good kid lakes near Sunriver - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2002 archives

Old 06-29-2002, 04:30 PM   #1
blankman
Steelhead

Default good kid lakes near Sunriver

My family and I are going to Sunriver next week. I want to take my two daughters (4 and 8) for some lake fishing. Anyone have good recommendations? We will be bank fishing (but if there is a lake with boat rentals we might try this).

Any advice on lakes, good fishing spots, or gear/bait would be appreciated. I'm not looking to bring home a feast - just to have fun with my girls.

Thanks - jeff

blankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 04:38 PM   #2
santiamflyguy
Steelhead

Default Re: good kid lakes near Sunriver

the twin lakes over by wickiup tend to be good, and pretty easy fishing. there's a resort that'll rent you a boat and give you tips.

i don't have any more specifics than that 'cause i haven't fished over there in a few years, but thought i'd throw it out there.
santiamflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 05:25 PM   #3
troutguy04
Coho

South Twin lake is stocked heavily with 8-10 inch rainbows. I would use powerbait off of the bottom. Use a sliding egg sinker so that when the fish take the bait, they dont feel the sinker. It is a great place for little kids to catch trout.

[ 06-29-2002, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: troutguy04 ]
troutguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
Pirate
Ifish Nate

Blank
Santiam is right on..... South Twin is a great place. Small lake with lodge for tackle and supplies, restaurant with good food, shower facility and laundry for the campers. The lake is stocked with trout and also has a good number of bigger hold-overs. There are no motors allowed on the lake, so it is peacfull and quiet. Bank fishing is good on this lake too with Power Bait being an excellent producer in the past. There is also a nice trail around the lake for hiking and slooping beaches for good wading for the kids.
It's one of my favorite go-to places, I just haven't been for a long time. :depressed: I used to live in Bend.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
Deleted User

If you fish Twin get there early. Later in the afternoon it turns into a community pool. Also try Lava Lake for good bank fishing. Good luck and have fun.

Fool
Old 06-29-2002, 09:46 PM   #6
skeezer
Steelhead

my friend just got back from lava and said no one was catching anything for three days , maybe the weather ,dont know could of just been them [img]graemlins/idea.gif[/img]

good luck
skeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 06:32 AM   #7
blankman
Steelhead

Thanks for all of the good advice. My kids are good powerbaiters (we go to Northfork a few times a year), so we might try Twin or Lava.

I have also heard that Paulina or East lake are good. I don't know if they have bank spots, though, and I don't know if my 4 year old would have fun trolling ...
Old 06-30-2002, 09:58 AM   #8
troutguy04
Coho

I dont know about Paulina, but East has very limited bank access. It is a good place to troll though.
troutguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2002, 07:49 PM   #9
Deleted User

East lake has some good bank fishing right in front of the store. They get some BIG Browns in that spot. Fish early or late in the day.
Good Luck

Fool
Old 07-01-2002, 06:41 AM   #10
Get Bit
Ifish Nate

BM,
If you have access to a boat, raft, etc. or the bank works too, just a longer walk; don't be afraid to head over to North Twin Lake. It has alot less pressure then South Twin, and fishing with power bait with light lines can be quite good. We take the driftboat over and use two anchors to still fish with the microlights. We have never failed to catch a mess of fish. No motors here either and alot less traffic due to the primitive campsites. If fishing is no good there is a great sandy beach area for the kids to play. Good Luck !

Get Bit
Old 07-01-2002, 07:04 AM   #11
blankman
Steelhead

Can you bank fish for Kokonee? I have heard these are plentiful at East Lake or Paulina, but I don't know if you can get them from the bank.

thanks - jeff
Old 07-01-2002, 09:57 AM   #12
Phish_on
Tuna!

North Twin is a little less populated than South.

Bank fishing at East, you can't keep the chubs away.

check the stocking schedule for the Twin lakes. You could also try the Deschutes arm of Wickiup.

Rent a boat at Crane Prairie and kill some &%$#@ bass and whatever else "some bozo" has introduced into the former trophy trout fishery.

[ 07-01-2002, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Phish_on ]
Old 07-01-2002, 07:30 PM   #13
Deleted User

I'm with Phish.....I hate what the Bass have done to Crane [img]graemlins/berry.gif[/img]

Fool