Stevens Marine Boat Doc' - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Notices

Old 12-04-2003, 07:59 AM   #1
Boat Doc'

Default Stevens Marine Boat Doc'

We tryed this once and I didn't respond in the correct format. So here we go again. We will try to answer all maintenance or mechanical related questions within a day or two excluding weekends and holidays.

Boat Doc' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2003, 08:30 AM   #2
Jennie@ifish
AdminiMom

Default Re: Stevens Marine Boat Doc\' Forum

But-- You can do it, right here on the main forum! The Boat Doc forum went "POOF!" and now, we are just going to do it on the main board. :smile:

I think it will be more fun that way! :smile:

Dear Boat Doc:

How come Bill won't buy me a boat?

Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:33 AM   #3
El-Kabong
King Salmon

Location: Out on the edge of an empty highway, Howling at the blood on the moon

Boat Doc,

I have an 89 60Hp merc. Wanted to know what you think about adding a fuel/water seperator. Worth it? Does it change the fuel line pressure enough to cause problems?

Thanks
El Kabong

[ 12-04-2003, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: El-Kabong ]
Team Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
El-Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
Barviewrocks
Chromer

Boat Doc answered my question by email. Is it okay to post the original question and answer? Should I?
Barviewrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:55 AM   #5
Keta

[img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] Welcome aboard Boat Doc' [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2003, 10:23 AM   #6
chummer
Sturgeon

Dear Boat Doc, Why are sport-jets so hard to start? If I have'nt run mine in 3 -4 days, it seems to take forever to fire. Is there a sure fire starting sequence that will speed things up a bit? I occasionally run a bottle of the quicksilver fuel system cleaner.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:08 PM   #7
CAGEY
Tuna!

hi Boat Doc, welcome aboard. Also want to thank Stevens Marine Jeff for all the help he gave me :whazzup: on the repair of my boat.

My question is as follows.

My motor has always started right away. After they started with the ocygennated junk it starts kinda hard. Once started i can tell no difference.

Is that stuff that bad for marine engines? :whazzup:
Old 12-04-2003, 01:04 PM   #8
5-Cents
King Salmon

I [img]graemlins/hearton.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hearton.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hearton.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/hearton.gif[/img] Stevens Marine!

Can I schedule my maintence appointments with you boat doc?

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:14 PM   #9
LazerFisher
Steelhead

Dear Boat Doc,

I have an 18hp Envinrude Fastwin that I am rebuilding and would like to know if you or someone else down at Stevens can help me tune it correctly....? This model still has the rich, lean mixture adjustments knobs and is a real bear to get set correctly.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:16 PM   #10
WaterDog
King Salmon

James, You have a choke? :whazzup: Mine is an 01 and the manual specifically states, "turn key starting, choke is automatic". Pushing in the key does nothing. [img]graemlins/1zhelp.gif[/img]

Team River Wild
WaterDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:47 PM   #11
Chromaflage
King Salmon

Welcome Boat Doc! Already looks like you're going to be busy :grin: I wonder how long it will take for this thread to catch up with the word association thread on LIG.

ORS
Old 12-04-2003, 03:46 PM   #12
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Waterdog, i lost my manual, but when i took the boat out with Siglers he showed me to push in 20 seconds first. i could be wrong too but i am pretty sure. when i push in for 20 seconds it usually will start on the second or third turn.

Lets see what the boat doc says.

peace, love, happiness, and fishing

Wu-tang fishing clan
fishing is life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:57 PM   #13
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Good question chummer, myne never starts on the first fire when cold, even if i choke the thing for 20 seconds before turning. Myne is a 2001 175 sportjet.

Wu-tang fishing clan
Old 12-05-2003, 01:00 PM   #14
Boat Doc'

Quote:
Originally posted by Jennie@ifish:
But-- You can do it, right here on the main forum! The Boat Doc forum went "POOF!" and now, we are just going to do it on the main board. :smile:

I think it will be more fun that way! :smile:

Dear Boat Doc:

How come Bill won't buy me a boat?

