kerplunking simon wobblers for columbia river salmon - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Wallywhacker
Steelhead

Default kerplunking simon wobblers for columbia river salmon

Hello:

Ive been steelhead fishing and see people casting out those simon wobblers with a big bobber to float it. Does anyone have pictures of how to tie this setup up? I watched 2 fish cought on these but did not see the setup. A picture would be great if anyone has one. Along with which colors work/swim best. I know....it depends on the day but what to start with? At 8 bucks a wack Im not gonna get 2 of each...

Thanks in advance

The salmon are here

I saw a HUGE one boated yesterday. So big was this fish that the guys went to shore for a picture afterwards.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
wayout
Sturgeon

Default Re: kerplunking simon wobblers for columbia river salmon

No pics, sorry. Rig your leader like this:

3ft section with duolock on 1 end, slide on a great big float (one of those big old foam ones), slide on a bead to protect the knot, then tie on a swivel.

Now tie on a 2 foot section to the other end of the swivel, tie a duolock on the bitter end.

Now you have a 5 ft leader ready to snap on your main line swivel or snap swivel as you prefer. Connect the 3 foot section to the main line. Connect the 2 foot section to the lure - Simons, brads, alvins, Clancy, K lures, etc.

On your slider you might also want to run a little longer dropper than you do for steelhead.

Casting tip 1: Usually you want to cast way out into deep water. Use a heavy pyramid weight like 14-16 oz and sling it upstream so it will come to rest directly in front of you.

Casting tip 2: Try large marshmallow on the hook to keep the hook from tangling on the dropper or the float or any of the duolock snaps. When the marshmallow pops to the surface you are fishing.

Don't buy 2 of each color, buy one of each, and buy a lot of the plain chrome and flat finish metal ones. Add tape to those...Zulu style.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #3
Wallywhacker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayout View Post

3ft section with duolock on 1 end, slide on a great big float (one of those big old foam ones), slide on a bead to protect the knot, then tie on a swivel.

Now tie on a 2 foot section to the other end of the swivel, tie a duolock on the bitter end.

Now you have a 5 ft leader ready to snap on your main line swivel or snap swivel as you prefer. Connect the 3 foot section to the main line. Connect the 2 foot section to the lure - Simons, brads, alvins, Clancy, K lures, etc.

On your slider you might also want to run a little longer dropper than you do for steelhead.

Casting tip 1: Usually you want to cast way out into deep water. Use a heavy pyramid weight like 14-16 oz and sling it upstream so it will come to rest directly in front of you.

Casting tip 2: Try large marshmallow on the hook to keep the hook from tangling on the dropper or the float or any of the duolock snaps. When the marshmallow pops to the surface you are fishing.

Don't buy 2 of each color, buy one of each, and buy a lot of the plain chrome and flat finish metal ones. Add tape to those...Zulu style.
Thanks Wayout. You have helped me before I think.

Jay
Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Wallywhacker
Steelhead

Does anyone have pics of this?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
FatRap
Steelhead

Within the last year (not sure which month it was) Salmon, Trout, Steelheader Magazine had an article on plunking with wobblers with diagramed and illustrated rig up's, I was just looking at it the other day but cannot remember what month it was...Im sure with a little research you wouldnt have any trouble finding out what issue it was in....
FatRap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
mutantcolors
Steelhead

just scored some discontinued Jensen Manistee spoons...looks about the same in design give or take the details...Never thought about plunking 'em but Maybe I'll give it a go.
mutantcolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Sorry, but I am missing something here. I am picturing a 5 foot leader made up of a 2 foot section and a 3 foot section, each separated by a swivel. A bobber slides up and down the 3 foot section. The entire 5 foot leader is tied to the main line. Then, you introduced the use of the weight which goes on a dropper. If the weight is used to hold the rig down to the bottom and the bobber is limited in its upward movement by the swivel at the top end of the 3 foot section of leader, I don't understand how the bobber rises to the surface to indicate a take. Or, does the bobber stay underwater and its only use is to keep the wobbler off the bottom. Can you explain this please? Thanks.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
wayout
Sturgeon

The bobber does not rise to the surface. The only function of the bobber is to keep the wobbler off the bottom.

