Wire vs. braided downrigger line - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey


Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
samntrllr
Chromer
 
samntrllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tigard
Posts: 617
Default Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I have had a hum on my manual DR for years. I read that switching from the standard wire to a braided line will end that. What is the min. lb. test you would want to use and the pro's and cons on switching from wire cable. I usually run an eight pound ball on that one. I do not have that issue on my electric.

__________________

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much;
Walter Lippmann
samntrllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
big foot
Steelhead
 
big foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: medford or
Posts: 366
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Have been using braid for several years now , would not go back to wire .My use is almost all for salmon . could only get 1 or 2 years out of wire but the braid on 1 is 4 years and the other 3 years and we use 12# to 16# balls . For a manual and 8 # I would use the 150# braid . nothing bad to say about the braid
big foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Doc_Rhen
Tuna!
 
Doc_Rhen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Culver, OR
Posts: 1,793
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I kinda like the hum. Sings a nice tune. The only major disadvantage I am aware of is that you cannot use a black box with braid.
__________________
Do or Do Not there is no try. -Yoda
Doc_Rhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Cannon
Tuna!
 
Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Salem
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

My next cable will be braid. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages from what my research tells me.
__________________
~Kent Cannon~
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
samntrllr
Chromer
 
samntrllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tigard
Posts: 617
Thumbs up Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I happened to think of something, will there be a difference in the counter, the braid is thinner, but then the counter can't be all that accurate anyway. I usually can see the ping on the finder. I hate to trash a 150 feet of cable when I change it. One more thing to keep around just in case. I don't use a black box. Any one done the switch and have a comment?
__________________

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much;
Walter Lippmann
samntrllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Hawg-line-
Chromer
 
Hawg-line-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La Center WA
Posts: 883
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

what about stacker clips? any problem with them staying on the braid?
Hawg-line- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #7
fishslayer13
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: north Idaho
Posts: 34
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I run 4 downriggers on my boat and changed 2 to braided.
Stackers dont stay put well, but I dont fish that way anyway.
Main thing is less drag and blow back on the ball.
But I could never get the counter anywhere right-- so I have to use my fishfinder to get an accurate depth on the ball.
I still like it---- just different. It does do away with the hum.
I catch as many fish on braided as with cable so I havent seen any diff in
that respect.
fishslayer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
Kokanoob
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 276
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

only concern I have with switching over, which I am going to do is being able to stack rods on the D/R. I will say that I believe the scotty releases will work just fine on the braid. If your boat is sending too much electricity down the downrigger cable, you will catch less fish. If you are using braided line, you won't have that issue. No need for a black box.
Kokanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
Hawg-line-
Chromer
 
Hawg-line-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La Center WA
Posts: 883
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I caught so many last year with cable I'm almost afraid to switch over, but I also got a kink in the cable which snapped and cost me alot in lost gear (ball, cowbell, release, & about 60ft in cable)swhich is my main reason for wanting to switch (no more kinks to work about) maybe I'l switch 1 to braid and do a side by side for the year I don't know? Its that $$$$ of braid slowing me down.
Hawg-line- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #10
SilverBullets
Tuna!
 
SilverBullets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 1,158
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

With wire cable and a black box you have the ability to attract fish...
SilverBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Tyeedog
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 22
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

i am going to go braid this year fo sure...
Tyeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
tradbow70
Coho
 
tradbow70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: washington
Posts: 62
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

What size/type/brand of braid is suitable? (my apologies for the hijack)
tradbow70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Waterfish
Ifish Nate
 
Waterfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marmot, Oregon (east of Sandy)
Posts: 2,327
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Not being able to use stacker clips with braid would be a deal killer right there for me. Add in the factor of braid making the line counter inaccurate, and the fact that you can't adjust the voltage with braid to attact fish; I see no reason to change. I've never had any trouble using wire, and for some reason, my downrigger wire rarely humns either.
__________________
All fish, are waterfish...
Waterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Hawg-line-
Chromer
 
Hawg-line-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: La Center WA
Posts: 883
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfish View Post
Not being able to use stacker clips with braid would be a deal killer right there for me. Add in the factor of braid making the line counter inaccurate, I see no reason to change. I've never had any trouble using wire, and for some reason, my downrigger wire rarely humns either.

this is where my thoughts tend to stray me away from braid also.
Hawg-line- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
The Lucky Duck
Tuna!
 
