Green Peter Kokanee - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 05-14-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
sandrail001
Tuna!

Default Green Peter Kokanee

I would like to start a thread to keep everyone posted on the kokanee fishing at Green Peter.

Please post pics and updates.

Fish per boat vs hours fished
Jig or troll
fish depth
water temp
etc....

sandrail001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
sandrail001
Tuna!

Default Re: Green Peter Kokanee

I fished on 5-12 with my uncle, fishing was slow. we only picked up a hand full of kok's. The water temp was 55.6 and the fish we marked believe me or not were from 60-95 feet deep. We fished hard (trolling) and covered alot of water in search for these little buggers.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
minicuda
Coho

Fished for a few days 5/11, 5/12 caught a few kokes behind the island in the shallows. Caught them all above 15' pink micro hoochie with tuna oil corn worked great. Fishing so shallow made it tuff to keep the bows off caught alot of trout kept a few big uns. Water temp 53-54 in the main part of the lake 55-56 in the shallows.
Phil 4:13
I SUCK AT CATCHING FISH BUT JESUS LOVES ME ANYWAYS
minicuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Elkhuntr
Steelhead

5/14, 56 degrees on average fishing by myself 30 rainbows, no kokes for me. Fished top 20' from 6:00 to 1:00, dodger and hoochie and dodger wedding ring with different scented and died corn.

Last edited by Elkhuntr; 05-14-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Elkhuntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
mike edson
Steelhead

fished Green Peter Saturday 05-14-11 From 8:30 till 1:00 only one Koke by the wife. and put 2 trout in the boat. quite slow. weather kinda windy cold. so We went back to River bend campground and sat around the fire till Sunday Pm. Fishing was bad but camping was fun. All in all good time
Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
sandrail001
Tuna!

any current reports?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Capt'nMike
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrail001 View Post
any current reports?
Fished Monday, 5/16 all day. Lots of rainbow in the top 15 feet. Nada on the kokes. Lots of them marked in the 45-60 foot range. Tried the upper arms and the deep water. Beautiful day on the water though. Still better than any day working......loving this retirement stuff.
Capt'nMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

Out of curiosity, are all the rainbows people are catching stocker fish, or hold overs from last year? If they are hold overs, I would suspect they would be pretty tasty too.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
reel fast
Steelhead

5/14. We went to g.p the wife was catching all planters I was trying for larger fish and only caught one. 16 in native rainbow. There is a ton of stockers biting great for kids and the wife. Water is still coming into the lake real muddy. When the water clears up the bite will be on. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
sandrail001
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinookSlayer View Post
Out of curiosity, are all the rainbows people are catching stocker fish, or hold overs from last year? If they are hold overs, I would suspect they would be pretty tasty too.
the trout that we caught were planters, pale meat on one and the other had a slight pink shade to it. My grandfater lover trout and ate them up. I agree on the post that the trout are fun for the wife and kids. I think I will head up there this weekend so the kids can catch some fish.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Crabby2004
Coho

Fished Green Peter today. Not much luck on the kokanee. Only landed 2. The trout were thick. Lots of short strikes and missing baits when checked. The weather was very nice with only a small breeze from about 2:00 to 3:00 pm. Did not see much of Kokanee schooling yet. Foished all over the lake East of the Thistle Creek Ramp did not head towards the dam. Our Fishing Club has a Kokanee Derby here on Saturday and I feel the Catching is going to be tough. The fish we did catch were at 30 feet deep.
Crabby2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

It is funny, but it seems the fish bite better when the lake has some disturbance. I had days last year which were picture perfect for weather and nice smooth lake top, but the bite never came on. On the days which had wind ripple, the bite was better.

Also, last year around this time, for the most part, I was fishing 30' deep too, and blind because my fishfinder was not working correctly. I did have some days, where the long liners were doing better, but the 30' depth was pretty consitent into June.

I have yet to go this year, but was going to try the long liner's club, due to advice from our famous Kent Cannon. It would be nice to see the fish strike the pole!

