cat pooping in garden/flower bed, help! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
CW59
Chromer

Default cat pooping in garden/flower bed, help!

Ok my cats are going number 2 in our garden and flower beds, we live out in the country with hundreds of acres around us and they have to go in there. I guess they do look like big litter boxes, but still. How would you get them to stop? I remeber as a kids my grandparents making me clean the garden and flower beds up and putting down chicken wire and then putting a thin layer of dirt over it to stop the cats. Only problem is I dont remeber if it worked. LOL
What has worked for you guys? Our cats are outside 24/7 so I cant be out there to stop them. Advice needed.....
Thanks
CW

Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
johndeeregreen
Tuna!

Default Re: cat pooping in garden/flower bed, help!

Lose the cats!!!
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Buy red pepper flakes in bulk!!!
MsOutdrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
flatman
Ifish Nate

sand is cheap. build them a sand box/ and then buy a can of that cat repellent spray and use that where you dont want them. it is that easy. i think.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Cast Away
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW59 View Post
Ok my cats are going number 2 in our garden and flower beds, we live out in the country with hundreds of acres around us and they have to go in there. I guess they do look like big litter boxes, but still. How would you get them to stop? I remeber as a kids my grandparents making me clean the garden and flower beds up and putting down chicken wire and then putting a thin layer of dirt over it to stop the cats. Only problem is I dont remeber if it worked. LOL
What has worked for you guys? Our cats are outside 24/7 so I cant be out there to stop them. Advice needed.....
Thanks
CW

Mouse traps, lots and lots of mouse traps! I put a least a 100 in and around my flower beds when the neighbors cats decided to use them as their litter box. Since they mostly went under the eves where it was dry I just set them up in those areas. Every once in a while a trap would end up out in the road or drive way. After a few months they quit coming over to play.
Cast Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
iwanttofish
King Salmon

Cyanne pepper works pretty good

I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
iwanttofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
Old Guys Rule
Tuna!

Another vote for cayenne pepper go to a bulk food store and buy a big jar sprink;e liberally repeat after a rain or a week. The cats will stop using it very quickly
Old Guys Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
CW59
Chromer

I will try the cayenne pepper/red pepper flakes. thanks
I and the rest of the familey like the cats so there staying, mouse traps is a no go because I have young kids (but would that help stop the dogs from eating the poop LOL. thanks guys.
CW
Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
iwanttofish
King Salmon

Quote:
I and the rest of the familey like the cats so there staying, mouse traps is a no go because I have young kids (but would that help stop the dogs from eating the poop LOL. thanks guys.
CW
Heck it will keep the kids out too:backlaugh:

I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
iwanttofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
30pound-tasty-fish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Away View Post
Mouse traps, lots and lots of mouse traps! I put a least a 100 in and around my flower beds when the neighbors cats decided to use them as their litter box. Since they mostly went under the eves where it was dry I just set them up in those areas. Every once in a while a trap would end up out in the road or drive way. After a few months they quit coming over to play.
St. Peter ain't gonna like that, pal. Rotsa ruck with the horned one!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
Lead Bouncer
King Salmon

check the ads. Somewhere, some guys wife has laid down the law and the stuffed cougar is headed to the pawn shop. Ive seem them. Raccoon might work too.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
fyshndad
King Salmon

Quote:
CW

DANG

Someone call 911 im dieing here from laughing so hard:backlaugh:

WILL FISH FOR GAS

Sleep is for people that don't know how to fish!
Making "MEMORIES" one day at a time

I am retired "Who wants to go fishing??"
fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #13
Lurp
Tuna!

Mouse traps are extremely cruel, and totally uncalled for
One must realize they are just being a cat
If you buried yours all the time wouldn't you find a place that's easy to dig
Cayenne pepper works great and just gives them a bad taste with no permanent injury
Trying to get the dogs to stop eating the cat's waste is about impossible
A freind of mine said he cured the problem by spreading used coffee grounds and the dogs would get the grounds in their nose when they started sniffing around
It irritates their sinuses and they go somewhere else to sniff
It doesn't hurt them they just sneeze and get rid of the grounds

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by Lurp; 06-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Lurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Fishalot
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurp View Post
Mouse traps are extremely cruel, and totally uncalled for
One must realize they are just being a cat
If you buried yours all the time wouldn't you find a place that's easy to dig
Cayenne pepper works great and just gives them a bad taste with no permanent injury
Trying to get the dogs to stop eating the cat's waste is about impossible
A freind of mine said he cured the problem by spreading used coffee grounds and the dogs would get the grounds in their nose when they started sniffing around
It irritates their sinuses and they go somewhere else to sniff
It doesn't hurt them they just sneeze and get rid of the grounds

GOOD LUCK
No ! a rat trap would be cruel and uncalled for, and when you say, cats are just being cats, yep lazy. What helps with unwanted cats in a garden is carpet tack strips:backlaugh:. I like cats, I just don't like them pooping and spraying eevrywhere.

Fishalot
Old 06-07-2011, 04:49 AM   #15
Moe
Tuna!

Another vote for cayenne pepper. Winco has it in the bulk foods section and it's cheap. Liberally sprinkle some on the area and your troubles are over. It's never harmed the plants where we've used it and lasts quite a while.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 AM   #16
DAB
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen View Post
Lose the cats!!!

The only way to fly.
AT MY AGE I DON'T EVEN BUY GREEN BANANAS
Once a PARENT always a PARENT
WB7SRR just another ham radio dweeb General class
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
Two Fister
Sturgeon

A friend has used Contec Scarecrow Motion Sensor Sprinklers with great success. They run off of an optic/thermal sensor and will work day or night. When the cat gets within a preset range they kick on loudly and spray the area with an impact sprinkler. The sound scares the cats and they'll get a nice little shower (which as we all know they hate) at the same time. My friend got great satisfaction listening to it kick on every 15 minutes the first night, every hour the second night, and once the third night. He just leaves it in his garden on an elevated stand so that all the neighborhood kittys can see it. I don't think he's had a battery in it for a year or more but it's still standing guard.

They aren't cheap at about $50, but they work for cats, deer, racoons, skunks, kids, etc. It can cover an area 45' wide and 35' deep.

They look like this:

You can buy them at a lot of garden supply stores on on Amazon.
TF
Two Fister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
GLA
Steelhead

Thanks for the ideas. I also have a problem with cats using my yard for a litter box. I know you can spray them to rid the problem but i am in the city so I cant spray them with what it takes to solve the problem for good and save many song birds, number 4 shot. I will try the pepper idea, I just wish we had coyotes in our neighborhood. Folks say they have seen cougar, bear and deer but no coyotes. Oh well off to Winco.
GLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
Sparks
Tuna!

Mouse traps? Carpet tacks? Really folks? There's a word for guys who do this kind of stuff....issues.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
mudcat king
Steelhead

I too have a problem with cats using our yard as a toilet. We used to be able to walk across the lawn barefoot but not anymore. Will the pepper flakes hurt the grass? I've heard about ultra sonic noise makers maybe working too but am afraid to fork out the money. I think cat owners should be more responsible with their pets. Our neighbors just let them run loose to do their "business" anywhere. You can't do that with dogs. Cats should be the same way.........
mudcat king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #21
Baskett-o-fish

citrus spray...They hate the stuff
Baskett-o-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #22
Baskett-o-fish

spray the garden, grass...etc... NOT the cat
Baskett-o-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
eugene1
Chromer

I had similar problems with stray cats. Got some "Rabbit Guard fencing" and put it around the raised beds. It's only about 2.5 feet tall, but the cats will not jump it.

I think it was about $15 for a 50 foot roll.
eugene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
boy-n-sea
Coho

Put the peel from lemons or limes around the garden. Cats won't go in the area. Bonus is you get to make fresh lemonade or ceviche so you have enough lemons peels to put out.
boy-n-sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #25
SILVERSINK
Tuna!

In one word --DOG. Works arround our house. No squirels, no cats.
SILVERSINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #26
ripnlips
Steelhead

They make a citrus based gel that shakes out in little gel pellets that you put around plants etc. Cats do not like citrus.

Quote:
Thanks
CW
ripnlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #27
Schenley
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fister View Post
A friend has used Contec Scarecrow Motion Sensor Sprinklers with great success. They run off of an optic/thermal sensor and will work day or night. When the cat gets within a preset range they kick on loudly and spray the area with an impact sprinkler. The sound scares the cats and they'll get a nice little shower (which as we all know they hate) at the same time. My friend got great satisfaction listening to it kick on every 15 minutes the first night, every hour the second night, and once the third night. He just leaves it in his garden on an elevated stand so that all the neighborhood kittys can see it. I don't think he's had a battery in it for a year or more but it's still standing guard.

They aren't cheap at about $50, but they work for cats, deer, racoons, skunks, kids, etc. It can cover an area 45' wide and 35' deep.

They look like this:

You can buy them at a lot of garden supply stores on on Amazon.
TF
Another vote for the motion sensor sprinkler -- works great and the critters learn very quickly to go elsewhere. Good protection for tomatoes too.
Schenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #28
Cast Away
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Mouse traps? Carpet tacks? Really folks? There's a word for guys who do this kind of stuff....issues.
Issues? Really Sparks?:backlaugh::backlaugh::backlaugh:

The only issue is that I take care of my property. I could deal with the flower beds but when they started going under the bench which sits under a covered porch I had to do something. On a warm summer day the stench of cat urine was so strong that you didn't even want to open the front door because you would smell it inside. It was also not what I wanted people to smell when they walked up to my front door. I tried two types of cat/dog repellent and neither one had any effect.

