Anyone own the Benelli Ultra Light 20 gauge? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 12-29-2010, 05:41 AM   #1
freediver111
Tuna!

Default Anyone own the Benelli Ultra Light 20 gauge?

So I was 90% sure I was going to get the Weatherby SA-08...until I went to the store and had the Ultra Light 20 gauge in my hands.
I know there's a big difference in price (about $1000 difference!).
I wasn't ready to drop the money on the Benelli, but it felt so nice I'm considering saving for a few months and getting it.
It just felt and fit really nice....
So, anybody have any reviews? Does the 20 gauge kick like a mule? Can it handle light loads?
The only other issue about it is that I'll probably cry like a girl if I drop it, but I may just have to live with that fact and pass it down to the kids as a well used gun.
Tough decision, but feel and fit make up for a lot.....So, any negatives with this gun I should know about?

Last edited by freediver111; 12-29-2010 at 06:54 AM.
freediver111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
dfahunter
Coho

Default Re: Anyone own the Benelli Ultra Light 20 gauge?

I own 2 Benelli 20g (one in camo and one in black)... they aren't the "ultra light" but I looked up the specs and mine are a half pound more than the ultra lights. I have shot both a bunch this year and have had no problems. Actually took one to South Dakota pheasant hunting and was surprised and how hard it knocks the birds with the new Prairie Storm, and because of that I want to shoot it for decoyed ducks... but, shooting skeet this last summer with my wife and her friends, they shot it and had no problems at all with cycling the low base target loads... My vote would be for the Benelli but I am a huge Benelli fan...
dfahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
freediver111
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfahunter View Post
I own 2 Benelli 20g (one in camo and one in black)... they aren't the "ultra light" but I looked up the specs and mine are a half pound more than the ultra lights. I have shot both a bunch this year and have had no problems. Actually took one to South Dakota pheasant hunting and was surprised and how hard it knocks the birds with the new Prairie Storm, and because of that I want to shoot it for decoyed ducks... but, shooting skeet this last summer with my wife and her friends, they shot it and had no problems at all with cycling the low base target loads... My vote would be for the Benelli but I am a huge Benelli fan...
The Monte in 20 gauge is 5.6 lbs, while the UL is 5.2 lbs. Very little difference at all and I'm sure the action is about the same. I just really took a liking to the UL at the store. I'm trying to convince myself that it's not worth the extra $$$, but I'm in a losing battle. I don't own any expensive guns, but this one may be worth it.
I haven't held the Monte yet, but it' a contender as well......
Old 12-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
birdogbob
Cutthroat

I bought a benelli UL for my wife a few years back... i like it so much that i take it chuker hunting frequently...... Gas exchange provides minimal recoil for such a light gun . recommend it highly. bob
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #5
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

I have an UL 20; best lightweight shotgun on the market. Very little perceived recoil, cycles 1oz loads just fine (I don't know about 7/8, but my camo M2 20 won't cycle them). Fits and shoots like a dream. Between the UL and the M2, my 20ga handloads harvested 70lbs of pepperoni this season! OK OK, I did use the SBE for the early season geese though. Can you tell I love Benelli's?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
freediver111
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
I have an UL 20; best lightweight shotgun on the market. Very little perceived recoil, cycles 1oz loads just fine (I don't know about 7/8, but my camo M2 20 won't cycle them). Fits and shoots like a dream. Between the UL and the M2, my 20ga handloads harvested 70lbs of pepperoni this season! OK OK, I did use the SBE for the early season geese though. Can you tell I love Benelli's?
Any issue with a 24" barrel? I read on another forum that the receiver on Benelli's are a little longer so the 24" barrel acts like a 26".....Wondering about that.
I had every intention on saving $, but with all my Cabelas gift certs, I might as well save my cash for a few months and get the gun I really fell in love with.
It just feels too good, and I like the fact I can adjust the fit with shims.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

They have a 26" version, but with the extended Carlson LM choke, my 24" goes 25.5". For cover/woods hunting, it's perfect.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
young_gun
Ifish Nate

Always wanted one, love the way they pull up and swing.
young_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
waterbobber
Ifish Nate

Yeah, they feel like you're hunting with a BB gun they are so light. Everyone that has handled mine wants one...some went right out and bought them. Mine won't always eject the cheap 7/8 oz Remington game loads, but all the 1 oz loads work fine.
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
dfahunter
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by freediver111 View Post
The Monte in 20 gauge is 5.6 lbs, while the UL is 5.2 lbs. Very little difference at all and I'm sure the action is about the same. I just really took a liking to the UL at the store. I'm trying to convince myself that it's not worth the extra $$$, but I'm in a losing battle. I don't own any expensive guns, but this one may be worth it.
I haven't held the Monte yet, but it' a contender as well......
I am the wrong person to talk to about not justifying "look and feel" and spending extra to get what you want... at all... But I will agree with some of the later posts, I took one of the 20's to SD this year pheasant hunting and shot with about 20 guys and almost all of them grabbed my gun and threw it up and commented on how they "needed" one... they just fit and feel perfect to me. Now, would I like the pretty wood on mine? You bet... dang, now you have me thinking... thanks.
dfahunter is offline   Reply With Quote