dangers of the Columbia bar - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 12-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #1
id. painter
Ifish Nate

Default dangers of the Columbia bar

Two years ago i had a 17ft. Alumaweld. I was interested in fishing the ocean and the buoy 10 area.I ask this board about the safety of crossing the bar in my boat , i recieved a wide range of advice . One person wrote back and said be careful, you are probably O.K., go have fun. I also got some advice from Jennie,"we have a very dangerous bar to cross and i would not advise you travel it in a 17ft. boat" . After Jennie's word of caution i started to look into the history of the Columbia bar. There have been over 2000 ships wrecked on that stretch of water. For a ship to enter the mouth of the river there must be a liscensed "bar pilot"navigating the ship.My father is retired and lives on Vancouver Is. near Port McNiel, he cautioned that "ive heard too many horror stories about that bar, its just a matter of time before you find yourself in trouble" . He feels that no salmon is worth risking your life for. For the last two summers ive gone to Illwaco and had a blast. Llast summer ,there were a couple deaths on the bar, and the year before, there was a 40ft. boat wreck that killed all four crew. I need to hear some positive stories about fishing the area. Some people who have fished there for many years without any problems. My father has a awsome home right on the water , no bar ,no swells , but its in Brittish Columbia and a two day drive from my home.I have used the buoy 10 area as a stopping point on the way to fish in Canada.I need to hear some positive stories from people who have fished and crossed the bar for many years without any trouble.Is my father being overly cautious,and unrealistic? Am i really taking that big a risk to cross the bar, to catch a Salmon? id. painter

Old 12-03-2002, 01:22 PM   #2
Pete
Administrator

Default Re: dangers of the Columbia bar

Certainly knowledgable, cautious boaters can manage the bar, but the key is knowledge. The "graveyard of the Pacific" is aptly named. The conditions can be severe and change quickly as tide, river, weather all influence what occurs there. It isn't just a matter of "crossing the bar". It's a matter if timing and chosing the conditions that make it safe. I'm not going to provide the "done it for years without a problem" response you're looking for. Things change so quickly at the Columbia Bar that it's something that will never lend itself to a blanket rule. It will never be a "safe" place to fish. But if you understand the tides, the river conditions and the effects of weather, it is possible to find windows of time when it is an excellent fishery where you can minimize the risks.

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
Miss B Haven
King Salmon

Location: Mountaindale- between the Girl Scout Camp and the Nudist Camp :)

Id - People die on every bar. People die just swimming in the rivers in the summer. People almost die hitting an elk in a dang airplane for gosh sakes (local news story today).
The CR bar can be nice and it can be ugly. IF you have the equipment and the knowledge and the guts to not go when it doesn't feel right, you'll be OK. Most of the time. It is not a good place to start out if you are green. It is not a good place to go without some local knowledge. It is not a good place to go to find out what piece of equipment you should have bought but didn't yet!
Check these links and judge for yourself. You'll hear everything from soup to nuts on this.
http://www.boatoregon.com/News/1999Archive/7-1Bar.html
http://www.boatoregon.com/CoastalWaters/Safety1.htm

Hmmm... can't find that link for the Oregon Bars/river entrances. anybody have it book marked? Ha - Found it- here it is:
http://www.marinebd.osmb.state.or.us...ts.htm#Netarts

[ 12-03-2002, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Miss B Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:45 PM   #4
graybeard
Steelhead

I don't know of any old salty dogs that can't tell you a hair raising story of tragedy/near tragedy at sea. If you spend enough time out there, sooner or later something is going to happen. (motor breaks or stalls, weather changes quickly, bar roughs up while you are out fishing.... etc.

As far as equipment goes, have a back up for everything in case something breaks. Always keep a vigilant eye on your surroundings. Learn an area from someone who knows it well.

Just because someone is fishing out there doesn't mean they have a lick of common sense.
Old 12-03-2002, 01:55 PM   #5
FishinMission
Sturgeon

I'm gonna catch flak for this...and I know lots of people are attracted to that area..but a good majority of the fish caught in that area are staging, if not heading, up the Columbia River. For me....I choose to fish here within 20 or so miles of Portland, where for one...you can save yourself about 2 hours of driving time.

No fish is worth your life. If you time it right...the fishing can be pretty good all along the Columbia River...not just at the bar.

Different strokes for different folks!!

Whatever you do...be safe, aware, and prepared for most anything.

Good luck...

Mark
FishinMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:56 PM   #6
NAUTI-NOTIONS
Chromer

information alley

http://www.boatwashington.com/
NAUTI-NOTIONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 02:32 PM   #7
Nanook

Hoa yeah FM....

:tongue:

[ 12-03-2002, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]
Old 12-03-2002, 03:02 PM   #8
Miss B Haven
King Salmon

FM said "I'm gonna catch flak for this...and I know lots of people are attracted to that area.."
No Flak from me FM, you can have any fish that gets by me! In fact you can have both of them. :grin:

This is a very personal choice. No one should feel he needs to put his (or anyone elses) life in danger to catch a dang fish. For me- I'd be out there even if they close all fishing! I love it. I didn't buy Miss B to troll in T-bay or Anchor up and Sturgeon fish the CR. I also would not be out there in a small boat (nope- not going to define "small"). Again- personal choice. :smile:
Fishing is really just an excuse for me to go out there. A dang good excuse I'll admit. :grin:

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:35 PM   #9
fishingfirst
Tuna!

Like Miss B said, I wouldn't go out in a small boat. I have a 17' aluminum and I pick my days for going out of Astoria. I will not take it out accross the bar. It is not because I am afraid or do not have enough experience, it is because I RESPECT the water. Too many people with much more experience than me have been hurt out there for me not to take it seriously. I love fishing and I love boating, I just pick the right conditions for my boat, and I know that my boat has no place out there.

Scott
Old 12-03-2002, 03:46 PM   #10
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

i am also learning before i cross the bar. make sure you have vhf radio, cell phone, gps, flares, map, horn, and an anchor. and i would make sure you have two options for a motor. i am sure there is more but these seem essential. just keep reading and go out with a guide a time or two. and for small craft i would only go out on days where it is really nice and watch the weather reports. you might try tillamook bay bar before you go out on the columbia. even on the t-bay bar you have to be respectful. be safe.

peace, love, happiness, and fishing

Wu-tang fishing clan
fishing is life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #11
Rusty
Ifish Nate

id.,

There is some EXCELLENT advice in the preceeding posts. You can't go wrong by remembering what they said.

Personally, I believe your 17' boat is too small for the CR Bar! No doubt the sides are only 27-30" and this can mean a wet experience no matter what the conditions.

I now have a 21' Alumaweld Formula Vee with 33" sides and plenty of equipment to keep me safe. And...I still pick my days, watch the forecast, and back off if at any time I feel uncomfortable with the conditions once on the bar.

Have fun, but use a LARGE dose of common sense.

Rusty
Old 12-03-2002, 03:52 PM   #12
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

The estuary and the ocean outside of the Columbia is so rich in resource that to ignore it is to miss so very much. It is not brain surgery to pick your days and play cautiously. It's all about the proper equipment and selection.
Member #81
Pitch Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:10 PM   #13
CATCH AND EAT
King Salmon

Mel and Pitch Pocket I agree. Pick your days, be equiped, wear pfd's. If you have never crossed take someone with ya that has. They are a valuable resource. You should not have to wear brown pants on your 1st try.

I always listen to NOAA and call the CG before heading out for a bar report. Then I radio out to see if someone can give a person to person report too. Then I judge it for myself.

FM you are right too. Good fishing in this area this year. But, there is just something about the ocean that I love. [img]graemlins/hearton.gif[/img]

Be pompous, obese, and eat cactus
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent
Criticize things you don't know about
Be oblong and have your knees removed
CATCH AND EAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:10 PM   #14
Terry H
Chromer

ID...I couldn't agree more with the good replies on this post.
People like Mel[msB]and FM have been there before.
The bottom line is"USE YOUR HEAD'.I've seen boats line up at b10 waiting for the bar to open.Many of these boats were 20 or less. Last summer I went out with a friend on his 48,we were amazed at the #of small boats that were waiting to cross.That day the bar beat us up pretty good in A 48 FOOTER.
I have been fishing the salt over 40 years and have never seen a fish worth the risk some people take.
Now, don't get me wrong,some of the best days in my memory and some of the best fishing in my experience have been on the salt.But rermember,it's way better to turn around and go home to the ones whe need you there, than tough it out for the chance of being a hero and taking home a meal.
Don't be afraid of the big water-----but respect it and don't challange it------IT WILL WIN !!!!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:23 PM   #15
Tunamaster
Cutthroat

Mr. Painter,
I would say that the crowd on this board is very knowledgeable on this subject. Some of the stories are exciting and intimidating. The general rules are to be prepared, of course. Have the usual safety equipment. This means at the very least a watertight handheld VHS radio and a comfortable float coat. Flotation is the single biggest factor in most cases of survival, or lack of it, in my estimation. I feel that another important safety tool is a good anchor that will catch well in sand. If you lose power, it can save you from drifting onto the spit or into the shipping channel or breakers. Always run with a partner. Anyone boating in the lower river needs to understand the role that the weather and tides play in determining the safety of boating conditions. But.......Probably the best advice I can give is to get to know some of the people on this board with good and safe seagoing craft. They will be tickled to take you out for a trip of ocean fishing, especially if you return the favor with a good Snake or Clearwater tip or trip, or a hunting outing in the great state of Idaho. It is great to find people who share common interests and are passionate about their pursuits. My Dad says it is harder to find a good reliable hunting and fishing partner than it is to find a spouse! I have learned to appreciate this wisdom! If you bring your 17 footer, you can get into some excellent sturgeon holes inside the river that the big boats can't. To the guys/gals on the board: Sorry for the delay on my story. I do not own a computer, so I can't always log on as often as I would like. I live to hunt and fish. Love to whack ol' banjo eyes, too! I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that the "Tunamaster" moniker was the result of a slip of the fillet knife after too many celebratory spirits following a successful trip several years ago. Apparently I cut , or came close to cutting, a gentleman next to me who was filleting a salmon. I hope he has forgiven me! Thankfully, I can't remember the episode. My designated driver has not let me forget, however. Lastly - A Big THANK YOU goes out to the USCG! These guys are local heroes. They have saved many fishermen and duck hunters in the river and ocean, including my grandfather.
Tunamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:29 PM   #16
get hooked
Steelhead

Id, I've been in the Coast Guard and had duty in the Motorlife boats that sit on the bar and watch as boats of all sizes cross. Like most posts before #1 use your head. Look, listen. and make a good judgement. As far as a 17 footer going over Columbia bar.... Definitly go by the tides. Cross on the incoming side of the low ebb and come back before or at high slack. Also the amount of runoff from high to low makes a big difference. The more runoff, the worse the bar will be. Then you have to throw in the weather forecast. I think with a 17 footer though I would have to NOT recommend going over the Columbia bar. I feel my 19 footer is at the low end of being safe as far as the boat is concerned. An always have as much safety equipment on board as reasonably possible. Take caution in what ever you decide. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:32 PM   #17
KingFisher85
Sturgeon

All I have to say is that one minute it will be so flat that you could cross in a rubber raft, then the next minute you have unexpected high winds and 20+ foot waves. I have seen it out there in blue bird days and low winds and also see 2 or 3 boats go down one right after another with in 10 minute. All cause the unexpected happens.
KingFisher85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 04:38 PM   #18
fishinfool
Chromer