The snapping of the mouse traps worked perfectly. The intent was not to actually have the trap snap onto the cat but rather the noise alone would scare them away. I guess there may have been some collateral damage but I'm not real sympathetic when someones uncontrolled pet is using my front walk as a litter box.

I always thought it would be kinda fun to watch as some cat owner washes their car. Then when they are completed I would take my 70# Labrador down and have her jump up on top of their car and run around.

Last edited by Cast Away; 06-07-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #29
Sparks
Tuna!

I call 'em like I read 'em. If you have neighbor cats that are using your lawn as a litter box, then why not take it up the with irresponsible cat owner? Set a trap and either take the cat to the shelter or put a note on your neighbor's door. Something to the effect of "Hey Dumb..., I have your cat. Either keep it inside or you'll have to shell out the money to get it out of the shelter every time." But hey, that's just my opinion.

In this thread, the OP IS the owner of the cats. Why not pick the 152 other anti-cat threads on this site. If I were to place steel traps on my lawn where all the neighborhood dogs like to pee, there would be outrage on this board. So...sorry, I'm not buying it.
Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #30
Cast Away
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
I call 'em like I read 'em. If you have neighbor cats that are using your lawn as a litter box, then why not take it up the with irresponsible cat owner? Set a trap and either take the cat to the shelter or put a note on your neighbor's door. Something to the effect of "Hey Dumb..., I have your cat. Either keep it inside or you'll have to shell out the money to get it out of the shelter every time." But hey, that's just my opinion.

In this thread, the OP IS the owner of the cats. Why not pick the 152 other anti-cat threads on this site. If I were to place steel traps on my lawn where all the neighborhood dogs like to pee, there would be outrage on this board. So...sorry, I'm not buying it.
I'm no fan of uncontrolled dogs either.

Not selling anything so I don't really care what you buy.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #31
afrank250
Steelhead

the cheapest way I found was old coffee grounds from starbucks ( they give them away) doesn't hurt the kids or other animals and cats hate strange smells and works great !!
afrank250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #32
fishhead69
Tuna!

A long time ago when I lived in town. I had issues with cats. One morning I saw a cat hop the fence, then proceed to do its biz in the flower bed, I went out and scooped it up and then proceeded to throw it over the fence back into the neighbor (cat owners yard). Being a good neighbor and all, I felt that the cat losts its belongings in my yard so I just returned it.

After a whille I got tired of doing pooper detail every other day or so, and got sick of the stink. AND STEPPING IN IT!

Then I decided to try the ceyanne pepper thing and it worked great! It was funny hearing the neighborhood car sneezing that first hot august night at 12-3am. :backlaugh: After that, no problems.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #33
Reelamin
Steelhead

Quote:
Did this and it worked the second best....the best way finally solved the issue for good.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #34
McSteelie
Tuna!

You may need to take your cats to the kitty psychatrist to find what emotional issues they are having which causes them to do a naughty thing like this. At $200 an hour, I think about 20 sessions should pay for my vacat.. Oops, I mean cure them.

lol
McSteelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #35
STRUTTIN-1
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrank250 View Post
the cheapest way I found was old coffee grounds from starbucks ( they give them away) doesn't hurt the kids or other animals and cats hate strange smells and works great !!

Wet or damp coffee grounds also have a stench after a while.PEW!Rates up there of the cat stench.So what do ya gain?One stink replaces another.
STRUTTIN-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #36
Moe
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERSINK View Post
Sounds like a deal. You get to trade cat poop for dog poop.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #37
ajfishfinder
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Issues? Really Sparks?:backlaugh::backlaugh::backlaugh:

The only issue is that I take care of my property. I could deal with the flower beds but when they started going under the bench which sits under a covered porch I had to do something. On a warm summer day the stench of cat urine was so strong that you didn't even want to open the front door because you would smell it inside. It was also not what I wanted people to smell when they walked up to my front door. I tried two types of cat/dog repellent and neither one had any effect.

The snapping of the mouse traps worked perfectly. The intent was not to actually have the trap snap onto the cat but rather the noise alone would scare them away. I guess there may have been some collateral damage but I'm not real sympathetic when someones uncontrolled pet is using my front walk as a litter box.

I always thought it would be kinda fun to watch as some cat owner washes their car. Then when they are completed I would take my 70# Labrador down and have her jump up on top of their car and run around.
:c lap:

Old 06-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #38
Fishthewild
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERSINK View Post

Yep - I don't have stray cats in my yard, the dog sees to that.

I have two cats but they are not allowed outside unsupervised. I don't want them pooping in my flowers and I'm sure the neighbors feel the same way...
Fishthewild is offline   Reply With Quote