Mounting a Bear Rug on a wall? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 04-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate

Default Mounting a Bear Rug on a wall?

Moving my man cave (office) and I want to mount my bear rug up on the wall. What is the best way to do this? It does not have any loops or anything sewed onto the back. I have heard that staples might be the way to go, has anyone mounted one this way? What length of staples have you used? I'm open to any other methods.

Here's the rug on the floor...

Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Rocklock
Chromer

Default Re: Mounting a Bear Rug on a wall?

I hung one of mine with black furniture nails. They're basically a black thumbtack with a 1/2" shank. Blends in pretty well with the black backing.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
300wbymann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklock View Post
I hung one of mine with black furniture nails. They're basically a black thumbtack with a 1/2" shank. Blends in pretty well with the black backing.
i do the same thing, i've moved mine 100 times( just a guess) since i had it mounted when i was 16. at mid 30's now, it's moved alot. funrature tacks every times, never once had an issue with it.
300wbymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
bullelk
Fry

Mine are both hung with staples.
bullelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
hilclimber
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300wbymann View Post
i do the same thing, i've moved mine 100 times( just a guess) since i had it mounted when i was 16. at mid 30's now, it's moved alot. funrature tacks every times, never once had an issue with it.
So Basically theyu are just in the sheet rock then I take it? Not sure how much one weighs...still haven't gotten mine back....not that Im anxious...its only been 11 months...

Cervid Enhancement Team
hilclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
millsymojo
Tuna!

How large/heavy the rug is makes a difference. Both the tacks and staples ideas above are good ways to go. . . . especially for black bear. It certainly works to get the rug "flush" against the wall.

I personally like to have some "tougher" hardware involved if it is a large black bear or a brown bear. You can use the kind of hardware with wire loops/metal rings attached, and then use nails/bolts to adhere to wall. You usually screw that kind of hardware into the underneath of the head and/or paw regions for one to five contact points. There are different types of screw/loop/ring for this, but the gist is the same. You get stronger metal involved for weightbearing with heavier parts of the bear. You can then tack down the edges with similar color tack as felt of rug. That way the weightbearing is done from underneath. The tacks or staples that keep the rug flush are not bearing all the weight, and, therefore, are not tearing or putting stress on the felt part of the rug.

I have a black bear rug that I hung with one screw/loop under the chin then attached to the wall with a nail. I then tacked down the felt edges in order to aid in weightbearing and to make flush with the wall. I have a brown bear rug that has five contact points (head and four paws) that are all loop/rings screwed into the underneath of the rug and then nailed into the wall (into studs on this one). Because they are "heavy duty" and under tension in all directions I do not have any of the edges tacked/stapled. It appears flush with the wall.

There a variety of ways, and it depends what kind of wall it's attached to, how heavy the rug/bear is, and how comfortable you are with its permanence as hung on the wall etc. I tend towards overkill I think.

As a side note: When hanging on a wall and unsure of exactly how/where to hang it for angle/location/size etc. . . . lay the rug on the floor and cover it with an old bed sheet. Then cut out the bed sheet like you are tracing the rug. You can then "hang" the bed sheet on the wall to see exactly how you want the rug to look and establish where on wall you want your contact points. It's a pretty slick idea, and one that I have to give my wife all the credit for. Not only does she enjoy the taxidermy theme . . . she wants input as to where it goes and how it all fits together.

Good luck figuring out what works for you. BTW That looks to be a nice bear rug. Congratulations

Last edited by millsymojo; 04-10-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: content
millsymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
MulieMike
Chromer

Find some "T" pins. they are about a inch and a half long and you can push them threw the paws of the bear and a couple spots on the body. the "T" pins hide very well. they will hold strong in the sheet rock if you push them in at a downward angle. should be able to get a hanger to screw into the head and hang it by a nail with a head and make sure the nail is in a stud on the wall...with the "T" pins you want to miss the studs.
MulieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
JerryM
Ifish Nate

Stitch some rings or loops on to the back. Won't take more than a couple minutes.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
flounder pounder
Tuna!

take two sheets of plywood lay rug centered on plywood 50/50 trace with sharpie just under last layer of felt cut out plywood with jig saw, join two pieces of plywood onn back with I brackets, staple rug to plywood underneath the second layer of felt (hidden) with heavy stapler, then place entire unit on wall use stud finder or thump thump method to find studs, then use screw gun to put around 8 wood screws in and wa la pro stuff bb
flounder pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
cosmic cowboy

I did a nice Roosevelt bull skin with cape and tried 3/4 staples and they came out. I went to upholstery tacks (1/2") and they work fine. I have moved it and if you use a nail puller you can pull the skin off the wall and the tacks stay in it ready for the next mount. It has to be strong enough to hold up to robust dusting even on a wall
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #11
Keta
King Salmon

Mine have rings sewn onto the felt at each paw and they haing well.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
beaverheart
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORsouthpaw View Post
Moving my man cave (office) and I want to mount my bear rug up on the wall. What is the best way to do this? It does not have any loops or anything sewed onto the back. I have heard that staples might be the way to go, has anyone mounted one this way? What length of staples have you used? I'm open to any other methods.

Here's the rug on the floor...

You have a ton of great suggestions but here is another. One of the nicest presentations for a bear rug on a wall is to mount it so the head of the bear is resting flat on a small table. It not only allows he viewer to directly into the face of the bear but it takes quite a bit of weight off of the rug on the wall reducing the stress on the hide. Good luck!
beaverheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverheart View Post
You have a ton of great suggestions but here is another. One of the nicest presentations for a bear rug on a wall is to mount it so the head of the bear is resting flat on a small table. It not only allows he viewer to directly into the face of the bear but it takes quite a bit of weight off of the rug on the wall reducing the stress on the hide. Good luck!
Good idea, I rotate mine every time I vaccume it due to the weight of the head.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
in 'em

Little nails...2" apart or so, all the way around...that's how a lot of guys do it...I'd vote for loops or the the plywood (even thinner plywood woud be good) for ease of movement and less holes in the wall...BUT, if you don't plan to move it, the furniture nails would look cool.
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote