Need advice on line for new baitcasting reel, please! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Boxor
Fry

Default Need advice on line for new baitcasting reel, please!

Let me start off by saying I've spent countless hours reading through old posts using the search function here and on many other sites. With that said, I still need some input from all of you.

I bought an AG Revo Toro 51 that I'm going to use to bank fish for springers and then for anything that my steelie gear won't handle. So, I plan to fish bobber and eggs and drift. The reel is going on and 8'6" Lami 12-25 rod. In the past I would have just thrown some 17-20lb Maxima UG and called it good. However, I think I want to try somehting else out this time.

The couple of options I've been thinking about are a braid or maybe a fluorocarbon/copolymer. What braids work well in a baitcaster (tufline or power pro) and what lb test would I want for springers, 50lb? I was also looking at the PLine CX or CXX. How do these work in a baitcaster and what lb test, maybe 15, 17 or 20? How do these lines cast compared to mono, how's memory, stiffness, etc? Any issues I should know about.

After reading so much I'm really just more confused. There are so many options and I feel like it's finally time to start trying some out but since line isn't cheap I wanted to float some more direct questions.

Any other brands that I should consider, Sufix, Izorline, ???

Or should I just spool it up with Maxima and keep what ain't broke? That wouldn't really be too much fun though.

Thanks for the help-

Boxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Need advice on line for new baitcasting reel, please!

Bobber and eggs = braided line. 30 - 50 lb Power Pro

Drift fishing = mono. Since you used to fish 17-20lb Max UG, I would try 15-17lb PLine CXX.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Boxor
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Drifter View Post

Drift fishing = mono. Since you used to fish 17-20lb Max UG, I would try 15-17lb PLine CXX.
So, if i wanted to do a bit of both what would be better, cxx or braid. I think I would be using bobber and eggs more but would like to drift if that's what's needed at the time. Is there a line that would work OK for both? I don't want to carry two spools.

Thanks for the input-
Boxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
jig n bobber
Steelhead

I would give the Sufix line a try. I made a switch over to Sufix and could not be happier. This stuff casts like a dream, low memory and the line is very strong. I use their braid, mono and floro all the time.
jig n bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
firemouse5
Chromer

I would avoid braided line from the bank altogether. The minute any braid rubs on a rock.... gone. It works great from any boat when you can stay above the fish and the rocks. But from the bank, those rocks will rub that braid down in no time flat. I always liked Ande 20lb from the bank. I have caught hundreds of springers on the Upper Rogue from the bank. I tried braided line twice and never will again from the bank. IMHO.... It was wasted money. I wouldn't hesitate to use braided from a boat.

Last edited by firemouse5; 05-26-2011 at 12:46 PM.
firemouse5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
jig n bobber
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxor View Post
So, if i wanted to do a bit of both what would be better, cxx or braid. I think I would be using bobber and eggs more but would like to drift if that's what's needed at the time. Is there a line that would work OK for both? I don't want to carry two spools.

Thanks for the input-
I would go with a braid and tie on floro leaders....
Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
jig n bobber
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemouse5 View Post
I would avoid braided line from the bank altogether. The minute any braid rubs on a rock.... gone. It works great from any boat when you can stay above the fish and the rocks. But from the bank, those rocks will rub that braid down in no time flat. I always liked Ande 20lb from the bank.
I've never had a problem with braid from the bank.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Reelamin
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig n bobber View Post
I would go with a braid and tie on floro leaders....
+3, 4, 5 for braid...your choice of brand....yellow for drifting...I just tie a section of mono (not fan of flouro due to knot weakness) in line. Mono length is dependant on what I need. Never had a single issue with braid for durability and life. Fishing same braid that is four years old this year. Run same set up with my trolling gear....mono as a shock leader for a little stretch.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxor View Post

Thanks for the input-
If I had to choose, I think I would prefer braid for drift fishing rather than mono for float fishing. Thus, if you want a do-it-all recommendation, I would use Power Pro green in 30lb test (with a mono or fluoro leader). Hope that helps.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #10
Buoy8
Chromer

Pline CXX or Izorline XXX. Either of them u wont be dissapointed
Old 05-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
Huntsman
Steelhead

I'll throw another vote towards a braid, especially drift fishing from the bank. Smaller diameter = less water drag. No stretch = quicker and stronger hook sets. Braided lines are a "high performance" piece of your equipment so you do need to keep and eye on it for fraying. My favorites are Spiderwire Stealth, Power Pro, and Tufline...all in the hi-vis colors.

A simple improved cinch knot with a little saliva works fine. I use Maxima UG for my leaders...

Last edited by Huntsman; 05-26-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
native steelie
Ifish Nate

id go with the braid. anytime your adding in float fishing in you need a line that floats.

i wouldn't use a clinch knot it will slip. ive tried it countless times. id connect the braid directly to your mono leader using a double uni knot. make sure to wrap the braid a few extra times like 3-4 or it tends to slip right out, good thing is, it will slip out while tighening it down so you know before you cast. make sure its good and wet!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
sherman51
Chromer

my vote is for braid. cabelas ripcord is one of the best. or power pro is good. and if your not worried about line shy fish use a mono leader, if there alittle line shy use a good floro leader. you can get away with alittle heavier floro leader, so knots shouldnt be a problem. just another 2 pennies(cents) that is.LOL
sherman
sherman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
bigjnemo
Chromer

I've used ultragreen for all my fishing for as many years as I can remember. It has never failed me, don't fix it if it ain't broke!
bigjnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #15
crobarr
Tuna!

your getting lots of opinions, so i'll give you 1 thing to think about.

while i do like the cxx (roughly the same stiffness as u.g.), the flouro in it makes it want to sink. unless your fishing in close, it can be a pain when bobber fishing. cxx DOES hold up well when drift fishing.

as for size.....i like the 15# for everything on a reel with good capacity and fishing where i can actually let the fish run some.
crobarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #16
roosevelt
King Salmon

i would think with what you are doing, braid would be best, 50 or 65lb power pro. 30 digs bad into the spool of a levelwind, and the bigger your braid, the better it floats. when drift fishing you should have a mono bumper. google the albright knot and get good at tying it also, if you go with 30lb braid, it is not very tolerant of abrasion in salmon scenarios. if you fish 30lb braid and 20lb mono leader, you may be losing some corks, and they aren't line shy, 30lb leader and 65 power pro is fair for springers
Old 05-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
firemouse5
Chromer

If you want evidence to back up your decision. Go to your nearest busy bank fishing area and look at what the most experienced guys are using. You can obviously tell who has experience and who doesn't when you are down there. I know for a fact that less than 5 percent of the bankies on the Rogue use braided line. Ask the experienced bankies why they use what line is on their reels. If you have to ask, my guess is you don't have a whole lot of bank experience. So go ask the guys on the bank, not the guys on the computer.
firemouse5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
FishingTheWest
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Drifter View Post

FishingTheWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
steelhead4life
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnemo View Post
I've used ultragreen for all my fishing for as many years as I can remember. It has never failed me, don't fix it if it ain't broke!
+1
steelhead4life is offline   Reply With Quote