Thanks for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby2004 View Post
Fished Green Peter today. Not much luck on the kokanee. Only landed 2. The trout were thick. Lots of short strikes and missing baits when checked. The weather was very nice with only a small breeze from about 2:00 to 3:00 pm. Did not see much of Kokanee schooling yet. Foished all over the lake East of the Thistle Creek Ramp did not head towards the dam. Our Fishing Club has a Kokanee Derby here on Saturday and I feel the Catching is going to be tough. The fish we did catch were at 30 feet deep.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
kokaneekid
Chromer

I'm going to make a go of it tomorrow... I was thinking that the fish would be at 40 feet, but I can deal with 30... Way better than 10 like the last time I fished it.... Thanks for the report I'm thinking that the fishing is going to be better and I working on ONE limit but we'll see I might be putting the mark to high....

Fish On kokaneekid
kokaneekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
Fishmania
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokaneekid View Post
I'm going to make a go of it tomorrow... I was thinking that the fish would be at 40 feet, but I can deal with 30... Way better than 10 like the last time I fished it.... Thanks for the report I'm thinking that the fishing is going to be better and I working on ONE limit but we'll see I might be putting the mark to high....

Fish On kokaneekid
Please give report when you get home today, we're heading up tomorrow. thanks in advance.
Fishmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Elkhuntr
Steelhead

We will be there tomorrow as well, gonna try hard to catch at least one Koke.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #16
Ephraim Hackett
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhuntr View Post
We will be there tomorrow as well, gonna try hard to catch at least one Koke.
Fished GP yesterday from around 7:30 until 4:00 with a friend. Fished mostly in mid lake between boat ramp and the island. We caught limits of planter trout and only 2 koks. I fished mostly at 35' and friend fished long line with one oz weight. Saw quite a few on the finder at depths of 20' down to below 50'. EH
Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
Chass
Ifish Nate

I fished with Justin in his very nice new Boulton yesterday! Thanks Justin!

We put the boat in the water around 6:00 pm and headed for the island. There were plenty of others milling around there. We caught one trout there and then headed up the Northern arm. Caught one more trout. Pulled the boat after 9:00 pm.

It was a beautiful evening on the water but no Kokes. We threw everything at them. If they were biting we would have caught at least some. Marked a few fish at 12 to 25 feet but they could have been trout.

Chass
ct
Old 05-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #18
Arklite881South
Fry

I was up there thurs, lot's of boats, met some of the Linn Country Road Dept guys on the way up to the boat ramp. Then, found out on the way back down they did some asphalt patching on a couple of curves that had some really bad dips in the road surface. They did a pretty good job, i know i sure appreciate it, when coming down lot less bump in the road now. If your out there, ''thanks, guys", we fishermen/boat people sure appreciate it. You did a great job.
Arklite881South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
SnakeRanger1
Fry

The slow fishing at GP during the weeks before Memorial Day weekend has been occurring as long as I can remember. When they start filling Foster it reduces the water at GP. The water level change at GP has a dramatic effect on the Kokanee fishing at GP. Why? I have no idea.. It will take several weeks after foster is filled to recover. It's worth looking at the water flows for GP dam. Yes, They can really make a good fisherman look bad. It's all good... The fish are there they are experiencing a minor case of lock jaw.

SnakeRanger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #20
Capt'nMike
Coho

Fished GP Friday 5/20 for about 7 hours. Picked up two kokes and a bunch of rainbow.... Going to be a slow Kokanee starter it looks like.....fished primarily the 30-40 foot range.
Capt'nMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:04 AM   #21
duckshot
Steelhead

Fished GP yesterday with the Coho Cowboy. We launched at about 6:00 am. I was surprised to see that over half the boat parking at Thistle Creek already being used!

Fishing was real slow. The majority of fish we caught were down about 30 feet. Pink was still the go-to color of the day but did get a couple on green. We tried both east of the Island along the shore and up by the dam. Caught fish in both places but was better east of the island.

We fished till about 3:30 and caught 10 Kokes and about the same number of trout which we released except for one larger one that got damaged by the hook too badly.

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/data/50...m/P5210030.jpg

Last edited by duckshot; 06-09-2011 at 09:58 PM.
duckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #22
Simon Peter
Chromer

With all these great trout reports for GP, I rallied the kids and wife for a Bow-Trip!

After a nice greasy breakfast at Shirley-Mae's and arriving at the crack of 9:00 AM we were blessed to see a VERY full ramp at Thissle so we moved down to the campground and launched. Trolled East up to the far end of the lake and finally located the "school".

About 8 acres of planter trout up on the surface feeding. We didn't find these fish until about 12:30 and then it was a crazy bite. We finally ended up just dragging spinners way behind the boat with no weight and had two kids in the bow casting to fish on the surface.

Kids got lots of experience casting - nobody lost their eyes or sustained a flesh wound, so that is always a bonus!

We ended up with 15 rainbow and a fun day!

To boot, we saw all the monster-bass boats heading in for a tournament that was finishing. We ran back to Thissle to watch them weigh in the fish which was a lot of fun. Kids could not believe how plush those bass-boats were

If you are looking for fun for the kids - just put on some spinners and go! Might put a rudder in front of them to avoid line twist.

We caught 1 Koke also

Here are a couple of glory shots!

Last edited by Simon Peter; 05-22-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Add some pictures
Simon Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #23
Elkhuntr
Steelhead

5/21 put in at 5:30 and took out at 2:30 got one Kokanee on a long line 100', no weight on a dodger wedding ring after trolling all day at various depths with the down riggers. Plenty of trout available and surface temps are from 57 to 59 degrees.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #24
samntrllr
Chromer

[/QUOTE]
That is a great picture, take the young uns out and get them some trout. They will remember this day, good for you!!!

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much;
Walter Lippmann
samntrllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #25
Cannon
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Peter View Post
With all these great trout reports for GP, I rallied the kids and wife for a Bow-Trip!

After a nice greasy breakfast at Shirley-Mae's and arriving at the crack of 9:00 AM we were blessed to see a VERY full ramp at Thissle so we moved down to the campground and launched. Trolled East up to the far end of the lake and finally located the "school".

About 8 acres of planter trout up on the surface feeding. We didn't find these fish until about 12:30 and then it was a crazy bite. We finally ended up just dragging spinners way behind the boat with no weight and had two kids in the bow casting to fish on the surface.

Kids got lots of experience casting - nobody lost their eyes or sustained a flesh wound, so that is always a bonus!

We ended up with 15 rainbow and a fun day!

To boot, we saw all the monster-bass boats heading in for a tournament that was finishing. We ran back to Thissle to watch them weigh in the fish which was a lot of fun. Kids could not believe how plush those bass-boats were

If you are looking for fun for the kids - just put on some spinners and go! Might put a rudder in front of them to avoid line twist.

We caught 1 Koke also

That is what it is all about! Thanks for the report. It seems that with all of the trouble in the world today, the only thing that brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart is to see the kids having a great day on the water. Their smiles tell much more than mere words. Thanks for making my day!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #26
sandrail001
Tuna!

Went to the lake yesterday and I let the kids fish for a while until they got a call to go to the coast with their grandma, Of course fishing was done and back to the ramp we went. They had fun they each caught a trout. That was a long drive for two trout and 35 min of fishing. The girls had fun and thats all that matters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me_and_Nic.jpg (81.9 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg nat_and_kyle.jpg (71.9 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by sandrail001; 05-22-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 05-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #27
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

You know Jeff, those kids are just good looking. I guess they must take after your wife? :backlaugh:

Glad to see you are out getting into some fun. I need to get out too, just a matter of getting the honey do's knocked off the list.'

Quote:

Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
Simon Peter
Chromer

Love the smiles! That makes it worth the drive!

Quote:
Went to the lake yesterday and I let the kids fish for a while until they got a call to go to the coast with their grandma, Of course fishing was done and back to the ramp we went. They had fun they each caught a trout. That was a long drive for two trout and 35 min of fishing. The girls had fun and thats all that matters.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #29
BeaverBoy
Chromer

Fished saturday with my Dad and we caught only 2 Kokanne and a bunch of trout. I was surprised at how full the lot was at 700am. I sure wish that people would learn to park between the lines and not hog up 2 spots. Also now that I am on my soap box, I wish people would back the the trailers as far back as they can, it sure makes it alot easier for the next person to back in beside them.
BeaverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #30
Simon Peter
Chromer

Just to let you know there was a Bass tournament on Saturday. Most of those guys are from out of the area and will not be back. I think most of them were the problem. Most guys do a pretty good job and some others of us need to improve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBoy View Post
Fished saturday with my Dad and we caught only 2 Kokanne and a bunch of trout. I was surprised at how full the lot was at 700am. I sure wish that people would learn to park between the lines and not hog up 2 spots. Also now that I am on my soap box, I wish people would back the the trailers as far back as they can, it sure makes it alot easier for the next person to back in beside them.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #31
sandrail001
Tuna!

Quote:
Just to let you know there was a Bass tournament on Saturday. Most of those guys are from out of the area and will not be back. I think most of them were the problem. Most guys do a pretty good job and some others of us need to improve!