ID,
Well I cross the bar in an 18 footer but I pick my days. I can't say I havn't had those days where I questioned my sanity for being out there but I will do it again. I am not dangerous and I feel I have a commitment to my wife and family to return safely everyday and if that means not going out so be it. I took a friend out last year and we got to the bar and I decided it wasn't worth it, sure he was upset as he had wanted to fish the ocean but it was my choice as I am responsible for him and me and that commitment I mentioned earlier. Like Mel said earlier it is an escape for me and I would do it even if the fishing were closed. Something about being on the big blue. You mentioned earlier that you read the history of "THE BAR" :shocked: so you know it has taken down ships so I question anybody who thinks they are safer just because they are in a bigger boat, as it all comes down to smarts, being prepared and yes even a lil luck. Just trust your feelings and do only what you are comfortable with. I have crossed many times in my 18 footer and my grandpa's 17 footer, doesn't mean it is right but we have done it! :grin: And oh yea we will definitely do it again.
fishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 05:03 PM   #19
GutshotApe
Ifish Nate

Something I learned last year is: Don't assume the guy you go fishing at the mouth of the Columbia knows what he's doing just because its his boat.

An old friend invited me last Oct. and we launched at Chinook. He told me on the way to the launch "I've got a full tank of gas in the boat."

We got out to the hotspot (he'd been limiting on coho there for the previous month) and I noticed the gas guage needle was bouncing on "E". Hey, I yelled, your gas guage must be broken cuz is says "empty". No, he said, it works perfectly. Hmm.......pretty soon the motor is missing so we reel in and my buddy makes a few high speed passes to "clean out the jets". I tell him we need to head in and just as we hit the outer Chinook channel we run out of gas. No trolling motor, so break out the oars & paddles - except all he had was a little 3' plastic kiddie paddle. If worse comes to worse, we can always radio the CG - except no radio. Well, the tide was at least coming in so we anchored in the channel and waited for a tow. Yes, there was an anchor - all of 5 pounds of it - but no rope. Found two s***** about 10' each and got anchored. I remarked "its a good thing the tide's coming in or we'd be swept downstream to the bar" - and pointed to the whitewater breakers stretching from Oregon side to the WA side. My buddy said "that's not the bar, the bar is farther out". Fortunately another boat came by and towed us in to the dock. Saved!

Over the years this friend and I have had a lot of fishing & hunting experiences and at least our share of close calls. This trip ended well but could have easily turned out much differently.

If you go to the Columbia mouth be sure you have two motors, full fuel tanks, a radio, a chart, tidetable, flares, good PFDs and a good anchor and 150' or more anchor line.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:28 PM   #20
fishwhenican
Chromer

All good points, one more thing, I always warm up the kicker before I cross the bar. That way --one pull and it will go to full throttle NOW! not in a little while
Old 12-03-2002, 05:31 PM   #21
finclipped
Tuna!

GSA, you need outfit your friend....I think If I was in your position, there would have been a some *ss chewing going on. I know some get complacent, but this is no place to be *crewing around.

I think with experience comes knowledge and this is a great fishery that should be experienced by all (at least once). I agree with everything being said, carry two of everything especially a kicker motor and a second bilge. I also have a VHF, cell phone, depth finder, GPS, compass, but what makes me most comfortable is the fact the Coast Guard is there if you need them.

Avoid the Ebb tide and never be afraid to turn around and head back to the launch. Watching the weather reports and the buoy conditions will help determine when conditions are good, but even when things look good, I don't determine if I am going out until I see the bar. Never let anyone push you into going out when your not comfortable doing so.

Some people (myself included) really enjoy this type of fishing and the offshore salmon fishing can be Fantastic!!!!!
finclipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:08 PM   #22
fishbait

ID Painter,
I have an 18 foot boat and have been crossing the CR bar for over 20 years but I would NEVER do it in my boat. NEVER. For me it's simple, it's just not worth the risk to catch what 3 -4, 15 or 25 (on a great day) salmon. Why, when there are so many SAFE places to fish in boats like ours. I catch way too many salmon each year to risk my life for a few or a few dozen........... my 0.02 worth

Member # 287

Mortgage Loan Originator, NMLS # 88726
Direct line 971.250.4510
http://40009.stearnshomeloans.com/st...e.php?id=13040

Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but rather by how many times something takes your breath away.

