Vision Problems with Bow Sights - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 02-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Rockwarrior
Cutthroat

Default Vision Problems with Bow Sights

I picked up my bow recently to fling a few arrows at the target the other day, and noticed some problems while shooting. I know I am getting older and my vision changes with age, but had difficulty focusing on my pins at the target. I where contacts, and can see things far away, so I guess that is called near-sighted. But now, I am losing my vision to see things up close as well. I don't want to wear a pair of glasses, hard to see through peep, and fog up too, but what do you older guys do for this impairment?

Rockwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Tito

Default Re: Vision Problems with Bow Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwarrior View Post
I picked up my bow recently to fling a few arrows at the target the other day, and noticed some problems while shooting. I know I am getting older and my vision changes with age, but had difficulty focusing on my pins at the target. I where contacts, and can see things far away, so I guess that is called near-sighted. But now, I am losing my vision to see things up close as well. I don't want to wear a pair of glasses, hard to see through peep, and fog up too, but what do you older guys do for this impairment?
Dont know if this will help but are you shooting with both eyes open? If not try that. Less strain on one eye plus you will shoot better. I wouldnt fight shooting with glasses if its needed. I know alot of people who shoot with glasses and have good success. Shouldnt have issues with fogging if your wearing a hat and put some de fogger on the the lenses for those wet days. If the peep is the issues put a kisser on get rid of the peep, have good form with proper anchor points and u will shoot fine.

Last edited by Tito; 02-16-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Tito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
DB Crouper
Tuna!

Go see an optometrist. Way too many of us have stayed at a Holiday Inn.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
millsymojo
Tuna!

Rock Warrior

You are likely experiencing the effects of presbyopia. The age decade of one's forties brings the onset of this irritating loss of focus ability - which has the greatest impact on close vision. It continues to change thru your fifties and then plateaus. Do not be dismayed, this happens to all humans and is not yours alone. Both farsighted (hyperopia) and nearsighted (myopia) folks may wear correction for distance. This is their underlying refractive error which is present in life before the changes associated with near focus loss (presbyopia) appear.

Hopefully you will get some good responses from the members here as to how each of them addresses these changes to meet their particular outdoor needs. In fact, Tito already shared some good info. Especially the part about shooting with two eyes open. There are a variety of ways to customize for someone's visual needs. It does not neccessarily mean that you are forced to abandon contact lens use either. Listen to what others have to say here, and then make sure you have this conversation with your eyecare professional. Be specific when you communicate your needs to your doctor, and then be willing to make compromises if neccessary to meet those needs. Sportmen the world over have dealt with this issue since the beginning of time . . . . there are possibilities. Hope this helps.
millsymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

I bought a peepsight with the biggest opening ,your eye will automaticly center to it . It works for me
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Have you ever considered shooting without sights. You might surprise yourself with some good coaching and a little practice.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
elkmagnet
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Crouper View Post

Make sure you find an optometrist that really understands archery(PM me if you need any recommendations). If its been awhile since your last exam you may just need an updated on your contact lens Rx. You will have many other options: slight undercorrection for nearsightedness, slight overcorrection for farsightedness, multifocal contact(s), monovision(one eye set for distance, the other for near or intermediate range), a peep verifier or sight magnifier. Often it takes some trail and error to figure out what option is the best for you.

Some good advise has already been given. Try shooting with both eyes open and focus on the target, not your pins. It's OK for your pins to be out of focus. You just need to be able to see them a little!

And yes, I'm an optometrist and I do approve this message!
elkmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
Timber
Chromer

I refuse to admit that I am getting old but with glasses the medium to large g-5 meta peep works real well. I have never seen through a peep as well even when I didn't need glasses but I'm still not old
Old 02-16-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Meats
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Crouper View Post
What he said.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
elkjunky
Fry

I had the same problem two years ago. What worked for me was to get the biggest peep i could and then i purchased a single pin adjustable sight. It took a little time to get used to, but now I like it better than any sight Ive ever had. My shooting has actually improved. The hardest thing is you have to adjust for yardage before you draw back. There are some that have an adjustment at full draw. Not mine.
elkjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
Rockwarrior
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkjunky View Post
I had the same problem two years ago. What worked for me was to get the biggest peep i could and then i purchased a single pin adjustable sight. It took a little time to get used to, but now I like it better than any sight Ive ever had. My shooting has actually improved. The hardest thing is you have to adjust for yardage before you draw back. There are some that have an adjustment at full draw. Not mine.
What kind of peep and adjustable sight is it? Who makes it?
Rockwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
MAVsled
Coho

in my 50's now and vision has diminished a little bit.
got rid of a peep and went with the Anchor site.

should have switched years ago. No vision problem in regards to use of a peep now and larger, open sight picture too.
MAVsled is offline   Reply With Quote