Noodle Rods - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2002 archives

Old 11-05-2002, 01:55 PM   #1
outdoor.spec.ops
Tuna!

Default Noodle Rods

I was thinking of buying a new steelhead rod for the 2002-2003 season, and was wondering if anyone on I-Fish uses noodle rods for steelhead, and if they like them. If you have used them, please let us know the pros and cons of the noodle rods. They look like a lot of fun, but at the same time my Lamiglas is fun too.

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 11-05-2002, 02:09 PM   #2
bigfishon
Steelhead

Default Re: Noodle Rods

I have a few of them and I love to use them. There are some downfalls though. One if you land a fish if it is native it must be released, you play a fish alot longer on a noodle rod and you wear down the fish quite a bit makeing it harder to release safely. The other thing is I don't like to use them around other people cause once you hook a fish you will be playing it for a while and will hog up the hole some people get kinda bent about that. Most of them are built for 2 to 8Lb test line and can cast light stuf very well. They work very nice with delicate baits.
bigfishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:25 PM   #3
blacktail
Tuna!

The closest thing I have to a noodle rod is a 1141S Loomis - 9'6" 4-8 lb. rating.

I like to use it in medium to low flows. It protects lighter leaders well and it also allows you to put a lot of pressure on the fish while still being forgiving.

I landed my biggest steelhead ever on it. I think if you know how to play fish and use different "angles" on them while fighting you can whip them just as quick with a lighter rod.

Of course, it is not the rod to use for normal to higher flows.

Mike
Old 11-05-2002, 07:43 PM   #4
Flatfish
King Salmon

I got a cheapie from Ebay and i love it.It aint a loomis,but i don't need a super sensitive rod for jigs,freedrifting,or spinners(my main uses for it).It is 10 feet and much longer than I am used to(8'6" of course)bur it fille it's niche well.So well that I am looking for more applications for it.Mending/line control is a breeze.Longer casts with lighter lures too.And easy on soft baits.
Mark and the dog.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
Tilla
King Salmon

A few of us swear by the 9'6" 1141 like Blacktail has mentioned. We use Allstar brand. We get a lot of casting distance and it's easier on light 8-10 lb lines. It's an ideal side drifter. It does a good job as a bobber/jig rod too.
I am not sure its a noodle rod because it's got a little bit more backbone. But it's close.
(Now that my buddies have moved up to 9'6" 1141's, I moved up to 10'6" to get the distance edge )
Old 11-06-2002, 08:27 AM   #6
lightline
Steelhead

Wannabe got me started using noodle rods ten or twelve years ago and its been a blast. I don,t think it takes any longer to land a fish on the noodles than most other rods. I use 3.1 lb climax on a 11.6 loomis that rated 1-4 lbs. and if I don,t break it off on the hook set I can,t put enough pressure on it to break the leader. I use a #8 wire hook on a glo bug and thats about all I use, I usually never handle the fish so when I figure the fish is done I break it off. The few times that I hook a fish and it was taking to long I broke off. I also use a 9.6 loomis rated for 4-8 lbs when I want to go heavy, and it is probably the finest feeling rod iv,e ever used. Now I need a jig rod. Every on tells how easy it is to jig fish, its still a puzzle to me, I fish through a drift with a jig and I have a interesting time watching my bobber, I tie on a glo bug and fish the same drift and hook a couple of fish "arg". I am determined to catch a steely on a jig (maybe someday)
lightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:42 PM   #7
Tanner
Ifish Nate

I use a Lamiglas G1365 for all of my bobber and jig fishing. It is rated for 4- 10 lb line at 9'6" and has what I believe they call the Canadian style handle on it. A very short handle section from the reel seat to the butt and a very long foregrip. (above the real seat).
I absolutely love this rod. I usually never fish less than 8 lb line on it, but I have caught many very large steelhead on 8 lb line and I don't think it really took any longer than normal to land them.

[ 11-06-2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

Team Motion Marine Outback Fishing Machine Division)
Tanner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 07:53 PM   #8
bigfishon
Steelhead

Long lightwieght flyrod blanks make great noodle rods if you ever decide to build one.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:18 AM   #9
outdoor.spec.ops
Tuna!

Thanks for the info! I think Ill get a noodle rod and try it out. Im used to breaking steelhead off, so maybe this make it more enjoyable before they break off
Old 11-10-2002, 10:36 PM   #10
bigfishon
Steelhead

Just bought a new noodle rod made by shimano, will be a blast on the winter steelies. It is 11ft 6in and super limp from the handle on up, made for 4-6Lb line, and should if played right be able to get a nice size fish in on that line weight as it is "oh so limp". Have a blast with your noodles, see ya.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:44 PM   #11
TH
Ifish Nate

our most popular "noodle rod" is the TH 1384 in a spinning version. 11'6" rated 4-10# in a moderate action rod.
we also have built many of the 1382 blanks 11'6" 4-8# but the 1384 is our most popular rod.

Guns dont kill people.... Dad's with pretty daughters do.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I think I'll make some more!!!!
TH is offline   Reply With Quote