Removable wood slat sides for my Flatbed trailer - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
pksgundogs
Steelhead

Smile Removable wood slat sides for my Flatbed trailer

I am wondering if anybody has some pics of their flatbed trailers where they have built stout removable wood side boards. I have seen some go by on the road and should have snapped a pic or two of the better designed ones. My jeep trailer has welded pockets already. Probably going to use pressure treated 2x4 uprights, horizontal 2x6's, carriage bolts, etc. My neighbor is out of work so I am going to give him some instructions, bring over the materials and tools, and pay him to build it. He could use a little extra money and it gives him something meaningful to do...If I can provide him some photos, he can probably figure it out. Thanks.

pksgundogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Lead Bouncer
King Salmon

Default Re: Removable wood slat sides for my Flatbed trailer

All depends on the weight and type of freight you want to contain. Tie downs are still required. Anything that comes off the trailer during an accident is a major liability.

Leaves are one thing.

heavy parts and equipment may require metal walls.

All are built the same way. Studs backed by either plywood or sheetmetal and C- channel or box studs.

The unit I built for my Fred meyer cheapo utility trailer utilized some brass door hinges with the pin removed. One set or two on each corner, get the ying and the yang together and put the pin or sloppy bolt back in the hole.
That way you can stack them along the wall if you dont need the boards.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
RayandMandi
Chromer

One thing I discovered years ago was if you use metal (channel or tubing) for the uprights it is considerably more ridgid and lasts much longer.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
RayandMandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
fishkisser
King Salmon

doh Re: Removable wood slat sides for my Flatbed trailer

Using door hinges or other heavy slip pin hinges is handy to disconnect the front and back from the sides ... I also always used a piece of 3/4" plywood for the front and some Diamond Mesh Expanded Metal for the rear view hole if used on a truck bed ...
Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
gpt
Ifish Nate

i use 2" channel for the upright parts, 2x6 pressure treated for the slats bolted to the channel. you can find great disconnect hardware for latching the front to the sides as well as the rear slat wall. any quality hardware store has a bunch of choices that make latching easy and quick.

the size of the channel is going to be determined by the pockets you say already exist. use the steel that is appropriate for a rigid and solid connection to your trailer body.
gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
pksgundogs
Steelhead

Thanks to all who replied. I should have that this is to modify my tandem axle jeep trailer to haul firewood, and has standard 2x4 sized pockets for the uprights. I went out today and bought the materials, less the latches to tie in the corners, and am ready to put my neighbor to work.
pksgundogs is offline   Reply With Quote