Waldport - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
5N5
Coho

Default Waldport

I'm planning on going crabbing at Alsea Bay this Friday and was thinking of going Surf Perch Fishing beforehand. I have heard crabbing has been picking up in the bay but have not heard any reports about fishing. I have never fished for surf perch in the area so any general sites would be helpful. I will be fishing around low tide if that matters. If surf perch fishing has not been good, any other suggestions? I have about two hours to fish before we start crabbing (I could also fish from the boat while crabbing, any suggestions as what to use for bait and/or methods would be helpful since I am usually a bank fisher). PM's welcomed. Thanks in advance.

5N5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
5N5
Coho

Default Re: Waldport

Any suggestions/pointers?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
flatlander
Chromer

Surf Perch fishing has been good from Ona Beach to Seal Rock lately. Let us know how your crabbing trip works out. I'll be staying away till the weekend is over. Please be safe and enjoy your visit
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Siwash
Ifish Nate

Don't know squat about targeting surf perch, but my bro and I tried fishing in the bay once before and quickly gave up as there was just too much crabbing traffic. I'd guess it'd be the same scene this weekend, but perhaps if you hit the right tide swings the crabbers will have thinned out.
Siwash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
boilerbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siwash View Post
Don't know squat about targeting surf perch, but my bro and I tried fishing in the bay once before and quickly gave up as there was just too much crabbing traffic. I'd guess it'd be the same scene this weekend, but perhaps if you hit the right tide swings the crabbers will have thinned out.
Think Buoy 10 is a madhouse? Was in Waldport Sunday for Salty Dog's famous fries and if the demolition derby that was going on then is any indication of this coming weekend, you will be lucky to find enough free water to drop a pencil in. North Rivers banging drift boats, broken engines at the docks, ancient monster glass hulls running from Mckinney's to under the bridge. Stacked like cordwood in front of the jaws and trailers going half way back up the street to Ray's Market.
....But the crabs were legal, heavy, male and hard and seemed to be that everyone was happy.
boilerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
flatlander
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerbay View Post
Think Buoy 10 is a madhouse? Was in Waldport Sunday for Salty Dog's famous fries and if the demolition derby that was going on then is any indication of this coming weekend, you will be lucky to find enough free water to drop a pencil in. North Rivers banging drift boats, broken engines at the docks, ancient monster glass hulls running from Mckinney's to under the bridge. Stacked like cordwood in front of the jaws and trailers going half way back up the street to Ray's Market.
....But the crabs were legal, heavy, male and hard and seemed to be that everyone was happy.

That's what I ment to say. But hey, Waldport needs all the help they can get. Good folks live there and the air is fresh and free
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 AM   #7
boilerbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
That's what I ment to say. But hey, Waldport needs all the help they can get. Good folks live there and the air is fresh and free
Absolutely! Great little town. Forgot to suggest ocean perch off the sand of Governor Patterson park -- 2 miles, 6 minutes from Waldport Bridge -- can walk north to the south jaws of Alsea Bay for perch or surf cast those triangle crab traps off a pole. They use them all the time at Taft (Siltetz jaws). Also the ocean surf fishing access point off of Perch Street (for real), Yachats, about 7 miles, 16 minutes from bridge.
boilerbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
5N5
Coho

Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't even think about it being labor day weekend, maybe Friday won't be too bad? We actually only picked this weekend because then we can stay the night in Newport and drive to the Beaver game Saturday morning on our way back to Portland rather than making two round trips. I'll send a report once back, and go Beavs!