The Lucky Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Eugene
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I have 200 pound power pro. The line definately tracks better, cuts debris better, no worrys about stray voltage and seems to last longer. Cons are, difficult to stack, the stops are hard to keep fastened, and it is very difficult to handline the ball in if there is an issue. (will cut your hands). All in all a little better.
The Lucky Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #16
samntrllr
Chromer
 
samntrllr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tigard
Posts: 617
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I do appreciate the input. I ordered some online (135LB) and it was less that $20. It is the hum I want to eliminate as I have had it on for 12 years. Not in the salt with this one and rarely go deeper than 50'. Use the electric for deeper or in the salt. Only had one kink up close to the connector and just cut and reconnected. In reading this thread, I think I will just splice the 150' braid on to the wire with a big swivel and a crimp and spool over the top. If I don't like it I will just take it off and put my clip back on the end of the wire. Maybe that will not mess up my counter too much. Maybe the hum is not repelling the fish, just annoying. Thanks for the information, appears to be a near toss-up.
__________________

When all think alike, no one is thinking very much;
Walter Lippmann
samntrllr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate
 
fish-on-bend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: bend, or
Posts: 2,663
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I've posted on this topic before. I ran one braid and one wire for a season. I found MORE blowback on the Scotty braid than wire, and had some fraying issues on the braid. It did not appear to wear very well. My new Canon electric requires wire for the auto-stop to work. The humm tells me when I hit something or hang a ball or if I'm trolling the right speed. Your results may vary.
__________________
Its bad luck to be superstitious.
fish-on-bend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #18
O Tshawytcha
Ifish Nate
 
O Tshawytcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Camas WA
Posts: 3,007
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I've been using braid for two years and it has been great. Here is a couple of tips that I have learned:

-buy power pro or tuff line in 130-150#. higher quality and less expensive and comes in longer lengths (mostly for halibut and ocean chinook).

-use the Scotty stopper beads designed for braid (the red ones) and use a dab of super glue to permanetly fix them in place.

-if you are using the Scotty stacker releases put some surgical tubing on the longliner clip to keep them from sliding so easy

- I also highly recommend using then blue rubber snubbers between the cable and ball. Helps take the shock out of rough water.

We use 15# pancakes and stack 2 lines using the clips with the 48" leaders.

I haven't noticed a big difference in the counter accuracy, but the FF return is much much more accurate because of the reduced blowback. Previously I could be >15' shallower than either the FF or the line counter indicated. This was due to the angle of the cable. If I let out 150' of cable and the cable was pushed back by the drag of the water the FF still said 150' because that is how far it was from the X-ducer though at the edge of the sonar's cone and much shallower in depth.

Clear as mud...?
__________________
Galley Slave and Baitboy for HMS Magpie!
O Tshawytcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #19
Cannon
Tuna!
 
Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Salem
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Tshawytcha View Post
I've been using braid for two years and it has been great. Here is a couple of tips that I have learned:

-buy power pro or tuff line in 130-150#. higher quality and less expensive and comes in longer lengths (mostly for halibut and ocean chinook).

-use the Scotty stopper beads designed for braid (the red ones) and use a dab of super glue to permanetly fix them in place.

-if you are using the Scotty stacker releases put some surgical tubing on the longliner clip to keep them from sliding so easy

- I also highly recommend using then blue rubber snubbers between the cable and ball. Helps take the shock out of rough water.

We use 15# pancakes and stack 2 lines using the clips with the 48" leaders.

I haven't noticed a big difference in the counter accuracy, but the FF return is much much more accurate because of the reduced blowback. Previously I could be >15' shallower than either the FF or the line counter indicated. This was due to the angle of the cable. If I let out 150' of cable and the cable was pushed back by the drag of the water the FF still said 150' because that is how far it was from the X-ducer though at the edge of the sonar's cone and much shallower in depth.