You use a bell to let you know when the fish bites your wobbler.

One ding = a "drive by"

Multiple dings = "Get it, get it, get it. Set the hook."

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
jacksalmon
Ifish Nate

Quote:
The bobber does not rise to the surface. The only function of the bobber is to keep the wobbler off the bottom.

You use a bell to let you know when the fish bites your wobbler.

One ding = a "drive by"

Multiple dings = "Get it, get it, get it. Set the hook."

Good luck.
Thanks for the explanation.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
Doublelung
Tuna!

Quote:

This is an outstanding post. Thanks for taking the time.
Doublelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
fishsauce
Tuna!

Quote:

Very interesting, thanks for the write-up. But just curious. That leaves the "great big float" only 2 feet from the wobbler. I assume chinook aren't gonna be skiddish due to the proximity of the float?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
JDarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsauce View Post
Very interesting, thanks for the write-up. But just curious. That leaves the "great big float" only 2 feet from the wobbler. I assume chinook aren't gonna be skiddish due to the proximity of the float?
Fish are dumb.

JD

www.clackacraft.com
JDarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
fishsauce
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarr View Post
Fish are dumb.

JD
That's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
wayout
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDarr View Post
Fish are dumb.

JD
Old 08-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
txaggie
Chromer

PM a member that goes by Fshklr...If memory serves me correctly, he posted some pics years ago for plunking gear setups for salmon from the beaches on the Columbia and has done quite well doing it.
txaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
Wallywhacker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggie View Post
PM a member that goes by Fshklr...If memory serves me correctly, he posted some pics years ago for plunking gear setups for salmon from the beaches on the Columbia and has done quite well doing it.
Bump for the old thread....has anyone pics of this setup?....its that time again

Jay
Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #17
lucasmorter
Chromer

i will try to draw up a diagram
Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #18
lucasmorter
Chromer

kinda crappy but heres the basic idea. when you go to fishermans or where ever to gear up just ask them what the story is on the bank for nookies they will help you shop for all the right stuff
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Wallywhacker
Steelhead

[QUOTE=lucasmorter;4226936]kinda crappy but heres the basic idea. when you go to fishermans or where ever to gear up just ask them what the story is on the bank for nookies they will help you shop for all the right stuff
[/QUOT

This really helps me....Now I see it. I was gonna stick my float on my mainline....which would not work. Thanks a bunch Lucasmorter!!

Jay
Old 08-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #20
Omahundro
Chromer

Wow, how the heck do you cast that without a massive tangle in flight? It's hard enough getting a Spin N Glo in the water properly, can't imagine trying to chuck this.

I just slide one down as a dropper...
Omahundro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
Ian Harrison
Chromer

It works better than you'd think. Especially with the marshmallow. My only problem was being able to hold the spool hard enough without slipping during the cast. I just use the canoe these days. I sometomes use a big hunk of concrete to hold down 3 of these setups.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #22
69scout
Ifish Nate

Here is a pic of a spinner set up , I use the same setup for wobblers as well .

Old 08-15-2012, 04:15 AM   #23
Fshklr
Tuna

Wink Re: kerplunking simon wobblers for columbia river salmon

This was from when I first began wobbler fishing....

My new revised gear consist of 80# braided line(I like Powerpro) the lure and float leader are 100# saltwater trilene mono, and my dropper for the lead is 40# mono. My lead for casting in 16oz.

I use a 13' ww.griggs rod titled "Columbia Premier" ..rod is rated 15-30 and I have thrown 20oz allday long when needed.

The float can be a couple golfball size floats to float a small lure like a simon in small exchange current and bumped up to a large egg size for clancy's or other heavy wobblers and huge current exchanges.

The pic shows the important beads, and general rigging....it will still work as in the diagram but I have lost a couple 50+lb'ers a few yrs back and now fish heavy gear....fish don't care and the float does nothing to scare off the bite.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #24
lucasmorter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishesGetStitches View Post
It works better than you'd think. Especially with the marshmallow. My only problem was being able to hold the spool hard enough without slipping during the cast. I just use the canoe these days. I sometomes use a big hunk of concrete to hold down 3 of these setups.
dont give away the secret rigging man
Old 08-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
HuskyKMA
Steelhead

What size float are you guys using?
HuskyKMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #26
lucasmorter
Chromer

just depends with the float on the lure size and water speed. of course the larger the float you will need a bigger chunk of lead.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #27
I.fish.wells
Steelhead

How far out do you cast? And do any of you guys ever slide something down the line after the wobbler is out there? Maybe a cut plug, second wobbler, or kwik
I.fish.wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
lucasmorter
Chromer

I want to try a brads super bait
Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #29
wayout
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmorter View Post
I want to try a brads super bait
I know a guy who killed the springers from the bank on them. Treble on the tail. Tuna with bloody tuna inside. Cork float in the middle of the leader. THe set up is the same idea as you see here for wobblers and spinners.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #30
Kokonuts
Chromer

Thanks for the great info! I am just starting the Bank Fishing program & this is perfect.

Have any of you used a large size spin & glow instead of the float?

I am thinking of buying a 10 ft. or longer Spinning Rod & Reel to cast farther out. Any Ideas? Would a regular round reel be a better choice?

Thanks, Kokonuts

Last edited by Kokonuts; 08-29-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Kokonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
Lomi
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokonuts View Post
Thanks for the great info! I am just starting the Bank Fishing program & this is perfect.

I am thinking of buying a 10 ft. or longer Spinning Rod & Reel to cast farther out. Any Ideas? Would a regular round reel be a better choice?

Thanks, Kokonuts
just my experience but spinning reels with 10+ oz of lead equal amputated finger tips
Old 08-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #32
jblaze
Steelhead

QUOTE=JDarr;3790463]Fish are dumb.

JD[/QUOTE]

Like worrying about a clear bobber vs. black, wood, or anything else when you're running large bobbers. I'd read your comment on bobbers elsewhere, and it seemed spot on. Also hadn't used those clear plastic floats as i worried about them busting on coastal bobber caught nooks or scrappy steelhead.
jblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #33
I.fish.wells
Steelhead

Quote:

Thanks, Kokonuts
Go with an open face casting reel. Daiwa 50H or similar
I.fish.wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #34
lucasmorter
Chromer

Quote:

Thanks, Kokonuts
spinning reels are such a pain to cast with that much lead and gear. i have the daiwa sealine-x 40 SHA, its awesome. the other thing is when you are plunking you want a high speed reel so you can crank the fish in even if they are putting up a good fight so thaat others can get back to fishing if they have had to reel in. this reel is just that its got a 6.1:1 gear ration and brings in like 46 inches of line per turn of the handle. get your self like a 12'ft ugly stick and a sealine 40 or 50 and your good for sturgeon and salmon.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #35
Wallywhacker
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fshklr View Post
This was from when I first began wobbler fishing....

My new revised gear consist of 80# braided line(I like Powerpro) the lure and float leader are 100# saltwater trilene mono, and my dropper for the lead is 40# mono. My lead for casting in 16oz.

I use a 13' ww.griggs rod titled "Columbia Premier" ..rod is rated 15-30 and I have thrown 20oz allday long when needed.

The float can be a couple golfball size floats to float a small lure like a simon in small exchange current and bumped up to a large egg size for clancy's or other heavy wobblers and huge current exchanges.

The pic shows the important beads, and general rigging....it will still work as in the diagram but I have lost a couple 50+lb'ers a few yrs back and now fish heavy gear....fish don't care and the float does nothing to scare off the bite.

Thanks everyone for the info. I never did hook up but next year Im ready.

Jay