Lifetime member of NW Steelheaders
Proud Member CCA
fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:39 PM   #23
GutshotApe
Ifish Nate

Finclipped - Yeah, I should have known better because I've hunted & fished with this guy since the 1960s and this wasn't the first time his boat has conked out [img]graemlins/1zhelp.gif[/img] . A moderate asschewing was delivered but they never seems to have any lasting effect . You can bet I won't go out in his boat again in a place like that without asking more questions first and checking equipment. Better yet, we'll take my boat that has 2 motors, oars, anchor and rope, radio, etc, etc, etc the next time we fish the "Graveyard of the Pacific" .
Old 12-03-2002, 07:52 PM   #24
BottomFeeder
Steelhead

ID. painter,

The bar certainly isn't the only concern for that area. Wind waves that build on the ebb tides can and do sink 20+ ft vessels. If you have never experienced these waves you aren't missing anything. They are just aweful and they just keep coming one after another. I was caught in them one day before I "got lernt". I was so happy when I made it back to Hammond alive and well that I sprawled out on the boat dock and we just held one another for a while (me and the dock). You should watch your biscuits out there you could wind up in Davey Jones' locker pretty quick.

-BottomFeeder
BottomFeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 07:55 PM   #25
Miss B Haven
King Salmon

GSA said " If you go to the Columbia mouth be sure you have two motors, full fuel tanks, a radio, a chart, tidetable, flares, good PFDs and a good anchor and 150' or more anchor line."

I would add gps, compass, radar and depth finder. All key Navigation tools. Don't leave home without 'em. When the fog rolls in you'll be using every single one.

Old 12-03-2002, 09:35 PM   #26
skein
is on the big blue pond again

Painter,

I've spent a lot of summers at Port McNeil, camped out at Cluxewe. My license plate is even CLXEWE, although nobody down here knows what it stands for. :grin:

How long has your dad been living up there? Do you go often? This year was a bad 'un for us, what with the one-fish limit on bottom fish (we chose not to fish for them at all) and the tough regs on coho and springs. I felt like we left good fishing to go to mediocre fishing. We did catch a couple off the wall and a few small springs off Baer Point, but our best fishing was out of Coal Harbor up Quatsino Sound.

I wonder if I've ever run across your dad? Does he ever go to the Clux for the flyfishing?

Skein
Old 12-03-2002, 09:43 PM   #27
Tilla
King Salmon

This is the situation with the bar. Very few people understand the physics of waves, swell, dwell, depth, wind, water speed etc. These all interact at the mouth of the Columbia. The best way you can survive is:
1. Be lucky.
2. Lot's of Experience.(and be lucky)
3. Do what ever everyone else is doing.(and be lucky)
4. Get a 6 year engineering degree that covers these topics. (and be lucky)
5. Get a really huge boat. (and be lucky)
6. Get lots of safety gear and electronics. (and be lucky)
So come on out and give it a try. I would rather be hiking up Bear Cr. on the far side of Palisides Res and flyfish for Trout or float tube fishing the lakes south of Malad.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:46 PM   #28
Flatfish
King Salmon

Some friends are ex commercial trollers. They all have some hair raising stories about the ocean itself. They all have some good tales of random bar crossings all along the coast. They all speak of the big river with great respect. Not quite fear, but pretty close for such a brave group. If it makes the pros nervous, it flat out scares me.
That said, too many folks have made it to bouy 1 and back to say it is impossible. But I am not much of a gambling man. When I go, I do Tillamook or Nehalem.At least there, it is a small area. The big C is huge and they get going in too many directions for my tastes.

Good Luck.

