Best Pack frame for hauling meat - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
uptracker
Coho

Default Best Pack frame for hauling meat

What is, in your opinion, the best pack frame for packing out meat and quarters?

uptracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
Fish Mount
Coho

Default Re: Best Pack frame for hauling meat

The best pack frame I have used is Bull Pacs.

Kevin
Fish Mount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
uptracker
Coho

FM,

Used one of them last year and loved it also. I'm leaning towards buying one, but would like others opinion too.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Beamerfish
Ifish Nate

Check out Barney's of Alaska - I've been eying these and am going to pick one up on my next trip through.

I've used a cheap frame with a shelf from our favorite outdoor store that is no longer with us. Worked but not ideal.

Next stepped up to a good Kelty frame I picked up off of ebay - it's one of the adjustable ones and works adequately but it is not going to stand up to very many very heavy loads - it's meant for 40-50 pound backpack jaunts - not 100 pound meat hauls.

One of my buddies also uses one of the light plastic frames - it's nice because he can carry it easily with his daypack strapped on while hunting - but it failed miserably on one of our big meat load trips.
Beamerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

The one on your buddies back
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

I agree the Pack Bull is build like a tank.

When evaluating pack frames I'd look at quality of construction, weight, price, and whether you can use it off season.
Here is a related thread: List Your Fantasy Packboards here

IMO, the "best" pack is the one you have WITH you. Ok, this gets slightly off topic from here on......but still useful info, I think.
If your criteria is simply for packing meat, there are OTHER means of packing quarters beside the traditional pack frame.
Many of the high end day packs convert to accommodate quarters.
Eberlestock, Oregon Pack Works, Nimrod, Wilderness Pack Specialties, Jassens Hardcore all have solutions that support quarter transport.
I wish I had better pics from our elk hunt this year, but I did something kinda cool w/ my Nimrod that I think many here would find interesting. I'm really kicking myself for not getting a pic of it. But basically it involved a couple webbing straps, a couple buckles and some ingenuity. Imagine an elk quarter horz with straps around it buckled on the back of my Nimrod base belt harness. Super lightweight, simple, and surprisingly comfortable. When we quarter we do a variation of the gutless method and take the quarters off at the ball & socket, boning the quarter off the pelvic & spine. Leaves needless weight of bone behind w/ no waste. Backstrap, tender loins and neck meat are carved off and added to front shoulder bag. Evens out the quarter loads very nicely. Had my straps been longer I think I could've gotten a hind & front quarter bag straped on the back. I've hauled that much before in past years, but my straps for this pack simply weren't long enough. We only had to shuttle the quarters of 2 elk several hundred yards to a tree where we could tie the mules off to. But in past years we've hauled them 6miles back to base camp this way. Since the quarters are low on the back & horz, they lay flat & comfortable. No high center of gravity weight to throw you off balance on rough terrain.
Forgive me for going off topic.
Hunt'nFish

Believe it or not but next to those spike horns, is a Nimrod base belt harness w/ 2 quarters, a pull saw, and half those sheds strapped to it.
6miles baby!

Here is a pic of the same Nimrod Base Belt w/ MOLLE frame attached. (click link for more pics)

Here it is in action bear hunting this fall.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

I usually use use an internal frame pack, but my go to meat hauler is a kelty packboard. Very comfy.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Mossyhorn
Tuna!

I'll second Barney's Packs from Alaska. They are made to pack the heaviest loads and have been around a long time as well. I own one and are great packs, extremely tough.
Mossyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Amahnee
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaka Wacka View Post
I usually use use an internal frame pack, but my go to meat hauler is a kelty packboard. Very comfy.
I have one too! I love it. It's called the cache hauler. They have them at Fishermans for $119

Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Old Guys Rule
Tuna!

I love my Janseens Hardcore pack. Plastic frame flexes with your body and is quiet, no clinking metal. Super lightweight The pack is short at the bottom so you can wear it riding a horse or sit down comfortably with your pack on. Very adjustable it fits me great and has excellent support. The frame is designed with a handle at the top I don't have the expensive pack bag (another $200), just the frame and a meat sac($100) with compression straps.