Clear as mud...?
Excellent advice!
__________________
~Kent Cannon~
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
tedg
Coho
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 64
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I went from wire to braid as I have been fishing with 250' of line out. Haven't noticed any problems with change in line counter. In reality they are for reference only as I just want to get back to the same depth. Like what was said earlier, the f/f just shows haw far the ball is from transducer. It does,'t actually detect how deep it is. After both steel cables broke after only ten days of fishing, I switched to braid. I am hoping for several years on the braid. I use realeases that I make up, about 6ft in length. I put line realease on both ends. About 4" from one end I use a crimp to for a small loop. i then attach a snap into that loop and hook it over the braid. The snap holds a;; the pressure and the clip just keeps it fro sliding.
Ted
tedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #21
valleygems
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Willamette Valley
Posts: 416
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Braid is the way to go. Wouldn't consider going back to wire ever!
valleygems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #22
builder
Tuna!
 
builder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portland
Posts: 1,277
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

I typically use 120 lb spectra when fishing for oversize. It's amazing how easily that stuff breaks if you come anywhere close to a rock. The smallest nick or fray in the line makes it substantially weaker. For that reason alone I have no intention of switching over to braid for my downriggers. After reading about the issues above with counter accuracy and stackers slipping it just further affirms that I've made the right choice in sticking with steel.
builder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
lilwhaler
Coho
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 94
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Lead ball, blue/green rubber shock absorber, slide a ball bearing swivel on to an accurately measured length of tuna cord or other heavy nylon before tying it into loop with a lovers' knot. The swivel becomes the autostopper for electric Scotty, tie your favourite knot from swivel to braided DR line of 150-200lb.

Clip lower rod to the cord. No slippage.

For stacking, choke on a small crane swivel in a loop of the braided DR line (will look like a lark's head knot) to prevent clip slippage. Choke on one more swivel above that for an autostop for the stacked rod.

No glue, no plastic thingies, easy to adjust.

Works on Scotty Electrics and manuals. I'm not familiar with other brands' electric autostop mechanisms.
lilwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #24
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradbow70 View Post
What size/type/brand of braid is suitable? (my apologies for the hijack)

I have had 130lb Daccron under 200yds 200lb JB hollow on my DR's for 3 years and I would not go back to SS cable.

Scotty makes stops for braid that will keep your stacking clips from sliding.
__________________
Where in the AUP does it say you can't point out when someone is confused?
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #25
O Tshawytcha
Ifish Nate
 
O Tshawytcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Camas WA
Posts: 3,007
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhaler View Post
Lead ball, blue/green rubber shock absorber, slide a ball bearing swivel on to an accurately measured length of tuna cord or other heavy nylon before tying it into loop with a lovers' knot. The swivel becomes the autostopper for electric Scotty, tie your favourite knot from swivel to braided DR line of 150-200lb.

Clip lower rod to the cord. No slippage.

For stacking, choke on a small crane swivel in a loop of the braided DR line (will look like a lark's head knot) to prevent clip slippage. Choke on one more swivel above that for an autostop for the stacked rod.

No glue, no plastic thingies, easy to adjust.

Works on Scotty Electrics and manuals. I'm not familiar with other brands' electric autostop mechanisms.
Sounds good! Could you please post some pics of your setup? Thanks!
__________________
Galley Slave and Baitboy for HMS Magpie!
O Tshawytcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #26
lilwhaler
Coho
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 94
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

ball and snubber
Knot for Loop of Nylon Twine that goes above snubber. The loop could be 2.5-7 feet long depending on how long your DR boom is and how high your gunnels are and whether you like your balls to stay in the water or swing around smashing into things. Attach your bottom clip to the twine, not the braid.
Next is a heavy enough ball-bearing swivel that attaches to the loop and the braided DR line that doubles as the autostop (no photo)

attaching swivel to braid for no-slip stacking and stacker autostop for electric Scotty. They seem to spool onto the downrigger and go back out without any issues so far.
All photos are "borrowed". I hope that is okay.