Jen
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">
Old 12-05-2003, 02:03 PM   #15
Boat Doc'

Okay here goes. I'm going to answer these this way for now.By the way neither Stevens Marine or i-fish are responsible for loss or damage as a result of opinions offfered on this forum.
To Jen- Darn my crystal ball just broke. Iwould have to refer you to Bill.
To El-Kabong-The addition of a good quality water seperating fuel filter should be used on any application using multiple fuel tanks or built in tanks. It would be recommended only one filter be used besides whatever the manufacturer supplied with engine. And no you shouldn't experience any restrictions on a system in good operating order.
Regarding hard starting Sport Jets, after sitting they lose there prime. Since these are in effect inboard engines they cannot have a primer in the engine compartment. The newer models have an electric fuel pump that primes the engine only while engine is cranking to assist in cold starting. Older engines require the engines mechanical pump to pull the fuel to engine which can take a while. You could add an electric fuel pump to system that must be Coast Guard approved and limited to 3 psi output.
Oxygenated fuel shouldn't effect the starting of engines. I would guess there is some other problem like the choke not closing fully. Todays engines are desighned to run on those fuels. Engines prior to approx.1986 may experience problems with rubber components.
So far as scheduling service please call the store and the service counter guys can help you.
On the 18 Evinrude, we can't service them for you. However if you have two mixture adjustments you set them as follows. Low speed which is the top one, screw it in to a lightly seated position and back out 1.5 turns. High speed which is the bottom one is 3/4 turn out from lightly seated position. Run it in gear under load, adjust high speed in until it starts to die then back out until it runs smooth. Slow down to idle and adjust low speed in until it slows down or starts to cough and back off until it smooths out. That's all there is to it.
Lastly back to Sportjet- none of them have a choke that is controlled by the key switch. Pushing in the key switch does nothing. They do have an enrichener valve that is controlled by a temperature sender in engine head and the engines computer.

Hope this answers everyones questions for now Doc'
Old 12-05-2003, 02:17 PM   #16
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon

Boat Doc - Glad you are up and posting on ifish.

I have never owned an inboard/outboard boat, only outboards. How hard is it to change out an outdrive on a inboard/outboard boat? Are special tools required? They look like you could just unbolt it and bolt a new one on, but I cant see what is inside until I actually try to take one apart?

Usually I have no problem with taking anything apart, figuring it out, putting it back together, tossing the extra parts and proceeding.

Is it impossible without getting special tools or can a reasonably mechanical person figure it out?

[ 12-05-2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Bait O' Eggs ]
Old 12-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #17
Lured In
Sturgeon

Boat Doc...you may have just solved one of the greatest mysteries surrounding the SportJets.

What a great start and thank you! [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] :grin:
Old 12-05-2003, 03:16 PM   #18
WaterDog
King Salmon

No mystery about the sportjet choke, READ your manual.

Back to the question, so why is the sportjet so darn cold blooded? :whazzup: Is there a fix?

Team River Wild
Old 12-05-2003, 03:51 PM   #19
Tilla
King Salmon

Doc,
I hear that outboards with jets should be started in gear. Is this true and why?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:03 PM   #20
Flatfish
King Salmon

Doc,

every time I make a whiskey sour, it comes out too sour. What should I do?

J/k.

Hopefully our very busy doctor will be able to post some answers here, so I can learn for free. [img]graemlins/program.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img]

Mark and the crooked eyed dog.

[ 12-05-2003, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:23 PM   #21
fortywinks
Chromer

Roy - maybe you should toss those leftover parts into a coffee can and leave it in the boat, along with some string, zip-ties, old broom handles, and duct tape. You never know when they might come in handy
Old 12-05-2003, 07:49 PM   #22
Gun Rod Bow

Flatfish,

I will answer this one since I have some experience...leave out the sour, ice cubes will melt Simplicity baby!

Boat Doc,

1. On a 1992 200 hp Merc Jet (From Stevens) would you recomend removal of shoe, sharpening impellar, re-shimming, at home with some basic mechanical skills? How often?