I like this pack so much I use it hiking and backpacking, place my gear in a duffel or rucksack and strap it in the meat sack. Can't say enough good things about it, best pack I have ever had
Old Guys Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Hornhunter
Steelhead

Check out hornhunter packs new hybrid curl frame and there mainbeam xl pack
Hornhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Bi-Mart also has this frame I have & like. Blacktail from 2008.
Hunt'nFish

HIDEAWAY Final Frontier Hunting Backpack

Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

I also have the Wilderness Pack Specialties BigHorn Frame as well. Picked it up on sale at Fisherman's for $120. It's VERY light.
Haven't had a chance to bloody it yet, but I will.....maybe tomorrow.
Hunt'nFish

Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #14
Big Unit
King Salmon

No idea who makes this frame, but the fold down shelf style is very nice to lash a quarter onto. A good cinch belt around the waist is crucial too.

GOD, I LOVE THE HEFT OF A FULL PACK!!

BU

Last edited by Big Unit; 11-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
NeverGuess
Chromer

IMHO, any quality frame or freighter frame pack works fine. I personally think many packs have become waaay to technical. So many straps, buckles cinches, etc.

When a pack gets called a "system" that must = complicated.

I'm a hunter, so I hunt...no matter what
NeverGuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #16
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Neverguess, I hear what your saying......but a good pack "system" is worth it's weight in cold Henry's when your a long way from camp & need to move meat now. I hate having to go back to camp to get tools I should have w/ me now. It just makes for extra work & needless trips.

We all seem to have mastered remote controls & our DVR's & TIVO's....I think we can handle a few cinches & buckles as well.
Believe me, it's worth the effort. IMO the day's of sawing quarters down the spike and packing out needless weight on traditional pack frames are gone.
There are much easier & simpler ways to get meat out of a deep hell hole today.
Hunt'nFish
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

You can see in this picture the typical light frame (no hooks) shelf type pack frames. They work for meat haulers and are light weight.

Some of us old timers are resistant to change! Here's my pack board!

Yep, it's got a little blood on it!

I don't hunt with a pack on, kudo's to those who can, but I don't want all that garbage following me around or the extra weight. The way I hunt, I can always come back the next day to recover the animal.

What would turn my eye would be a packboard that was one of the light weight models with the shelf and had studs or semi-hooks that protruded from the frame. These light weight packs with no hooks or anchor points other than the cross members is problematic in my view.

Hunt'nfish- that is an interesting concept for packing. When going vertical with a full quarter we always made sure to get the pack high and like you said it did make you top heavy and prone to being thrown, but getting the pack low mean't being pulled over backwards all the time. So you don't feel that backwards pull with the quarter sideways? I would also wonder about packing over here on the westside with a quarter side ways in the reprod, seems you would snag up a lot. I definately agree with you about trying different methods though, it seems lately most of my elk get the bone out method you talked about. I was an old timer split them with an axe for many years, but then again the packs were shorter on the elk since the gates were open in those days. With the packs stretching out to 5 miles, we loose the bones now!!

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
jonnybullslayer
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amahnee View Post
I have one too! I love it. It's called the cache hauler. They have them at Fishermans for $119

I have two of these. They are great, but I've loaded em heavy and bent the supports for the shelf after a fall. Easy to bend back, but bendable none the less. I agree with an earlier post about the best one being the one with you. Most of these frames are for after the hunt. I used a buddy's MR Crew Cab and it is by far the best pack I've used. Nice and compact, yet can expand to haul a load! No rope required...all straps and buckles. Saving the coin to get one myself.
jonnybullslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Dale, is that a medivac stretcher or a packboard? Holy smokes that thing must be heavy.... EMPTY!

I think you would like the Hideaway frame from Bi-Mart; good hooks, adj shelf, awesome belt & shoulder straps. Those straps on the Kelty's get all mashed, twisted and are about a useful for padding as hemp rope! Not so w/ the Hideaway.

As for carrying quarters low & horz.....sure there is probably some situations here on the wetside where it might not work. But like you, I hunt light. Nimrod base belt & harness is all I hunt in. Those that have hunted w/ me understand why I like so much, low weight and very versatile. Snap, Snap and now I can haul quarters.
Options on the kill site are never a bad thing.
Hunt'nFish
Old 11-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
Amahnee
King Salmon

That Hideaway frame is heavy IMO... Then again, maybe I'm just a wuss!
Amahnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #21
Hornhunter
Steelhead

The hornhunter hybrid frame also has a drop down adjustable shelf.
Hornhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #22
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt'nFish View Post
Dale, is that a medivac stretcher or a packboard? Holy smokes that thing must be heavy.... EMPTY!

