rough framing - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #1
ry
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 232
Default rough framing

Thinking of building. Anyone know what going rate is now for framers. Need 2x6 walls truss hung sheeting on. The standard. Just need a general idea of $$$ per square ft.

ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
No Fences
King Salmon
 
No Fences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, OR
Posts: 6,573
Default Re: rough framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry View Post
Thinking of building. Anyone know what going rate is now for framers. Need 2x6 walls truss hung sheeting on. The standard. Just need a general idea of $$$ per square ft.
Your price will vary on location, plans, engineering, build difficulty and so on. There is no one price fits all for framing.
__________________
Take a kid hunting or fishing.
No Fences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Ben Hur
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florence
Posts: 1,070
Default Re: rough framing

Rough framing for a standard box house is between $15-$18 per ft. for handling the 2x6 material. That price should include only the construction using all the material from the raw concrete walls to the roof, roof sheated and all interior walls, windows installed and finished siding, pony walls underneath for support if needed. A second story doubles the square ft but only costs about 1/2 for framing labor for the second floor. Decking is about $5 per ft. Garage framing about $5 per ft. You furnish all the materials to code or better.

As earlier stated, it gets more costly as you build more exotic features into any house including the roof pitch other than 4-12. A standard 2 story with several nice features, deck, porch landings, stairs and room over the garage runs about $25,000. Cheap, if you don't want anything than standard features.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Blderman
Tuna!
 
Blderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,462
Default Re: rough framing

If it's a simple building and the framers are hungry $3-4/sq.ft, if they want the work but don't need it $5-8/sq.ft. Those are just ball park figures and remember that you get what you pay for with framing.....
Blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Ben Hur
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florence
Posts: 1,070
Default Re: rough framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blderman View Post
If it's a simple building and the framers are hungry $3-4/sq.ft, if they want the work but don't need it $5-8/sq.ft. Those are just ball park figures and remember that you get what you pay for with framing.....
I think you left off the teen (the one in front of those estimates) as in $14-18. Your really trying to say, a 2000 sq. ft. house should be framed with roof sheating, and all rough interior from the concrete up, should be done for $8,000 maximum and maybe for $6,000. If I do the math right at 6 weeks for two guys with all their own tools that comes to $4,000 each for a total of 240 hours each or $16 per hour minus, self employment tax min. 10%, gas to the site 4%, tool use 4%, state and federal tax 25%, and not counting time for miscellaneous buisness expenses, weather delays, material delays, bonds and licenses, and material exchange, planning and plan reading for the biding and dump fees, etc... That comes out to a man working for a max of $9.12 and more likely for $6.00 per hour. Heck man minimum wage is almost $9.00 an hour for a guy who's only skill is asking "do you want frys with that and he has no expenses, skills or tool he brings to the job?"

Using your other figure ($3) is a clear federal violation of the minimum wage act.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
SlamminSalmon69
Chromer
 
SlamminSalmon69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Warren, OR
Posts: 956
Default Re: rough framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
I think you left off the teen (the one in front of those estimates) as in $14-18. Your really trying to say, a 2000 sq. ft. house should be framed with roof sheating, and all rough interior from the concrete up, should be done for $8,000 maximum and maybe for $6,000. If I do the math right at 6 weeks for two guys with all their own tools that comes to $4,000 each for a total of 240 hours each or $16 per hour minus, self employment tax min. 10%, gas to the site 4%, tool use 4%, state and federal tax 25%, and not counting time for miscellaneous buisness expenses, weather delays, material delays, bonds and licenses, and material exchange, planning and plan reading for the biding and dump fees, etc... That comes out to a man working for a max of $9.12 and more likely for $6.00 per hour. Heck man minimum wage is almost $9.00 an hour for a guy who's only skill is asking "do you want frys with that and he has no expenses, skills or tool he brings to the job?"

Using your other figure ($3) is a clear federal violation of the minimum wage act.
since when does expenses count towards your gross pay? I mean, i could deduct all sort of expenses from my paycheck to make it seem like i am grossly underpaid. sounds like $16.00/hr is a pretty decent wage these days if you can get it.

