Hunting with an AR. - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

Default Hunting with an AR.

What big game can you hunt in Oregon with an AR 15 and what if anything do you need to do to make it legal?
Thanks.

ICDeadElk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
daiello91
King Salmon

Default Re: Hunting with an AR.

Everything but Elk, Bighorn Sheep & Rocky Mt Goat
5 Round Hunting Mag required.

Last edited by daiello91; 04-02-2011 at 09:05 AM.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
PIR8 Hook
Ifish Nate

I assume you are talking .223???? There are a lot of other calibers, (.243, 7mm-08, .308 just to name a few) in the AR platform....Clear up to the .50 Beowulf.

The main thing is a 4 shot magazine is a must for game... semi-autos are limited to a capasity of 5.

I think you'll draw a lot of comments saying that the .223 is too small for ethical hunting of game animals. It is a "legal" cartridge for deer,cougar, antelope, & bear but not elk, big horn, & mt. goats.... I for one would be hard pressed to pull the trigger on a bear with a .223...give me a .338 WM for that.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

I generally bow hunt, but mainly was wondering about cougar and fall bear. Not hunting for bear, but shooting one if given the opportunity. Yes, 5.56/223. So if I go out mushroom hunting this spring and carry it with a 30 round mag, am I illegal if I shoot a cougar with it?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pir8 hook View Post
i assume you are talking .223???? There are a lot of other calibers, (.243, 7mm-08, .308 just to name a few) in the ar platform....clear up to the .50 beowulf.

the main thing is a 4 shot magazine is a must for game... Semi-autos are limited to a capasity of 5.

i think you'll draw a lot of comments saying that the .223 is too small for ethical hunting of game animals. It is a "legal" cartridge for deer,cougar, antelope, & bear but not elk, big horn, & mt. Goats.... I for one would be hard pressed to pull the trigger on a bear with a .223...give me a .338 wm for that.
.308 ar = ar10.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDeadElk View Post
I generally bow hunt, but mainly was wondering about cougar and fall bear. Not hunting for bear, but shooting one if given the opportunity. Yes, 5.56/223. So if I go out mushroom hunting this spring and carry it with a 30 round mag, am I illegal if I shoot a cougar with it?
Not unless you can legally claim it was a posing an imminent threat to your life or someone with you. They will investigate.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

So legally, I couldn't take a cougar with a 40 s&w pistol with a 16 round magazine unless it was posing a threat? Or a 10 round magazine for that matter.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
DirectDrive
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
.308 ar = ar10.
There is a 30AR that was designed for the AR15 frame but yes, .308 AR generally points to the larger frame AR10 or SR25.
http://www.remington.com/product-fam...ington-ar.aspx
DirectDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

I don't like that one bit. Isn't it safe to say that any cougar within 100 yards poses an imminent threat.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Butcher45
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiello91 View Post
Correct. To legally kill a cougar with a cougar tag you must fire with a 5 round magazine.
Curious.....what about handgun hunting? Does this mean 6-shot revolvers, and semi-auto pistols are out for big game as well?

I bought a cougar tag just in case I was forced to shoot a cougar in defense with a back-up pistol while airgun hunting.

Click image for .45 airgun slideshow

Last edited by Butcher45; 04-02-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Butcher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
daiello91
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher45 View Post
Curious.....what about handgun hunting? Does this mean 6-shot revolvers, and semi-auto pistols are out for big game as well?
"Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel)."

That's the reg quote...it says rifle so maybe handguns are exempt.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...gs_001-030.pdf
Page 30.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
Butcher45
Chromer

Quote:
I don't like that one bit. Isn't it safe to say that any cougar within 100 yards poses an imminent threat.
100 yards probably not.....from that distance I would just yell at it if I wasn't legal to shoot it.

If a cougar pops-up inside 25 yards...... 25 yards is a hop/skip/jump for a cougar. Not going to try to "scare it off" from only 25 yards away. When startled, it may be just as likely to attack as it would be to flee at that short of a distance.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #13
The_Bone
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by icdeadelk View Post
so legally, i couldn't take a cougar with a 40 s&w pistol with a 16 round magazine unless it was posing a threat? Or a 10 round magazine for that matter.
as far as a legal harvest and tagging it goes...no. But like was said before if you or anyone else is in danger you can put the animal down by any means available.
JUST MAKE SURE LAW ENFORCEMENT IS NOTIFIED ASAP AND YOU DONT MOVE THE ANIMAL AT ALL, OR YOU COULD END UP IN A LITTLE TROUBLE.

Last edited by The_Bone; 04-02-2011 at 09:53 AM.
The_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
The_Bone
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcher45 View Post
curious.....what about handgun hunting? Does this mean 6-shot revolvers, and semi-auto pistols are out for big game as well?

I bought a cougar tag just in case i was forced to shoot a cougar in defense with a back-up pistol while airgun hunting.
i think hand gun hunting has a diffrent set of regs, i dont know for sure but i do know that a six shot revolver is legal to hunt with. But you have to have your tag stamped handgun. At least with big game anyway.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
CoyoteRayG
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bone View Post
i think hand gun hunting has a diffrent set of regs, i dont know for sure but i do know that a six shot revolver is legal to hunt with. But you have to have your tag stamped handgun. At least with big game anyway.
'With hurricanes, tornados, fires, mud slides, flooding, thunderstorms, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?' - Jay Leno
CoyoteRayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Butcher45
Chromer

Quote:

I thought they did away with the "handgun" tags in Oregon awhile back? I wasn't asked which weapon I would be using when I bought the cougar tag.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
The_Bone
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcher45 View Post
i thought they did away with the "handgun" tags in oregon awhile back? I wasn't asked which weapon i would be using when i bought the cougar tag.
they may very well have. I dont know for sure, but the last i knew that was the way it worked. I may just have to look into that.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
The_Bone
Steelhead

Quote:
they may very well have. I dont know for sure, but the last i knew that was the way it worked. I may just have to look into that.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...ns/weapons.asp
Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #19
X1093X
Steelhead

stick to a 5 rnd mag, they are easy to get, and you are good to go.
X1093X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1093X View Post
stick to a 5 rnd mag, they are easy to get, and you are good to go.
And 60gr Partition bullets OR Barnes X Triple Shocks as I think anything less is just going to make a bear or cougar very angy, not to mention a very unhumane kill.

In fact a pistol loaded w/ solids might be agrued to be more effecive from a penetration perspective.

I personally don't think much of the .223 for big game use. But with the right bullet, the .223 should do fine an cougars if placed right.
Hunt'nFish
Old 04-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #21
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

I am going to be doing my own reloads so I should be able to get a good round for knock down power, at least as much as is possible with 223, but still only intend on taking predators if the opportunity presents itself, not a relentless pursuit.

So if I carry a 5 round magazine with me when mushroom hunting, I should be good to go.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
forkslayer
Fry

Regs are clear to anyone who can read English. MAGAZINE capacity limited to 5 rds in semi-auto RIFLES. semi auto pistols are OK regardless of capacity, revolvers are not semi-auto, and you DON'T include the round in the chamber towards the magazine capacity. No special validation is required to handgun hunt. JUST READ THE BOOK! I run a gun shop, and people still ask me if Magnums are limited to 3 rounds (been out of the regs over a decade), and "why can't I load more than 5 in my lever .30/30?" (never been restricted, again NOT SEMI-AUTO!) Read the regs every year, and you will never have a problem. As a matter of fact, they just added an ok to rifle hunt during elk season with a FILLED TAG as long as you have a valid bear tag! So now, when I fill my elk tag on opening morning i don't have to stay in camp while everyone else is hunting. I can go shoot my bear! Again, READ THE REGULATIONS!!!!! They are free!!!! rant off
forkslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #23
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

No thanks, I'll stick with ifish.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #24
BanannaMan
Steelhead

Quote:
No thanks, I'll stick with ifish.

What are regulations? You mean I can't just do what people say you can do on the internet?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #25
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

Well I think they should at least have a hunter without a college education on the editing team with the regulations so it wasn't up for so much speculation.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM   #26
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Well I think they should at least have a hunter without a college education on the editing team with the regulations so it wasn't up for so much speculation.
I have a college education and even I seem to get into trouble from time to time.
But what gets me in trouble are all the constant red line changes they keep making every year.
I think it best if you just keep a set of regs in your hip pocket anymore.

I had someone tell me the other day that 50bmg was not legal for elk hunting in Oregon.
I find nothing that says no 50cal restrictions. But then again they always seem to hide stuff like this in the regs in some obscure section.
Hunt'nFish
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

Maybe our friend forkslayer can enlighten you on that matter, he has the regs memorized.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #28
forkslayer
Fry

Quote:
Maybe our friend forkslayer can enlighten you on that matter, he has the regs memorized.
No restrictions on use of .50 BMG in oregon. Yet. I keep a copy of the regs in the bathroom. Way better use of time than my wife's Good Housekeeping or whatever she's reading this week!
forkslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #29
Orion
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkslayer View Post
No restrictions on use of .50 BMG in oregon. Yet. I keep a copy of the regs in the bathroom. Way better use of time than my wife's Good Housekeeping or whatever she's reading this week!
Multi-tasking

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #30
ICDeadElk
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkslayer View Post
Now that's funny right there, if you cant laugh at that, get the heck outta here.

I pull a chair in with my laptop. LOL. With a nice cushion seat. So it's safe to say, I have the regs too.