What kind of heat lamp for pups ? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Exclamation What kind of heat lamp for pups ?

My female German shepherd is going to have pups any day now.I want to put a heat lamp in the birthing area for the pups.Was wondering what type to use.

One of the red ones?

My wife brought home a GE 250 watt clear one but it says only 20 to 30 minutes exposure and no closer than 18 inches.

Dont want have roasted German shepherd puppies.

HntnFsh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
tt3886
Chromer

Default Re: What kind of heat lamp for pups ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HntnFsh View Post
My female German shepherd is going to have pups any day now.I want to put a heat lamp in the birthing area for the pups.Was wondering what type to use.

One of the red ones?

My wife brought home a GE 250 watt clear one but it says only 20 to 30 minutes exposure and no closer than 18 inches.

HntnFsh
My experience is that it is mostly determind by the size of the whelping pen. Currently my pen is approximately 1 1/2 cubic yards, and I use a 60w lamp set in the corner (clipped on to the top of the pen), and a heating pad set on super low in the corner furthest from the lamp. Of course the heating pad is covered by several "dedicated" doggy blankets, and changed daily.

I've also tried hot water bottles (covered w/blankets) before, but they scare me. I've seen the dogs get stuck between the bottles and the side of the pen...I don't want to lose a dog that way.

They'll let you know if their to hot...ususally lots of whimpering.

Basically you just want to take the chill off. Also, the pups don't stay with mom for approximately the first two weeks. I keep them in a seperate pen (w/covered heating pad) just outside the whelping pen. The pups usually take to a every 2 1/2 ~ 3 1/2hr feeding cycle for 30min periods...

Hope that helps.

Todd
tt3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Hawaiian Time
Tuna!

HntnFsh...is your whelping box/pen indoors or out? What I have is a whelping area inside which is room temp. This illiminates the need to have heating lamps to keep the area warm enough for the pups. The first few days are the critical ones as mom could roll over or step on a pup while leaving the pen to air. What I have is a separate box with a heating pad set on medium, covered with towells. Before I take mom outside to air, I put all of the pups into the heated box. This is to insure that mom doesn't accidentally step on them. Once mom is back and is settled (fed and watered), I put the pups back with her. The first 3 to 4 days is critical as the pups are still not hardy. I purchase the 70"x40" moving blankets from Harbor freight that I use to cover the bottom of the whelping box. Wash them before use. Under the blanket, I place a layer of old bath towells. The towell obsorbs all the urine from the pups and I wash them and change them out daily. My whelping box also has a 4" white irrigation pipe on it's perimeter that is raised off the bottom about 3 or 4 inches. This border is to give the pups a safe area to slide under should they end up behind mom. (prevents mom accidentally crushing the pups to the whelping box wall with her back)

At 4 weeks when weaning starts, I have a 6'x6' pen, insulated with 1 1/2" foam sheet insulation. Bottom is plywood and covered with cedar shaving. This is when I use heating lamps to keep them warm. I have 2 heating lamp mounted 4 ft high up. I use the clear blue heating lamps and have not had any problems. I have one of the 250 and one of the smaller bulbs. I also have a standard lite that I will use when the heating lamps are not necessary. I have a 5 weeks old litter down now so if you need pics of both the whelping box and outdoor insulated pen, PM me with your email address for pics. HT
Old 10-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
tt3886
Chromer

HT said it better than I did ( I'm going to have to borrow the pipe idea).

tks.
tt3886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Isabella's Human
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HntnFsh View Post

One of the red ones?

HntnFsh
Use Hawaiian time welping box set up. I have seen in in action several times its the best set up ever. Its even better than the welping boxes Guide dogs for the blind use (kiddie pools)
Isabella's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
dlgobeavs
Chromer

[QUOTE=Hawaiian Time;3353067. My whelping box also has a 4" white irrigation pipe on it's perimeter that is raised off the bottom about 3 or 4 inches. This border is to give the pups a safe area to slide under should they end up behind mom. (prevents mom accidentally crushing the pups to the whelping box wall with her back)[/QUOTE]

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit?... for the life of me I can't picture this.
dlgobeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
wapiteaser
Ifish Nate

I wouldn't mess with a heat lamp, fire, over heating problems. I used a regular light bulb and it provided all the heat necessary. Then the second time, I just brought them in the house and solved all the problems.
wapiteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Hawaiian Time
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgobeavs View Post
Would you mind elaborating on this a bit?... for the life of me I can't picture this.

pic worth a 1000 words

When the pups get bigger and stronger where there is no worries about roll overs, I remove the pig railing. I just use the bricks to hold blanket in place and the white board is just a piece of seaboard. The pig railing sits on a 1"x2" that borders the whelping box. The whelping box is 4'x5' and can be taken apart for storage. The front of the whelping box is hinged so that you can fold half of it down so mom can get in and out easily. HT
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
dlgobeavs
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Time View Post

pic worth a 1000 words

When the pups get bigger and stronger where there is no worries about roll overs, I remove the pig railing. I just use the bricks to hold blanket in place and the white board is just a piece of seaboard. The pig railing sits on a 1"x2" that borders the whelping box. The whelping box is 4'x5' and can be taken apart for storage. The front of the whelping box is hinged so that you can fold half of it down so mom can get in and out easily. HT
Ah... it's the bricks that I missed. Thanks!
dlgobeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Thanks for the help folks.I built a whelping pen in the shop.So at least she is in out of the wind and rain exposure.I like the idea of the pipe.Looks great.I was mainly concerned that it would be too cold the first few days.I'm hearing they need to be kept 85 degrees or a bit higher for the first few days.

Its been a long tims since Ive had a dog that had pups.And then it was in the summer so heat wasnt a problem.

I have a wood stove in the shop but have to redo the pipe running it through the roof instead of out the wll.So its not ready to go.If I get a chance I will try to get that taken care of.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
Tilla
King Salmon

Avoid using the garage if you can, pups don't do well on cold concrete floors during this time of year if they escape.
Just one of those unfortunate disasters I've heard about.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
kaimuki49
Chromer

HT's pipe is a nice variation on the traditional bumper idea. It probably is easier to keep clean and to sanitize than the usual 2X2 or 2X4 used to create the bumper/safe place at the base of the wall.

One thing I would point out about heat lamps of any sort - you get a focalized area of heat, but it is more important to have the entire whelping and nursery area an even heat. Construct your area so the warm air does not escape easily, so its a nice even type of heat that encompasses the area. Best of luck to you. (And you are correct about the 85 degrees - they need to be pretty darn warm. 85 is gonna seem hot to you, but it isnt. Follow the tables to gradually lower the heat as the pups age, but be particularly careful the first couple weeks. I have experimented with every conceivable type of heating method over 40 yrs and a few yrs ago went to the heated floor type.)

Last edited by kaimuki49; 10-27-2010 at 01:10 AM.
kaimuki49 is offline   Reply With Quote