Last edited by lilwhaler; 03-10-2011 at 09:24 PM.
lilwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
Hookachinook
Steelhead
 
Hookachinook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lake Oswego
Posts: 340
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Here's my "story" and experience on this subject. Perhaps just a coincidence but here goes. I run a wire downrigger on my starboard side and a downIrigger with 150# braid on the portside. (I switched to the braid to get rid of the hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, which it did) however I SWEAR that the downrigger on the portside did not get nearly the number of hits (koke) that the wired downrigger did, trip after trip, very predictable after a while, even while using the same depth of the balls and terminal tackle on each setup. I troll randomly, in "S" curves, etc. so as to get the same type of speed changes on each side. Due to differences in mounting bases I can't switch right to left and visa versa to play that out. I don't fish with a black box but I wonder about the difference in any electrical charge in play or even if it is in play????????? I know this: my favorite fishing buddy and I have to flip a coin, arm wrestle or have a pistol dual to see who gets that starboard 'rigger! Anybody got any ideas? Pray tell.
__________________
God created a fish. He called it a Kokanee and now I have another addiction.
Hookachinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 AM   #28
dlm
Chromer
 
dlm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Silverton
Posts: 872
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookachinook View Post
however I SWEAR that the downrigger on the portside did not get nearly the number of hits (koke) that the wired downrigger did, trip after trip, very predictable after a while, even while using the same depth of the balls and terminal tackle on each setup. I wonder about the difference in any electrical charge in play or even if it is in play????????? I know this: my favorite fishing buddy and I have to flip a coin, arm wrestle or have a pistol dual to see who gets that starboard 'rigger! Anybody got any ideas? Pray tell.
You metal cable may be picking up good charges from your boat, however, I think that would only effect your "bite ratio" if you were using a short setback so that your lure is still within the effect of the electrical charge.

Is that side still more active when you use a longer setback, maybe 20 feet or longer?
__________________
David
If everything is coming your way,,,your in the wrong lane!
dlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #29
Doc_Rhen
Tuna!
 
Doc_Rhen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Culver, OR
Posts: 1,793
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookachinook View Post
Here's my "story" and experience on this subject. Perhaps just a coincidence but here goes. I run a wire downrigger on my starboard side and a downIrigger with 150# braid on the portside. (I switched to the braid to get rid of the hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, which it did) however I SWEAR that the downrigger on the portside did not get nearly the number of hits (koke) that the wired downrigger did, trip after trip, very predictable after a while, even while using the same depth of the balls and terminal tackle on each setup. I troll randomly, in "S" curves, etc. so as to get the same type of speed changes on each side. Due to differences in mounting bases I can't switch right to left and visa versa to play that out. I don't fish with a black box but I wonder about the difference in any electrical charge in play or even if it is in play????????? I know this: my favorite fishing buddy and I have to flip a coin, arm wrestle or have a pistol dual to see who gets that starboard 'rigger! Anybody got any ideas? Pray tell.
Must be the "hummmmm" calling them in. Certainly it would be most interesting if you could switch riggers and see if the trend continues, kind of a bummer that you cannot. Most commercial salmon trollers that I know have a hot side of the boat. Something about how they troll will make one side more productive than the other so it doesn't have to be wire v braid but your story is certainly pretty suggestive.
__________________
Do or Do Not there is no try. -Yoda

Last edited by Doc_Rhen; 03-11-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Doc_Rhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #30
The Lucky Duck
Tuna!
 