I think you would like the Hideaway frame from Bi-Mart; good hooks, adj shelf, awesome belt & shoulder straps. Those straps on the Kelty's get all mashed, twisted and are about a useful for padding as hemp rope! Not so w/ the Hideaway.

As for carrying quarters low & horz.....sure there is probably some situations here on the wetside where it might not work. But like you, I hunt light. Nimrod base belt & harness is all I hunt in. Those that have hunted w/ me understand why I like so much, low weight and very versatile. Snap, Snap and now I can haul quarters.
Options on the kill site are never a bad thing.
Hunt'nFish
The old board weighs 5 pounds, but is tough as nails. I will have to look at the Hideaway frame.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #23
dla
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfish View Post
the one on your buddies back
+1
Old 11-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #24
where's your bobber dude
Chromer

Quote:

One more for the Kelty.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #25
bigbuckslayer
Cutthroat

i vote bull pack
bigbuckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
sliverpicker
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
The old board weighs 5 pounds, but is tough as nails. I will have to look at the Hideaway frame.
I was in Bi-mart today and saw the Hideaway Frame. Adjustable bench and I like the hooks welded on the side, nice addition. $59.77
sliverpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #27
Tmhunter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverpicker View Post
I was in Bi-mart today and saw the Hideaway Frame. Adjustable bench and I like the hooks welded on the side, nice addition. $59.77
I have one of these and like everything about. Used it to haul 100lbs of salt into my trailcam this spring. Not bad for the price.

Last edited by Tmhunter; 11-04-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Tmhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
StevenB
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guys Rule View Post
I love my Janseens Hardcore pack. Plastic frame flexes with your body and is quiet, no clinking metal. Super lightweight The pack is short at the bottom so you can wear it riding a horse or sit down comfortably with your pack on. Very adjustable it fits me great and has excellent support. The frame is designed with a handle at the top I don't have the expensive pack bag (another $200), just the frame and a meat sac($100) with compression straps.

I like this pack so much I use it hiking and backpacking, place my gear in a duffel or rucksack and strap it in the meat sack. Can't say enough good things about it, best pack I have ever had

I agree.

I did note when straps are totally dry there can be a slight sound of straps rubbing. Solution is to wax the straps or get them a little wet,

SB
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #29
blueduck
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Hunt'nFish

I bought one of those the other day because they had them for $49.00. It's a good back up. I looked it over carefully and it adjusted up to me real nice and so I grabbed one. I figured for that price if it failed I wouldn't exactly cry about it, but it looks good for an inexpensive pack. Not sure a Bull Pack is worth that much more. This one is well thought out and is built right. So you really like yours?
blueduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #30
blueduck
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverpicker View Post
They had those for $49 bucks the other day and I liked the hooks too and they looked OK so I grabbed one. After I use it I'll know, but it looked plenty good to me. I bet I like it.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #31
buck2pro
Fry

I have used several packs and tried them all. I personally use the Badlands OX. It was far and above the best pack I have ever used. I hunt some of the toughest terrain in Hells Canyon and use my pack to both hunt with and pack meat. It will handle any weight you can carry if you are up to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptracker View Post
What is, in your opinion, the best pack frame for packing out meat and quarters?
buck2pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #32
Accumark Man
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
I bought one of those the other day because they had them for $49.00. It's a good back up. I looked it over carefully and it adjusted up to me real nice and so I grabbed one. I figured for that price if it failed I wouldn't exactly cry about it, but it looks good for an inexpensive pack. Not sure a Bull Pack is worth that much more. This one is well thought out and is built right. So you really like yours?

I have been using one of these for about 4 years now. I love it. It will pack as much weight as you can handle. You will not be disappointed.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #33
NeverGuess
Chromer

Hi Hunt'nFish,

I see where you are coming from. Just different takes. I have really gone back to basics with what I carry. I often only use a fanny pack as a day pack. I hate on/off with the pack while calling. Feels like I'm getting out of a parachute harness with some modern packs.

I go back to camp for bags/frames/cart. I do not hunt close to the road/easy country by any means. Usually so amped up, a mile or two with a head on my bareback is welcome pain.

and mmmm a cold Henry's sounds good right now

NG

Quote:
Neverguess, I hear what your saying......but a good pack "system" is worth it's weight in cold Henry's when your a long way from camp & need to move meat now. I hate having to go back to camp to get tools I should have w/ me now. It just makes for extra work & needless trips.

