Low cost tuna rod and reel? - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 07-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
the_dude
Tuna!

Default Low cost tuna rod and reel?

Looking for a new tuna fisherman low cost rod and reel. I don't want or need anything super highend, just something that will work good. Maybe someone has a used one for sale? Any suggestions would help. Also anyone know where to get X-raps and other tackle at a decent price. Sorry don't mean to sound like im begging or anything, just can't afford to bite off a bunch of huge price tags right now.

dude

Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
JohnnyP
Chromer

Default Re: Low cost tuna rod and reel?

Fisherman's sidewalk sale, Tiger Ugly Stick's with Penn 320 reels, on sale for $99. Can't beat it for trolling on the cheap. They have X-raps also.

On the reel, take it apart and remove the winding pawl, it's easy look online for tutorial on taking reel apart.

Load reel with 65lb braid and 50 feet of top shot mono. Or, just load with 40lb mono.

Go fish!
JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Pepe' da Pack Mule
Steelhead

Check out the ifish classifieds. There is a guy selling a shakespeare sturdy stick for $15. These are good trolling rods for the price.
Pepe' da Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
skybuster
Ifish Nate

We've landed a lot of albacore on the orange Ugly Stick Tiger rods (can find on sale for under $60), and Daiwa accudepth reels (again usually on sale for under $60).

If you shop the sales you should be able to put together an outfit like this with line on the reel for $150 or less.

I bought a cheap Shakespeare rod and reel spooled up with 50# dacron at an Englund's sale for $60. It's done sturgeon and could handle albacore. Just keep your eyes open.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
bobross
Chromer

Dude, I went with Ugly Stik tiger rods 30-60, about $45 when they are on sale. I have been buying Penn Senator 113H (4/0) reels off Ebay for about $50-60 and rebuilding the drags (see Alantanis tutorials on this site). Catch all kinds of tuna with these setups. I think Celilo makes some cheap but sturdy rods that will handle an albacore easily.

Like so much of fishing, the tackle is the least important thing. A lot of stuff will work and the fish don't care. How to find the fish and deploy the gear are much more important. Also, if you have your own boat, the main drain on your dollars should be in making your boat safe so you can get out there and get back. This time of year the fish will bite just about anything.
bobross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Tinman
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobross View Post
Dude, I went with Ugly Stik tiger rods 30-60, about $45 when they are on sale. I have been buying Penn Senator 113H (4/0) reels off Ebay for about $50-60 and rebuilding the drags (see Alantanis tutorials on this site). Catch all kinds of tuna with these setups. I think Celilo makes some cheap but sturdy rods that will handle an albacore easily.

Like so much of fishing, the tackle is the least important thing. A lot of stuff will work and the fish don't care. How to find the fish and deploy the gear are much more important. Also, if you have your own boat, the main drain on your dollars should be in making your boat safe so you can get out there and get back. This time of year the fish will bite just about anything.
Preach brother preach! I agree wholeheartedly. The 113H is a bulletproof trolling reel. For casting, try the Penn 500 Jigmaster - 50 bucks new, 25 bucks on ebay. Load with 30 pound mono - good to go. Make sure you replace old Penn drags with Penn HT100 drag washers, lubed with Cals or Shimano drag grease.
Ifish Member #223
22 foot Learned dory "Evenstar"
14 foot rowing wherry "Evensong"
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
HOGGEMIN

Check out HOGGS Jo/ Mar Hardcore Tackle in Hillsboro. We have good prices and inventory. Address is in my tag line.
HOGGEMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
wdlfbio
Chromer

Don't forget used gear. You can find great deals on a little bit better gear from folks upgrading. There's a great classified here, on a bloody decks place, and the hull truth.

ugly stick in 15-40#, 7' and a penn 4/0 will serve you very well for all your tuna fishing up here.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
the_dude
Tuna!

Thanks alot for the info guys. Gives me a good place to start my quest. As for having a boat, I haven't made that investment yet. Not sure if I will be buying one this winter or next, but i would sure love to get into one that would be a good salt, and dare I say it river boat.