Felon bow hunters - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Speed Goat
Steelhead

Default Felon bow hunters

The law states felons cannot be in possession of a firearm, even if one wasn't used in the crime. So it's a punishment, not wanting felons to own weapons. I agree with the law, but it begs the question, why do we allow felons to own bows and bow hunt. Do felons really deserve to hunt? If they can't be trusted with a gun, should they be trusted with a bow?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
rsalata@msn.com
Steelhead

Default Re: Felon bow hunters

Because hunting with a bow is not consered a weapon. They cannot have a gun or rifle. I checked this with my neighbor who is a Dep. Sheriff..
Old 03-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
dla
Tuna!

As you probably know, there are various types of felonies, and the Federal law makes no distinction between violent and non-violent. Given that the creation of a "felony" offense and prosecution is capricious at best, I don't put much weight on a "felony". Therefore I certainly would be against barring felons from bow hunting. I think folks get a little carried away with the punishment sometimes.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Central OR Bowhunt
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
As you probably know, there are various types of felonies, and the Federal law makes no distinction between violent and non-violent. Given that the creation of a "felony" offense and prosecution is capricious at best, I don't put much weight on a "felony". Therefore I certainly would be against barring felons from bow hunting. I think folks get a little carried away with the punishment sometimes.
agreed.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
TimberRhino
Cutthroat

I agree that not all "felons" are dangerous people. The thing that I have a problem with is convicted poachers being able to archery hunt. I believe that if you don't respect the animals, then you should never be allowed to hunt, period.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
BurnsScout
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central OR Bowhunt View Post
agreed.
me too
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
GameChaserFid
Ifish Nate

It depends on the level of the felony. I don't agree that because someone may have a felony on their record from say 20 years ago that they shouldn't be able to hunt. For some that have screwed up and cannot hunt with a firearm, the only way they can hunt is archery.

The law is pretty screwy with some of the stuff they say you can and can't do.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
steelheadjunkie
Chromer

a felon is not allowed to use a bow while on release supervision because it is a condition of PPS/Probation/Parole to not have possession of any weapon. After completion of parole yes they can because a bow is not a fire arm like previously stated
Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #9
mickeydim468
Steelhead

I think that all non-violent felons who are not repeat offenders, with a 5 year clean track record should be allowed to have the same rights as someone who never committed a crime. Who are we to never forgive a mistake?

To me it is unconstitutional and against the 2nd amendment to not allow the ownership of firearms by a non-violent criminal who has paid his/her dues to society in the form of jail time and or restitution. The 5 years is to make certain he/she won't repeat and has learned from his/her mistakes.

IMHO...

Mike!
John 3:16 and the 2nd Amendment is all we need to know!

[URL="http://shopherbalife.com/hotherb"]Mike's Herbalife/URL]
Old 03-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
bradly11
Sturgeon

Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never saw
Been in trouble with the law
Since the day they was born

Staightnin' the curves
Flatnin the hills
Someday the mountain might get 'em
But the law never will

Makin' their way
The only way they know how
That's just a little bit more
Than the law will allow.

Makin' their way
The only way they know how
That's just a little bit more
Than the law will allow.

I'm a good ol' boy
You know my momma loves me
But she don't undestand
They keep a showin my hands and not my face on TV

Sorry..couldnt help it
Old 03-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
steelheadjunkie
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeydim468 View Post
I think that all non-violent felons who are not repeat offenders, with a 5 year clean track record should be allowed to have the same rights as someone who never committed a crime. Who are we to never forgive a mistake?

To me it is unconstitutional and against the 2nd amendment to not allow the ownership of firearms by a non-violent criminal who has paid his/her dues to society in the form of jail time and or restitution. The 5 years is to make certain he/she won't repeat and has learned from his/her mistakes.

IMHO...