That makes since why Lebanon was crawling with Bass boats Sat evening.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #32
luckyj
Steelhead

Fished 5-20. Launched at about 4 pm. Lots of boats pulling out and launching. Single lane launching good times. Headed out. Ended up with 6 keeper trout. Loaded around 9:30 w/ four others. GP sure is getting popular. Can't wait for the wake board crowd. Wish there where more reservoirs in the valley with fish.
luckyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #33
Jurasic Cowboy
Steelhead

Fished GP today from 8-5. We boated 5 nice kokes and 10 bows. Kokes were taken at 25-30ft on down rigger. Orange and yellow hoochie and pearl wiggle hoochies were the hot lures. Water temp was 55.7. Did not mark a lot of fish. Fished mainly around the island and opposite shore.
Jurasic Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #34
sandrail001
Tuna!

I heard some second hand reports that the kok fishing is picking up, does anyone have any reports from over the weekend
Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #35
The Pew
Tuna!

I didn't mark any big schools. Not sure if the weather change scattered them or I just didn't bump into them. Had a bite by the dam from 12-1 on Saturday.

50' on the downrigger using pink, pink/white, orange/pink hoochies behind 000 hammered chrome dodgers.

All fish measured 11.5 inches on the tape measure except one 9" runt.

I would say it is picking up but you still have to work at it.
The Pew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

Wow, 50' deep seems kind of unusual for this time of year, but you are not the only one reporting fish at that depth, so they must be mixed up a bit this season. typically in the spring you will find them spread out a lot, and not mark much on the fish finder, but pick up reliable numbers at 30' deep. Last year this worked well enough, that even though my fish finder was not working at the start of last year, I just set the down rigger at 30', and had good success using spoons.

There were a few days that the down rigger didn't produce well, and I saw people long lining doing better, which I figured meant the fish were shallower and would scatter when the boat was passing by.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #37
Nathan Bohlmann
Steelhead

vanilla is not just for cooking a little fishie told me
Old 06-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #38
duckshot
Steelhead

I posted this on a different thread, but will post it here as well. My wife and I went yesterday. I usually go on Friday or Saturdays. This was my first time on a Monday. I'll have to do that more often. No lines at the ramp, a pretty quiet lake, only a few boats out. We launched at about 6:30 and took out around 2:00. Fished mostly up by the dam but also gave a try about a half mile east of the island on the southernly side.

We caught 9 with a couple just under 15 inches. Like others report, we saw few groups on the fish finder. Water temp at around 58 degrees. Most of the fish were caught in the 35 - 45 foot depth range. Some running green and some running pink. Never did find a "hot" color.

Overall a fun day.

Last edited by duckshot; 06-07-2011 at 06:45 AM. Reason: fix spelling error
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #39
Wigeon Pete
Chromer

Fished on Friday from 8:30-3:30 and landed only one koke jiging. Those with downriggers (not me) were hammering them fishing about 65' using purple and pink (my friends). Marked all kinds of fish by the dam and south side of the island. On Sunday I fished from 6-11:30 and caught nothing and marked very few fish??? Most reports were slow. Stopped and got a downrigger on my way home......
Wigeon Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #40
Jurasic Cowboy
Steelhead

Fished Sunday 8-4 hooked 14 landed 10. Most out 6 colors on leaded line. The rest down 45ft on rigger. Pink, pearl, and yellow/orange hoochies. Caught them at the island and by the dam. Lots of fish marked at the dam.

Last edited by Jurasic Cowboy; 06-07-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Jurasic Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:44 PM   #41
sandrail001
Tuna!

any new updates
Old 06-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #42
hotrodr
Fry

Quote:
any new updates

Fished Yesteday from 8 till 12. Caught 1 fish on an orange wedding ring with Ford fenders. Sling blades and hoochies didnt get a bite. fished South bank opposite the island. Didnt see many fish being caugt all day.
hotrodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #43
Wigeon Pete
Chromer

Fished Friday 6/24 with my Mom from 9-4. Tough fishing! I caught one dink and she landed 3 nice ones to 14". Lost one at the boat, and had a few others shake off early. 40' with purple apex behind slingblade caught all the fish. A few bites on other offerings. We marked almost no fish. Quick trip to Hagg Lake Saturday for my Pop, then Sunday.....will I be back?
Wigeon Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 AM   #44
cully
Ifish Nate

fished to boom 11-4 not a bump. Five other boats were there too and only one hand a fish. ONE.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #45
duckshot
Steelhead

Fished Green Peter yesterday (Saturday). My friend Chris had just gotten some work done on his Trophy and wanted to shake it out a little before hitting the salt. So he, his daughter Callie and I hit the road on a lot nicer boat than I am used to.

We got a bit of a late start and didn't get on the water until just before 8:00. Bite was real slow in the morning and the wind picked up pretty good in the afternoon. We managed to get 16 with Callie getting most of them. Green was the best color for us and most were taken from around 50 feet.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #46
RayandMandi
Chromer

Taking my dad out Sat for his b-day......any fresh reports? I like the one above
RayandMandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #47
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

I got out yesterday for the first trip this year. Kind of late, but better than never. Kind of a goofy day as I slept through my alarm, so didn't get fishing until 8:00, new motor on the boat, so getting the trolling speed figured out with it, new fishing reel too.

Started out trolling the north points just out from the boat launch, and headed up towards the Dam, without marking really any fish. Picked up a few, but the further towards the dam I went, the fewer the fish. Headed back down the lake and fished the south side across from the boat launch and marked fish. Missed a few bites there, and headed on towards the floating bathroom. Nailed a spunky fish right by the bathroom that made several long runs. If it wasen't for my new reel (Kalex 61), that fish would have been a gonner.

Prett much everytime I passed by the point just west of the bathroom, I would get a bite. Finally decided to troll back to the boat ramp, and picked up my last fish just west of the bathroom area.

I ended the day with only 5 fish, but must have lost twice that many. Kind of unusual to lose that many with double hooks and all. Several short bites which made the rod tip bounce, but never hooked up.

Most of the fish were down around 45', and I was fishing spoons and modified wedding rings.

Had a good day, and even though 5 fish are not anything to brag about, I was happy with what I had, so a great day on the water fishing for Koke's again. There was 3 dudes in a sled out there that had the magic turned on, as they were popping the rods out of the clips left and right. Don't know what they were using, but put on a show for everybody else. One was wearing a red sweatshirt, so if you are reading this, cough up your secrets

Now I just need to figure out how to slow my troll down with the new motor...

For those who might be looking for a good Kokanee reel, the Abu Garcia Kalex 61/60 are quite nice. I picked mine up at Bi-Mart for $59. Good line capacity, smooth responsive drag, and nice handling. I am very happy with my purchase.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #48
grayfish
Steelhead

Thanks for the report slayer.
I dont know whats up with GP hasnt got hot yet going up there in a week I will throw everything I have at em.
David
grayfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #49
RayandMandi
Chromer

Been out since 0600....few short strikes early then nothing.seen only 4-5 caught. Have thrown the entire box in at 35-60'......may be my first day ever skunked at GP
RayandMandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #50
Big Smizz
Steelhead

I consider myself a better than average koke fisherman, but I was skunked today at GP. NOT EVEN A BITE! What a weird year..........
Big Smizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:35 AM   #51
alaska 41
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smizz View Post
I consider myself a better than average koke fisherman, but I was skunked today at GP. NOT EVEN A BITE! What a weird year..........
I to am not that bad of a fisherman but I found the same thing. I haven't been skunked but on Friday I could smell the skunk on the boat then I finally got a few. But I agree it has been a slow year. I keep marking a lot of fish on the bottom are they Kokanee or suckers?
alaska 41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #52
Snapset
Ifish Nate

Fished Friday aftenoon 3-9. It was slow. Caught about 1 an hour until 8:45 pm 55 feet deep, then they moved up to 30 feet and started hitting aggressively. Even caught a triple with 2 rods. How 2 fish managed to get hooked on 2 hooks 1 inch apart, I'll never know, but they sure fight different. Dodgers and red wedding rings worked best for me.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #53
cully
Ifish Nate

I also fished friday 3-9. Saturday too 9-5. 99% of my time was on the boom jigging. My take was one and I saw 4 others caught by the other jiggers. Let's see what a week or two of 80 degree weather does for the kokes locked jaws
Old 07-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #54
Metal Manipulator

On 7/2 two of us caught ten in the morning. When the sun was up on the water the bite shut off. then the wind which usualy picks up the bite. Dropped off my friend and went back to fishing. I fought the wind all afternoon even up at the dam. About 5:00pm I started trolling back to the launch and about half way there the port rod goes off and I get a big fish shaken on the line. I am just about to net the fish and I look over at the port rod and it is bouncing. I quickly net the fish and drop net and all in the boat then jumped to the other side and pop the fish oiut of the clip. Low and behold I land a double 14.5lb Koke and an 18in. Chinook. I wish I wuld have caught that fish at the tournament it woiuld have been worth $100 bucks. Ended the eay with 25 fish with 15 that I caught by myself in the late afternoon bite. Most fish caught on Sling blades and pink/clear hoochie's.