2. I have heard that the Auto Blend thingies for kickers are not recomended. I love my 2 stroke 8 hp Merc kicker, I hate (strong word I know) the extra tank. Any suggestions for Auto blends for kickers?

THX
Old 12-06-2003, 05:05 PM   #23
timinthegorge
Ifish Nate

Welcome Boat Doc..... I bought my '03 Stryker from Steven's in Tigard and I've had good service, and great reliability..... I couldn't be happier!

Good luck with your Ifish experience..... Tim
Old 12-06-2003, 06:22 PM   #24
Plum Crazy
Chromer

TTT Love this stuff keep it up DOC- Waiting for the reply on Outboard Pumps. I alway thought Neutral is the place to be since your only moving a plate changing the direction of the jet's output,Forward and Reverse right :whazzup:
Fire
Plum Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 07:02 PM   #25
fishoman
Coho

[img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] Boat Doc: This is way cool, thank You.I have an 88 merc 8hp ss that gets fuel to the carb, but thats as far as it goes. It will start with starting fluid. Does this carb have a float, if so how hard is it to repair.Could the injector be plugged.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:30 PM   #26
Beancounter
Coho

Hi Boat Doc, welcome.

My 2000 5hp Honda starts right up, runs great for about 10-15 minutes and then dies. I tilt it up, losen the little gas drain on the fuel line, a little gas runs out. Then it starts right up again, runs 15-20 minutes and stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Beancounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:43 AM   #27
chummer
Sturgeon

Going back to the sport-jet quandry, would installing a squeeze bulb primer in the fuel line help speed the starting process??
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:02 PM   #28
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the help Boat Doc. I would like to see what you say about chummers question. I just would prefer to save the starter for the future.

Wu-tang fishing clan
Old 12-08-2003, 03:39 PM   #29
salmonman
Cutthroat

Boat Doc,
I have a Bayliner model 1950. My question has to do with winterizing. Is it sufficient protection against a cracked block to just disconnect the block and manifold drain hoses and let the water drain out? I'm assuming it is, but just wanted to check that I did not have to run antifreeze through the engine when storing for the winter.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:29 AM   #30
Boat Doc'

To Bait o Eggs, Yes outdrives are easily removed with basic tools. If replacing one you must use same model and gear ratio.
Tilla, All jet drives are always in gear, they use a diverter to redirect water flow to accomplish neutral and reverse. On outboards there is no true neutral as shift adjustments are made when all the way in forward gear. Some inboard jets do have an adjustment to provide for a true neutral.When starting your outboard jet I would recommend starting it on the trailer, tyed securely at the dock or with the boat pointed in direction to avid collision if the boat should lurch forward or backward when started.
Flatfish, what works for me is more whiskey and a bottle of aspirin for the morning.
gunrodbow,all outboard jets should periodically be checked for proper shimming and have the impeller sharpened. We set the clearance around .010 measured at three points. The symptoms of this needing to be done would be slower than normal acceleration and oor a lack of top end. There is no real time frame-It would depend on how it is being used. Regarding automatic oilers, I have seen numerous engine failures from oilers. It seems as they age they can start to mix oil at ratios greater than 50:1 and at times no oil at all. As a result we do not recommend the use of them. The old Auto blends seemed to work well, but the Accu-mix is the one that had problems. Only other recommendation at this time is a 4-stroke.
fishoman and beancounter, sounds like you both have carbureator and or stuck float or needle problems. They need to be carefully disasembled and thoroughly cleaned.
chummer, primer bulb is one answer BUT it does not meet Coast Guard regulations, you will create a fire and explosion hazard. The previous recommendation of Coast Guard approved electric fuel pump still applies.
salmonman, you don't say if you have fresh water cooling. If you don't you must drain both sides of block, both manifolds, oil cooler and remove large hose where it attachs to water pump.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:43 PM   #31
FishinMission
Sturgeon

Boat Doc... I got a 2001 200 Merc that Stevens installed..tiller setup. The alarm horn is not working. Where is it? And how do I check it out??

Mark
FishinMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #32
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Boat Doc, if possible can you quote an estimate on what a fuel pump for the sportjet like the one you described would cost?

