kokanee fishing washington? - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
trout killer1
Steelhead

Default kokanee fishing washington?

just moved up to Washington last month would like to do some kokanee fishing soon and was wondering where there are some good lakes around Chehalis where i can try some fishing. any advice would be great thanks.

trout killer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
Finny Business
Tuna!

Default Re: kokanee fishing washington?

Welcome to Washington. As far as Kokanee fishing close to Chehalis, you are kind of in tweener land... that is you are sort of in between a couple of decent Kokanee waters living in Chehalis. I would say if you were willing to drive North that you should fish American Lake near Tacoma. If you wish to drive South then you will want to fish Merwin Reservoir or Yale Reservoir on the North Fork of the Lewis River System. There are some other places to find Kokanee as well but these waters will offer the best bet for decent sized fish. Other places to consider might be Riffe Lake on the Cowlitz system but you will be fishing for Silvers there ( Land Locked Coho ) and you may also give Alder a thought but i am not sure about species of fish there?

Most of the best Kokanne fishing is early in the Spring, you can still catch them now but you will need to fish deeper ( Downriggers ) to get down to them.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
trout killer1
Steelhead

i am also willing to drive no more then two hours but i will try to hit up thoughts lakes thanks
trout killer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #4
BW
Chromer

American lake is well with in 2 hours from Chehalis or Centralia.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
jekern1015
Fry

Try kokaneefishingforum.com. There are a lot of reports about fishing for kokanee in Washinton, as well as other states.
jekern1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
No Wishin Just Fishin
Ifish Nate

woodland exit about 45 min from Chahalis then 30 min to Merwin
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
BW
Chromer

I don't know, I'm from Centralia and that may be a little optomistic. Used to drive to Woodland to visit Anglers workshop, and race bikes at the track before that. Just seemed like it took longer to get there.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Finny Business
Tuna!

Vancouver to Chehalis is roughly 80 miles. Woodland to Chehalis is roughly 55 miles but you can drive 75 mph on the route. figure from Chehalis to Merwin is probably 90 mins to 2 hours from door to the ramp given that the road from Woodland to Merwin is a twisty two lane and if pulling a boat would be even a bit slower. Worth the Drive though as it may be the best Kokanee water in Western Washington.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
BW
Chromer

I'm going to have to get down there somethime. American lake is kicking out 13 to 15 inch fish. What is Merwin like?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
yimmee
Steelhead

same 13 to 15/16 fish.not very good fishing right now though.pretty tuff.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Dale Gocken
Steelhead

Post Re: kokanee fishing washington?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout killer1 View Post
just moved up to Washington last month would like to do some kokanee fishing soon and was wondering where there are some good lakes around Chehalis where i can try some fishing. any advice would be great thanks.
Dale Gocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
Dale Gocken
Steelhead

Thumbs up Re: kokanee fishing washington?

I have fished riffe lake for 10 years. Put in at MossyRock park, travel east about 1/4 mile, stay to the north side of the lake, fish in the old river channel with down riggers or 8 oz of weight and try to get down to 100 ft. First try to locate a school on your fish finder. I have pulled many sizable kokonee from that area. Good luck, Dale Gocke ,Centralia,Wa.
Dale Gocken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
BW
Chromer

The problem with that Dale is there are no kokes in Rife lake. Land locked Silvers, a koke is a sockeye.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
fishbig
Steelhead

The problem with that Dale is there are no kokes in Rife lake. Land locked Silvers, a koke is a sockeye.

Here we go again a land locked silver is also called a kokanee
fishbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #15
BW
Chromer

Hope you are joking, I have been fishing Rife since the lake was new, in fact it covered one of my old hunting grounds (Kosmos). And I have never hard heard A land locked silver called a koke by anyone who knew what they were talking about. Not trying to be an ass, but 50 years of fishing and never hearing that should count for something.

You also may check this site out.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/environmen...n/kokanee.aspx

Last edited by BW; 07-24-2011 at 03:32 PM.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
fishbig
Steelhead

Kokanee

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Kokanee is a word from the Okanagan language referring to land-locked lake populations of Sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka). It may also refer to:
Old 07-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
fishbig
Steelhead

Kokanee Salmon (Onchorhynchus nerka) (native)

Description
Kokanee are a resident form of the sockeye salmon; they live in Idaho all their lives. This native fish, often called the "blueback," has greenish-blue back with faint speckling. The sides and belly are silver colored, hence another nickname, "silvers." They are usually found in large, deep lakes all over the state and in reservoirs of the southern part of the state. Individual size varies; they may be stunted 5 inch fish or a 6-pounder. Idaho kokanee are usually 10-12 inches long and weigh one-half pound to one pound.
Life History
From September through December many kokanee salmon leave their normal lake and reservoir environment for streams. Kokanee spawn upstream from the reservoir or lake. Some kokanee will remain in the lake and spawn along the shore. They dig redds, like other salmon spawning in rivers. They spawn on rocky bottoms in Idaho's larger lakes.
Their bodies become "leathery" and turn dark red to bright scarlet while their heads remain dusky green, just before spawning. As with all salmon, the kokanee die after spawning. The eggs hatch early in the spring. Soon after they swim up out of the gravel, the tiny fry migrate down the river to the lake. They usually move at night. The juvenile kokanee travel together in groups called schools of fish. They rarely live near the shore; instead they live out in the middle of the lake. These schools move around the lake in a characteristic pattern. Experienced anglers who have figured out these patterns, can be consistently successful finding kokanee.
Feeding Habits
Kokanee feed primarily on zooplankton; however, a few midges and aquatic insects are occasionally eaten. They use sieve-like structures in their mouths, called gill rakers, to strain the small plankton and invertebrates from the water. During the summer, they are deep in the lake until dusk, when they venture near the surface to feed.
Angling Techniques
Trolling or hand lining are effective methods for catching kokanee. Trolling techniques vary from trolling with small spinners, using corn on a glow hook. Hand lining is popular in the northern part of the state. It is an effective technique wherever kokanee are abundant. Anglers may use trolling techniques to find a school of kokanee. Once they locate a school they may switch to a different technique.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #18
Finny Business
Tuna!

not to start a new arguement, but with regards to Riffe Lake they are Coho not Kokanee. Some people may call either one " Silvers " but for sure Riffe lake has Land Locked Coho not Kokanee. Sometimes People call Land Locked Coho Silver Trout. To my knowledge there are no Kokanee in Riffe, just Coho.

Kokanee = Sockeye
Silvers or Silver Trout = Coho
Old 07-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #19
BW
Chromer

What you are showing is that some in Idaho have nick named them silvers. No where in you post did it mention Coho, and Finny is correct that is what a land locked silver is. A koke is a landlocked sockeye period. I was only trying to help someone that more than likley did not realize that.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #20
fishbig
Steelhead

No argument from me just saying that kokanee are also called silvers I know nothng about Riffe Lake