Decoys set day before Opner? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Tred73
Chromer

Default Decoys set day before Opner?

A place I have been hunting for the last 5 plus years is public. Last year I had guys setting up their decoys and heading back to camp etc. No one was there on there decoys.

Is this legal?

I have always been first come first serve and if you sleep on your decoys then it is yours. Last year I went to a different spot did fine, but this really annoyed me. I will be back doing my scouting Friday and this year going to hunt where I see the Mallards no matter what.

Tred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

Default Re: Decoys set day before Opner?

Federal Law: decoys may not be placed prior to 4am and may not be left unattended for more than 1hr. Call em in and take their spot after the warden is done.

Last edited by Dr Strangelove; 10-06-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Dr Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
nitrobass
Ifish Nate

I've always understood it that its midnight the night before(pretty early to shoot some ducks imo). I know summer lake pushed it to 4am starting last year.

Pretty sure if you dig deep enough you'll find the midnight rule..Fight them if you have the energy, hunt elsewhere if not.

Good hunting!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Dr Strangelove
Sturgeon

WDFW/Federal migratory waterfowl regs:
IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:
• Place waterfowl decoys prior to 4:00 a.m. (violation);
allow or permit waterfowl decoys to be unattended or not in your immediate control for a period greater than one hour (violation); or fail to remove waterfowl decoys within two hours after the close of established daily hunting hours on days open to waterfowl hunting on department owned or controlled lands, waters, or access areas.
• Place waterfowl decoys on lands or waters controlled by WDFW except as authorized by permit of the director, on days closed (violation on day before season opener) to waterfowl hunting on department owned or controlled lands, waters, or access areas.

There wouldn't have to be any fighting or confrontation; just call the warden after you notice the dekes the night before; he'll be waiting for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrobass View Post
I've always understood it that its midnight the night before(pretty early to shoot some ducks imo). I know summer lake pushed it to 4am starting last year.

Pretty sure if you dig deep enough you'll find the midnight rule..Fight them if you have the energy, hunt elsewhere if not.

Good hunting!

Last edited by Dr Strangelove; 10-06-2010 at 10:21 PM.
Dr Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Tred73
Chromer

I may have to give OSP a call if it happens again this year. I don't know if they will come out, but worth a shot.

I can't find anything in the Oregon synopsis about this issue.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
xstreme357
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
Federal Law: decoys may not be placed prior to 4am and may not be left unattended for more than 1hr. Call em in and take their spot after the warden is done.

amen. idk about or but wa its a no no unless it's private land.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
QH's Paw
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tred73 View Post
I may have to give OSP a call if it happens again this year. I don't know if they will come out, but worth a shot.

I can't find anything in the Oregon synopsis about this issue.
That's right, you can't find it in the Oregon regs because it is a Washington reg that applies to federal migratory birds, just like the regs state on the header.
Look on page 10 of Oregon Regs under "Decoys and Calls".
Except for WMAs there is nothing about time constraints or tending decoys in the Oregon regs.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 AM   #8
AtItAgain
Tuna!

A few years ago hunting Upper Klamath refuge I was shocked at the number of people doing this. Friday before opener I ran into at least 6 spreads with no one around.

Very annoying.
AtItAgain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #9
Gun Rod Bow

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 10-07-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
AtItAgain
Tuna!

Not less annoying, I just have not gone back. Plus the refuge rules.state that all equipment is to be removed at the end of the day.

I have no problem with decoys left out on private property or public land if you spend the night with them. But to set the decoy and leave to come back the next morning is just not appropriate in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

Quote:
WDFW/Federal migratory waterfowl regs:
IT IS UNLAWFUL TO:
Place waterfowl decoys prior to 4:00 a.m. (violation);
allow or permit waterfowl decoys to be unattended or not in your immediate control for a period greater than one hour (violation); or fail to remove waterfowl decoys within two hours after the close of established daily hunting hours on days open to waterfowl hunting on department owned or controlled lands, waters, or access areas.
I wish WA would rewrite this so it's easier for anyone to understand. I have had several guys call the game wardens on me for setting out goose decoys the night before a hunt on private land. On two of those hunts, WA game wardens were hunting with me- lol!

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
lor
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tred73 View Post
A place I have been hunting for the last 5 plus years is public. Last year I had guys setting up their decoys and heading back to camp etc. No one was there on there decoys.

Is this legal?

I have always been first come first serve and if you sleep on your decoys then it is yours. Last year I went to a different spot did fine, but this really annoyed me. I will be back doing my scouting Friday and this year going to hunt where I see the Mallards no matter what.
From the regs, this is only illegal in Oregon in the Columbia basin,AFAIK.
I've driven by some clubs on the westside with decoys out all the time.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Tred73
Chromer

So if it is legal on public marsh then I guess there will be a discussion when they show up and I am set up with there decoys gathered up for them. I am not going to get into a fight, but in my book people leaving decoys out the day before on PUBLIC is asking for problems. Like decoys being taken or moved etc. I have some boys that last year I was looking out for because it was there first season, but they see what goes on now. I hope all have a great opener.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
xstreme357
Sturgeon

^^ let us know how it goes!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
arkansasbasser
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtItAgain View Post
A few years ago hunting Upper Klamath refuge I was shocked at the number of people doing this. Friday before opener I ran into at least 6 spreads with no one around.

Very annoying.
So much for first come first served. You see this all the time in different situations, such as putting up tents in camping spots in public places but not camping until the next day just to hold the spot for them. What is wrong with people any more? Where is their sense of fairness? If you want that spot, get out there early enough to get it, not the day before. Quit being selfish and lazy.

I'm really surprised that there aren't more decoys that go missing when people do this. In the places that I hunted in Arkansas that is exactly what happened to them. So consequently this didn't happen too much down there. I'm not advocating doing this. Call the warden.
arkansasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #16
bigcheese
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkansasbasser View Post
So much for first come first served. You see this all the time in different situations, such as putting up tents in camping spots in public places but not camping until the next day just to hold the spot for them. What is wrong with people any more? Where is their sense of fairness? If you want that spot, get out there early enough to get it, not the day before. Quit being selfish and lazy.

I'm really surprised that there aren't more decoys that go missing when people do this. In the places that I hunted in Arkansas that is exactly what happened to them. So consequently this didn't happen too much down there. I'm not advocating doing this. Call the warden.
If its legal its legal, leave decoys out as long as you want is how I feel about it As far as the camping remark first come first serve, if you come the day before me and setup your camp, then I guess you got there first. If you can camp on public land for say 8 days in a givin spot before having to move, then whats wrong with leaving your camp? its your right to leave camp isnt it? I dont see where its unfair IMO
bigcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #17
Bait Bucket
King Salmon

Quote:
That Federal law must not apply in Louisiana. Most clubs there keep them out all season.

Last edited by Bait Bucket; 10-08-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Bait Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:07 AM   #18
AtItAgain
Tuna!

I think on public land if you don't stay with your decoys you can be cited for littering.

Although I could be wrong.