The Lucky Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Eugene
Posts: 1,316
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

The old timers say the hum attracts fish. Also some boats naturally have the desired voltage on their steel cables, .6 to.7 volts. My old boat had the desired voltage without a black box. My new boat had a voltage that seemed to repel fish. Braided line fixed the problem. (I didn't want the hassle of the black box). You can measure your voltage with a sensitive volt meter, DC, set on a setting to measure under 1 volt. Just attach the black to your ground and the red to the downrigger wire. (with gear and downrigger in action at trolling speeds).
The Lucky Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #31
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

With the exception of a few "hot" mineral rich lakes in E. Oregon fresh water does not conduct electricity well, pure water is non conductive. You might get a small field in the immediate area of your boat but the field does not cover as large of area as it will in saltwater.
__________________
Where in the AUP does it say you can't point out when someone is confused?
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #32
O Tshawytcha
Ifish Nate
 
O Tshawytcha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Camas WA
Posts: 3,007
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Thanks lil whaler!
__________________
Galley Slave and Baitboy for HMS Magpie!
O Tshawytcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #33
Cannon
Tuna!
 
Cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Salem
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
With the exception of a few "hot" mineral rich lakes in E. Oregon fresh water does not conduct electricity well, pure water is non conductive. You might get a small field in the immediate area of your boat but the field does not cover as large of area as it will in saltwater.
You may be partially right but negative charge does make a difference especially in salt water. But in saying that, if you have a voltage leak, you will catch far less fish.
1. All batteries should be grounded together.
2. If you are not killing the fish in a hot bite, (especially when everyone around you is) it is time to break out the voltage meter and figure out what is leaking voltage.
3. Go through anything that is drawing voltage and disconnect it one by one until you find the leak.
4. put a break between your DR cable and your ball. What you have is essentially a battery. Lead, copper, and Stainless steel creating electrolysis. Isolate the components from your downrigger cable with a loop of sturgeon leader or other non conductive material.

No matter how much you poo poo the black box theory, it is a scientific fact. It is not a secret, and it is an important part of the big fish catching puzzle. Ignore it if you wish, but I know for a fact that it is a BIG DEAL even in fresh water and I will continue to monitor the charges leaving my boat.
__________________
~Kent Cannon~
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM   #34
Keta
King Salmon
 
Keta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Klamath Falls...for now
Posts: 10,931
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
You may be partially right but negative charge does make a difference especially in salt water. But in saying that, if you have a voltage leak, you will catch far less fish.
1. All batteries should be grounded together.
2. If you are not killing the fish in a hot bite, (especially when everyone around you is) it is time to break out the voltage meter and figure out what is leaking voltage.
3. Go through anything that is drawing voltage and disconnect it one by one until you find the leak.
4. put a break between your DR cable and your ball. What you have is essentially a battery. Lead, copper, and Stainless steel creating electrolysis. Isolate the components from your downrigger cable with a loop of sturgeon leader or other non conductive material.

No matter how much you poo poo the black box theory, it is a scientific fact. It is not a secret, and it is an important part of the big fish catching puzzle. Ignore it if you wish, but I know for a fact that it is a BIG DEAL even in fresh water and I will continue to monitor the charges leaving my boat.
Electrical issues on boats are a problem, even in relatively non conductive freshwater. Your list of "problems" and fixes is good and hot boats are a PIA in the harbor.

You misunderstand what I posted, electrical fields are imporntant but not as much in freshwater.

A commercial troller friend of mine in SE Alaska got a grant to do a unbias study of electrical fields and black boxes and the results were that it drastically increased salmon catches if your boat had the proper charge. This was in highly conductive saltwater, wood hull, bronze through hulls and prop, monel prop shaft and SS trolling cables. You will not see much electron flow from connected dissimilar metals in most of our freshwater systems, some lakes in SE oregon are highly conductive though.
__________________
Where in the AUP does it say you can't point out when someone is confused?
Keta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #35
mstarck
Chromer
 
mstarck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: salem,or.
Posts: 671
Default Re: Wire vs. braided downrigger line

Lot of good info ,pros and cons. I switched to the Power Pro 250# braid.
Since Scotty came out with the RED beads for braid no more problems with stackers slipping. I use the Scotty stacker clips also.Remember to cut off 10' or so when line starts to look worn.For the guys that like wire , more power to ya! Just catch fish.

mike
__________________
22 ' TJ Rio Clasic,383,212hami,T8 kicker,TR-1 gold
mstarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Terms of Service
Page generated in 0.67517 seconds with 55 queries