high tide or low tide crabing - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2002 archives

Old 11-13-2002, 06:56 AM   #1
cully
Ifish Nate

Default high tide or low tide crabing

Would someone tell me if crabbing is better at high tide, incoming tide, slack tide or out going low tide?

Old 11-13-2002, 07:00 AM   #2
Uglygreen
King Salmon

Default Re: high tide or low tide crabing

In Bays - High is best.

Incoming is second best.

Low is not so good.

Outgoing is worst.

If you are on the ocean, it doesnt matter.

UG
Uglygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:22 AM   #3
cully
Ifish Nate

thanks ug. that's what I thought but decided to go ask the pro's and sure enough Ifish has em.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:23 PM   #4
SteelieKing
Cutthroat

Tides don't really matter if your settin out pots. Only time ya really need to check the tides if your wading
Old 11-13-2002, 03:19 PM   #5
Pilar
Mr. Carkington

All good answers. Let me add one more factor. How big is the tide? During times of high tidal ( 1/2 way between high and low) flow I catch few crabs. I imagine them blowing across the tide flats like tumbleweeds instead of scurrying right to your baited trap.

Small tide (1/2 moon) change and the ebb or flood matters less. Big tide (full or new moon) and it matters more. As a rule low slack equals low flow and works ok. Incoming (flood) works too but you will see fewer crabs as it starts to rip full bore. High slack and the crabs are on the feed, the salinity of the bay is at its saltiest (if rain is an issue) and you get the best results. Outgoing tide (Ebb) is all about harvesting seaweed and having the current pull your bobbers under water and very few caught.

Always rebait your traps or pots 1 hour before high slack and fish until it starts to ebb. Don't get discouraged and leave before high slack. I catch more than 1/2 of the crabs in that 90 minute period almost every time.

Don't forget about rainwater in the bays. No rain means crab are everywhere in the bay, heavy rain means that they are near the jaws not up in the tidewater.

UG .... shhhhh. about night crabbing. The most charming thing about the night crab mission is that you have it all to yourself. Well that and the glow in the dark plankton on the line. Oh and go shallow at night, the crabs do. I do best at night in as little as 6 feet of water.

For the ocean the big thing is the sea state and the location. The crabbing is always better if you can have the pots sit undisturbed. In big swells, unweighted traps can get moved around. Also I can get much closer to a sandy beach when the ocean is calm.

The last thing is bait. Stinky is good but fresh blood is better. There are many schools of thought here but I am convinced that nothing beats a fresh fish back and head. Rockfish, Tuna, Halibut and Salmon all work pretty good. Sealions like Salmon and will destroy your trap to get your bait (Newport). Squid, chicken, turkey legs, nutria carcasses, mink carcasses and even clams work too.

Make sure to prevent the dine and dash. Tie your bait so that it cannot get pulled out the door, can't be eaten from outside the top of the trap or from any outside edge. If you have ever scuba-d on any crab traps you have seen them do just that. They pile on the top or they will reach in from the side, grab the bait and pull it to the wire and eat it from outside the trap. This is how the bait goes away and there are no crabs in the box.

My sister has a little 4 pound dog I call crabbait (sorry Steve). Yeah, maybe I'll even try that someday. :grin:
Old 11-13-2002, 04:41 PM   #6
crabbait
King Salmon

Hey! [img]graemlins/eek13.gif[/img]

That's ok, John. I forgive you this time, as long as you are not thinking about Labrador crab bait! :grin:
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:34 PM   #7
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

I used to crab according to the "rules" as well. However I seem to do just fine regardless of the high/low tide timing. What I look for more is current, or lack thereof. There are places I like at low tide, and others during tide transition. What I have found is, as soon as the current starts to move much, the crab do also. I suppose they are getting out of the way from being flushed in or out. If I stay in the areas that don't have current, the pots always come up with crabs.

