Freezing smoked salmon? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Digifish
Tuna!

Default Freezing smoked salmon?

I have a friend that would like to give smoked salmon (not this year) but we are planning for next year. We would like to using spring fish or fall but either way it will be months before its given. Has any one froze smoked salmon? Does it come out fine? Any down sides? We will be vacuum packing it so that is a big advantage. I don't think just vacuum packing it and refrigerating it for months is a good idea. Right? Thanks for any insights.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
salmontime
Steelhead

Default Re: Freezing smoked salmon?

It comes out just fine. Vacuum seal it.
salmontime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
fishsticks
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmontime View Post
It comes out just fine. Vacuum seal it.
Yep, keeps a long time just fine.
fishsticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
ChrisCurtis
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishsticks View Post
Yep, keeps a long time just fine.
a LOOONG time. the only way it keeps longer is if you can it.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent.
ChrisCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

I know that the commercial smokers state on your box of smoked and vacuum packed salmon to only keep it in the refrig for 60 or 90 days...can't remember which...but then you must freeze it. We freeze ours and it does keep for a long time.
MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
the flyman
Chromer

The process I use is once you have your fish smoked, freeze it overnight, then vacumn pack it the next day. If you vacumn pack it after it is smoked fresh, the machine will draw the juices from the meat. Not what you want. Put the smoked fish on a sheet pan, freeze it overnight, then pack it, no juices will be drawn from the fish. I have had fish frooze and packed this way and it will last a long long time. If it last to long you're not eating enough of it.
I've kept fish 6 to 8 months this way and it still comes out great. remember to poke a hole in the plastic before you thaw it.
the flyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

We do this every year, but a little differently. We clean, fillet, cut to size, vac pac and freeze the fish that gets caught throughout the year. Then in late November, early December we break out the big smoker and do it all at once. Then we vac pac and freeze. Then we can gift as we need to.

I've always read that the fresh fish lasts longer in the freezer than smoked fish. Probably the moisture is the defining factor.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Digifish
Tuna!

Thanks so much for the advice. I knew they were a bunch of things we could learn first.

The whole sequence of when to smoke, vac-pack, freeze is one I had not considered.

so far we have: (all beginning with a good day of fishing!)

1. smoke-pack-freeze

2. smoke-freeze-pack

3. freeze-smoke-pack-freeze (advantage of single time smoking)

4. freeze-smoke-freeze-pack

Anybody other than the flyman have trouble with moisture being pulled from the meat during vacuuming? Can certain machines apply to much vacuum (kPa) I dont have a vack-pack machine yet so that might make a difference.

Thanks again
Old 12-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Jsail
Tuna!

Anybody other than the flyman have trouble with moisture being pulled from the meat during vacuuming? Can certain machines apply to much vacuum (kPa) I dont have a vack-pack machine yet so that might make a difference.

Thanks again[/QUOTE]

Like was mentioned earlier

I freeze my fish before I brine it - someone told me it breaks down the cell walls allowing for a better brine saturation

Brine and smoke it

When I'm ready to vacuum pack it, I place the fish on a cookie sheet in the freezer for 30 to 60 minutes. Then I vacuum seal it and put it back in the freezer before it thaws.

When I take it out of the freezer I break the seal so the vacuum doesn't draw the moisture out of the fish when it thaws.

I have found packages that were 5 years old in the back of the freezer that are no different than the ones I put in last month.
Jsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Soulakala
Tuna!

I agree with "JSAIL" that method works great with salmon and even better with Sturgeon. The only difference is my wife freezes the smoked fish over night and then vacuum packs the next day. I have not tried breaking the seal while thawing but have always let it thaw in the vacuum bag. I can tell you for a fact that smoked fish frozen then thawed is better than fresh. I say this because the oils and moisture are drawn out during the smoking process but during the thaw and vacuum process those are more evenly dispersed in the fish. What you get is a uniform moist product, that is unless you make salmon jerky, then all bets are off.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
Igotitreelbad
Chromer

I do it every year with smoked fish, deer/elk jerky. Foodsaver seal it and it is just fine.
Igotitreelbad is offline   Reply With Quote