seaguar premier fluroocarbon comments? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
InTheVault
Tuna!

Location: Wherever I can bonk a 40#+ Nook......or in Beaverton when I need to sleep
Default seaguar premier fluroocarbon comments?

Would really like to hear any first experience people have had with this brand fluorocarbon. I've met a few people that swear by it and say it is a lot stronger than most fluorocarbon out there for the same test strength. Pretty spendy stuff though at $12 for a small 25yrd spool.

I know some fluorocarbon gets brittle in cold weather but if this stuff is resistant to the cold, I would shell out the $ for it.

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Nuttinbutnet
Chromer

Default Re: seaguar premier fluroocarbon comments?

Have used it for the last year. Plunking leader, plug leader, bait and diver leader, herring leader.. Never broke one and never had one come untied. Make sure your knots are lubricated when you pull them tight. Double Clinch Knot(trilene knot) or Palomar Knot. I don't think I would tie anything else with fluorocarbon, it is pretty slick stuff. Hope that answers some of your questions.
Greg
IFish Member #69
TEAM RIVERWOLF
MEMBER- BEAVER NATION
Nuttinbutnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Finaddict91
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttinbutnet View Post
Have used it for the last year. Plunking leader, plug leader, bait and diver leader, herring leader.. Never broke one and never had one come untied. Make sure your knots are lubricated when you pull them tight. Double Clinch Knot(trilene knot) or Palomar Knot. I don't think I would tie anything else with fluorocarbon, it is pretty slick stuff. Hope that answers some of your questions.
Greg
I used it when I can't fine PLINE CFX. Never had any problems with it.
Finaddict91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Steel Chaser
Fry

I was also wondering about this....The newest product from Seaguar is called Tatsu....supposed to be some sort of double resin custom blended into one line. I've seen some available on E-Bay for $39.99 per 200 yds. A bit pricey, but I still wouldn't mind trying a spool to see if there is really much difference over the Maxima Ultragreen I'm using now. Haven't seen it available anywhere in B.C. yet.....curious to find out if anyone has tried it or if it even for sale anywhere yet. We are going to be making one of our annual trips down south to re-stock on tackle in the next month or so.....any info would be muchly appreciated.
Steel Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
InTheVault
Tuna!

Location: Wherever I can bonk a 40#+ Nook......or in Beaverton when I need to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Chaser View Post
I was also wondering about this....The newest product from Seaguar is called Tatsu....supposed to be some sort of double resin custom blended into one line. I've seen some available on E-Bay for $39.99 per 200 yds. A bit pricey, but I still wouldn't mind trying a spool to see if there is really much difference over the Maxima Ultragreen I'm using now. Haven't seen it available anywhere in B.C. yet.....curious to find out if anyone has tried it or if it even for sale anywhere yet. We are going to be making one of our annual trips down south to re-stock on tackle in the next month or so.....any info would be muchly appreciated.

I've seen it for sale in the Cabelas catalog if that helps save you a trip. Let me know how it turns out
Old 01-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
dartonvpr
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
Would really like to hear any first experience people have had with this brand fluorocarbon. I've met a few people that swear by it and say it is a lot stronger than most fluorocarbon out there for the same test strength. Pretty spendy stuff though at $12 for a small 25yrd spool.

I know some fluorocarbon gets brittle in cold weather but if this stuff is resistant to the cold, I would shell out the $ for it.
It was the only brand we used in florida. I still have some and use it for salmon, but haven't noticed a differance between it and the BigGame I also use. Well, I haven't caught any more fish with it anyway.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
Steel Chaser
Fry

Quote:
I've seen it for sale in the Cabelas catalog if that helps save you a trip. Let me know how it turns out

Thanks, I'll check there when we get to the Cabela's in Lacey. Just one of many things on the wish list....tackle selection & price are so bad up here, 3 or 4 of us make the trip south 4-5 times a year to stock up. I'm always shocked by the amount of products that are available to you guys that we never even see up here, and how much cheaper stuff is in the States. My buddy is a guide up here, and he really likes using the Seaguar Fluorocarbon for leaders.....once he heard about the new Tatsu, he wanted to try it, but nobody up here has even heard of it, so I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has tried it.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #8
voodoo
Coho

I use 25# for springers when using herring and i love it.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #9
Rimrocks
Tuna!

