Anti-Gill Net Bumper Stickers and Tee-Shirts? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-13-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
Born to be Wild
Sturgeon

Default Anti-Gill Net Bumper Stickers and Tee-Shirts?

It's time to get rid of this parisitic fishery folks!
I have not even been impressed with the commercial smelt (gill-net) fleet on the Cowlitz River either.
Bunch of "enabler's" as GSA would call it.

So Boater was the first to suggest a bumper sticker and that was a "great" Idea!!!

This will be getting the message out that this is a "barbaric" practice that has out-grown it's time. (Ah yes, let's splash dam again).

Let’s design an "anti-gill net" bumper sticker that all north westerner’s will see day after day.

Tee-shirts will be real popular also as some request came in.

A lot of you ifisher's are PC and/or MAC experts so would you help design these bumper stickers?

I picture one with a seal entangled in the net.
I picture another with a wild endangered salmon or steelhead in a net.

As I said in my "Anti-Gillnet Initiative" post, we got to stop whining and do something about it.
Let's get her started!

Dano

[ 03-14-2004, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Born to be Wild ]

Born to be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:08 PM   #2
The Overfishin Condition

Default Re: Anti-Gill Net Bumper Stickers and Tee-Shirts?

I'll be the first to order, and start brainstorming a design! Let's get'r done.

www.promotionfishingproducts.com
The Overfishin Condition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
Born to be Wild
Sturgeon

[ 03-14-2004, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Born to be Wild ]
Old 03-14-2004, 06:37 AM   #4
SalmonJeff
Sturgeon

I am in! I would love to have some bumbper stickers and shirts I hate gill netters.

did I see get'r done!! By God I think I did. the cable guy will be in portland. but he's no Roy D mercer..

If it ain't 40 inches it probably ain't 20 lbs.
SalmonJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 06:41 AM   #5
RussT
Steelhead

I'd buy a t-shirt, and a couple of stickers.
RussT
Old 03-14-2004, 05:10 PM   #6
Go Harley
Steelhead

"Give salmon a fighting chance. Ban all gillnets!"
Go Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 07:08 PM   #7
pearl
King Salmon

Make sure you do this with a "Glass is Half Full" type message. Though we all have very strong thoughts about non selective net fishing you have to remember that you are trying to spread a message to other people that may not be tuned into the nuances that are involved with this fight. Send the message that has the ability to attract more proponents.

Here is a a button that I have worn on my hat for a number of years.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:20 PM   #8
Born to be Wild
Sturgeon

Cool! I like that button.
I was thinking earlier today when I heard rep's at the show make negative comments about gill-netting and thought maybe somrthing like; "Gillnets kill endangered species" (maybe with a red circle and red line through a pic of nets).
Bumper stickers would probably have to have a simple message and/or picture.
Tee-shirts though could probably have a picture of a poor seal entangled in the net.
I don't think a porpous or dolphin would work in the rivers though . :grin:

I don't know but there is a lot of wit and talent on this site and I'm sure we can come up with some good ones.

I just think after everyone and his brother broadcast this message on their bumper or window, it will prime the general public for the next voting opportunity.

Now we have the advantage of the web also and the lonely gill-netter doesn't because he is out numbered in his thinking or justification.

I sure would like to see some creative artwork on this thread or at least more input on catchy line condemming gill-nets.

Geez , anymore when I see those boats out there I think of torpedo's.

Dano

[ 03-16-2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Jennie@ifish ]
Old 03-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #9
OregonSportsman
Steelhead

I like the idea of having a fish on the T-shirt but not a seal. I would definately buy a T-shirt and sport it with pride....
OregonSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:35 PM   #10
boater
Tuna!

"stop the unregulated polution, ban gillnets"
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:50 AM   #11
LQQKASTAR
Ifish Nate

maybe an above and below water veiw, cartoon style of a net in the river bulging with fish then just below that a father and son in a boat,lines out with no fish around, then some kind of caption......"i guess their just not biting today"

[ 03-15-2004, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: LQQKASTAR ]

Team "Just keep fishing" 1st Place,Ilwaco 2010
Oregon Tuna Classic participant,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009.WTC,2009,
LQQKASTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:32 AM   #12
chummer
Ifish Nate

A sealion in a gillnet? that's a good thing isn't it? It's a win - win situation! the gillnet trashes the sealion, and the sealion trashes the gillnet.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 AM   #13
crabbait
King Salmon

Let's look at the whole picture:

Hatchery springers are allocated between the Sportfishers, Gill Netters and the Tribes. As far as I can tell, there is no reason to change the allocation. We may want a larger percentage but we really do not have a reason for getting more of the fish (other than greed). I am sure that both other factions would also like more of the total number.

Gill nets (and tangle tooth nets) are one method that the commercials use to harvest their quota. Along with the hatchery fish, they also catch native salmon and steelhead that need to be protected (along with other non-target species). Here is the crux of the problem: Gill nets are indiscriminate.

In order for any action to be effective, it seems to me that someone must devise a way for the commercial fishers to harvest their share with minimal impact to the other fish. Currently, impacts are managed by timing the fishing and the runs, limiting the amount of "soak" time, and adjusting net sizes.

If these measures are not adequate then other methods must be devised. I see no proposed alternative that would protect non-target species and allow for a competitive commercial fishery and that is exactly what it is going to take to get the nets out of the river.

By the way, I watched a netter make two passes last Friday. I was in a position to see his entire net pull on each pass. For his efforts that morning, he caught a grand total of absolutely nothing, zip, zero.
crabbait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:55 PM   #14
The Overfishin Condition

Obviously not a graphics designer... but... here's an idea...

www.promotionfishingproducts.com
The Overfishin Condition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 02:24 PM   #15
BUGLEMAN
Tuna!

I would put that on the back of my car. Net loss is an essential statement combined with a seal is a killer for the bleading heart liberals of this state.

I have a big and a small bumper.

How much does the state siphon from us sport fishers to set up this joke of a commercial season?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #16
BUGLEMAN
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally posted by crabbait:
Let's look at the whole picture:

In order for any action to be effective, it seems to me that someone must devise a way for the commercial fishers to harvest their share with minimal impact to the other fish. Currently, impacts are managed by timing the fishing and the runs, limiting the amount of "soak" time, and adjusting net sizes.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Folks the commercial fishermen have shot over thier allocation every year that I know of for the last 5. On the Willy, when runs were small if the sports went over they state curtailed the season. If the commercial fisherman go over it gets cut out of the sports and then the commercial fishermen get a larger allocation the next year. Pollitics are against us. But the sport fisherman can have a say at commision meetings.

So there is a way to get the commercial fisherman and gillnets and that is a state petition iniative that bans commercial fishing in fresh water for salmon and the use of gillnets in the state waters of Oregon.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:58 PM   #17
Born to be Wild
Sturgeon

TOC, you do pretty good for not being a graphics designer.
I like that one and I would like to see one with dead salmon in a net that says something along the lines of gill-nets kill endangered salmon and steelhead.

I would like to have both on my van.
Come on boater, let's see what you can come up with.
Well, maybe we shouldn't! :grin:
Old 03-15-2004, 04:21 PM   #18
pearl
King Salmon

Quote:
If these measures are not adequate then other methods must be devised. I see no proposed alternative that would protect non-target species and allow for a competitive commercial fishery and that is exactly what it is going to take to get the nets out of the river. Crab Bait
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">1)I'm interested in opinions on the quote that Crab Bait has above. If we really want change a bumper sticker or t-shirt is probably not going to do it. Like all problems if we do not come to the table with suggested answers or changes the problem won't go away.

2)Are you/we against gillneting or commercial fishing? Myself I'm against gillnetting.

3)My suggestion would be.....First step: Ban the non-discriminating practice of gillnet fishing in the Columbia River. My option would be to have a commercial season by those who hold the proper permits but change the style of fishing. Can a commercial fisherman use a technique like long lining or multiple rods with multiple hooks/lures/etc. If so this would probably lower the steelhead kill, provide easier release of wild fish. The only worry about seals would be wether they got to the fish before the fisherman.

I ask these questions not claiming to be an expert in the field but to find the best solution to a subject that brings out alot of passion in all of us.

Lets Hear some solutions !

[ 03-15-2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: pearl ]
Old 03-15-2004, 04:23 PM   #19
boater
Tuna!

dan, maybe we should have a bumper sticker that says "WWW.STOPGILLNETTING.COM" and start a website that shows the truthfull negative impacts of letting gillnets in the water, we could post links to places like the derelict gear website that is linked from the wdfw website, we could post info on the impact to wild steelhead, maybe throw in some pictures of sturgeon floating away from gillnets and throw in some dead birds and seals and stuff, you know, just the normal stuff that gillnets do.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #20
B-run
Chromer

Not to open a new can of worms, but are the commercial gill netters any worse than the tribal nets upriver that go for days without being checked, stretched across river mouth openings at night? I am not a big fan of either, and would assume that eventually the salmon farmers are going to put the commercial boys out of business due to $.? But salmon farming is a whole other can of worms in itself. Sealions irk me off sometimes, but it still makes me sick to see one drown in a net.Much worse to see a monster nate urb stiff and cold.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #21
BUGLEMAN
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally posted by B-run:
Not to open a new can of worms, but are the commercial gill netters any worse than the tribal nets upriver that go for days without being checked, stretched across river mouth openings at night? I am not a big fan of either, and would assume that eventually the salmon farmers are going to put the commercial boys out of business due to $.? But salmon farming is a whole other can of worms in itself. Sealions irk me off sometimes, but it still makes me sick to see one drown in a net.Much worse to see a monster nate urb stiff and cold.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">That is the kicker. If gillnets were banned then at least the Indians couldn't use them either. There could be a proposal to replace then and tooth tangle nets could be specified (if they work) with a small enough mesh size that won't impact steelies.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #22
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

Crabbait is on to something! Bumper stickers aren't going to stop the netters. They are organized, they fly to D.C. to lobby, and they are articulate and educated when they present their ideas to congress and to the state fisheries managers. What to sportfishermen do? Complain a lot on Bulletin boards without knowing most of the facts about gillnetting, speculate that the netters are all outlaws, joke about throwing hay bales in the river, and devise anti-gillnetting bumperstickers! (No offense, Dano - I know you have good intentions, but c'mon - do you really think this is going to work?)

It's easy for me to sit back and critique, but like most sportsfishermen, I don't want to organize an anti-netting effort either, even though I'd vote for it if it ever hit the ballot. Talk is cheap! There's been an anti-gillnetting post on this board every week since I've been a member here and still nothing changes. I'd encourage the major gillnet complainers to either "put up or shut up". I know from experience that they will do neither.
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:03 PM   #23
Pete
Administrator

The first step to accomplishing change is to get educated. And guess what? There's a great opportunity tomorrow morning!

The Pacific Fisheries Management Council is having their hearing on Columbia River fisheries at the Doubletree Hotel at Janzen Beach at 9 AM tomorrow.

It's a great time to come, sit and listen. You'll get a real sense of the science that goes into understanding what the fish are doing and how the agencies respond to that to attempt to craft a fair season, within the constraints of dozens of laws.

North of Falcon - important series of meetings.

Each year state, federal and tribal fishery managers gather to plan the Northwest's recreational and commercial salmon fisheries. This series of public meetings between federal, state, tribal and industry representatives and other concerned citizens is known as the North of Falcon process.

The North of Falcon planning process begins with the March and April meetings of the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PMFC), where ocean commercial and sport salmon seasons are set. In between the two PFMC meetings, the states of Washington and Oregon and the Treaty Tribes sponsor two additional meetings. Fishery managers generally refer to the entire pre-season process as North of Falcon, although only the two meetings hosted by Washington and Oregon are actually titled North of Falcon meetings

North of Falcon Overview

How salmon fishing seasons are set

[ 03-15-2004, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

Report Game Violations!

Washington: 1 877 933-9847

Oregon: 1 800 452-7888
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:52 PM   #24
Wildgoose
Steelhead

OK boys I'm just a fry here but let me try to hang here for a second.
Crabbait is right.We all have opinions and other ways to vent.But you have got to have an alternative to get noticed.Back in the 1800's they had "fishwheels"Very effective harvesting machines. Before you feed me to the terns,read this letter by our very own Gary Loomis.Go to this www.fishfirst.org and click on Salmon Recovery.

Obi Wan Kenobee
Wildgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 07:08 PM   #25
boater
Tuna!

[ 03-15-2004, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: boater ]
Old 03-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #26
Chilly one
Steelhead

Dan you always have to be stirring the POT don't 'cha? Controversy is your favorite pastime friend! You need a couple girlfriends.

Politics is your reel calling!

Go get'em!

"Happiness is a Bent Rod!"

In the Sun, Chillyone
Chilly one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:52 PM   #27
Born to be Wild
Sturgeon

Quote:
You need a couple girlfriends.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">You’re right! At least one! :grin:

I’m not trying to stir the pot on most issues but bring to light some modern science, stat’s, opinions and otherwise.
There is more than one way to look at a lot of issues and some have a tendency to get overlooked.

If trend’s show us that sunbathing in the sun relates to wrinkled skin and/or skin cancer in later years I have a tendency to believe it.
Sorry and as I have often stated, I am not anti-hatchery, only anti-hatchery where I feel we could live without them or where they are causing wild fish declines which is well documented by science.
And yes, I get pretty frustrated at times when overwhelming documents, reports, etc. are posted and some folks are still in denial like they know more than the experts world wide.

Pearl and Killertraylor;

This isn’t about anti-commercial fishing.
I have friends and know some ifisher's that are commercial fishermen.
Some commercial fisheries I feel need to be eliminated like for example netting Yaquina Bay Herring spawner’s and inshore commercial bottom fishing along with river gill-net fishing.

"put up or shut up"?
I thought that was the intention of this and my last thread “ban gill-nets initiative”.
Some of us want that type of fishery banned.
Your comments don’t seem to fit the “put up” category.

Yes I do think this can help and be part of the process or move to eliminate the net’s where we weren’t successful the last time.

The general public was mislead by pro gill-net ads & commercials showing the poor starving gill-netter or how they were sending their children to college with all that extra money they were making.
This is what I heard anyway and the smelt dipper I met from Auburn I helped out this morning told me the same.

So I think this is a step in educating the general public that doesn’t fish as to what is really taking place in the rivers or the dark side and what a wasteful (wild fish and economical) fishery it is in several ways.
Ban the gill-net fishery and I could care less if the ex-gill netters fished them with trawl gear or fish wheels if it is proven healthy for the wild fish.

Boycott netted salmonid, buy trawl caught salmonid like they did with the tuna years ago is another approach.

I think we should start a movement and it will grow as did the anti-snagging movement last year and will pick up even stronger this season as last years start was when fall snagging was about to get underway.
A lot of things are in place for this years season.

I’ve had several emails regarding this thread and the last one where folk’s want to get involved.
Most every fishermen or smelt dipper I meet on the river is anti gill-netting.

So I am still hoping for more ideas on anti gill net bumper stickers and tee shirts.

I still have engrained in me those old bumper stickers that read; “Eat, Sleep and go Fishing” or “Save a Salmon, Eat a Seal”.

Bumper stickers can put forth a powerful message to a large percentage of the population especially if there are a large number of stickers being driven around or placed on non automotive fixtures!

This thread is not necessarily for critiquing bulletin boards or pro gill-net debates as we have already seen but for those of you that want to get involved and start working on the solution that so many of want to achieve.

Someone who is a little better PC oriented could start a web site for those of us that do use the net like boater suggested; stopgillnetting.com or bangillnetting.com

This gill net conflict has been around longer than I have been in the pacific northwest which has been approx. 15 years.
Didn't take me long to learn what gill netter's were once I moved here.

Seems I read where they really screwed up the sport springer season last year for those of you that fish them.

Look up the number of "late strain" hatchery coho that returned to the Kalama River hatchery last year after the run was forecast to be weak and they still gave netter's extra time.
Then there is the most important wild fish issues.

Dan