Sudafed over the counter in Washington? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
weekender
King Salmon

Default Sudafed over the counter in Washington?

Can you guys still buy Sudafed without a prescription in Washington?

weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
BrassMonkey
Chromer

Default Re: Sudafed over the counter in Washington?

Yes, I buy them every couple weeks.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
duckboy
King Salmon

you can still buy ephedrine.
You have to ask the chemist for it and sign off with your license etc.
duckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Hogmaster

And you can too, just to be clear. An Oregon resident can buy it in WA, but as duckboy mentioned it is behind the counter and you need to produce ID and sign for it. And there is a limit per transaction of 96 pills. But no prescription is required.
Hogmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
lentz
Sturgeon

I just found out today that here in Oregon you need a prescription but the insurance companies will not cover it.
lentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Dan360
Sturgeon

Darn meth addicts/cookers messed it up for everyone.

TEAM PURIST
Dan360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
07clackapramowner
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekender View Post
Can you guys still buy Sudafed without a prescription in Washington?
You gonna brew up something in your eggs to get fish hooked?

Brown bag happens.....
07clackapramowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
kaimuki49
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan360 View Post
Darn meth addicts/cookers messed it up for everyone.
That's one way of looking at it, but I am of the opinion that it is just another example of a bad, over reaching law, with "good intentions", that does more collective harm to society than good.

Every person who needs a legit dose of a long established and useful medication must now submit to the whole ID, sign for it, and be scrutinized by a pharmacist, or if in Oregon, take the time and expense of a doctor's office visit to get a prescription for it.

This is another example of a poor legislative effort to solve a problem with an overly broad law, which unduly burdens law abiding citizens, and does little to truly impact on the use of meth.

I'll start another thread about the ballot initiative this coming election in Washington which will nearly double the price of eggs and put a lot of old time farmers out of business because PETA and others, like the Humane Society, want chickens to have flock coops and not individual cages.

big kahuna

Last edited by kaimuki49; 02-05-2011 at 10:46 PM.
kaimuki49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
Hondo
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki49 View Post
That's one way of looking at it, but I am of the opinion that it is just another example of a bad, over reaching law, with "good intentions", that does more collective harm to society than good.

Every person who needs a legit dose of a long established and useful medication must now submit to the whole ID, sign for it, and be scrutinized by a pharmacist, or if in Oregon, take the time and expense of a doctor's office visit to get a prescription for it.

This is another example of a poor legislative effort to solve a problem with an overly broad law, which unduly burdens law abiding citizens, and does little to truly impact on the use of meth.

I'll start another thread about the ballot initiative this coming election in Washington which will nearly double the price of eggs and put a lot of old time farmers out of business because PETA and others, like the Humane Society, want chickens to have flock coops and not individual cages.

big kahuna
Wow, Kaimuki, that chicken coop thing sounds ridiculous, almost Portlandia!!! As for the Sudafed issue, Coricidin D does the same thing, IMO...
"There is a secret bond between slowness and memory, between speed and forgetting...the degree of slowness is directly proportional to the intensity of memory; the degree of speed is directly proportional to the intensity of forgetting." --Milan Kundera
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #10
Trick
King Salmon

Quote:

big kahuna
I actually was called be these nut jobs asking me a whole bunch of questions about how I feel about chicken conditions. I told them they were out of their minds asking voters in these economic conditions to propose legisltion that will vastly increase our food budgets on staple food items.

The guy was calling from Vegas on top of that.
Member #200 and something?
CCA NRA OFF Member
Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #11
JerryM
Ifish Nate

Quote:

big kahuna
I had this opinion of the script law when it was first introduced. It turns out I was very wrong and so are you. This law, combined with regulation of iodine, nearly eliminated meth labs in our state.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
kaimuki49
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick View Post
I actually was called be these nut jobs asking me a whole bunch of questions about how I feel about chicken conditions. I told them they were out of their minds asking voters in these economic conditions to propose legisltion that will vastly increase our food budgets on staple food items.

The guy was calling from Vegas on top of that.
YEAH, the backing for the effort is from two large national organizations, the Humane Society of the United States, and Farm Sanctuary, which had collaborated in 2008 to get Prop 2 on the California ballot. The ballot measure passed and now California's farmers have until 2015 to be in full compliance.

In Washington the measure would also prohibit the importation into the state of eggs produced at farms which do not meet the standards in the Washington law (this aspect may have constitutional inter-state commerce clause problems). The group formed in Washington to advance the proposed measure is called Washingtonians for Humane Farms.

The end game is to end all farm slaughter according to the Farm Sanctuary and while the Humane Society is more circumspect in articulating its goal in such matters as this, its stated goal being "to reduce animal suffering", the Humane Society has consistently cast it's lot with vehemently vegan groups like Farm Sanctuary.

The Washington measure needs around 242,000 signatures by July 8th to be put on the November 2011 ballot. Beware of foxes in sheep's clothing.

big k

Last edited by kaimuki49; 02-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
huntercgr
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I had this opinion of the script law when it was first introduced. It turns out I was very wrong and so are you. This law, combined with regulation of iodine, nearly eliminated meth labs in our state.