Mike!
yea also true do the 5 and get back at it did you know you can have gun rights taken away for certain class misd. offences as well you do not have to even be a felon
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
rsalata@msn.com
Steelhead

So why have laws? What if it was a child molester? After so many years should we let them be around children?????I think not..Sorry...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Speed Goat
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberRhino View Post
I agree that not all "felons" are dangerous people. The thing that I have a problem with is convicted poachers being able to archery hunt. I believe that if you don't respect the animals, then you should never be allowed to hunt, period.
Agreed.

I know not all felons are dangerous, but they obviously make poor decisions. Not sure I'm comfortable with those types in the woods. I'm also thinking if someone wants to elude the police or write bad checks, losing hunting rights might be a deterrent. If someone cleans up their act, they can always petition a judge to expunge their record. We don't need to make it easy.

Last edited by Speed Goat; 03-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
mickeydim468
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalata@msn.com View Post
So why have laws? What if it was a child molester? After so many years should we let them be around children?????I think not..Sorry...
Of course not. Last time I checked child molestation and **** would fall under the classification of "Violent crimes".

I agree it is a deterrent to not write bad checks and etc, but forever is too long. Why not take it one step further then... If you speed while driving a car at a rate 30 MPH higher than the posted speed limit... lose your right to own firearms.

Someone could be killed by the speeding vehicle. No one would be physically hurt by the writing of a bad check.

Mike!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
steelheadjunkie
Chromer

Quote:
Of course not. Last time I checked child molestation and **** would fall under the classification of "Violent crimes".

I agree it is a deterrent to not write bad checks and etc, but forever is too long. Why not take it one step further then... If you speed while driving a car at a rate 30 MPH higher than the posted speed limit... lose your right to own firearms.

Someone could be killed by the speeding vehicle. No one would be physically hurt by the writing of a bad check.

Mike!

they are real close to that already i bet its only a matter of time
NOTE: A new Oregon speeding ticket law stiffened penalties for drivers cited at speeds 100 mph and faster. A conviction carries a mandatory minimum 30 to 90 day suspension in addition to a $1,103.00 fine.

This same law also suspends a driverís license for up to 30 days for motorists convicted of driving more than 30 mph faster than the speed limit. You may receive the harsher fine and suspension due to being caught going over 100 mph. Excessive speed is a factor in about one-third of Oregon traffic deaths and is why the law was passed, to try and slow drivers down with the threat of severe speeding ticket penalties.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
rsalata@msn.com
Steelhead

Speeding is not a FELONY only if you kill some one Why do we have prisons? Let all felons go. Remember a felon is a felon. If you dont like it get it expunged...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
mickeydim468
Steelhead

I don't have a felony. I have no need to get expunged.

We have prisons so that people can pay their debt to society, however severe the punishment, up to and including death. They have their place, yet someone who wrote a bad check 10 years ago is hardly someone I would consider a threat, especially if he/she had done their time, and had not had any additional offenses since release.

Whatever happened to forgive and forget? Your kid steals a cookie(IE writes you a bad check) and you take away their bicycle for life(IE taking away their firearm for life)? Neither punishment fits the crime IMO.

Mike!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
7pointbull
Steelhead

Statistically a car is the most dangerous weapon in the US yet no one has any problems allowing someone to drive for the most part. Alcohol is the next most dangerous item and it is available just about anywhere. Give a suburban Mom the keys to the car and a few to many lemon drops and she is more likely y to kill you than a felon with a gun. Your safety at the hands of legislation is an illusion get over it.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

I agree, the punishment doesn't seem to fit the crime. Violent offenders, you bet no guns, happen to get pulled over within 1,000 feet of a school with firearm in the gun rack, naa.................I don't think that warrants a Federal felony and a life time ban from possessing a firearm for life. Must be some real straight shooters on here if they have never violated that law.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
rsalata@msn.com
Steelhead

So mean people suck. Is that what you are saying? As long as it does not hurt or bother you let it alone? I think not...
Old 03-28-2011, 02:05 PM   #21
mickeydim468
Steelhead

Quote:
So mean people suck. Is that what you are saying? As long as it does not hurt or bother you let it alone? I think not...
Where did you come up with that assumption from anything I have ever typed on Ifish?

That is no where near what I have stated on this thread, nor any other for that matter.

Wow!

Mike!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #22
rsalata@msn.com
Steelhead

I dont know pulled it out the back of my head. i am watching the results onthe gill net meeting.. Sorry that i assumed
Old 03-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
mickeydim468
Steelhead

No worries...

You made me go back and re-read everything I typed to make sure. LOL

Mike!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #24
Dave32g
Steelhead

out of all the guys i know well with felonies only one of them is a sand up good guy. the rest are felons for a reason.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
rsalata@msn.com
Steelhead

They are about to give final decission on the nets and about extending our season...
Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #26
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Because hunting with a bow is not consered a weapon. They cannot have a gun or rifle. I checked this with my neighbor who is a Dep. Sheriff..

I ain't no attorney, but I disagree. A bow is indeed a weapon. And depending on cicumstances of use, could be either a Dangerous or Deadly Weapon (see ORS 161.015).

Convicted felons are prohibited from possessing firearms (166.250 (C)). Firearms are defined in ORS 166.210 (3) as expelling a projective by the action of powder.

The way I read it, a bow/arrow is a weapon. But it is not a firearm. That's why convicted felons can bow hunt.

Perhaps you may have misunderstood your neighbor ..... or mistyped???

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(C) Has been convicted of a felony;

166.210 Definitions. As used in ORS 166.250 to 166.270, 166.291 to 166.295 and 166.410 to 166.470:
(3) “Firearm” means a weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of powder.

161.015 General definitions. As used in chapter 743, Oregon Laws 1971, and ORS 166.635, unless the context requires otherwise:
(1) “Dangerous weapon” means any weapon, device, instrument, material or substance which under the circumstances in which it is used, attempted to be used or threatened to be used, is readily capable of causing death or serious physical injury.
(2) “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, article or substance specifically designed for and presently capable of causing death or serious physical injury.

Link to ORS's http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/

Last edited by Teeb; 03-28-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: link added
Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #27
rsalata@msn.com
Steelhead

You are right
Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #28
Magnum
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave32g View Post
out of all the guys i know well with felonies only one of them is a sand up good guy. the rest are felons for a reason.
I don't know if it is a felony or not, but a close personal friend of mine can only hunt with a bow legally. His was caused by a neighbor who called the police because he & his wife were arguing quite loudly. Since the police showed up, one of them was getting charged with domestic violence & he was it. The confrentation between him & his wife was "non" violent. BUT, in Oregon, if you get a domestic violence charge, you can no longer legally possess a firearm. Domestic violence charges cannot be espunged in Oregon either. Something to keep in mind for those that have arguments with wives & girlfriends. It doesn't take much to lose your right to hunt whether you are a stand up person or not.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #29
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Quote:
You are right
No biggee. Did the salmon season meeting turn out good for you?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #30
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I don't know if it is a felony or not, but a close personal friend of mine can only hunt with a bow legally. His was caused by a neighbor who called the police because he & his wife were arguing quite loudly. Since the police showed up, one of them was getting charged with domestic violence & he was it. The confrentation between him & his wife was "non" violent. BUT, in Oregon, if you get a domestic violence charge, you can no longer legally possess a firearm. Domestic violence charges cannot be espunged in Oregon either. Something to keep in mind for those that have arguments with wives & girlfriends. It doesn't take much to lose your right to hunt whether you are a stand up person or not.
Part of the anti-gun movement is to take your firearms any way they can. Before long you will loose them for jay walking. I always thought that domestic violence thing was poor legislation. Yep, if the cops come to a domestic call, somebody is going away, it is best not to be at home when they show up!

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #31
shotgunner
Steelhead

When I was eight teen (seven years ago) I had a z28 went to fast around a corner crashed.. The cops came and charged me with wreckless driving which is a felony... I hired a lawyer and it was dropped. In today's world it donest take much to be charged with a felony

Last edited by shotgunner; 03-28-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #32
mickeydim468
Steelhead

Quote:
That is why I said what I said. Even if wrongly accused, you could get your rights back if you proved to not be a repeat offender and paid your supposed dept to society.

Just saying... What if that was you who was turned in by the neighbor for arguing loudly? I sure wouldn't want to lose my rights to hunt over a stupid argument. Something to think about though guys.

Mike!

Old 03-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #33
WSU
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Goat View Post
The law states felons cannot be in possession of a firearm, even if one wasn't used in the crime. So it's a punishment, not wanting felons to own weapons. I agree with the law, but it begs the question, why do we allow felons to own bows and bow hunt. Do felons really deserve to hunt? If they can't be trusted with a gun, should they be trusted with a bow?
I wonder if any of our fellow Ifisher bow hunting felons will chime?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #34
rsalata@msn.com
Steelhead

I was not going to say anything but I had my conseal permit taken away for breaking a court restraing order. After my eighteen month probation I was alowwed to get it back.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #35
JerryM
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Absolutely not a true statement. Your friend lied to you.

Reckless driving is not a felony.

Most felons can have guns again fifteen years after their last day of punishment or earlier upon expungement. Only the real bad or multiple felons cant. Also, some felony level crimes can be expunged or reduced after five years.

The law is to keep felons from having guns, not to keep them from hunting. Turns out, people who are felons are far more likely to use that gun for bad than folks who are not felons.

This is not a second amendment issue. You are given a set of rights by the constitution and bill of rights. These rights may then be taken only by court or jury upon you doing something you should not have. This is how our constitution has worked since the day it was signed.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #36
shotgunner
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post

Reckless driving is not a felony.

well thats what they told me when they took me to jail lol maybe your thinking of "careless" driving idk. But I do know they marked felony on the ticket...

Maybe it had to do with the amount of damage to the guys building.. Its not so cut and dry..

Last edited by shotgunner; 03-28-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
7pointbull
Steelhead

"Turns out, people who are felons are far more likely to use that gun for bad than folks who are not felons. '

I beleive that most guns violence is comitted by people with no criminal background. Typically Billy Joe shoots or threatens to shoot Bobby Sue because he caught her messing around.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #38
JerryM
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post
well thats what they told me when they took me to jail lol maybe your thinking of "careless" driving idk. But I do know they marked felony on the ticket...

Maybe it had to do with the amount of damage to the guys building.. Its not so cut and dry..
You probably picked up a criminal mischief charge or something similar. Also, if you hada passenger injured, it could be charged as a felony level assault. Reckless driving is an A misd.

7 pointbull. I bet if you looked a ratios between felons doing gun and/or violent crimes and non felons doing gun and/or violent crimes, you would find the ratio for felons much higher as a sub-population. Not all felons will do another crime though. Some will never so much as get a speeding ticket. However, past behavior is a very good predictor of future behavior.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #39
Magnum
Chromer

Quote:
Absolutely not a true statement. Your friend lied to you.
Please clarify which statement as it was & is true.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #40
7pointbull
Steelhead

JM,
I don't have the book more guns less crime in front of me but I beleive I am correct above. Lets say i am not the bottom line is that banning guns from felons is not a deterrent it is a feel good measure. I doubt anyone could find a felon that wanted a gun but did not have one outside of prison.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #41
JerryM
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Please clarify which statement as it was & is true.
PMd you.

7 Pointbull. True felons can get guns. Here is an example of why this law matters. I pull a guy over. He has a set of out of state plates under his seat not reported stolen, a ski mask, a loaded pistol. Nothing I can do as no crime known to me has been comitted. But he was a felon so off to jail he went. He plead guilty and went to prison for fifteen months before my report was done. So whatever he did, he didn't want things hanging over him.

I have arrested numerous felons for unlawful possession of a firearm. Only two were hunting. The rest were busy being criminals doing crimes. Of the two hunting, only one had license and tag so I guess he was busy being a criminal too.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #42
steelheadjunkie
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunner View Post

You are absolutely correct how would I know??I had very same thing happen to me. No lie my friends had some driving charges reckless endangerment and careless driving they did right felony on my ticket I did go to court felony got thrown out BUT.... class A misdor. for my offences and guess what two years later I go to by a new shotgun unknowing of what was about to happen I fill out the paperwork store was closing so guy calls me back and says you need to call OSP they denied you. I called OSP the lady explained to me that I could not purchase a firearm for whatever was left three years at the time.. I said but I have never been convicted of a felony she explained to me that you can have gun rights revoked even for misd. charges because some of them put you in the same classification as breaking and entering and so forth so sorry to write a book here but shotgunner was indeed correct it did happen to me now older and wiser I can buy guns whenever i please but I choose to archery hunt
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #43
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

At the risk of getting all political...

My stance is simple:

If you are convicted of a crime and you receive a lawful sentance for it - and you fulfill the terms of that sentance - then your rights ought to be restored to you the day that sentence is over.

This nonsense of a crime continuing to haunt someone after they've allegedly repaid their debt to society is bogus. If someone is still a danger to society - why were they released from prison? We ought not be letting dangerous people run around the population, if they're truely dangerous.

If someone gets jail time, or probation, and a fine - as soon as that is paid off - ALL of their rights should be restored, until such a time they do something stupid again (if they do) and wind up back in trouble with the law. This idea that a felony conviction causes you to "loose" some of your rights is fairly new - it was the Gun Control Act of '68 that put in the privision that felons can't have firearms. Before then - a convicted felon could legally own a gun again after his debt was repaid.

Every gun control law since then has sought to squeeze more and more people into the list of those who can't have them.

And there's groups out there pushing to expand the definition of "mental illness", and pushing to get anyone deemed to have mental illness (which could be anything from a case of PTSD for a returning Veteran, to someone completely off their gourde like those recently in the news for getting drilled by PPB).

Making it illegal for felons to own a gun doesn't make you any safer. True criminals don't give a rats patoot about the law (that's why they're felons, right?) - they will obtain whatever they want, and do whatever they want - regardless of what a piece of paper says. It's just one more thing they can get charged with upon arrest, and theoretically should keep them locked away longer.

If someone is a violent criminal, keep them locked away forever. If they're a repeat offender - keep them locked away longer each time. But if they're non violent, they're not a danger to society - there's no reason that their past should haunt them longer than the sentance the judge hands down. If he says 10 years - that's 10 years you can't do certain things, like own a gun, vote, etc. Once that debt is paid - you should be just like any other citizen in the eyes of the law. How private folks deal with you should be up to them (thinking employers here, mostly. No reason a private employer can't discriminate due to criminal conviction).

For the guy who made the comment about child diddlers - lock them away forever. But also keep in mind - it's really damn easy to be accused of something that heinous without it being true. It only takes a ****** off wife, girlfriend, or even a stranger to make an anonymous phone call. Next thing you know, there's going to be a detective, along with DHS social workers showing up on your door step.

Oh, and convicted felons are allowed to have more than just bows - they can legally own black powder firearms and reproductions of guns made before, IIRC 1899. Those guns aren't considered "Firearms" by the BATFE. Last I checked, cap & ball guns and black powder guns will kill you, and game animals, just as dead as a modern high tech auto loader.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #44
steelheadjunkie
Chromer

so Jerry your sayin i got hosed big time??? This is all new to me now years after the fact
Old 03-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #45
7pointbull
Steelhead

Mkwrx said all that has to be said on this topic.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #46
nate1982
Chromer

Yes, convicted Felons can Bow hunt in Oregon, provided the felon has completed their Post Prison Supervision, Probation or Parole and been completely discharged from the court/corrections/supervision system... The only reason they can't bow hunt while on supervision is because it is a condition of PPS/Probation/Parole that they cannot possess ANY weapons... A Bow is not a Firearm, and is not treated as one in Oregon; although in 2008 they did place restrictions on Felons owning Antique firearms (there still remains some clarity issues about muzzle loaders amongst law enforcement however)... See ORS 166.170-735 http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

Furthermore there are no laws preventing Felons from obtaining hunting/fishing licenses/tags (General Bow Hunts include Buck/Deer/Elk/Pronghorn/Grey Squirl and Special Bow hunts are available for Bear/Cougar/Bighorn/Mtn Goat)... 2009 Oregon Big Game Regs (pdf) http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources...ameregsweb.pdf

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_conv...#ixzz1HwFbFrgf

this was copy pasted from answers.com and the question was answered by ID0404037024.

i think that non violent offenders who have fully paid there debt to society should in return gain all there rights back.

Last edited by nate1982; 03-28-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #47
JerryM
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadjunkie View Post
so Jerry your sayin i got hosed big time??? This is all new to me now years after the fact
Yes and you can contest both a denial and your criminal history if you are ever denied a firearm. The relief from firearms possession prohibition are laid out in statute. The form to petition relief is even there.

I would encourage all folks to look up the Oregon Revised Statutes online and read them. They are searchable and easy once you get the hang of it. Also, you can get your criminal history (convictions) as well as anyone else's from the Oregon State Police. There is a nominal fee and they get notified but it is a public record. So you can check those unbelievable stories of how the govt wronged so and so by not letting them buy a gun.

Guns are taxed heavily, the govt wants you to buy them.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #48
Speed Goat
Steelhead

This is not about felons owning guns. It's about whether or not felons should be allowed to own archery equipment and be allowed to hunt. I thinkif people enjoy hunting, and want to continue to hunt, they should keep their nose clean. Most already do it, it is not hard to be a law abiding citizen. I'm asking about this because I'm thinking of taking hhis issue to my congressmen to see if it can get some traction. Specifically prohibiting convicted felons from owning bows and acquiring hunting licenses/tags.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #49
Headhunter
Sturgeon

As a hunter and someone who has been an innocent victim of a shooting, I am in favor of felons not having the same rights as those who are law abiding citizens regardless if its guns, knives or bows.

Last edited by Headhunter; 03-28-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #50
whtelk
Tuna!

Don't do the crime in the first place....sorry, I do not feel sorry for any felon. Maybe think about it before you even contemplate it... felonies will follow you in more ways than one. I for one say that a felon shouldn't be allowed to even carry a bow. BOO HOOO!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #51
steelheadjunkie
Chromer

awesome I love the law because the lady on the phone at OSP told me all I could do was wait It out contacted my PO I was a minor at the time of the crime I dont know if that had anything to do with it but he told me I couldn't contest any of it because it was part of my plea to get the felony dropped but you say I couldn't have got a felony for reckless driving oh well I'm over it now isn't it great what people can accomplish with pen and paper just for the record I didn't even crash a car or injure a single soul but I was deemed a violent person
Old 03-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #52
steelheadjunkie
Chromer

Quote:
Yes and you can contest both a denial and your criminal history if you are ever denied a firearm. The relief from firearms possession prohibition are laid out in statute. The form to petition relief is even there.

I would encourage all folks to look up the Oregon Revised Statutes online and read them. They are searchable and easy once you get the hang of it. Also, you can get your criminal history (convictions) as well as anyone else's from the Oregon State Police. There is a nominal fee and they get notified but it is a public record. So you can check those unbelievable stories of how the govt wronged so and so by not letting them buy a gun.

Guns are taxed heavily, the govt wants you to buy them.
typical remark btw But I understand from your view 90% of your daily stories are bs why would mine be any different
Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #53
Puffin
Ifish Nate

[QUOTE=Speed Goat;3599592]Agreed.

