Boned out a Mule Deer from Fort Rock Unit tonight, Green Puss???Updated!! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
draperd1
Steelhead

Default Boned out a Mule Deer from Fort Rock Unit tonight, Green Puss???Updated!!

I need your help with this if you have experience with it.

I boned out a 3x2 Muley from the Fort Rock unit tonight that a buddy of mine shot. Good bodied deer with a suprisingly good amount of fat on him. Well, I got in to the hind quarter and cutting up some HQ steak when all of a sudden I make a cut and a 1/8 inch diameter hole filled with a green "puss" looking substance was in the middle of the steak. I ran into about 8 or 10 of these spots. I set aside all of the cuts that had visible green ooozy stuff.

I asked my father-in-law what he though it was. He said he had seen it before with animals that had been shot by a bow hunter (I am a bow hunter so don't take that wrong) and survived or with an animal injured by a goring in a fight. I guess that would make it an ifection.
This theory would make more sense if there were only one or maybe two spots. This thing must have fallen on a pin cushion if that is the case.

Is there a known infection in deer that I don't know about that attacts the meat. I hate to say this but, COULD IT BE CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE??????? I don't know if that is a symptom or not so I may sound stupid throwing that out.

What are your facts and theories? I told my buddy to hold off on eating it until I get some answers.

Your helpo is greatly appreciated. Sorry I didn't think to take pictures.

I wanted to give y'all an update. I've done some foot work:

I spoke with a Biologist at ODFW. They said that cysts are not all that uncommon in deer and that it can be cut out of the meat and the good meat can be consumed as long as the cysts are encapsulated by meat or skin. However, I told her that in my case the cysts were in the middle of the meat. I asked her how I could be certain that I got all of the green stuff out if it is in the middle of the steak or hamburger. She said that this would be a case that the deer needed to be taken into the ODFW biologist and the tag would be re-validated. So, my plan is to have my buddy do that. He gets a second season out of it...Possibly.

What do you tell a guest when they come over and you feed them venison steak that has green puss pockets in it?

Flavor Crystals???

Last edited by draperd1; 10-05-2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: More knowledge
draperd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
TonTo
Tuna!

Default Re: Boned out a Mule Deer from Fort Rock Unit tonight, Green Puss???

Find any foreign matterial, broad head?, maybe shotgun pellets?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonTo View Post
Find any foreign matterial, broad head?, maybe shotgun pellets?
No broad head for sure but I think you may be on to something with the pellets. Maybe he was shot by a shotgun but I didn't come across any beebee's. My buddy might when he starts chewing though.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
DLAW
Coho

I shot a bear a couple seasons back and found in the butt area a stick that was lodged into the hind quarter, it was pussie and it had healed around it and closed on the hide side. Maybe a porci pine or something. Just my thought.
DLAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
daiello91
King Salmon

CWD doesn't attack the meat it attacks the central nerve system and brain so that shouldn't be the issue.

I'd take it to a ODFW check station and have them look at it.
daiello91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
Mossyhorn
Tuna!

Were they little round balls or long holes? I have found little white looking things in meat and they're tape worm cysts. They can be a little on the green side I guess sometimes.
Mossyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
Gun Rod Bow

In the rump predator (cougar) bites would be more likely.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Bring the meat to a butcher that processes game animals or possible a game biologist,maybe sour pocket?i think if it was any type of lead projectiles,they would be incased with scare tisssue possibly,sometimes looking at the liver and other organs can indicate an unhealhty animal.get the deer checked out!!
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:47 AM   #9
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyhorn View Post
Were they little round balls or long holes? I have found little white looking things in meat and they're tape worm cysts. They can be a little on the green side I guess sometimes.
They were a 1/2 to 3/4 inch tube of green goo and not ball shaped. I will ask the butcher we take it too. I did notice a couple of white stringy worm (very small diameter and 1/4" long) looking things in the meat come to think of it now that you mention that.

Also, there were no issues with the hide. No bite marks or tears or holes from broad heads.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
BanannaMan
Steelhead

Flavor nodule? Let us know if you friend keels over after eating the meat so we all will know what to do if we get one like that.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
fishhead69
Tuna!

cysts!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Some of my hunters came down off the ranch and my wife had dinner for them pesto spagetti ,after this thread not!rember have a butcher look at it.
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
blueduck
Ifish Nate

You could not pay me enough to even eat one bite of that deer. Think about it. Meat with puss pockets........Flesh is not supposed to have pockets of infection distrubuted through it. The infection is likely systemic and no way can that critter taste good or be healthy. Trash it.
blueduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
young_gun
Ifish Nate

Shot a deer with the same problem but i noticed it when skinning not deboning. After going deeper i discovered that the deer had been shot in the rear end with a shot gun.....birdshot......very unfortunate. Only got the front quarters, backstrap, and neck meat out of a pretty good buck. I shot him right in the head while he was bedded down, i always wondered if he were simply unable to get around?

Last edited by young_gun; 10-04-2010 at 05:24 PM.
young_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #15
SuperxJeff
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gun View Post
Shot a deer with the same problem but i noticed it when skinning not deboning. After going deeper i discovered that the deer had been shot in the rear end with a shot gun.....birdshot......very unfortunate. Only got the front quarters, backstrap, and neck meat out of a pretty good buck. I shot him right in the head while he was bedded down, i always wondered if he were simply unable to get around?
To each his own. i don't eat things that have infection in, near, or around it knowingly. Hate to waste but i would hate to get real sick even more. You could give some meat to guys at work and see how they look after eating it. Jeff
SuperxJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #16
draperd1
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_gun View Post
Unfortunately this gave no indication while skinning it out. Wish it did, that way we wouldn't have cut the dang thing up and packaged so much of it. Crikey.