Have not used in cold steelhead type weather, but love it for trolling herring.
Rimrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Fat Head
Chromer

I only use 12# Seaguar when I fish steelhead, never a problem. Make sure you tie good knots, and make sure the line is wet when you do, or you might fray it. I've broken one fish off with Seaguar, when the fish got in to some brush. Seaguar is my run-away favorite, just my ... be sure to buy the leader material. High and cloudy, or low and clear, the 12# doesn't seem to put the fish off...
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
InTheVault
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Head View Post
I only use 12# Seaguar when I fish steelhead, never a problem. Make sure you tie good knots, and make sure the line is wet when you do, or you might fray it. I've broken one fish off with Seaguar, when the fish got in to some brush. Seaguar is my run-away favorite, just my ... be sure to buy the leader material. High and cloudy, or low and clear, the 12# doesn't seem to put the fish off...
Does anybody know what the difference is between the premier version and the leader version??? I don't think I've ever come across a brand that specifically "brands" it as leader material as opposed to just xxx fluorocarbon.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #12
Spade
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Chaser View Post
My buddy is a guide up here, and he really likes using the Seaguar Fluorocarbon for leaders.....once he heard about the new Tatsu, he wanted to try it, but nobody up here has even heard of it, so I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has tried it.
Tatsu was released by Seaguar earlier this year and is still making its way through the Bass channels let alone the others. Our local shops here will order them by the case.....which is why I haven't picked it up yet for my warm water fun. But it's on the list for sure.

Quote:
Does anybody know what the difference is between the premier version and the leader version??? I don't think I've ever come across a brand that specifically "brands" it as leader material as opposed to just xxx fluorocarbon.
Premier is classified as leader material according to Seaguar.

Their mainlines are: Tatsu, Abrazx, Abrazx Ice, Invizx and Red Label.

Last edited by Spade; 01-07-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
Artwo
King Salmon

I use seaguar fluro in low water/high vis situations mostly, mainly summer steelhead, and have never had any problems with it. When it was recommended to me, first time using fluro of any kind, I was told to make sure m my knots are well lubed and pulled up tight slowly.
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Read1t48
Steelhead

what's the difference between seaguar's rating of "leader" material, vs. mainline?
I realize the spools are smaller, but the diamater of the line, in many cases, appears to be the same? If one is using the same kind of Flouro (Say Seaguar Invis), a 200 yd. spool for mainline is less expensive than 24yd. spool? Are the lines different?

Flurocarbon can be very confusing with all the makers out there. I sometimes wonder if the high price of the smaller spools has more to do with packaging expenses in the mfg'ering process rather than better material (more invisible, supple, etc).
Any thoughts?
Read1t48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #15
RiverMan
Sturgeon

Fluoro breaks way too easy..................I tried it several times including Seaguar and after losing fish went back to mono.

RM
RiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
BobberAnn
Coho

Thumbs up Re: seaguar premier fluroocarbon comments?

I have used it for a couple of years for Salmon ans Steelhead. It allows me to use a little heavier line for Steelhead yet keep it small. Works great but like others have said, be sure to lubricate your knots or you will burn teh line and snap it off when you set a hook. NOt hat I need the extrea competition but I've gotten some good deals on E bay. About half price or so even with shipping.
I love using 40 pound for my egg hook leaders for bobber fishing. You can hook and land several fish with the same leader.
BobberAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
chromesteel
Steelhead

Just buy the 200 yard spool, and use it for leader line never had any problems with it. I use it everywhere from the cowlitz to the queets, steelhead to salmon. Why spend more $$ for just a 25 yards of leader line.
chromesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
FishOnLoomis
Chromer

I used the 10 lb test for leaders drift fishing for winter steelhead last year but actually changed back to the maxima ultragreen this year. I dont have any experience with the heavier Seaguar lines, but the lighter line seems to be pretty susceptible to fraying on rocks when your bouncing the bottom (or the fish's teeth if you catch'em ). The maxima seems to hold up a little better to me.
FishOnLoomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #19
Starfish

I use the 10# and 12# for steelhead bait leaders, and the 20, 25, and 30# for plug leaders on my flatline rods. Great stuff.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Spade
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read1t48 View Post
what's the difference between seaguar's rating of "leader" material, vs. mainline?
I realize the spools are smaller, but the diamater of the line, in many cases, appears to be the same? If one is using the same kind of Flouro (Say Seaguar Invis), a 200 yd. spool for mainline is less expensive than 24yd. spool? Are the lines different?

Flurocarbon can be very confusing with all the makers out there. I sometimes wonder if the high price of the smaller spools has more to do with packaging expenses in the mfg'ering process rather than better material (more invisible, supple, etc).
Any thoughts?
In general (not Seaguar specific) the main thing is the quality control process, with leader material you're going to get a more consistent diameter on the line the entire way while with the mainline it's not as closely watched.

There's also different manufacturing processes and ingredients for each of their lines. Some have more resistance to abrasion, while others are more about the flexibility.

They share some of this information on their website.

Along with that there are different purity levels of the Fluorocarbon crystals used and some companies have a lower standard than others.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
Siwash
Ifish Nate

Quote:

I have used it on several occasions for a leader when the water is low & clear, including the last couple winters when we've had an extended cold (and dry) snap, so I can still use 10-12# rather than drop to 8# in my usual choice of leader material (maxima). Didn't have any issues related to the cold (below freezing in the early a.m.). For comparison, I've also used the P-line fluoro and was satisfied with both, but found Berkley Vanish to be horrible. Tossed the whole spool after a couple trips instead of using it up first.

Like any/all fluoros, they're definitely more sensitive to friction from tying knots... if you feel the knot kinda seize up then "skip" while drawing it tight, best to re-tie.
Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #22
Spade
Tuna!

As with Siwash, my Berkley Vanish ended up being used for smallies instead of Steelhead it proved to be weaker than it's rating and not very uniform at all. Maybe I got a bum spool but I'm much happier with my Seaguar when it comes to anything nearing the needed line rating.

-Gabe Zawalski
Old 01-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
Just Fish
Ifish Nate

I have used the 25# flo seaguar for leader and it holds up well while on the hook kwick fishing.Its spendy in the 25 foot leader spool.Im going to try the 20# for flatlining plugs at the Dechutes.
Just Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #24
InTheVault
Tuna!

Has anybody noticed if the Seaguar leader material being more stiff than other fluoro such as P-Line? I've heard from a different fishing buddy that he felt it was a stiffer than the P-line Fluoro brand for the same lb test
Old 01-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #25
PJMM
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromesteel View Post
Just buy the 200 yard spool, and use it for leader line never had any problems with it. I use it everywhere from the cowlitz to the queets, steelhead to salmon. Why spend more $$ for just a 25 yards of leader line.
This is exactly what I do. The 25 yard spools, whether Seaguar of Maxima flourocarbon, is very expensive per yard. I buy the 200 yard filler spool of either Seaguar or Maxima in 8# or !0# and tie up my leaders.

Some posts have mentioned flouro line breaking easily. While I had the same experience 7-8 years ago and quit using the flouro for a while as a result, the last 4-5 years I have had zero trouble using either the Seaguar or Maxima products. Flouro lines of today are far superior to the earlier flourocarbon products, from my experience.
PJMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #26
PJMM
Steelhead

[QUOTE=Siwash;3464468]but found Berkley Vanish to be horrible. Tossed the whole spool after a couple trips instead of using it up first.

This was my exact experience with Berkeley Vanish. Garbage product and I threw it in the garbage.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #27
getfish
Coho

the guys at fisherman swear by it
getfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #28
blazinfish
Steelhead

Just bought some, and it burns and breaks on a knot sinch.
blazinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #29
MattPark
Sturgeon

Be sure to wet the knot before you cinch it.

I only use fluoro offshore, and only Yo Zuri pink. Zero complaints here.
MattPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #30
GLA
Steelhead

I for one have tried vanish and think they are spot on with the name. Every fish I hooked with that stuff did just that. It snaps as soon as they jump. I have never tried the seagur but have used the pline and maximum flouro and they were pretty good but for early summers and winters I still like UG.
GLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #31
Artwo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfish View Post
Just bought some, and it burns and breaks on a knot sinch.
With all fluro's you need to make sure you lubricate (saliva) your knots realy well and tighten them up really slowly. Not enough lube and to much muscle and it will burn/break.

I've used seaguar before and liked it but I prefer Maxima Fluro. Just personal preference...............
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #32
slabhunter
Sturgeon

I was able to land a nice springer a couple of years ago. 30lb Seagar translated to a spin...

Lost the first one that day. Clipped on the leader and hooked up to a
wallhanger.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #33
bluefishes
Steelhead

Quote:

Works great for Permit in Belize.
bluefishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #34
samdinger
Chromer

Quote:
I switched entirely to 10# seaguar fluoro for the first time this winter. I tied up close to 100 leaders with it and have not yet had a problem with it. I also took an old empty maxima leader spool, you know the 27 yard small one, and respooled it with 50 or more yards of the fluoro, so I can have some on the river when I need it also. I think the material is great.

Also the knots won't break as easy if you just pull the knot tight slowly with or without lubrication. The trick is to simply not heat up the line as you pull the knot tight. Lubrication works, doing it slowly also works....both is even better.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:32 PM   #35
Boster
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdinger View Post
I switched entirely to 10# seaguar fluoro for the first time this winter. I tied up close to 100 leaders with it and have not yet had a problem with it. I also took an old empty maxima leader spool, you know the 27 yard small one, and respooled it with 50 or more yards of the fluoro, so I can have some on the river when I need it also. I think the material is great.

