What are the Reloading EXTRA needs..... - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
fishnowhuntlater
Chromer

Default What are the Reloading EXTRA needs.....

I just bought a reloading kit (RCBS rock chucker supreme) but know there are other things that i need to be successful.

I am thinking that i need to buy a case trimmer, powder trickler, Various shell holders, some type of measuring caliper (have no idea on this one) etc..

I am new to reloading and the only info i have is from reading here and reading books....... So that is the extent of my knowledge.

I got two rifles from my grandpa after he passed away i know he has a lot of reloading stuff i may be able to get my hands on but right now it is easier to build up what i need by myself.....

I am also looking for any tips and tricks to the process or anyone that would be willing to sit down and show me the ropes.....

Again thanks in advance just hoping to work up some loads and go do a little shooting for grandpas sake......

I have two rifles i know i need to load for.

6mm/284..
For this i have..
a set of full length dies
various 6mm bullets

I need...
Brass (leaning towards 284 and resizing with a 6.5/284 then the 6mm/284).
Powder
Primers.

300 ackley
all i have is the gun
So the question is what brass will work (300win 300 h&h) I know i will need to fire form all of it for the best results. (also what die set do i get for this rifle.

270win.
My Book has a lot of info for this gun ....
and it seems that a standard set of dies will be easy to get ahold of...

This is the kit i got..

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

Default Re: What are the Reloading EXTRA needs.....

Bullet extractor, they look like a hammer. OAL (over all length) gauge, I would personally toss the balance beam scale and go for a digital scale.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Flatfish
King Salmon

Start with the 270.

Fire forming and necking brass down brings a lot of variables into the picture that a beginner probably should not start off with.

I would suggest chamber casts on the wildcats before you start. Too many potential variables with non factory stuff.
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
pharmseller
King Salmon

Buy "The ABCs of Reloading" and go from there. Excellent step-by-step instructions.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
jcathunter
Chromer

Unfortunately, the "extra" list NEVER ends. lol The good thing is that its a lot of fun making your own perfect ammo. Personally, I think my favorite extras are my OAL gauge that clips on my calipers and measures from the ogive of the bullet and my ultra sonic cleaner form harbor freight. I don't consider it an extra but my rcbs powder dispenser/scale is the most valuable piece in my kit, by far. Saves me more time and frustration than anything else.
jcathunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
ehunter
King Salmon

My advice for the trimmer is get a couple of lee trimmers you will need to buy one for each caliber. They are really easy to use and cheaper than buying a large trimmer. I also like the powder trickler as well although I used a plastic spoon to trickle with when I first started.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #7
Beeatease
Tuna!

I concur with calipers and OAL gauge....plus additional reloading books, they make great reading in addition to the load information.

Sinclair International is a good source for precision stuff.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
lingslayer
Ifish Nate

Oddly enough, I have found 6.5x.284 brass much easier to get than .284 brass.
YMMV.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
fishnowhuntlater
Chromer

Thanks for the great info so far......

I have found a source for 284 brass and did not want to mess up later since my mom has another of my grandpas guns which is a 6.5/284 and having casings running around with the same head stamp makes me a little nervous

Sounding like the lee case trimmers is worth checking into

A bullet puller

Calipers (any Brand recommendations)

oal guage

Anyone have the info on what brass for the 300 ackley
Old 05-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
baltz526
King Salmon

300 improved magnum "ackley" Looks like 300HH brass fireformed then use 300 weatherby data. IF it is this ackley case this might be how to make the brass. Once you have the brass you will need to send it off to a die maker like RCBS to make new dies.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnowhuntlater View Post
I just bought a reloading kit (RCBS rock chucker supreme) but know there are other things that i need to be successful.

I am thinking that i need to buy a case trimmer, powder trickler, Various shell holders, some type of measuring caliper (have no idea on this one) etc..

I am new to reloading and the only info i have is from reading here and reading books....... So that is the extent of my knowledge.

I got two rifles from my grandpa after he passed away i know he has a lot of reloading stuff i may be able to get my hands on but right now it is easier to build up what i need by myself.....

I am also looking for any tips and tricks to the process or anyone that would be willing to sit down and show me the ropes.....

Again thanks in advance just hoping to work up some loads and go do a little shooting for grandpas sake......

I have two rifles i know i need to load for.

6mm/284..
For this i have..
a set of full length dies
various 6mm bullets

I need...
Brass (leaning towards 284 and resizing with a 6.5/284 then the 6mm/284).
Powder
Primers.

300 ackley
all i have is the gun
So the question is what brass will work (300win 300 h&h) I know i will need to fire form all of it for the best results. (also what die set do i get for this rifle.

270win.
My Book has a lot of info for this gun ....
and it seems that a standard set of dies will be easy to get ahold of...

This is the kit i got..
Case trimmer is a must have and you'll neev the proper piolets to go with it. The Lee trimmers look great to me but I've never used them. Don't know if they make them for wildcatt cartridges but probably will special order.

Cases that get to long stick the case mouth in the throat and jump pressure. Dial caliper's will do all the measuring you will need. You could get by with an old RCBS case length guage but a good dial caliper is only about $20, I'd get that.

You've already got 6mm284 dies, probably your grandfathers. They most likely work fine. He's probably also got either a manual or notes with load data for it. Hornady has the data.

The 300 Ackley. Where did your grandfather get ammo for it? Dies and cases must be somewhere. If not I'd take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber cast and really find out what you need. I have data for it in Ackley's book but your better off going to a gunsmith. Reason being I don't believe there are any SAMMI spec's on it. I believe there are on the 6mm284, Midway has cases for it. Get 284 Win cases and run them thru your 6mm284 resize die and trim to length.

270 Win dies can be had anywhere reloading supplies are sold.

Don't use any tricks till you learn the process well first. If you never learn how to make good ammo, you'll probably never know how to make safe ammo. It just doesn't take that much to learn to make good ammo, do that first. There really are no tricks, just things to do to gain a bit more accuracy and that gain is often measured in hundreds of an inch, not a lot of value to anyone other than a competative shooter. You can make the process as misterious as you want or as simple as you want and either way end up with loads that will shoot better than you can. After years of listening to people rave about de-burring flash holes I finally did it, didn't make one bit of difference other than I can say I de-burred my flash holes. Should take my own advice sometimes!

Sure as can be some one is gonna tell you you need a primer pocket watchchmacallit. Bull, all you need is the de-burring tool that came with your kit. That will take crimps out of military case primer pockets and a small screwdriver will scrape out the residue in the pocket corners. I use a 16 penny nail epoxied into a wooden handle.

A fettish with me is clean cases so I have a case cleaner. Not so sure they are really needed though as I got by with out one for about 30 yrs before I gave in and got one.

Someone said a plastic spoon does a good job tricking. They were right! But a trickler is awful nice to have and not that expensive.

Just re-read your post. Your grandfather has a lot of reloading stuff but you don't have it. Talk to grandma, dollar to a sugar cookie the 300 Ackley dies are there and so are the shell holders you'll need. Buy his stuff rather than buying a bunch af new stuff, he has all you'll need and probably then some. Get that together then ask us what you have! I doubt grandma has a need for his reloading stuff.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!

Last edited by Don Fischer; 05-31-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

One last thing, call 1-800-243-3220 and have then send you a catalog It's "Midway Supply". Everything you'll ever need

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
afp
Tuna!

Calipers (any Brand recommendations)

- Mitutoyo or Brown and Sharpe are the best, but even a cheap set from Harbor Freight will get you far

oal guage

- Hornady for the colimator, headspace inserts, and OAL tool. Sinclair for the bullet inserts

Anyone have the info on what brass for the 300 ackley

- Remington brand 300 H&H. You'll have to fireform it.
afp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

Ohh, a couple of more things. A primer pocket uniform sizer and a flash hole deburring tool. I do this to all of my brass, it helps make ignition more uniform and predicable.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
fishnowhuntlater
Chromer

So here is my list so far..

270 Dies
Find the Ackley dies
Case trimmer (large or small)
Caliper
Bullet extractor (Hammer Type)
Powder Trickler (or plastic spoon)
OAL Gauge

brass primers powder and bullets......
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #16
afp
Tuna!

300 Ack dies are spendy. Also, though most have a 40 degree shoulder, on ocassiona you run into one with a 30 degree shoulder. I prefer Redding dies and when I was looking for Ack dies Redding had a sizer in stokc but had to make the seater--took four months and cost close to $400. While all that was going on I found an RCBS set and a Gunshow for $75.
afp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
Beeatease
Tuna!