Mark and the dog.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 10:53 PM   #29
Tacklebuster
Sturgeon

I have crossed the bar about a dozen times or more in my 19 foot sled. I have had pretty good crossings so far. I will only cross in the morning when I can make a round trip on an incoming tide. I will not tackle her when she is ebbing. I also will not hit the bar if the ocean conditions are not right for my boat. Any more than 7 combined are too rough for my boat. I simply can't resist her when the seas are calling for a 4 or less combined with a morning flood and no NW winds. The ocean is a resource that we can use but always respect.
Tacklebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 04:44 AM   #30
dampainter
Ifish Nate

people die on that bar, and you ask if your father is being overly cautious?? "positive" stories to someone who is inexperienced is asking for trouble, go over the bar with someone who is experienced or don`t go at all. there are other area`s to catch a fish.

[ 12-04-2002, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: dampainter ]
Old 12-04-2002, 06:41 AM   #31
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

Complacency kills, it's that simple.

When I see people follow a charter boat out into the fog or read stories about running out of gas, I think about the Columbia bar.

So if you can learn enough about how tides work and how to read the weather you can reduce your risks to a minimum.

The Columbia estuary and ocean nearby are rich waters. The draw is understandable. Mel, I would go too, just for the boat ride. But I pick my battles carefully.

Incoming tide.

Think 'what is the weather and tide going to be like 4 hours from now'. If you don't know or the trend is bad, don't go.

So enough advice, you will go or not.

A good story was what you asked for so here goes.

Summer 2000 we made 2 runs out to the spark plug in one day. We started early on a 1/4 moon day (minimal tides) and crossed the bar at first light. Straight to the CR bouy and then west looking for 60 fathom water. There was no wind and the bar was flat.

We caught salmon right from the first drop. Depth did not matter and 2 or 3 on at once was the rule. Kings on the surface, coho down deep ... all backwards but just fish-on after fish-on. As has been mentioned elsewhere the fish are in the whole river. The difference with the ocean salmon is that they are voraciously feeding. If you have not experienced a full on salmon bite, you should try it.

We got 4 of 6 possible fish and and many throw backs and decided to do something else. The ocean was like a lake and we felt like we could go anywhere and do anything. We crossed the bar and ran up to the Desdemona shoal to the piling hole off of Hammond.

Again the bar was minimal even on an ebb. The ebb is something to avoid most of the time. This is when the bar builds to a boat killer. When the river current is low and the tide is small the bar is minimal, most days.

We fished for sturgeon until the tide turned and began to flood. After a few sculpins, the bite turned on and we quickly bagged a limit of 4 footers. After burning up all the smelt and having a sturgeon festival we pulled up to leave.

But we were not done yet. It was late afternoon and still no wind. "Hey let's go get the last 2 salmon". So back out we went again. This time to bouy 1. Still no bar. The first 2 salmon in the boat and done. Now the magic happened. We shut the boat off and drifted, surrounded by Dahl porpoise, jumping and playing. The sun edged into the sea and we went back home.

A magic day and Mel will tell you it's all about the magic.

But that same water can be very unfriendly.

Pick your day carefully and read the good advice offered by the other posters. You should be afraid of this place. That fear will keep you safe.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:58 AM   #32
id. painter
Ifish Nate