I acted as my own general contractor (owner builder) and had a 2 story custom home (2600sq/ft) framed for roughly 8,000.00. This was about 8 years ago, so I am not sure what the going rate today is, but I may still have the number of the guy who did the work if you are interested.
__________________
Youth and Skill is no match for Age and Treachery
SlamminSalmon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Blderman
Tuna!
 
Blderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,462
Default Re: rough framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
I think you left off the teen (the one in front of those estimates) as in $14-18. Your really trying to say, a 2000 sq. ft. house should be framed with roof sheating, and all rough interior from the concrete up, should be done for $8,000 maximum and maybe for $6,000. If I do the math right at 6 weeks for two guys with all their own tools that comes to $4,000 each for a total of 240 hours each or $16 per hour minus, self employment tax min. 10%, gas to the site 4%, tool use 4%, state and federal tax 25%, and not counting time for miscellaneous buisness expenses, weather delays, material delays, bonds and licenses, and material exchange, planning and plan reading for the biding and dump fees, etc... That comes out to a man working for a max of $9.12 and more likely for $6.00 per hour. Heck man minimum wage is almost $9.00 an hour for a guy who's only skill is asking "do you want frys with that and he has no expenses, skills or tool he brings to the job?"

Using your other figure ($3) is a clear federal violation of the minimum wage act.
Well, I have been building for 14 years so I am pretty sure I know what I am talking about. The OP asked for basic framing numbers, not all inclusive pricing. I can easily get those prices from most any commercial framing outfit on a SIMPLE project. Additionally, if it takes two guys six weeks to frame a 2,000 sq.ft. house then you need to find new framers. I framed my own house in 6 weeks by myself and it was all hand cut 10/12 pitch. So, I will have to disagree, the OP should be able to find a framer for right around $5-8/sq.ft without too much trouble.
Blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
No Fences
King Salmon
 
No Fences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, OR
Posts: 6,573
Default Re: rough framing

There are plenty of good framing crews that are hungry. If it is a simple project, you can easily get the framing closer to $3.50/ft. Lots of guys are just trying to make wages right now.
__________________
Take a kid hunting or fishing.
No Fences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Ben Hur
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florence
Posts: 1,070
Default Re: rough framing

You guys must be talking about framing only not a roughed in house with windows, roof set to be roofed and siding included. In 6 weeks if you did all the work yourself on 2000 sq ft. you would have to be working 16-20 hour days. When I was younger like in 1972 my dad and I were paid $4,000 per house for framing, no siding, no windows, but including the roof sheeting, but no overhang work for a one story 1,100 sq ft. house. Are you saying the price for framing now is similar to 1972 prices? I worked recently on a tract house project and the 75 homes that averaged 1,400 sq ft. framing went for an average $12,000 bid, same house in better times was around $16-18,000 bid here in Florence. No way am I $10,000 off on my pricing for a 1,400 sq ft. house we must be comparing apples and oranges somewhere. The cheapest labor guy on the job was at $10 per hour plus 30% cost for the temp hiring agency.

A 25 yr. experienced carpenter I worked with was asked to frame an addition for $8 an hr. when my friend told the owner no way and that he couldn't afford to use his own tools at that price. The guy says, "well if you have all your own tools, I will pay you $9 an hour. That is just plain insulting to a skilled carpenter, even being paid under the table, is that what you guys are proposing, cheating the state, the IRS, the contractors board and the homeowner? I really hope I'm wrong, but give a guy an honest opinion not a cheapo price you inflate later. If you have help hired for a project like the guy asked in this thread, by law you cannot violate the state minimum wage, at least for long.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
No Fences
King Salmon
 
No Fences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, OR
Posts: 6,573
Default Re: rough framing

I could have a half a dozen crews lined up next week to frame that 1400 square foot house by mid next week. They would all do the rough framing of walls, roof on and sheathed, ready for the roof to be stocked, and have the windows set with proper weatherization for about $5250. That's $3.75/sq ft by licensed, bonded and insured crews and the house would pass inspections and have quality control walk done with fixes. These crews would have this ready for a quality walk in 3-4 days if all lumber, truss, and window deliveries were on time.

** siding, roofing material and such not included.**
__________________
Take a kid hunting or fishing.
No Fences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #11
Blderman
Tuna!
 
Blderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,462
Default Re: rough framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fences View Post
I could have a half a dozen crews lined up next week to frame that 1400 square foot house by mid next week. They would all do the rough framing of walls, roof on and sheathed, ready for the roof to be stocked, and have the windows set with proper weatherization for about $5250. That's $3.75/sq ft by licensed, bonded and insured crews and the house would pass inspections and have quality control walk done with fixes. These crews would have this ready for a quality walk in 3-4 days if all lumber, truss, and window deliveries were on time.

** siding, roofing material and such not included.**

Blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
Blderman
Tuna!
 
Blderman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,462
Default Re: rough framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hur View Post
You guys must be talking about framing only not a roughed in house with windows, roof set to be roofed and siding included. In 6 weeks if you did all the work yourself on 2000 sq ft. you would have to be working 16-20 hour days. When I was younger like in 1972 my dad and I were paid $4,000 per house for framing, no siding, no windows, but including the roof sheeting, but no overhang work for a one story 1,100 sq ft. house. Are you saying the price for framing now is similar to 1972 prices? I worked recently on a tract house project and the 75 homes that averaged 1,400 sq ft. framing went for an average $12,000 bid, same house in better times was around $16-18,000 bid here in Florence. No way am I $10,000 off on my pricing for a 1,400 sq ft. house we must be comparing apples and oranges somewhere. The cheapest labor guy on the job was at $10 per hour plus 30% cost for the temp hiring agency.

A 25 yr. experienced carpenter I worked with was asked to frame an addition for $8 an hr. when my friend told the owner no way and that he couldn't afford to use his own tools at that price. The guy says, "well if you have all your own tools, I will pay you $9 an hour. That is just plain insulting to a skilled carpenter, even being paid under the table, is that what you guys are proposing, cheating the state, the IRS, the contractors board and the homeowner? I really hope I'm wrong, but give a guy an honest opinion not a cheapo price you inflate later. If you have help hired for a project like the guy asked in this thread, by law you cannot violate the state minimum wage, at least for long.

The OP asked for FRAMING costs, not siding, windows etc.

And when I framed my house it was nights and weekends, definitely not 16-20hr days. Good framers get things done a lot faster.

Last edited by Blderman; 09-17-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
chuck combs
Steelhead
 
chuck combs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: aumsville
Posts: 204
Default Re: rough framing

I paid $6.00 per sq ft labor on my house 3300 sq ft
chuck combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
No Fences
King Salmon
 
No Fences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, OR
Posts: 6,573
Default Re: rough framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck combs View Post
I paid $6.00 per sq ft labor on my house 3300 sq ft
How long ago?
__________________
Take a kid hunting or fishing.
No Fences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #15
Ben Hur
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florence
Posts: 1,070
Default Re: rough framing

We have to be talking apples and oranges is all I can say. A 1,400 sq. ft. house framed and sheeted with windows and meeting all inspections etc... at $3.75 per ft. is a cost of $5,250. You folks can have the work for that price, but I just have to add, "caveat emptor" to the homeowner.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
lilnorthfork
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Banks
Posts: 3,431
Default Re: rough framing

We just had a 1,650sf single-level built. Here were the pricing breakouts:

Frame pack - $14,500
Trusses - $2,500
Framing Labor - $4,500

Framing was done by a quality company with many years of experience.
__________________
Go fishing, eat something and take a nap = Perfect Day
lilnorthfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
byebyeducky
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 1,016
Default Re: rough framing

I could do it for $2/SF







I find it sad and frustrating that the construction industry kills themselves with the "low bid" mentality. I never get involved. I don't want to work for free (or pay to work), and quite frankly we have survived the economy by fixing work done by "the low bidder". I often get so frustrated by this problem in construction, but then I stop and remember its capitalism, and again, if it weren't for construction defects as well as the wonderful wet weather in Oregon, we would be sitting at home.

Whatever you do decide to do, I highly recommend checking out the CCB and insurance on your contractor. A claim on your homeowners policy for an un-insured illegal "employee" on your property is not what you want.
byebyeducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:58 PM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.33419 seconds with 37 queries