Winter Steelie Drift Rod - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 12-03-2002, 07:56 PM   #1
Flatfish
King Salmon

Default Winter Steelie Drift Rod

Have been out of the driftfishing loop for quite a while now. Plan on getting back into the groove this year. My question is this, Whats the finest drift rod available? I want to keep it for many years, so a warrenty is a must. It is for my wife ,so light weight is a must. We fish from a boat mostly, so I am thinking a 1 piece loomis GL-3, 8'6",casting, 8-12 line rating.Pretty much a classic stick but I want the 1 piece rod.The IMX will not live the life of a rod in my boat( remember the wife is the front seater, the furry dog in the back is my concern with an IMX) I don't think they will take the use/abuse and survive.
Does anyone have any experience with the Titanium Lamis? Does Sage make a similar product? TH, What about you? Any other thoughts?
Thanks,

Mark and the rod bustin dog.

A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:06 PM   #2
blacktail
Tuna!

Default Re: Winter Steelie Drift Rod

Mark,

I'm not sure, but I believe you will really be limiting your options by only wanting a 1 piece rod.

Most of the "better" drift rods seem to be in 2 pieces. Lots of nice pluggin' and bouncin' rods in 1 piece though.

Hopefully I am wrong.

If you don't want an IMX, I would think a 1024 or 1084 in GL3 or one of TH's rods would be about perfect.

Mike
Old 12-03-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
tailchaser
Ifish Nate

I personally love the 9' Loomis GLX 6-12 lb spin rod for drift fishing. I feel absolutely every little bump with it and can't be beat. However, it is a two piece rod but I abuse my products also and they have to be proven before they make it in my boat. Lifetime warranty on the rod sold me. If it ever breaks, no sweat I'll grab a new one. You're going to pay a little for it 300+ and they're hard to find in that model but well worth the effort.

tc
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:08 PM   #4
blacktail
Tuna!

Mark,

On second thought, if you're worried abot "the rod bustin' dog", you may want to get her a yellow rod! :smile:

Mike
Old 12-03-2002, 08:23 PM   #5
Haftafish
Steelhead

ST. Croix rods have a life time warranty. Pretty hard to beat that.
Haftafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:24 PM   #6
Keta

Lamiglass Certified Pro rods are light and I like both of my 9-1/2' rods.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:26 PM   #7
Haftafish
Steelhead

http://www.stcroixrods.com/

Take a look. :smile:
Haftafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:31 PM   #8
Flatfish
King Salmon

OK how bout a 2 piece stick. I much prefer the long unit, but if it aint available, then we will make it work. Are there any 8 foot( give or take a couple inches) rods that fill the bill?

I would get her a yellow rod, but she has "inherited" my old trusty Lami, and since I grew up with it in my grip, I am pretty used to it (read "I want MY rod back"). That and maybe someone has figured out how to make a better stick since Reagan was in charge. Maybe. For the money, I sure hope so.
Thanks Again.

Mark and the rod bending dog.

[ 12-03-2002, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Old 12-03-2002, 09:34 PM   #9
Straydog
King Salmon

Lamiglas certified pro or if you prefer to spend less look at a 1306t baitcaster.
Straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:37 PM   #10
Catch 22
Tuna!

Haftafish, St. Croix offers a limited lifetime warrantee on their Avid rods. The Wild River series only carries a 2 year. They do not cover accidental breakage (car door, stepped on, etc) on any of their rods. They don't have an expeditor program like Loomis.

Flatfish, I've tried every Loomis out there. The rod you're looking for is the 1024C in GL3. It meets you're requirements and is going for $270. It can take some abuse and is very sensitive. If you do break it it will cost you $50 which includes shipping. The program is like this. You call Loomis and give them a credit card #. They ship a new rod in a tube with a prepaid return shipping label. You put in the broken rod and apply new label. You ship tube back. I've yet to wait more than a few days for anything from them.
Ifish Member #161
Catch 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:44 PM   #11
Bambine
Fry

Have you ever tried the Berkley Aim IM7? It's an inexpensive rod $79.00(Fisherman's Marine just had them for $48.88. The are a very nice rod for the money. I have a custom with Loomis IMX blanks that is great, but was expensive. The IM7 has good backbone with a very sensitive tip. I almost like it better than my IMX. I broke my IM7 last year and sent it in and they sent me a new one. If nothing else it's a great back up rod.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:55 PM   #12
SeanD
Tuna!

I'll second the berkely IM7. I have The 8-12, 8.5 ft and its great. I also like the 1025 rainshadow 8-17 lb line rating, 8.5 ft, i bought from TH. I let a buddy try it out last week and he was suprised at how it was more sensitive than his lami 1306.

Travis can wrap you a 1024 rainshadow too, i just bought one for my dad, havent had a chance to use it yet though.... a few $$ less than the loomis gl3.

[ 12-04-2002, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: SeanD ]
Old 12-04-2002, 08:33 AM   #13
rola76
Ifish Nate

I've fished both the 8'6"(mine) and the 9"(Dad's) in GL2 and GL3, and to be honest I don't think there's a ton of difference. If you need a tip that's so sensitive to tell if you're getting a bite, then you shouldn't spend that much money on a rod anyways.

Don't have one, but I heard nothing but good things about the Berkley's for a decent priced rod.

If you don't mind spending the $$, then Loomis or St. Croix are definitely the way to go in my opinion.
rola76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:52 PM   #14
drift fishing fool
Steelhead

the only rod you need is a loomis 1024c. 8'6" 8-12lb medium action in the gl3 blank. i have all gl3 blanks in my bass rods but never really wondered about the durability. drifted with a newbie on the oars one day and put the steelie stick to the test. sidedrfiting and buddy on the sticks wasnt watching the water, a log was just barely bellow the surface. boom we hit in and i fall on the gunnel(no guard) and sorta bump my rod on the way down. rubs off some of the finish but no really obvious damage. hadnt even caught a fish yet, ouch. well since it has put the wood to a bunch of summers and held up fine. all-in-all SWEET rod :grin:
drift fishing fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:14 PM   #15
King13fisher
Steelhead

I'll back the Berkley IM7.... I prefer the 10-20lb 8'6", great backbone with the sensitivity to boot. GI Joe's will guarantee them for life. I slipped on the rock near Mehama and knocked the insert out of the rod tip....took it in and no questions asked, they handed me a new rod. They told me that as long as they had the same rod in stock I could walk out with it...if it wasn't in stock they'd have to order it.
So impressed I bought the 15-50 lb for salmon...I also like to use that rod for sturgies :grin:

King13fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 05:27 PM   #16
novice
Chromer

I just picked up an 8'6" 4-10 Berkley series one drift rod from Bi-mart last weekend. Last one....Clearance price...35.99$ I think I will be more than Happy with it at that price...
Still saving up for that TH rod.. Hey Trav.. cut me a deal........
novice
Old 12-04-2002, 05:37 PM   #17
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

Having fished, and damn near broke every type of rod out there. I have to agree with everyone on berkleys. I own a GL2 1024&1025 and honestly feel that my berkleys fish as good or better in most conditions. Don't like Lami's, well atleast the 1000 series. Don't do it for me, too stiff and break a little to easy IMHO.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:25 PM   #18
Flatfish
King Salmon

Went to FMS today. Does anybody have a 1024c GL-3 for sale,with warrenty?
If not it looks like the better half is gettin a new stick.
Mark and the dog.