediately get the liver into a large pan of very cold salted water. Change the water often and soak for up to 24 hours. Get the blood out. When you are finished changing water and soaking the water should be nearly clear.

Cut the liver into 1/2" think steaks, dredge with flour, salt and pepper.

In a hot frying pan (cast works well) brown the liver on both sides at med/high...a couple minutes per side at most. Then reduce the heat to med/low and add onions w/salt-pepper. Cover with a couple tablespoons of water to get the steam going and cook until the onions are done. Serve.

I have had people swear I was feeding them steak, couldn't possibly be liver. Just try it. Works for deer, elk, etc.

I may have to try that with the liver with our next deer or elk.