Wu-tang fishing clan
Old 12-10-2003, 12:10 PM   #33
Boat Doc'

To all of you regarding hard starting sport jets. Let me start out by saying that neither Stevens Marine or i-fish are responsible for any loss or damage as a result of opinions offered in this forum. You can wire the stock fuel primer pump to a momentary switch. You would need #10 wire long enough to go were ever you decide to mount a switch. Also a waterproof momentary switch. The circuit needs to be protected by a 3 amp fuse. Disconnect the primer from its existing power supply on the starter motor side of starter solenoid and wire the switch with 3 amp fuse werever you like to control it. Before starting the engine I would run the pump for about 5-10 seconds or until you hear the pump bog down. Keep in mind this a modification of the product. If you are not comfortable doing this DON'T. Get somebody who is. If your motor is not equipped with a primer an electric fuel pump runs about 250.00. Holley makes a Coast Guard approved one.
To Fishin mission. Your 200 has a horn that is located next to key switch inside the tiller. to test the horn locate the temperature sender on the stbd. cylinder head. Follow the brown wire with blue stripe to the terminal block it attaches to on stbd. side of motor. With the key on motor not running jump between brown-blue stripe wire and ground. The horn should sound. If it does system is functioning normally, if it doesn't you need to get it checked out. There again if you are not comfortable doing this DON'T.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:36 PM   #34
Tagster
Ifish Nate

Wow!

Boat Doc, thank you for your eforts with this...

I really appreciate your time.

[img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]

I am impressed.

Tag
Tagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:46 PM   #35
WaterDog
King Salmon

Finally!!! An answer I can work with. And no, Stevens and ifish is not responsible for any damage incurred.

Realize that anyone that chooses to do this mod my void their warranty! Proceed at your own risk. :smile:

Guess I got a weekend project now. :grin:

Thanks boat doc.

Team River Wild
Old 12-10-2003, 01:07 PM   #36
FishinMission
Sturgeon

Thanx, BoatDoc...I'm certainly comfortable doing that..especially after R&R ing a crank (successfully..I might ad) from a prior 200 Merc.

I hate elecrtical stuff tho.

Mark

[ 12-10-2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: FishinMission ]
Old 12-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #37
fishing is life
Ifish Nate

Boat Doc thanks for your informative suggestions. You get my business when i am ready.

By the way all, they have a better price on zincs with aluminum tabs for welding on the boat than West Marine. 16 bucks. West marine sells the zincs with steel tabs. [img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Wu-tang fishing clan
Old 12-13-2003, 09:49 AM   #38
FishinMission
Sturgeon

Boat Doc...

Looked up there inside the tiller ..next to the ig. switch...and all I have is the trim switch, ign. swith, and kill switch. I guess I shoulda mentioned that this is an older tiller setup from about '94 or'95. I'm thinkin' the horn is somewhere on the motor...as I sure don't see it in the tiller switch area.
Care to comment??
Mark
Old 12-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #39
Seefood Man
King Salmon

Welcome Boat Doc
My question is which is the most reliable a 225 Optimax or a 225 4stroke. Also if you were to buy one, with your hard earned money, which would pick for a 25 ft, 10 degree running a tiller and pump? Thanks in advance Doc
Seefood Man
Seefood Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 01:46 PM   #40
Pickles
Ifish Nate

ttt

I only fish and support sustainable fisheries.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 02:48 PM   #41
Fishplay
Ifish Nate

Another option on the sportjet fuel issue would be to extend your fuel supply line outside of the engine compartment; install the primer bulb and then route line back into compartment.

This is a very easy modification and the bulb can be mounted out of sight and harms way just beneath the gunnel.

No Warranty Void With This Method

Member #472

2272 Sea Raider
Fishplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:27 AM   #42
Boat Doc'

Regarding the tiller horn, if you ground the sender with the key on if it has a horn you will hear it.If it doesn't you can add one.