The other item that effects crabbing is the proximity of other peoples pots. If your pots are the only ones, then the crab come to you. If everybody and their brother have pots out, then the crab get dispersed all over the place and you don't do as well. Also pay attention to holes and drop-offs. It seems when you can find these, crabs also like to hang along the edge.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:39 PM   #8
fishinlady97140
Chromer

What's worked best for me is 1 hour before high slack -- then just as the tide starts going back out, the crabs panic that they gotta eat NOW and crawl smack into your traps :smile:
Old 11-13-2002, 11:49 PM   #9
Fishing freak
Steelhead

Cully,

I learned my lesson the hard way a couple of weeks ago. Be very careful were you put your pots on an out-going tide ( especially if there is a big tidal change) I thought that I placed
the pots in a safe place. Wrong! I lost 2, $100 pots. One was washed out never to be seen. the other one I was able to locate,but it was stuck hard on the bottom. I couldn't pull it up from my drift boat, without running the dander of pulling the boat under. For all I no it is still in T-bay. Good luck to you!
Fishing freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:51 PM   #10
Miss B Haven
King Salmon

Location: Mountaindale- between the Girl Scout Camp and the Nudist Camp :)

I think you can catch the crabs on any tide if you're in the right spot. Crab move with the tide from deep to shallow on incoming and shallow to deep on outgoing. The transition zone from real shallow exposed sand at low and deep water channel is the place to be. (JMHO)
The big thing is on an outgoing the current is usually much faster and your floats can get pulled under. That's the reason most people crab on an incoming or slack in the bays.
The fastest/best crabbing I ever had was a spot by Anacortes where a huge shallow bay empties out through a narrow channel (Hat Island). Anchored boat, one small ring. 5 minutes on the bottom and the ring was overflowing when we pulled it. Current was ripping and I had to kinda back bounce the ring back and then we just cleated it off. A float would have gone under or floated th ering out to sea.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten.
Miss B Haven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 11:52 PM   #11
Uglygreen
King Salmon

Also, I forgot... Night beats day 2-1.

UG
Uglygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:49 AM   #12
1pump
King Salmon

I always use bait boxes. The best ones I've used so far are the bright orange rectangular ones by Protoco. The grid is a lot smaller on these and it makes your bait last a lot longer since the crabs can't tear off big chunks. And I use bait pins to tie the boxes to the traps. Saves a lot of knot-tying.
I haven't had a problem yet with sea lions thanx to the bait boxes. (knock on wood) :grin:
Old 11-14-2002, 07:28 AM   #13
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

I think crabs do travel, especially when rainwater reduces the salinity of the bays, but I don't think they generally travel with the tidal movement.

I believe that during the moving tides, the crabs don't leave, they hunker down. If they stick their heads up (they have heads?) they are flying in the current. When the tide slows, the crabs move around looking for food.

I rarely leave my pots unattended. I drop them 1 hour before slack and pull them once per hour until 1 hour after slack. I use the Danielson's traps so I check them more frequently than I would with the round "ocean" traps as they can get out. I hardly ever have to put them back after the 1st or 2nd pull because I've got my limits or all I want.
Member #81
Pitch Pocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 09:45 AM   #14
sportster
Steelhead

thinking about going fri. morning ,& was wondering if anyone has been out of chinook lately?if it is flat &nice i will be at 22,but if it is windy will head to sand island.
sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:21 AM   #15
bassin
Ifish Nate

Sportster:
I will e-mail you to night.
Am thinking on given it a try. Friday
bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:38 AM   #16
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

Fri
SE wind 20 kt. Wind waves 3 ft. SW swell 11 ft at 12 seconds. Rain developing late.
Fri Night
SE wind increasing to 35 kt. Combined seas building to 16 ft. Rain at times.

Good luck, it sounds like a really nice day. Wear a life jacket.
Member #81
Old 11-14-2002, 10:45 AM   #17
bassin
Ifish Nate

Early tide and wind increase as the day goes on. early on the water and early off?? What do you think?
Any one been down there this week?
bassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:13 PM   #18
RIPPLE
Chromer

I was going to post, until I read a bunch of quality posts and suggestions. If you want to read what I would have said, go back and reread Pilar's post. [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:
Old 11-16-2002, 06:06 AM   #19
Pitch Pocket
Tuna!

Well, how did you do?
Member #81
Old 11-16-2002, 08:09 AM   #20
cully
Ifish Nate

pitch pocket, The info was for a couple of College students I cook for at OSU. I printed the thread and gave it to them to use. They went out friday morning, and I did a drop and run lunch and dinner for the guys and headed up to the Clackamas to fish. Such a rough job.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:15 AM   #21
roadsend
King Salmon

Three easy limits Thursday at Buoy 22. Two on Friday. Turkey legs.