Duck boat lighting help - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
blackdog
Ifish Nate

Default Duck boat lighting help

What are you all using for lights on your duck boats for those pre-dawn runs out to your favorite spots? A bow mounted light seems like it would be nice but it also seems like it's almost necessary to have a hand held spotlight of some kind that enables you to scan from side to side easily.

Maybe some of this will come to light at the OWF, but any thoughts and ideas now are appreciated.

blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Sunnygx
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Duck boat lighting help

It has been my experience that headlamps will most times do more harm that good. I use a spotlight but keep it off most of the time so I don't ruin my night vision. But make sure you have your law required nav. Lights so others can see you.
Sunnygx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
AtItAgain
Tuna!

Here you go this was discussed not to long ago.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...ht=boat+lights

I will add that I agree with Sunnygx, I usually see much better with only the legal lights and only use the spot light occasionally. Although there are some days where lights help most of the time they are worthless.

Last edited by AtItAgain; 08-18-2010 at 11:28 AM.
AtItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Old Guys Rule
Tuna!

I run a clip on low intensity bow light that does not reflect back at me and blind my forward vision. For a stern light I have a 12V trouble light on a post 6 feet above the boat. A few pieces of PVC pipe in a holder and I have a stern light that doubles as an elevated night light to set decoys out with. It all disassembles down to 3 ft sections and stows easily.

I always have 1, usually 2, handheld million candle power spotlights. Like previously mentioned, some days (like fog) it does not work, and you have to use the reflection off the water to see by, other days the light is a lifesaver and I can see great. Have to adjust to the conditions.

After 40 years of running the river I do not run upstream in the dark uless I can see well. Better to idle downstream to your spot or wait until daylight to motor upstream
Old Guys Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
blackdog
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtItAgain View Post
Here you go this was discussed not to long ago.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...ht=boat+lights

I will add that I agree with Sunnygx, I usually see much better with only the legal lights and only use the spot light occasionally. Although there are some days where lights help most of the time they are worthless.

Thanks! I remembered reading that post but for reason my 'search' skills failed me.
blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Duckdog98604
Tuna!

Cordless spotlight from Black & Decker. The best way to go and you can point it where you want to look at!!! Also it is alot safer when you are around other boats you don't want to blind them..
Duckdog98604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
MarshBum
Ifish Nate

I have to respond with my automatic request for those considering lights on their boats. Pretty please, use the required red/green nav light and the 360 white light. Pretty, please. With a cherry on top.

Us layout hunters need some time to get out of your way should you not see our 360 white. Often times a single 360 white is hard to judge distance from. We've had to bail before because we could hear a boat in the dark, but we could not see it. It gets the heart racing. Imagine being in a very small boat, with a little 360 light getting swallowed up the black, and there's nothing but inky water all around you. I've almost been run over twice by guys that did not light their boat and were running full throttle.

As far as lighting beyond that, if you ply waters that are known to have dead heads, I would suggest something that gives you visibility on the water out some moderate distance. This is the problem with relying on a GPS alone or your built in night vision. You won't see the dead head until you hit it.

Geoff

"But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come." Mark 4:29

I am the Coot Commander
MarshBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Pete Markantes
Steelhead

The Golight is my preferred solution for nightime navigation. It is remote controlled to sweep 370 rotation x 135 tilt and is powered via a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" port. While underway we typically use only intermittent lighting, turning on and off while avoiding "overunning" the lighted area.

Installing at the foremost position of the bow prevents "bounce back" issues normally associated with handheld devices. Mounted on a bracket, it is removable for storage when not in use.

Additional info can be found at http://www.golight.com/products/golight.html

Last edited by Pete Markantes; 08-18-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Added text.
Pete Markantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
jetblast
Steelhead

I don't know if anyone has tried running a light with a red or green filter. That may be a good compromise, but you would have to try it out. It would add light without having such a negative effect on your night vision as white light. Anybody tried it?
jetblast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

For the big boat I run a 12v handheld spot that plugs into a cigarette socket in the console. It's ment for ATV's and has a pivot mount that I adapted to a telescoping pole to gain height above all the gear in the bow. I can simply just twist the pole to pan side to side. I really don't find myself using it very much but sometimes you need it, particularly in strange waters. IMO, a GPS is also a good failsafe, as I've gotten tunred around in the fog to the point I wasn't quite sure where I was. Pretty scary deal at times.

For the small marshboats I like a high output LED headlamp, 50-60 lumen headlamps are common place anymore. And I have one that is so bright & focused it's all I use most of the time.

For what it's worth I haven't had very good luck w/ rechargable spotlights. They seem to always die on me way too fast and don't seem to be waterproof enough to last. The 12v plug in style always works, even when wet.
And when I need light..... I NEED LIGHT.

As for Nav lights, I agree w/ Geoff 110%. Their are many LED solutions today that don't require large batteries. Heck there is even a red/green nav bow flashlight that you can mount w/o difficultly at all.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Duckdog98604
Tuna!

For what it's worth I haven't had very good luck w/ rechargable spotlights. They seem to always die on me way too fast and don't seem to be waterproof enough to last. The 12v plug in style always works, even when wet.
And when I need light..... I NEED LIGHT.
^^^
Hunt&Fish

You guys need to try these!!! Ask anyone who knows me, I hunt a lot, sometimes 3-4 times a weeks during the season, all on the water out of my sleds or marsh rats. These are the Best lights Hands Down! you can also charge them with a regular extention cord and do not need a charger adapter.
Black and Decker VEC157BD 2 Million Power Series 1365 Lumens Spotlight

Last edited by Duckdog98604; 08-19-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Duckdog98604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
FishinTechnician
Chromer

I use a handheld large candlepower unit in conjuction with a small 12V battery, but only when I absolutely need it. I taped the handle of the light to a 4' long 2" dowel that rests on the bottom of the boat. That way I'm not holding that light up all the time and can easily manuver it to light up the area in front and around the boat.
FishinTechnician is offline   Reply With Quote