225 4-stroke or 225 Optimax? Both have been very reliable. Both would have about the same fuel economy,four stroke weighs a little more, four stroke is probably a little quieter. Four stroke doesn't require external oil reservoir. Opti has a less costly tiller and weighs less. Its like Ford Or Chevy.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:49 AM   #43
FishinMission
Sturgeon

Doc...I'ma thinkin' the horn doensn't work..as I've grounded it as you mentioned and nothing happens. I heard it when the motor first ran, but it quit after the first run (Yeah..I know..I shoulda took it back).

If the horn is shot, it obviously won't work...so my next move is to find it and replace it...but I'll be danged if I can find that sucker!!

Where else would/could it be??

Mark
Old 12-26-2003, 09:10 AM   #44
Boat Doc'

Fishinmission, on the tillers we use the horn is inside the tiller. If you feel along the bottom under the key switch it should stick down about 1/4 inch, its about an inch in diameter.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:50 AM   #45
FishinMission
Sturgeon

O.K..It isn't there. Guess I'm missing one.

Care to enlighten me on installing one??

Mark
Old 12-27-2003, 08:09 AM   #46
Mako King
Fry

Hey Boat Doc,

I have a 1998 Merc 200hp on my 21" Mako. Last summer I lost the "plastic" gear that drives my oil injection pump, forcing me to run a premix fuel. I really want to go back to injection but my mechanic up here scared me with the cost and the likely hood of it happening again. Isn't there a way to permenently replace a "plastic" gear with a better designed one? How much should I expect to pay for this kind of repair?

Thanks for any input you may have!! - oh yeah, also any other upgrades that should be done when the gear is being replaced?
Mako King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 12:55 PM   #47
Boat Doc'

FishinMission,Its easy to install, two wires and tie wrap it somewhere you can hear it over the noise of the engine if it should sound.

Mako King,cost of the oil gear replacement would be close to 700.00. What used to cause them to fail was the seal on the oil pump backing out and preloading the shaft that contacts the plastic gear causing it to strip. Later model pumps have the seal staked in so it will not come out. I would recommend replacing the pump and gear. After the repair you should continue with mixed fuel for a tank. Monitor oil level on tank in boat to make sure it is using oil.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:16 PM   #48
FishinMission
Sturgeon

Doc...Which two wires?? I don't wanna cut the wrong ones...it might blow up!!

Just kidding....but I'd still like to know which two wires to connect it to.

Thanx in advance.

Mark
Old 12-29-2003, 02:13 PM   #49
Salmon Stalker
Coho

Just what I needed....A boat Doctor. I have a Chev 250 w/ a merc outdrive. This summer I put in a new motor and took it out only about 5 days after the engine was replaced. I also replaced the water pump impeller in the outdrive so I had the outdrive off and in two pieces.
When I went to winterize the boat, I was going to drain the oil in the outdrive and replace. I found that there was water in the oil and then also noticed that the outdrive won't turn. It won't turn w/ the steering wheel or by pushing on the outdrive. It feels locked in place.
I drained the water from the block about a month before this, but am worried that the water in the outdrive oil froze and screwed up the outdrive or something. Can you help me with this?
Salmon Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #50
SR1 5
Steelhead

Boat Doc, My 8hp four stroke Evinrude kicker needs a new water pump impeller. I picked up a new impeller today. Can you give me any tips on the procedure to change this?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:40 AM   #51
boatfisher
Fry

Boat Doc,

I have a 2002 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot that probably has 100 hours on it. It always starts right up and runs smooth...Except for three times when it started running rough then died. Each time it has happened the motor has been trolling for at least an hour. After it dies it's hard to start, but once started and revved for a minute, it's fine again. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Boatfisher
boatfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:20 PM   #52
Boat Doc'

FishinMission, one wire is purple and the other is brown with a blue stripe-DO NOT CUT ANYTHING.these wires should be loose by the ignition switch, or locate the terminal block on starboard side of block, you will see those same wires and you can just add to them.