I know not all felons are dangerous, but they obviously make poor decisions. Not sure I'm comfortable with those types in the woods.

Where do you live? Glasshouseville? Glad youre not my dad.
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #54
Not Sponsored
Tuna!

Quote:
I don't have a felony. I have no need to get expunged.

We have prisons so that people can pay their debt to society, however severe the punishment, up to and including death. They have their place, yet someone who wrote a bad check 10 years ago is hardly someone I would consider a threat, especially if he/she had done their time, and had not had any additional offenses since release.

Whatever happened to forgive and forget? Your kid steals a cookie(IE writes you a bad check) and you take away their bicycle for life(IE taking away their firearm for life)? Neither punishment fits the crime IMO.

Mike!
Its' not a felony to write a bad check.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #55
Speed Goat
Steelhead

[QUOTE=Puffin;3600084]
Quote:
Agreed.

I know not all felons are dangerous, but they obviously make poor decisions. Not sure I'm comfortable with those types in the woods.

Where do you live? Glasshouseville? Glad youre not my dad.
I'm not a felon, I'm 100% legit. I'm not saying the guy who gets a ticket for having a headlight out shouldnt hunt or own a bow, Were talking about felons. It's a pretty big screw up to become a convicted felon, it takes a serious lapse of judgement. I think we'd all like to see those in the woods, with the ability to kill, using good judgement. This however is not the main point of my argument.

Assuming they are out of prison and off parole
A convicted elk poacher can bow hunt
A convicted rapist can bow hunt
A gangster convicted of a driveby can bow hunt
A convicted wife beater, child abuser, bank robber, ..........
Do you really think these people should be allowed to own a bow and hunt?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #56
bucknutty
Coho

Quote:
Well if that were true i guess no one should drive either cause most of us have got a speeding ticket, to many variables. and no i wouldn't let a molester by my kid no matter if it was 10 years ago. But this is thank God.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #57
BurnsScout
Steelhead

It is only march and I think this one gets my vote as the dumbest thread of the year.

I sure hope some of the people on this site never find themselves being judge like they feel they have the right to judge others by.

To me there are a lot of things that speak to a persons character more than most things. The biggest being someone who cheats on their spouse, not many people bigger dirtbags than that in my opinion.

Lastly, how does a person with a felony conviction really affect your hunting experience? Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually talk about hunting on this board?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #58
oneshot
Steelhead

Yes, convicted Felons can Bow hunt in Oregon, provided the felon has completed their Post Prison Supervision, Probation or Parole and been completely discharged from the court/corrections/supervision system... The only reason they can't bow hunt while on supervision is because it is a condition of PPS/Probation/Parole that they cannot possess ANY weapons... A Bow is not a Firearm, and is not treated as one in Oregon; although in 2008 they did place restrictions on Felons owning Antique firearms (there still remains some clarity issues about muzzle loaders amongst law enforcement however)... See ORS 166.170-735
Old 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #59
Teeb
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Assuming they are out of prison and off parole
A convicted elk poacher can bow hunt
Please understand, I understand the point of your comments. But the overwhelming majority of wildlife offenses are Class A Misdemeanors. The elk poacher's case could be a Class C Felony only if it was his second conviction within a 10 year period. If not, he can possess and hunt with firearms as well as archery gear.

See ORS 496.992 here http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/496.html

Last edited by Teeb; 03-28-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #60
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate

INMO- Felons that have had their gun rights revoked do not deserve to have the ability to own ANY weapon for as long as there sentence is in effect. If convicted a second time then I'm all for a lifetime ban from the ownership of any weapon. My thought is sometimes good people make mistakes or bad decisions. People need the oppourtunity to learn from thier errors in judgement. If they are incapable or unwilling to apply the knowledge they were given during their punishment then they aren't good people making bad decisions they are simply habitual offenders and don't deserve the to be allowed a 3rd strike oppourtunity.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Closed Thread