Me Crab Loui and TR1.
Morrage location Newport
Boat lady Irish

NW CUSTOM BOAT WORKS

nwcustomboatworks.com

WE BUILD CUSTOM ARCHES
Metal Manipulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #55
dog501
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Manipulator View Post
On 7/2 two of us caught ten in the morning. When the sun was up on the water the bite shut off. then the wind which usualy picks up the bite. Dropped off my friend and went back to fishing. I fought the wind all afternoon even up at the dam. About 5:00pm I started trolling back to the launch and about half way there the port rod goes off and I get a big fish shaken on the line. I am just about to net the fish and I look over at the port rod and it is bouncing. I quickly net the fish and drop net and all in the boat then jumped to the other side and pop the fish oiut of the clip. Low and behold I land a double Kok14.5lb e and an 18in. Chinook. I wish I wuld have caught that fish at the tournament it woiuld have been worth $100 bucks. Ended the eay with 25 fish with 15 that I caught by myself in the late afternoon bite. Most fish caught on Sling blades and pink/clear hoochie's.

Me Crab Loui and TR1.
14.5 lb kok that a big kok.
dog501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #56
Metal Manipulator

Ha Ha Ha yea typo or I would be crowing and headin to and official weighin center.
Morrage location Newport
Boat lady Irish

NW CUSTOM BOAT WORKS

nwcustomboatworks.com

WE BUILD CUSTOM ARCHES
Old 07-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #57
minicuda
Coho

Quote:
On 7/2 two of us caught ten in the morning. When the sun was up on the water the bite shut off. then the wind which usualy picks up the bite. Dropped off my friend and went back to fishing. I fought the wind all afternoon even up at the dam. About 5:00pm I started trolling back to the launch and about half way there the port rod goes off and I get a big fish shaken on the line. I am just about to net the fish and I look over at the port rod and it is bouncing. I quickly net the fish and drop net and all in the boat then jumped to the other side and pop the fish oiut of the clip. Low and behold I land a double 14.5lb Koke and an 18in. Chinook. I wish I wuld have caught that fish at the tournament it woiuld have been worth $100 bucks. Ended the eay with 25 fish with 15 that I caught by myself in the late afternoon bite. Most fish caught on Sling blades and pink/clear hoochie's.

Me Crab Loui and TR1.
What was the water traffic like? Were there lots of boats up for the holiday weekend?
Phil 4:13
I SUCK AT CATCHING FISH BUT JESUS LOVES ME ANYWAYS
minicuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #58
Metal Manipulator

We launched at Witcomb and there was a short line. Waiting untill 8:00 to take out and there was still a short line. All in all it was not bad. Most boats I saw were between the island and the out house.
Morrage location Newport
Boat lady Irish

NW CUSTOM BOAT WORKS

nwcustomboatworks.com

WE BUILD CUSTOM ARCHES
Old 07-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #59
ChinookSlayer
Tuna!

Quote:
Most fish caught on Sling blades and pink/clear hoochie's.
I bought some pink/clear UV hoochies this year at the sportsman show, but in my one trip out this year, haven't tried them yet. I also bought some purple/pink hoochies which I want to try. The reasoning being, that down deeper in the water column, the purples still look purple while other colors go to black. I've had really good luch with a trout colored needle fish in the past, and was think about that when I bought the purple hoochies.

I'm typically more of a Seps man, but with my new kicker, I might have to use more sling blades because my slowest troll is a little faster than I'm used to.

Just went, and here I am hankering to go again
Old 07-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #60
Metal Manipulator

If the wind is blowing I put out the drift socks on the front corners of the boat and some times I dangle the anchor off the bow. This helps control the boat and slow it down.
Morrage location Newport
Boat lady Irish

NW CUSTOM BOAT WORKS

nwcustomboatworks.com

WE BUILD CUSTOM ARCHES