Also the knots won't break as easy if you just pull the knot tight slowly with or without lubrication. The trick is to simply not heat up the line as you pull the knot tight. Lubrication works, doing it slowly also works....both is even better.
I am in Cabo fishing now. Today we had dolphin and birds as far as we could see and we could not get a hit using 50 lb leaders I put 30 lb fluoro on and before I could put the second rod out we had a tuna on. We changed over 2 other rods and they were the only rods bit. the water is not real clean but straight Mono leaders would not produce. What I changed to was seagur never broke a leader and the Tuna went to 40 lbs .
Yesterday fishing for sierra I changed lines to fluoro and the same thing happened after I took the wire off the hootchies and used fluor We got a dozen Sierra and they did not cut the line but as a bonus we also caught yellow tail

I believe
Boster
Ps 78 and calm today 42 fish in 3 days of fishing and saw many whales
In by 1pm
Boster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #36
Native Fisher
King Salmon

I have had mixed luck with all fluoro even seagar. If you need to use it make sure that you lube the knot well and pull slow. Then even after all that don't just pull test it, jerk test the knot. Even if you have to hold one end with pliers jerk test it. The pull test doesn't always tell you if the knot will hold or break.

The improved clinch knot is the worst knot possible for fluoro, find another knot for it.
Native Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #37
PJMM
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Fisher View Post
The improved clinch knot is the worst knot possible for fluoro, find another knot for it.
The clinch/cinch knot is the only knot I know! I have used it for nearly 50 years and use it with my flourocarbon leaders for both salmon and steelhead. No problems at all, other than when I tried Berkeley Vanish 5-6 years ago, which snapped when I looked at it.

What knot do others use to attach your pre-tied leaders, besides the clinch/cinch knot? Thanks.

Last edited by PJMM; 01-15-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: bad math!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #38
Timber
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMM View Post
The clinch/cinch knot is the only knot I know! I have used it for nearly 50 years and use it with my flourocarbon leaders for both salmon and steelhead. No problems at all, other than when I tried Berkeley Vanish 5-6 years ago, which snapped when I looked at it.

What knot do others use to attach your pre-tied leaders, besides the clinch/cinch knot? Thanks.
Some of the coated mainlines need a improved clinch knot to keep from slipping but with flourocarbon you will burn the line. The same goes with two many wraps. I start by tying the knot loose then wet and snug slowly. I'm not sure about the premier but the invisx they make as a mainline works very well for leader material. It is way tougher than their regular leader material.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #39
jonn5335
Tuna!

I had my 30lb mainline break before my 25lb seaguard
Old 01-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #40
SideDrifterGear

Quote:

The stuff is great. I have broken off 30 pound Braid and the 15 pound Seaguar leader held.

The diameter of Seguar Flouro is one step less compared to mono. so 12 pound fluoro = 10 pound mono in diameter.

Amazing stuff

As far as knots, I just make two loops through the eye and tie Grampa's plain clinch knot. Best all around knot I have found.

Last edited by SideDrifterGear; 01-15-2011 at 01:21 PM.
SideDrifterGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #41
BeaverPride
Chromer

Seaguar Carbon-Pro flourocarbon line is currently on sale at cabelas;
$8.88 for a 200 yard spool of #10 and #12,
$9.88 for a 200 yard spool of #20.

I've been using a spool of #14 Berkley Vanish as jig and plug leader material for 3 seasons, and never a problem. It's actually impressed me. Sounds like I'm lucky...

BeaverPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #42
anschutz1913
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverPride View Post

I've been using a spool of #14 Berkley Vanish as jig and plug leader material for 3 seasons, and never a problem. It's actually impressed me. Sounds like I'm lucky...

I've had great luck with berkely vanish....since it's fluoro I have no problem bumping up the line size (so I use 12lb instead of 10lb UG). I just tie a trilene knot, lots of lube, cinch it carefully. And since it's super cheap I have no problem replacing it. For springers this season I'm gonna try 25lb
anschutz1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #43
Boster
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPark View Post
Be sure to wet the knot before you cinch it.

I only use fluoro offshore, and only Yo Zuri pink. Zero complaints here.
My Cabo 2 cents worth on tuna the pink Yo Zuri worked great. maybe its the water color down there but I am changing all my tuna leaders and cedars to Pink Yo Zuri
Boster
Boster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #44
Fish Finder
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverPride View Post

Berkley re-formulated their vanish line a few years ago so the second generation vanish is a better product.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #45
Native Fisher
King Salmon

I have been fishing steadily with seaguar 12lb the last month. I have been using the trilene knot. I find that about 1/3 of my knots end up breaking on a hard jerk test, cost me one fish today. It was early and I had forgotten to jerk test after tying up my jig. The stuff works great, just gotta be on the ball with your knots.
Native Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #46
Spade
Tuna!

I've been using the fish-n-fool knot without issues on my fluoro. Keep it loose and slow till you're at the point you need to tighten it down.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #47
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

No way I'm shelling out for Seagaur when P-line flouro is just as good and a fraction of the price.