Don't forget a notebook to log your loads. Keeping track of what works and what doesn't will help keep you sane. Targets as references that can be stored in the notebook.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #18
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

Something I find with bullet pullers. The collet type pullers always ruin the bullets. I've used pliers with the press and again always ruined bullets. I now use only the hammer type puller. Drawback is they mess up the tip of the bullet. I tried putting material and loose toilet paper in the bottom but it didn't help much. Think I tried a piece of sponge too, didn't work. What I finally got to work is to hit a couple raps and after each one check out the bullet to see how much it moved. Do it just so and you can retrieve all the pulled bullets in good shape, takes a bit of practice. You'll be able to tell when to hit softer by how much bullet is already out.

I wouldn't worry about the OLL guage now. It might be nice to have but you don't need it. You will find in time that there are a lot of different tools that are nice to have that don't really give you much more preformance of accuracy in the finished load, unless of course, you shoot competatively.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
baltz526
King Salmon

If you put a 20ga 1/4" felt in the hammer puller it helps with the tip squishing.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #20
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

Stuck case remover. Don't try and drill them out as you can mess up the dies. Make your own reloading blocks to the size of your casing. If you are going to do a lot of loading, get the digital powder dispenser. Automatically weighs out your load for you. Case Tumbler and media. Lee Auto Primer. I would get the Forster or a good name brand trimmer with the correct collets. If you have a lot of them, take the handle off and put a cordless drill on the end and let the drill do your trimming. You can get any load for any powder by just going online. Everything you need to know about reloading and then some is at your fingertips...Good luck ....BE SAFE
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #21
baltz526
King Salmon

My favorite tool on my reloading bench is the RCBS power case trimmer
Old 06-01-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
Jeeper
Steelhead

2nd On the "The ABCs of Reloading" Knowledge = Safety! Keeping a log and labeling your reloads is very important. Started out not doing that and got a few boxes of mystery ammo?? Thought I would be able to remember!

I also like the LEE factory crimp dies. Easily repeatable and good crimp.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Shed Hunter
Coho

Once you are up and running... I had a guy tell me this, so I will tell you. He took this more seriously than I do (he was shooting at 600 yrds). You will need to experiment to find the best powder/bullet/grain combo for your rifle.

LOL, maybe there is a more scientific word for this. Anyways, I start at the minimum load, and work my way up in half grain increments. Example: say the book calls out 40grains - 45 grains. I would load, 6 rounds at 40 grains, 6 rounds at 40.5 grains, 6 rounds at 41 grains, and so on. You won't believe how much you can watch the patterns/grouping jump around on the paper. I know this is a lot of $ & work. But you only have to do it once if you stick with the same bullet & powder.

My buddy would take it to the next level. Say that 40.5 and 41 were the two best. He would then load at 40.6, 40.7, 40.8, and 40.9. I have never done this. He had a range in his front yard...I live in the city...if I could shoot in my front yard I would probably experiment more.

Hope this helps. Also hope I am not telling you something wrong.

Last edited by Shed Hunter; 06-01-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Shed Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #24
SeanD
Tuna!

RCBS Micrometer and powder baffle. Throw everything.

OAL gage/bullet comparator

calipers

lee case trimmers

lee collet die

hornady one shot

magic marker
Old 06-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #25
James in Idaho
Ifish Nate

Your kit is really pretty complete. The only thing I would add is some way to trim your cases. I've always used a trim die and a file or the Lee trim set. With your wildcats you'll need a trimmer and collets to set up the proper length. Some day in the future you might want a tumbler, I managed for about 30 years without one.

Just about all the other stuff suggested may be necessary for squeezing that last 1/10 of an inch out of your reloads, but you have to decide what you are reloading for.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #26
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeatease View Post
Don't forget a notebook to log your loads. Keeping track of what works and what doesn't will help keep you sane. Targets as references that can be stored in the notebook.
E-freaking-ssential!

When I was working up a load I kept detailed notes on brass (brand, times fired), powder brand and charge, primer brand, bullet, bullet seating depth, temperature at the range, and resulting muzzle velocity and group size.

This way you can dial in to the most accurate load that meets your velocity expectations.

P

We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.
General George C. Marshall, 1942

If you rifle hunt with anything bigger than a 7mm-08 you're a sissy and should wear pink panties.

19' Arima SC
D-48 South Beach Marina

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
Crashin' Bait
Chromer

Like wapiteaser mentioned earlier, I would add a case tumbler, tumbling media, media sifter, and polishing compound. It's easier to spot bad brass after cleaning.

Last edited by Crashin' Bait; 06-03-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Crashin' Bait is offline   Reply With Quote