Meth labs have dramatically been reduced since this new legislation was enacted. In turn meth use decreased only slightly though, if at all. This eliminated one problem, meth labs in our neighborhoods, but greated another problem, a huge increase in the trafficking of meth from the south.
huntercgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #14
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:

big kahuna
Our chickens range our entire property but this can't be done on a production farm.

Restricting access to sudephedrine did nothing to reduce the number of tweekers in my neighborhood, they started processing meth out of their urine and now most of the meth comes from Mexico.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
kaimuki49
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
URGHhhh . . . IODINE! Don't get me started on that one lol - we use a lot of iodine on the farm and buying it now is a waste of time for the consumer and store which has to obtain, keep, and report on iodine sales as if it were C-4.

Would you be able to give me a citation to how meth use has been impacted by these measures? t bk m
Old 02-06-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

The law was never intended to directly reduce meth use. It was directly intended to reduce meth labs that were contaminating hotel rooms, rentals, timber stands, etc. And it did a fine job of doing that.

Millions of tax payer dollars are no longer going to clean up meth labs. It hasn't stopped it, but it sure has saved us tax payers a bunch of money.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #17
huntercgr
Super Moderator

"Once the scourge of law enforcement agencies, home-based methamphetamine labs have virtually disappeared in Oregon.
That hasn’t, however, decreased use. Instead, meth-related arrests are increasing. Hermiston Police Chief Dan Coulombe said earlier this month that meth-related incidents in Hermiston actually rose in 2010, while marijuana-related incidents dropped slightly.

Part of the reason for the reduction in meth lab numbers is Oregon’s progressive laws that make psuedoephedrine a prescription drug.
Psuedoephedrine-based cold medicines are used to make meth in small home-based labs. Under Oregon’s law, passed in 2006, the people who run meth labs have a hard time getting enough psuedoephedrine to make their product.

Since the laws were enacted, the number of meth-lab incidents in Oregon has averaged less than two per month. Last year, there were just 13 reported meth-lab incidents in the entire state.
Before the laws went into effect, Oregon averaged nearly 39 meth-lab incidents per month.

In comparison, the Drug Enforcement Agency reported that in 2009 there were 76 meth lab-related incidents in Washington state, and only 13 in Oregon.
“Meth labs are really non-existent,” Hermiston Police Chief Dan Coulombe said. We don’t encounter labs.”

Hope this helps.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Sinsation
Steelhead

yes, u just have to ask for it. they take ur name and stuff.
Sinsation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
Keta
King Salmon

Quote:
URGHhhh . . . IODINE! Don't get me started on that one lol - we use a lot of iodine on the farm and buying it now is a waste of time for the consumer and store which has to obtain, keep, and report on iodine sales as if it were C-4.
Do you use Betadine? So far we haven't had probems getting it.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
kaimuki49
Chromer

[QUOTE=STGRule;3517350]The law was never intended to directly reduce meth use. It was directly intended to reduce meth labs that were contaminating hotel rooms, rentals, timber stands, etc. And it did a fine job of doing that.

SGT - Your concern re neighborhoods and the dangers of hazardous materials is certainly valid and no one would think otherwise, but the challenge is for us as a people to enact laws that prohibit and target the undesirable behavior, while at the same time not creating an undue burden on society and/or making otherwise legitimate activities illegal.

HB 2485 was signed by Gov T K which is the law we are discussing. A reading of the Introduction or Purpose section of the law makes it clear that the primary concern or goal of the law was to establish a coordinated effort of prevention, enforcement and treatment.

The problem with laws such as this, is that it gives the illusion of making societal progress on a problem. The USE stats for meth have not plunged - indeed, small scale lab operations have been diminished, but my point initially was, and is, that broad sweeping laws which impact every single citizen with an added regulatory burden are not the way to address issues like meth use.

Since small meth lab use has gone down, but consumption of the drug has not, one can assume that it is being produced either in better hid locations or in fewer, but larger locations. In either event the net environmental hazards are the same: equal amounts of meth produce equal amounts of hazardous by product. It may just not be down the block from you, but to equate being "out of sight" with actual progress on arresting the use of the drug, and its many many social costs, is a dangerous thing to take comfort in.

You stated that the law was never intended to directly reduce meth use, but rather to reduce small meth labs. To the contrary, the law was intended to put a dent in the easy accessibility of meth, and thus its use. The law also sought to put an integrated system of child protection, prevention, and criminal apprehension in place. Reading the committee reports further evinces that the concern was not primarily about keeping hotel rooms etc clean and bio-hazard free, but rather to keep our communities clean and free of the plague of meth.

Again, good intentions often make really bad laws - this is one of them. I am sure hunters can see a similar pattern in the efforts to ban individual ownership of weapons because bad guys sometimes use weapons to commit crime. Most people used to use Sudafed for entirely legit purposes too. t bk

Last edited by kaimuki49; 02-06-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #21
kaimuki49
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
Do you use Betadine? So far we haven't had probems getting it.
Thats good to know!! I shall look into that. thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #22
huntercgr
Super Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but HB 2485 isn't a law.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #23
gottafish
King Salmon

Mywife has horriable sinus problems we just ask the doc for sudafed perscription and they give it to us no problem. the stuff you get in the store is about 20 mg and the stuff we get from the pharmacy is 40mg. so you take half a tablet and the sinuses drain.
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote