Smoked salmon shelf life question - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifishers Recipes!

Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
rogue541
Fry

Default Smoked salmon shelf life question

Hello,

After cooking salmon weekly for years I finally gave in and bought a little chief smoker to take a stab at smoking some fish. My question is if I were to eventually smoke up some edible specimens good enough to merit a vacuum seal, how long is the shelf life of sealed smoked fish?? I would like to give out as Christmas gifts and save some coin.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
OceanBlue
King Salmon

Default Re: Smoked salmon shelf life question

That's a very difficult question to answer. A lot has to do with your smoking/curing method and how well vacuum sealed it is. It's probably safest to vac seal and freeze, but personally, I don't care for smoked fish that has been frozen.

I'd say that unless you do some fairly intensive research on safe curing/smoking methods, a couple of months tops.

then again, native americans have been smoking/drying fish as a means of longer term preservation for centuries...
Old 01-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
rogue541
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
That's a very difficult question to answer. A lot has to do with your smoking/curing method and how well vacuum sealed it is. It's probably safest to vac seal and freeze, but personally, I don't care for smoked fish that has been frozen.

I'd say that unless you do some fairly intensive research on safe curing/smoking methods, a couple of months tops.

then again, native americans have been smoking/drying fish as a means of longer term preservation for centuries...
Ok thanks for the response. From what I've researched so far it seems like there's just about as many tactics to smoking fish as there are to catching them so this should be fun Most of the fish I have is 1-2 year old frozen kenai sockeye so ill have some stuff to experiment with. I'm not sure what the freeze life is of fillets but I will find out once it thaws!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Gator Guy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue541 View Post
Ok thanks for the response. From what I've researched so far it seems like there's just about as many tactics to smoking fish as there are to catching them so this should be fun Most of the fish I have is 1-2 year old frozen kenai sockeye so ill have some stuff to experiment with. I'm not sure what the freeze life is of fillets but I will find out once it thaws!
Good chance you have some freezer burnt salmon. But what the heck give it a try
Gator Guy is offline   Reply With Quote