We all seem to have mastered remote controls & our DVR's & TIVO's....I think we can handle a few cinches & buckles as well.
Believe me, it's worth the effort. IMO the day's of sawing quarters down the spike and packing out needless weight on traditional pack frames are gone.
There are much easier & simpler ways to get meat out of a deep hell hole today.
Hunt'nFish

I'm a hunter, so I hunt...no matter what
NeverGuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #34
uptracker
Coho

Here's why I liked the Bull Pac last year. If the shelf would have had hinges or straps, I don't think I would be able to pack like this:

Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #35
Xtorminator
Steelhead

Quote:
Here's why I liked the Bull Pac last year. If the shelf would have had hinges or straps, I don't think I would be able to pack like this:

Another + for the Bull Pack.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #36
arlie
Chromer

Years ago I was lucky to stop at this second hand store by Brooks. There I saw a home made pack frame made of 1/2"stainless steel tubing. Everything was welded and it curved both ways for a comfortable fit on your back. I then found the strap kit for a pack frame at a going-out-of-business sale. I ended up with a great pack frame for less than $10.
arlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #37
brokenaxle3
Chromer

Another plug for Jansens Wilderness pack. I have put a couple hundred miles year for 4 years on my pack, and it is just as comfortable as the first hike. The bag part of the pack is well designed for comfortable carrying even in the brush. And has room for a 4 day trip but is light enough for an afternoon hunt. The bag is removable and has a wilderness Specialties very lightweight but VERY STRONG frame underneath. Can personally vouch for the fact that if you can carry it the frame will haul it. Comfortably.

Kind of spendy, but if you spend much time in the woods it is worth every cent.
brokenaxle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #38
Mainman38
Chromer

Quote:
Hunt'nFish

this is the one i have and love it
Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 AM   #39
THE KIWANDA KID
Steelhead

I like the kind that fits a mother-in law who invites herself to elk camp and doesnt tell anyone till she shows up in camp Never looked up hill once this year for elk
Old 11-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #40
Puffin
Ifish Nate

give a call to the surpluss store in boring. military issue virtually the same pack as my partner got 4 $350 ( cant remember the name) I paid $35 frame only full pack was about $65. 503-663-1531
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #41
WapitiBob
Tuna!

I prefer a pack that's been properly designed with load lifters that take the weight off the shoulders.

REI has a video that will show how a pack should fit.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...sting+fit.html
WapitiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #42
Xtorminator
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
I prefer a pack that's been properly designed with load lifters that take the weight off the shoulders.

REI has a video that will show how a pack should fit.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...sting+fit.html
Great link Bob.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #43
biederboat
Sturgeon

I'm sure there are better ones but dang, I just can't find a reason to upgrade my good ol' Camptrails Freighter frame. It's very light, good waist and shoulder pads, has a sternum (chest) strap and adjustable hip tensioners. I know they made a few that had adjustable shoulder tensioners which would be nice to have. I just hauled 1/2 a boned-out spike on mine and it did just fine.

Mine is a US made version, I'm sure the new ones are likely made in China

Biederboat
biederboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #44
delkhunter
Chromer

Quote:

Very good pack and very comfortable like stated above. I wouldn't trade mine!
delkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 PM   #45
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

NeverGuess, no I don't think we have differant takes. I think we see things darned near the same. I too do most of my hunting w/ a fanny pack. The only differance is my fanny is designed to be more than just a fanny pack. It adapts to my needs when I need it to. All I have to do is pull out a couple straps w/ buckles, loop them around a quarter (or two), snap the straps into the back of the Nimrod's harness and I'm off w/ meat, head/horns, hearts & livers or whatever the case may be. Once I get back to camp/truck to a heavy haul frame, you bet I'm gonna upgrade...but at least I didn't waste that first trip meatless.

I think if you give some of the new pack systems a chance, you'll see they can save you time & effort in the field.
Heck you can probably add buckles to the back of the pack you already have.
I have a modified Smart Rig fanny pack that I added 2" buckles and meat straps to the back of.
I've done some serious hauling w/ that setup before getting the Nimrod.
You can also do this w/ the Oregon Pack Works system as well.
Hunt'nFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverGuess View Post
Hi Hunt'nFish,

I see where you are coming from. Just different takes. I have really gone back to basics with what I carry. I often only use a fanny pack as a day pack. I hate on/off with the pack while calling. Feels like I'm getting out of a parachute harness with some modern packs.