SalmonStalker,The best way to determine where the water came from is to pressure test the lower unit. You need 5-10 psi then listen or look for leaks. The most common areas are water pump seals, shift shaft seals and prop shaft seals. You could remove the outdrive and split the cases take it to a dealer and they could tell you what was leaking fairly inexpensively. As for your steering the most common place they stick is the support tube where the cable attaches to the transom plate. Have somebody try to turn the wheel with light pressure while you look in the back to see what is trying to move. It is probably the cable and not the outdrive. If it is below freezing it could just need to be thawed.It would be doubtful if any damage has occured from water in the outdrive.

Cutthroat, Remove cowl and look for the shift shaft that comes up from the gearcase at lower front of powerhead. Remove clip and clevis from shaft then remove the six bolts that hold the gearcase on. The water pump housing sits on top of the gearcase. When installing new impeller lightly coat the housing with grease and turn shaft clockwise while pushing down. On reassembly of gearcase it may be necessary to rotate flywheel to realighn splines.

Boatfisher, If this is a kicker application it sounds as if you are drawing fuel from the main engine instead of the fuel tank. A check valve in the fuel line going to the main engine would cure it. Could also be a fuel filter if you have not changed it. If you are running from a seperate tank I would check the vent to make sure it is open, if you still have problems try a different tank and hose to isolate engine from fuel supply. Could be engine fuel pump or fuel line primer bulb after above checks.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:34 PM   #53
Premo
Tuna!

I just bought a new 200 merc/jet tiller 2 stroke and it's a dog starting in the morning. Runs and starts great after the first start in the morning. What is the best starting procedure on this motor. Thanks

Ian
Old 12-31-2003, 06:39 AM   #54
Boat Doc'

Green Pirate, Squeeze the primer bulb till its hard. Turn key on and push in for a count of 10 before cranking. While still holding key in crank engine till it starts. It will be necessary to continue to push in occassionally as engine warms up. If started properly these engines will start in 2-3 revolutions.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:18 AM   #55
Bait O' Eggs
King Salmon

Boat Doc, I have a 94 yamaha 115 outboard, with the 703 controls to a front steering station. After I pump the bulb hard I push the key in while cranking to choke. I dont have a problem starting but should I also hold the key in for 10 seconds before cranking?? Is that just a Merc thing you are describing? What is accomplished while holding the key in and not cranking?

Sounds like you are warming up the glow plugs on a diesel [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 07:50 AM   #56
Boat Doc'

BaitOEggs,Some Merc models have a gravity fed enrichener system- when you push in the key it takes fuel from the top carb and lets it flow into the intake manifold. On your Yamaha the engine has to be cranking to allow the fuel to flow. So choking prior to cranking has no effect.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:53 AM   #57
Boat Doc'

BaitOEggs,Some Merc models have a gravity fed enrichener system- when you push in the key it takes fuel from the top carb and lets it flow into the intake manifold. On your Yamaha the engine has to be cranking to allow the fuel to flow. So choking prior to cranking has no effect.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:22 AM   #58
freespool
King Salmon

BoatDoc,I've got a 93 Yammi 225,should I avoid using oxygenated fuel? At present I'm going with Chevron primium as my fuel.

[ 01-02-2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Wame
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 09:36 AM   #59
Airborne
Chromer

Boat Doc,
I have a 97'40hp Mariner force with the Merc lower it seems to run fine but I dont think the previous owner ever really had it tuned up, and the water seems to spray and sputter out of the water exit holes is this normal or does it need a new impeller for the pump? It never seems to run hot or over heat. As for the tune is it just the standard replace the oil in the lower unit, plugs and ??? thanks for the service...

[ 01-02-2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Airborne ]
Old 01-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #60
Boat Doc'

Freespool, If you can avoid oxygenated fuel do so,in most areas it is all that is available.Using premium is good insurance against marginal quality fuels, however all of todays outboards are engineered to run on 87 octane or better unless otherwise stated in the owners manual. This would apply to engines manufactured after around 1988.

Airborne, Your engine is equipted with a warning horn that will sound if it should overheat, the holes at the back of the engine are back pressure releif holes to aid in idling at low speed. It would be common to see little or no water coming out of them. It would be advisable to replace water pump every couple years, as for the tune what you listed plus fuel filter would be standard items. If you are experiencing rough running characteristics then you would possibly need to do more.