Thanks so much everyone. I do now have a 20 ft. Hewes Craft sea runner, with all the extras.Last summer i crossed the bar on two different days (no trouble) (knocking on wood).I love the ocean.. There is nothing quite like it . I was raised fishing out of Tinidad(sp) ,bay Calf. We fished it for many yeas in a 16ft Glasspar , im really not a complete beginner. But my senses were telling me that crossing the bar is always a gamble , and i needed to hear your (very experienced opinions).I Thanks again to all. A special note to( Skein). My father is a retired Nuclear Physicist. He only fishes the salt, around his place. He has built an awsome home on Broad Point,(three miles south of Port McNiel). The spring and tyhee fish dribble through all summer. there really isnt an absolute best time to fish . You sort of need to live there , to always get into the fish. One year is great at the end of June and the next it may be in the middle of july. the bottom fish in that area have been getting over fished for about ten years and they are starting to see the effects.The springs came early last year , a friend of me fathers reported releasing over 50 chinook one day.In the month of sept. the big Coho come in and 14-15lb. fish are common. They will open it to keep one hatchery silver per day, maybe two next summer. The ling fishing is still great and the Halibut are great on the west side .If you take a boat from Port Mcniel and drive to Telegraph cove you cant miss my fathers place ,it sits right on the water, and its the biggest looking home on that stretch. It is a couple miles north of Alder Bay...Lots of windows , he cleared 4 acres and left two in timber.You really cant miss it . I try to be there each year in the middle of Augest. The pinks come in and its a 90 mile boat ride to Rivers Inlet, Lots of 50 - 60 lb. fish. Last year i spent 5 days of solid fishing and landed at least 100 salmon, (Pinks ,Coho and chinook, one 30lb. Each summer all the friend and family that visit, get to land a 30+ fish. So, you may have been there at just the wrong time . Beare Pt. is a favorite spot of my fathers and is 25 miles from his home. id. painter
Old 12-04-2002, 07:25 AM   #33
lost_sailor
King Salmon

Big river meets big ocean.

My dad crossed the bar countless times, but would never hesitate to turn around - he knew what his limits were. That was a 24' cruiser with two big engines.

I've crossed the bar in 20' swells, and that 24' boat gets REALLY SMALL.

And just because you can get out doesn't mean you can get back in - I had to spend a long pukey day on a sloppy ocean after the CG closed the bar until high slack.

It's your choice. I would want at least 18' feet of boat on a perfect day, lots of freeboard, two reliable engines, GPS, VHF, PFD, and a crusty old mate with about 20 years of CR bar experience. But then I'm overly cautious about that "continuing to live" thing ...
Old 12-04-2002, 07:39 AM   #34
Miss B Haven
King Salmon

Skein/id. painter - If you know Port McNiel you must know Echo Bay. Spent two great weeks up there. It's been to long, would love to go back. I've got a bud who is a member of the "Echo Bay Yacht Club". Hehe - not much of a club, they had to shut the bar down years ago. Seems the loggers/indians and yachties couldn't stay out of fights. The clubhouse/restraunt went to heck after the bar closed.
It was a great time . Love to go again and do more exploring this time. Last trip I was tied to echo bay (7 folks- two boats- motel room etc). Man - the fishing is OK but just motoring around in those islands is worth the trip. Only downside up there is that good anchorages are really hard to come by.
We'll have to swap some stories about that area/trips! :grin: I got a couple!

Old 12-04-2002, 08:10 AM   #35
id. painter
Ifish Nate

Mis B. Haven. Yes it is really beautyful up there. My fathers home is situated so that if you stand on his back deck you are looking out across to Alert bay.I know Echo bay is also right there , but cant place it in my head .... tooo many bays and coves . Bouble bay, Mitchelle bay on and on and on.... If you havent been up there with your own boat , you need to . Whale watching is awsome and so much water. The fishing is still fishing and you can never really predict when and where it will be hot. For kids the beaches are great , no breakers to worry about and lots of sea life in the tidal pools. id. painter.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:14 AM   #36
Miss B Haven
King Salmon

id.painter said: "I know Echo bay is also right there , but cant place it in my head .... tooo many bays and coves . "

I rest my case! :grin: [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]

Actually - Echo bay has a store, docks, fuel dock and Motel (along with the defunct lodge). Store is built on an old section of one of the floating bridge from Seattle area.
Across the bay there's another dock with a art gallery (in the middle of nowhere - weird). She also sells fresh local made pies (yummm).
It's located on the NE edge of one of the biggest Islands up there - starts with "G" - can't place the name right now. It's SE out of McNiel, tucked in behind some smaller Islands that protect it from the open water/end of Queen Charlotte Straight.

[ 12-04-2002, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]