I go back to camp for bags/frames/cart. I do not hunt close to the road/easy country by any means. Usually so amped up, a mile or two with a head on my bareback is welcome pain.

and mmmm a cold Henry's sounds good right now

NG
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #46
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
give a call to the surpluss store in boring. military issue virtually the same pack as my partner got 4 $350 ( cant remember the name) I paid $35 frame only full pack was about $65. 503-663-1531
John, Did it look something like this? This is the military MOLLE frame snaped on the back of a Nimrod harness. Cost me $25 a lunch. Thanks Ehunter! $$ well spent.
Hunt'nFish

Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #47
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
They had those for $49 bucks the other day and I liked the hooks too and they looked OK so I grabbed one. After I use it I'll know, but it looked plenty good to me. I bet I like it.
i bought one last year, nothing wrong with it, packed out 5 elk with it so far, not a single problem.
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #48
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

I've used a few and like my Badlands 4500...

But a good pack is one that is adjusted properly with good support....

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #49
Fried Oyster
Ifish Nate

I have the Bi Mart hideaway. I bought it after trying it on, having both my boys stand on the shelf while I shopped. Together they weigh 100 lb. No problem. One of the most inexpensive and most comfortable packs I've worn.

Turns out, it also fits my Badlands Hypervent on the back of it, and a whole lot of other stuff if I want to hike in and set up a spike camp and then convert to small pack.

My only concern with it is "Made in China." I kind of regret getting it for that reason.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #50
blueduck
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
i bought one last year, nothing wrong with it, packed out 5 elk with it so far, not a single problem.
That's interesting. Thanks. I usually try to buy the best I can afford and do a lot of research etc.....and like good stuff because I'll have it for the long haul, but in this case my initial reaction was this was a real good pack and had all the features it needed to have. I didn't like the idea that it was made in China and I don't like to do that especially when it's a stateside company, but for $49 if it packs out one elk it's a bargain. I can't find anything that I don't like about it. No question it will carry a quarter and that's all I'm interested in at this point.

(Twice in my youth my partners packed branch bull Rosies we only cut in half at the third rib tied on to the old green plywood military packs which only meant that we had very small brains at that time. Getting stood up was the big challenge. (Up hill, snow on one) I didn't really have to worry because I couldn't stand up under either. They did get even later. Never get distracted while they are sorting quarters and tying up your pack...only 3 of us).
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #51
shedfreak
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guys Rule View Post

I ditto that,,,,,, My Janseens pack is the best pack and frame I have used to date!!!!
shedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #52
Xtorminator
Steelhead

Here is a Bull Pack loaded with two Roosevelt elk hind quarters. I carried them just over a mile. Thank god that it was about 25 degrees.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #53
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Ha! You must be a stud or a good photo shopper! Who would pack the feet still attached?

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #54
SeanD
Tuna!

I dont know about the "best" meat hauler, but I was very suprised at how well my badlands 2200 carried this year. I packed out two rear elk quarters with it, two miles. It was really really really nice being able to pack one quarter on the way back to the truck with your "daypack", and not have to make that one extra trip.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #55
Keta
King Salmon

I wish I had better photos of the pack frame but I'd recommend a WPS, the company is owned by a IFISH member and they are made in Oregon. I watched Packer twist one of his frames almost 180 and it went back to it's original shape.

200lbs of moose quarter on a WPS pack frame.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #56
Xtorminator
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
Ha! You must be a stud or a good photo shopper! Who would pack the feet still attached?
Stud? Photoshopper? NOT. I'm just not smart enough to know any better.

Old 11-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #57
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Well, there was that option!

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #58
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keta View Post
Now that's hard core when you pack out a quarter of moose when you're standing beside a four wheeler.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #59
Keta
King Salmon

I thought the same when Packer gave me the photos, a 200lb moose quarter packs much better on an ATV than my poor old back.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #60
GS1
Coho

Quote:

I would NEVER be able to pack like that......the weight is to far back for me. He He! I have packed mainly with the freighter style and the bull pack. To me it is all about proper fit. If you cannot get the weight in the proper location in relationship to your build, you won't be HAVING FUN. Also the frame must adjust to your shoulders and hips properly.
GS1 is offline   Reply With Quote